Nasa Climate Research Move May Go To Parliament

Lite Beer

Nasa climate research move may go to Parliament

The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- Plodprasob visited Washington DC recently and was interviewed by VOA's Thai-language service. He said officials at the US space agency understood the situation and told him that if Thailand gave the green light, about 100 NASA staff were ready to go to Thailand to conduct research.

"This is about science," Plodprasob was quoted as saying on VOA's website on July 7. "But the opposition cried out and newspapers fanned [the issue] and there were threats that the matter would be brought to court."

Plodprasob said the matter would be discussed in Parliament as per Article 179 of the charter. Article 179 allows the government to bring an important issue up for discussion but there would be no voting on the issue.

The minister also insisted that the majority of Thai people were well aware that Nasa wanted only to carry out scientific research that would benefit Thailand and nothing more. "Only a minority are misled," he said.

The government was accused by the opposition and other groups of wanting to help America carry out military reconnaissance that would upset China. But the minister reiterated that in the end, scientific "cooperation" was fine but Thailand must stand on her own feet.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-29

"But the minister reiterated that in the end, scientific "cooperation" was fine but Thailand must stand on her own feet."

And Plodprasob is a shining example of why that day is a long way off.

NASA could assist the esteemed minister in coming up with some computer models relating to increasing the the flow of rivers using vessel propellors to reduce flooding ...biggrin.png

• Like 1

"This is about science," Plodprasob was quoted as saying on VOA's website on July 7. "But the opposition cried out and newspapers fanned [the issue] and there were threats that the matter would be brought to court."

Amply demonstrated by the posts so far on here, each one trying to blame the government for the failure of the NASA project.

Whereas the reality of the matter was that the delay was incurred because the "treaty" with Nasa would have to be discussed in parliament unless the government wanted to "risk" not doing so. This of course was what the dems were threatening, brandishing Section 190 as their doctrine in the hope that the CC would get involved and dissolve the party if the "treaty with a foreign government" went ahead without discussion in parliament.

The PTP wish to redefine the scope of Section 190 as part of the charter rewrite / amendment.

In short, if you want to "do" science, study science, or confer with your local "scientific community", or all of the above, stay the hell out of Thailand.

Edited by meand

Didn't NASA already pull out saying that the time for a reply to the rrquest had passed?

Yes, I would expect that the money is still in the budget - so being the US government, will want to spend it - even if the timeframe for conducting research has past.

Didn't NASA already pull out saying that the time for a reply to the rrquest had passed?

Yes, I would expect that the money is still in the budget - so being the US government, will want to spend it - even if the timeframe for conducting research has past.

NASA struggling for survival and need any projects they can get for funding and to keep their people working.

Amply demonstrated by the posts so far on here, each one trying to blame the government for the failure of the NASA project.

Whereas the reality of the matter was that the delay was incurred because the "treaty" with Nasa would have to be discussed in parliament unless the government wanted to "risk" not doing so. This of course was what the dems were threatening, brandishing Section 190 as their doctrine in the hope that the CC would get involved and dissolve the party if the "treaty with a foreign government" went ahead without discussion in parliament.

The PTP wish to redefine the scope of Section 190 as part of the charter rewrite / amendment.

So from the time the project was first put forward until it was shelved how many times did parliament sit ? I guess they had much more pressing matters to debate such as money laundering and anti terrorist legislation. No wait they didn't get debated either, I wonder why not.

So from the time the project was first put forward until it was shelved how many times did parliament sit ? I guess they had much more pressing matters to debate such as money laundering and anti terrorist legislation. No wait they didn't get debated either, I wonder why not.

the more pressing matter was getting Brother #1 back in to lead the country...so one can well understand how this slipped through

Plodprasob visited Washington DC recently and was interviewed by VOA's Thai-language service. He said officials at the US space agency understood the situation and told him that if Thailand gave the green light, about 100 NASA staff were ready to go to Thailand to conduct research.

I assume those troops NASA staff are not really ready to go as some rapid deployment force on standby? Scientists like to plan and take their time, I think :-)

Edited by rubl

"But the minister reiterated that in the end, scientific "cooperation" was fine but Thailand must stand on her own feet." And Plodprasob is a shining example of why that day is a long way off.

yeah lets jut tell them we don't want you instead of US tell us to fucxk off

Background:

NASA Weather Project Deemed Insufficiently Illegal For US-Thai Standards

"According to Thai regulations, all co-operation with US agencies has to be covert, illegal, corrupt, destructive, underhanded, and in direct violation of the spirit or letter of known laws, international conventions, and human decency. This NASA project was just too un-unprincipled."

http://notthenation....thai-standards/

• Like 1

With the climatic changes taking place I cannot imagine any country, with one exception, that should not be very interested in climate research!

This isn't the end of climate research.

???I was responding to the quote above that implied that NASA/NOAA aka USA was not interested in weather research here. Certainly the research will not end but Thailand stands to loose some first class research experience by their rather bizarre refusal to join forces with US Scientists.

With the climatic changes taking place I cannot imagine any country, with one exception, that should not be very interested in climate research!

???I was responding to the quote above that implied that NASA/NOAA aka USA was not interested in weather research here. Certainly the research will not end but Thailand stands to loose some first class research experience by their rather bizarre refusal to join forces with US Scientists.

I read the quote above as suggestion that there are other additional but hidden interest by the US behind that climate research project.

Anyway its not the end of the world or the end of climate research that this NASA project was canceled, nor does that it mean that there is only one country left in the world that is totally uninterested in climate research.

The rather bizarre part was that deadline in their planning and to assume everybody would hurry up.

I read the quote above as suggestion that there are other additional but hidden interest by the US behind that climate research project.

Anyway its not the end of the world or the end of climate research that this NASA project was canceled, nor does that it mean that there is only one country left in the world that is totally uninterested in climate research.

The rather bizarre part was that deadline in their planning and to assume everybody would hurry up.

Rather difficult to discuss the subject with one who wishes to ignore the facts. The program had already been approved by the previous administration.Your name indicates it is perhaps you who have the ulterior motives.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

NASA could assist the esteemed minister in coming up with some computer models relating to increasing the the flow of rivers using vessel propellors to reduce flooding ...biggrin.png

The minister acted after that was suggested by another authority.