Gmo Food Regulations In Thailand - Anyone Know?

MisterMan

HI can someone tell me what the current GMO labeling regulations are and also is Thailand, "besides accidentally" growing, and or allowed to grow GMO crops.

Scary when I went to Monsanto's website they have a huge presence here. Food should be simple, not bio-engineered!

But really I just want the Thai regulations. Will send a message too them too and see if they answer me ?

Also want to know specifically does Thailand grow soybean and particularity is it GMO ?

post-46666-0-34230900-1343546048_thumb.j

Edited by MisterMan
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

its amazing how little information there is about this.

Even more amazing how it is even allowed into our food supply without any long term testing,apparently the US FDA is allowing the biotech companies to do "their own safety tests" , and the Biotech companies state that food safety is not their responsibility but the FDA's.

Meanwhile independent studies show massive issues with cancer and premature death in rats.

Yet this stuff is even in newborn babyfood without as much as requiring a label stating that it is in there. And trying to find info about the thai market is very difficult.

• Like 2

It'd seem like if this stuff was actually causing problems in humans that someone somewhere might have gotten wind of it by now, no? So far all the concerns raised seem to be coming primarily from groups not doing any of their own research, aren't scientists, who just don't like the idea of it and are fans of the growing hobby of conspiracy theorizing.

It'd seem like if this stuff was actually causing problems in humans that someone somewhere might have gotten wind of it by now, no? So far all the concerns raised seem to be coming primarily from groups not doing any of their own research, aren't scientists, who just don't like the idea of it and are fans of the growing hobby of conspiracy theorizing.

I'm perfectly fine with not eating GMO crops and I'd prefer that Monsanto not have any presence here in Thailand. conspiracy theory or not.

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with requiring labels, I just think after all this time if this stuff was causing health problems there would be evidence of it. Considering the amount of people out there that want there to be something wrong with it, if there were, you'd probably have heard about it by now.

Edited by farang000999

I suppose the problem is that it's impossible to link a specific human death, cancer, kidney failure, food allergy to specific food ingested over several years. There were scientists in France who have done controlled tests on rats and the outcome was bad.

The segment in the movie Food Inc. about Monasanto wasn't positive either.

What an individual chooses to believe is up to them. Thailand doesn't need monsanto.

Again," Mai pen rai" attitude prevails

Papaya had been contaminated in 2004, may be you heard of the GE Papaya scandal.

They started growing it in open field without separating or protecting the other crops next to it.

Bananas chilies and cotton got contaminated too.

I don't know where you got the information that the GMO papaya contaminated banana, chilies and cotton. Personally, I don't believe that it would be possible for this to happen.

Contaminated because of the same negligence, off course from the same breed !

http://www.gmcontaminationregister.org/index.php?content=re®=cou.18&inc=0&con=0&cof=0&year=0

Edited by Kitsune
  • Like 2

Sorry, I thought you were saying that somehow the GMO papaya had contaminated the other species. But personally, I feel that the sweet corn with the BT gene and papaya with the Ringspot virus coat gene are safe and I eat them routinely.

I would rather have a sweet papaya from a healthy GMO plant than a crappy papaya from a half dead plant full of Ringspot virus. I would also rather have a nice ear of sweet corn with the BT than a ear of corn full of Asian Corn borers and the pesticides that the farmer used trying to kill them.

Edited by Pacificperson

Sorry, I thought you were saying that somehow the GMO papaya had contaminated the other species. But personally, I feel that the sweet corn with the BT gene and papaya with the Ringspot virus coat gene are safe and I eat them routinely.

I would rather have a sweet papaya from a healthy GMO plant than a crappy papaya from a half dead plant full of Ringspot virus. I would also rather have a nice ear of sweet corn with the BT than a ear of corn full of Asian Corn borers and the pesticides that the farmer used trying to kill them.

I think the topic is a question about the current regulation, not on whether GMO is safe.

I am not interested in having a pro-against GMO debate here sorry

Edited by Kitsune

I dont understand people who dont mind eating food that is cultivated with pesticides but dont want to eat GMO food?

if you want to eat healthy, why not eat organic only?

chemicals and pesticides are okay but modifying the plants to be immune to pesticides is not?

• 4 weeks later...

There is a significant difference in what was done for GMO papaya vs what was done for GMO corn, canola, soy and now rice.

The Papaya versions of GMO which used the virus resistance of some papaya and transferred that gene into other papaya ... not too unlike generating hybrids by cross polination, but accomplished using gene splicing technology.

The GMO of most plants that are on the market are introducing traits from entirely different species in the expectation that that gene will only carry that one trait and won't affect the plant's other characteristics. The most common characteristics so far are to be glyphosate resistant (not killed by that herbicide) or to have the plant produce pesticides internally, typically Bt-toxin, so as to not need pesticides. The USA has gone GMO crazy with their Food And Drug agency having former employees of Monsanto at the top and throughout the agency. Even the US State Department has been shown to be applying pressure on other nations to adopt GMO seed lines (as shown by wiki-leaks)

In Asia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, China, Japan and the Philippines all have laws limiting GMO foods. Both Sri Lanka and Thailand had bans on imported GMOs as early as 2001, while the rest of the countries have had more recent bans.

The above article appears in different forms in diffreent websites, which then begs this question - How is Naresuan University, Thailand preparing to make their first field tests with a variety of genetically modified (GM) corn, says a news report. According to Suchin Chinayon, Naresuan University Rector, the institution is prepared to start the project that will take approximately seven months. Preliminary preparations are being conducted by the Faculty of Agriculture to test genetically modified glyphosate resistant maize NK603. Initial tests were already conducted in a small contained plot at the agricultural research station at Bueng Ratchanok Wang Thong district of Phitsanulok.

http://www.isaaa.org/kc/cropbiotechupdate/article/default.asp?ID=10718

The theory sounds nice until details of practice are examined too... then far more caution seems very necessary indeed. This video is narrated by Dr David Suzuki, a geneticist who has a 25 year career history in science, including one of the largest genetics labs in Canada.

• Like 1

I recall reading something last year regarding GMO foods in Thailand. I believe the article mentioned tightening regulations due to issues with exporting GMO products to the EU but I can't recall exactly. I'll see if I can find the article again but I suspect any labeling requirements are export oriented.

Edited by CPT

I dont understand people who dont mind eating food that is cultivated with pesticides but dont want to eat GMO food?

if you want to eat healthy, why not eat organic only?

chemicals and pesticides are okay but modifying the plants to be immune to pesticides is not?

No, it's not.. those modified to be immune to pesticides require even more pesticides and insecticides than those not modified. They are exploding the insects stomachs while creating superweeds and superbugs creating a vicious cycle of constantly needing more poisons sprayed on the food. GMO's are not something that can occur naturally in nature. Frogs and tomatoes don't breed together and share DNA. They are playing God when they alter these foods and GMO's in many studies have been found to negatively affect all organs of the body and create huge cancerous tumors. The US has allowed Monsanto to conduct its own tests on their safety and they have never done any long term studies... Yes, Organic is the way to go but once GMO;s are introduced their cross pollination contaminate any conventionally grown or organically grown crops nearby, therefore resulting in Organic not being organic anymore under the conventional definition of the term. It's important Thailand keep GMO's out as many countries will not buy their products if found to contain GMO's. More countries are constantly being added to the list of banning GMO's outright.. GMO's now have taken over aprox. 95% of some types of American crops such as corn, soybeans and sugar beets..

Anyone who has Gram Parsons as an avatar must be rightcowboy.gif

Monsanto should have a big presence here. It is an awesome company that has done more than any other to improve on rough nature and alleviate hunger all over the globe.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, joking or just uninformed.. Nutritional values are much lower in GMO foods, toxins are prevalent as seen in study after study causing huge tumorous growths. They are creating superbugs and superweeds with their nasty insecticides and pesticides.. They are contaminating water resources with these chemicals also. Organic no longer exists with Monsanto. Their DDT poisoned many rivers and lakes where i live causing all the fish to be inedible. Their agent orange has taken out forests in the matter of seconds burning scores people alive. Once GMO's are let in they are very hard to eradicate, their cross contamination pollination ruins all organic crops anywhere nearby. If Monsantos products are so great why don't they label them and why do they spend 10's of millions to keep them unlabeled? Also, why have so many countries outright banned them if they are so great? and... why are so many farmers committing suicide in India (1 every hour and now more than 17,000 of them) and other places, that have used the GMO seeds? They are not what we are led to believe.. Please keep GMO's out of Thailand!! If they are to be used, they must be thoroughly tested in an enclosed environment to keep them from spreading to conventionally grown crops.

I would suggest you read this person's three posts and maybe do some research too.

• Like 1

It was Monsanto who tried to patent the tomato seed. I believe they didn't succeed. They are a force to be reckoned with - be careful. But to the issue - just go and have a look at a carrot in any Big C or supermarket. Then look at the one next to it. then taste one. Then go to your local market - see the difference. The GMO thing is already here.

More and more countries are banning GMO. Thailand banned GMO in 2001 - but everyone considers the topic as still totally open. Why? Maybe because there so rarely is any enforcement, or more precisely, enforcement is sporadically applied.

As an example of what steps will be needed to eradicate the growing genetic pollution (because unlike chemical or radioactive spills, GMO spreads and grows) I thoroughly appreciated the way Hungary just dealt with an infestation there. They burned the crops in the fields.
The company that sold the seed faced claims from multiple farmers and is now in liquidation.

"Hungary has taken a stand against Monsanto and GMO corn by
destroying around 1000 acres of GMO corn - said Hungary deputy state
secretary of the Ministry of Rural Development - Lajos Bognar."

http://www.naturalcuresnotmedicine.com/2013/05/hungary-destroys-all-monsanto-gmo-corn.html

clap2.gif Bravo! A government concerned with protecting its people.

• Like 2