Gmo Food Regulations In Thailand - Anyone Know?

MisterMan

I dont understand people who dont mind eating food that is cultivated with pesticides but dont want to eat GMO food?

if you want to eat healthy, why not eat organic only?

chemicals and pesticides are okay but modifying the plants to be immune to pesticides is not?

No, it's not.. those modified to be immune to pesticides require even more pesticides and insecticides than those not modified. They are exploding the insects stomachs while creating superweeds and superbugs creating a vicious cycle of constantly needing more poisons sprayed on the food. GMO's are not something that can occur naturally in nature. Frogs and tomatoes don't breed together and share DNA. They are playing God when they alter these foods and GMO's in many studies have been found to negatively affect all organs of the body and create huge cancerous tumors. The US has allowed Monsanto to conduct its own tests on their safety and they have never done any long term studies... Yes, Organic is the way to go but once GMO;s are introduced their cross pollination contaminate any conventionally grown or organically grown crops nearby, therefore resulting in Organic not being organic anymore under the conventional definition of the term. It's important Thailand keep GMO's out as many countries will not buy their products if found to contain GMO's. More countries are constantly being added to the list of banning GMO's outright.. GMO's now have taken over aprox. 95% of some types of American crops such as corn, soybeans and sugar beets..

Anyone who has Gram Parsons as an avatar must be rightcowboy.gif

Who is Graham Parsons? My profile pic is David Gilmour.. :)

Monsanto should have a big presence here. It is an awesome company that has done more than any other to improve on rough nature and alleviate hunger all over the globe.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, joking or just uninformed.. Nutritional values are much lower in GMO foods, toxins are prevalent as seen in study after study causing huge tumorous growths. They are creating superbugs and superweeds with their nasty insecticides and pesticides.. They are contaminating water resources with these chemicals also. Organic no longer exists with Monsanto. Their DDT poisoned many rivers and lakes where i live causing all the fish to be inedible. Their agent orange has taken out forests in the matter of seconds burning scores people alive. Once GMO's are let in they are very hard to eradicate, their cross contamination pollination ruins all organic crops anywhere nearby. If Monsantos products are so great why don't they label them and why do they spend 10's of millions to keep them unlabeled? Also, why have so many countries outright banned them if they are so great? and... why are so many farmers committing suicide in India (1 every hour and now more than 17,000 of them) and other places, that have used the GMO seeds? They are not what we are led to believe.. Please keep GMO's out of Thailand!! If they are to be used, they must be thoroughly tested in an enclosed environment to keep them from spreading to conventionally grown crops.

I would suggest you read this person's three posts and maybe do some research too.

I don't see any other posts by this person on this thread...Am i missing something?? ... and didn't know i had to read a whole thread to respond to someone. Also, what is it you feel i need to research??

Monsanto should have a big presence here. It is an awesome company that has done more than any other to improve on rough nature and alleviate hunger all over the globe.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, joking or just uninformed.. Nutritional values are much lower in GMO foods, toxins are prevalent as seen in study after study causing huge tumorous growths. They are creating superbugs and superweeds with their nasty insecticides and pesticides.. They are contaminating water resources with these chemicals also. Organic no longer exists with Monsanto. Their DDT poisoned many rivers and lakes where i live causing all the fish to be inedible. Their agent orange has taken out forests in the matter of seconds burning scores people alive. Once GMO's are let in they are very hard to eradicate, their cross contamination pollination ruins all organic crops anywhere nearby. If Monsantos products are so great why don't they label them and why do they spend 10's of millions to keep them unlabeled? Also, why have so many countries outright banned them if they are so great? and... why are so many farmers committing suicide in India (1 every hour and now more than 17,000 of them) and other places, that have used the GMO seeds? They are not what we are led to believe.. Please keep GMO's out of Thailand!! If they are to be used, they must be thoroughly tested in an enclosed environment to keep them from spreading to conventionally grown crops.

I would suggest you read this person's three posts and maybe do some research too.

I don't see any other posts by this person on this thread...Am i missing something?? ... and didn't know i had to read a whole thread to respond to someone. Also, what is it you feel i need to research??

I meant your posts.

I also saw a lot of news about mon. from fb so if interested do some research as mon is a big news maker without making it into the news if you catch my drift.

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with requiring labels, I just think after all this time if this stuff was causing health problems there would be evidence of it. Considering the amount of people out there that want there to be something wrong with it, if there were, you'd probably have heard about it by now.

For those of us who have followed this subject, there are countless studies demonstrating the ill effects of Frankenstein Food. What you must not dismiss is the power and money spent to keep you in the dark. You cannot beat Mother Nature. These poisons are illegal in most European countries and people simply want to know what they are eating. Is GMO labeling too much to ask?
  • Like 1

In regards to the OP's question....it really doesn't matter what regulations are in place in Thailand. All laws here are only used when someone can make money. Selective enforcement if you will. We are not in Kansas anymore...

• Like 1

I dont understand people who dont mind eating food that is cultivated with pesticides but dont want to eat GMO food?

if you want to eat healthy, why not eat organic only?

chemicals and pesticides are okay but modifying the plants to be immune to pesticides is not?

No, it's not.. those modified to be immune to pesticides require even more pesticides and insecticides than those not modified.  They are exploding the insects stomachs while creating superweeds and superbugs creating a vicious cycle of constantly needing more poisons sprayed on the food.  GMO's are not something that can occur naturally in nature.  Frogs and tomatoes don't breed together and share DNA.  They are playing God when they alter these foods and GMO's in many studies have been found to negatively affect all organs of the body and create huge cancerous tumors.  The US has allowed Monsanto to conduct its own tests on their safety and they have never done any long term studies...  Yes, Organic is the way to go but once GMO;s are introduced their cross pollination contaminate any conventionally grown or organically grown crops nearby, therefore resulting in Organic not being organic anymore under the conventional definition of the term.  It's important Thailand keep GMO's out as many countries will not buy their products if found to contain GMO's.  More countries are constantly being added to the list of banning GMO's outright..  GMO's now have taken over aprox. 95% of some types of American crops such as corn, soybeans and sugar beets..
Anyone who has Gram Parsons as an avatar must be rightPosted Image
Who is Graham Parsons?  My profile pic is David Gilmour.. :) 
My bad, they look similar so young

GP was a singer/ songwriter

Wrote wild horses w/ keith richards

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

In regards to the OP's question....it really doesn't matter what regulations are in place in Thailand. All laws here are only used when someone can make money. Selective enforcement if you will. We are not in Kansas anymore...

Maybe it won't matter what Thailand decides to enforce or not. Russia is getting into the discussion with a level of interest I find refreshing. Somebody needs to break into the control links between Monsanto and the US Federal Agencies whistling.gif :

"The shocking minutes relating to President Putin’s meeting this past week with US Secretary of State John Kerry reveal the Russian leaders “extreme outrage” over the Obama regimes continued protection of global seed and plant bio-genetic giants Syngenta and Monsanto in the face of a growing “bee apocalypse” that the Kremlin warns “will most certainly” lead to world war. According to these minutes, released in the Kremlin today by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment of the Russian Federation (MNRE), Putin was so incensed over the Obama regimes refusal to discuss this grave matter that he refused for three hours to even meet with Kerry, who had traveled to Moscow on a scheduled diplomatic mission, but then relented so as to not cause an even greater rift between these two nations."

http://topinfopost.com/2013/05/28/russia-warns-obama-monsanto

I like that the article posted the graphics that are frequently re-posted by people on facebook... the "5 Reasons GMOs are a recipe for GLobal Famine" and the Diagram showing the number of industry people embedded in high level government posts. Too bad it didn't show that former Monsanto lawyer Clarance Thomas is now a Supreme Court Judge who helps issue these corporate favoring decisions.

Edited by RPCVguy
  • Like 1

Correction to my story post above about Putin...

As much as I would like Putin to care this much about the bee crisis, this thing that has been circulating online for the past week or two is just not true. I've spent time since I first saw it and everything led back to the same website which had lots of other questionable "facts" and stories. I even went on the links to the Russian agencies in the article and found absolutely nothing. Finally Snopes has listed it as false... http://www.snopes.com/politics/conspiracy/monsanto.asp

I do strive to report facts, and needed this correction to be made to my posting. sorry.gif

Correction to my story post above about Putin...

As much as I would like Putin to care this much about the bee crisis, this thing that has been circulating online for the past week or two is just not true. I've spent time since I first saw it and everything led back to the same website which had lots of other questionable "facts" and stories. I even went on the links to the Russian agencies in the article and found absolutely nothing. Finally Snopes has listed it as false... http://www.snopes.com/politics/conspiracy/monsanto.asp

I do strive to report facts, and needed this correction to be made to my posting. sorry.gif

Thanks, will check this out further but Snopes is not the "final word" on much and trusted little by many of the informed. They are a husband and wife team with no investigators, forensic scientists or anything like that.. see what they say on 9-11 or Boston Marathon, etc and you might find they are a bit partisan..

Yet one of the major shareholders of Monsanto, Bill Gates will not eat anything Monsanto!

I don't have a problem with requiring labels, I just think after all this time if this stuff was causing health problems there would be evidence of it. Considering the amount of people out there that want there to be something wrong with it, if there were, you'd probably have heard about it by now.

For those of us who have followed this subject, there are countless studies demonstrating the ill effects of Frankenstein Food. What you must not dismiss is the power and money spent to keep you in the dark. You cannot beat Mother Nature. These poisons are illegal in most European countries and people simply want to know what they are eating. Is GMO labeling too much to ask?

Obviously it's waaaay to much to ask, as US citizens have sent more than 1 million letters and corporations have spent 10's of million to keep it a secret.

• Like 1

Japan just suspended wheat imports from the USA. GMO Wheat was found.

"The US Agriculture Department announced the discovery of the modified wheat on Wednesday. No genetically engineered wheat has been approved in the United States for commercial production."
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/asia-concerns-spread-due-to-rogue-us-whe/694398.html

Reuters also reports the story http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/31/us-wheat-korea-idUSBRE94U0KW20130531
but their version adds that

"Still, South Korea - which last year sourced roughly half of its total wheat imports of 5 million tonnes from the U.S. - has also raised quarantine measures on U.S. wheat bought to feed livestock, while Thailand put ports on alert."

Three stories of GMO, in three different nations, yet I believe they deserve to be reviewed together. Yes, Thailand does ban the import of GMO except for research purposes - but what safety is there in field testing, even if for research purposes?

1. Naresuan University, Thailand — at the agricultural research station at Bueng Ratchanok Wang Thong district of Phitsanulok s preparing to make their first field tests with a variety of genetically modified corn http://www.isaaa.org/kc/cropbiotechupdate/article/default.asp?ID=10718
    (Note though that the reason given does not relate to the properties of glyphosate resistance for the indicated GMO.
  2. Oregon, USA — Field tests done and ended in 2005 on GMO Wheat did not succeed in quarantining the foreign genes as wheat from Oregon in a shipment to Japan, turned out to be a rogue descendant of the experiment - resulting this past Friday (see my last post) in all importers of US wheat now looking askance at the purity of the crops. I much prefer the outrage in the tone in this article to the links provided in my prior post. Being outraged is deserved. Monsanto's control of the USDA, the FDA and of congress - that control must end. http://www.naturalnews.com/040572_Japan_GE_wheat_genetic_pollution.html
  3. MANILA, Philippines — The Court of Appeals has stopped the nationwide field testing of genetically modified eggplants in the country. In a 26-page decision issued on May 17 but only announced Friday, the appellate court’s Special 13th division through Associate Justice Isaias Dicdican ruled that “the field trials of genetically modified organisms Bacillus thuringiensis (bt) eggplants could not be declared…as safe to human health and to our ecology with full scientific certainty, being an alteration of an otherwise natural state of affairs in our ecology.”

Seeing that field testing DOES lead to escaped pollen that pollutes the genetics of crops in an ever increasing circle of generational pollution, why exactly are field tests being scheduled for Thailand? Are there authorities in Thailand who might yet choose to use the precautionary principle as the courts in the Philippines just cited in their decision?

Here is the rest of the news article I just saw on that court decision in Manilla:

A GMO eggplant is genetically altered with a gene from the Bt bacteria allowing it to produce its own pesticide. The appeals court said there is still no full scientific certainty on the effects of the Bt talong (eggplant) to the environment and to the health of the people. The environmentalist group Greenpeace on Friday welcomed the ruling by the appeals court and reiterated its stand that field testing of the Bt talong is harmful to humans and the environment. “We commend the Court of Appeals for living up to its constitutionally mandated role as protector of constitutional rights,” said Daniel Ocampo, Greenpeace Southeast Asia’s sustainable agriculture campaigner.

“This landmark decision reflects that there are indeed flaws and lapses in the current regulatory process for Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) such as Bt eggplant which exposes our environment and health to unknown long-term consequences and does not establish their safety in any way,” he said in a press statement. In its May 17 decision granting a “Writ of Kalikasan” to stop the field trials, the appellate court ordered the respondents, including the Environmental Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, to “permanently cease and desist from further conducting Bt talong field trials.” The Writ of Kalikasan is a legal remedy under the new rules of procedure for environmental cases. The ruling also directed the respondents to “protect, preserve, rehabilitate and restore the environment in accordance with the foregoing judgement of the court.” The court said even the bevy of local and foreign experts presented by proponents of the purportedly pest-resistant eggplants are all agreed that aside from the fact that there are no laws regulating the field testing of genetically-modified plants, their safety cannot fully be guaranteed.

For this reason, the court said: “This is where the precautionary principle sets in which states that, when human activities may lead to threats of serious and irreversible damage to the environment that is scientifically plausible but uncertain, actions shall be taken to avoid or diminish the threat.”

Petitioners, led by environmental group Greenpeace and Masipag – the latter an organization of farmers and scientists for sustainable agriculture filed the petition with the Supreme Court last year. They said the government’s GMO approval and regulatory system violates the Filipino’s right to a balanced and healthful ecology. They said Bt eggplant and other GMO crops are dangerous to human health and the environment. They also pointed that scientific tests on laboratory animals fed GMO food such as the Bt eggplant have shown that GMOs affect their liver, kidneys and blood. Other petitioners include former Rep. Teddy Casiño, Puerto Princesa Mayor Edward Hagedorn, folk singer Noel Cabangon and scientist Dr. Ben Malayang III.

Named as respondents were the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, the Department of Agriculture, University of the Philippines (UP) Los Baños Foundation Inc., UP Mindanao Foundation Inc. and International Service for the Acquisition of Agri-biotech Applications. At the time of the filing of the suit, field testing of genetically modified eggplant had already been done in Pangasinan, Laguna and Camarines Sur while others were still being conducted in Kabacan, North Cotabato. Ocampo said the court’s decision would have a resounding impact on the future of agriculture in the Philippines and how food production is being done in our country.

Also, i read a news article that Monsanto is giving up in Europe, that is a good victory. In itself I have nothing against GMO as long as it does not influences normal products and it is labeled this way so we can make a choice.

Of course it must be tested and deemed safe, but I have no objections to GMO if it is safe (tested well) and does not influence other crops or nature too much ect.

Also, i read a news article that Monsanto is giving up in Europe, that is a good victory. In itself I have nothing against GMO as long as it does not influences normal products and it is labeled this way so we can make a choice.

Of course it must be tested and deemed safe, but I have no objections to GMO if it is safe (tested well) and does not influence other crops or nature too much ect.

I wouldn't object to GMO either - if those conditions were met...

The problem is the industry studies have been short term, and the few being published that are longer term are indeed showing health effects. The premise that one gene => one protein or one trait has been shown to be false. Links to cancers and allergies are to be expected The claim that cross contamination won't happen has also been demonstrated as false. Basically the field studies and worse commercial planting of GMO has already opened Pandora's box for each of said crops. beatdeadhorse.gif

The data posted here but scratches the surface of what has been published. Except possibly for transfer of an existing virus immunity

from other plants of the same species as looks to be what was done for papaya, I see no good for biodiversity or health by allowing these seed lines to spread. Many nations have adopted a similar concept. AVOID allowing the spread of GMO so as to at least do no harm.

This should get expensive for Monsanto AND rationally, it should stop any more field tests of any crops.

The next wave of farmer backlash against Monsanto has just been unleashed by Ernest Barnes, a wheat farmer in Morton County, Kansas. He filed suit this week in the U.S. District Court in Wichita, Kansas, alleging that Monsanto's genetic pollution has financially damaged himself and other farmers.

Barnes' case appears to be well supported by the facts: Last week the USDA announced the shock discovery that genetically engineered wheat strains from Monsanto's open-field experiments had escaped and spread into commercial wheat farms. Almost immediately, Japan and South Korea cancelled wheat purchase contracts from the United States, and more cancellations are expected to follow. The more countries reject U.S. wheat due to GMO contamination (genetic pollution), the lower wheat prices will plunge and the more economic damage will be felt by U.S. farmers.

As Yahoo News reports:

The petition filed by Barnes claims Monsanto knew there was a high risk the genetically modified wheat it was testing could contaminate other varieties of wheat, and the company failed to follow proper procedures to keep the wheat contained.

Monsanto tested the wheat in many states, including Kansas, the top U.S. wheat-producing state, but did not disclose to farmers in those states that it was testing the controversial wheat there, the petition states.

Monsanto to sue the farmers?
Monsanto claims it will mount a "vigorous defense" against the lawsuit, expressing that it takes no responsibility whatsoever for all the genetic pollution it spews across America's farm lands. If Monsanto's genetically modified, toxin-producing crops just happen to infect your commercial crops, then that's your fault!

http://www.naturalnews.com/040625_lawsuit_monsanto_genetic_pollution.html#ixzz2VKcp8Geu