Out Witting Thai Police By Being Witless

Felix Lynn

On the next Thailand Today,

Beating vehicle accident liability by saying: “Mai Cow Jai???” An interview with a man who out witted Thai police by being witless.

More discussion on cross cultural child rearing Thailand, in an interview with Dr. Jim Wellington. He says there is plenty to worry about when a culture tells you…

“…having good manners is more important than telling the truth

in a confronting, direct way…”

Also, rape and violence involving foreigners makes more headlines…

And will a ban on alcohol advertising make you a good boy and girl?

On the next Thailand Today, each Monday, Wednesday and Friday, at 5am, 1pm and 9pm, only on http://www.radiobangkok.net Hot in the city!

This quick note, please visit our website and take our Radio Bangkok

Survey. It takes only a couple of minutes. Also, Radio Bangkok reaches

150,000 listeners a month and if you or your company would like to

sponsor Thailand Today or any of our shows, visit our website or email us at

[email protected]

Also, rape and violence involving foreigners makes more headlines…

And will a ban on alcohol advertising make you a good boy and girl?

You wrote Felix.

What I('ve) read is that alcohol, rape and/or violence are closely linked (not only in Thailand).

Will that ban reduce alcohol abuse? Will the reduced intake of alcohol also reduce rape and/or violence?

What was or still is the impact on the big thai anti-illegal drug campaign?

I see no change in thai society. Do you see any improvements?

It is greedy and corrupt.

And do good manners include cheating the people?

More basic questions as: What is it with thai education system that makes people the way they are? Remain unanswered.

Some relevant questions to farang listeners would be: Would you send your farang child to a thai school? Why or why not.

I suppose we all would learn a lot from these replies. As indeed, I meet people who do not have a thai school education, but a traditional country side family education, they are different...

Why is the gap between traditional family values and school (official) education values so wide. It did not seem there was such gap in Africa, anyway not in East Africa. But there is such gap in values eg within the N.African communities in Europe, where father and sons do not understand each others values...

An answer to this would maybe clear a way to understand why thai society evolves as it is.

Have a nice day all.

Beating vehicle accident liability by saying: “Mai Cow Jai???” An interview with a man who out witted Thai police by being witless.

Although this would undoubtedly be an interesting and probably humerous topic to read on a public forum like ThaiVisa, do you think it's prudent to put such a topic to air?

You could be accused of promoting violation/evasion of activities of the Royal Thai Police.

Just my own personal opinion... :o

Hands up those of us that don't play dumb when stopped by the police? :o

Or to put it another way.....How many of us are stupid enough to say something like; "Yes officer, I know I was doing 180kph in a 90 zone. I like driving at 180 and even if you give me a ticket it still isn't going to deter me from speeding in the future".

Isn't our usual (playing dumb) replies one of the following lines;

"Sorry officer, but I don't live around here."

"I thought it was allowed to do that."

"Mai Kow Chai, Khap"

"Huh?"

"But the British Embassy said that I could ride at 120kph through a village and knockdown up to 3 little old ladies on Thursday afternoons between 3 - 4pm."

"Can I pay the fine here and now?"

"Sorry officer, but I don't understand. I'm trying to get to such-and-such a place."

"Mai Ruu."

:D

Or to put it another way.....How many of us are stupid enough to say something like; "Yes officer, I know I was doing 180kph in a 90 zone. I like driving at 180 and even if you give me a ticket it still isn't going to deter me from speeding in the future".

"Mai Kow Chai, Khap"

"Huh?"

"But the British Embassy said that I could ride at 120kph through a village and knockdown up to 3 little old ladies on Thursday afternoons between 3 - 4pm."

"Sorry officer, but I don't understand. I'm trying to get to such-and-such a place."

"Mai Ruu."

Well said, I have NEVER paid a fine to a Policeman as I just pretend i have not got a clue what he is going on about, even if they try and use expressions like "Whoosh" and move their hands very quickly through the air.

I just talk very fast in English, and this has got me off the hook in the past. they just gave up and waved me on my way. that bit I DID understand :D

"Mai Kow Chai, Khap"

"Huh?"

"Mai Ruu."

Well said, I have NEVER paid a fine to a Policeman as I just pretend i have not got a clue what he is going on about, even if they try and use expressions like "Whoosh" and move their hands very quickly through the air.

I just talk very fast in English, and this has got me off the hook in the past. they just gave up and waved me on my way. that bit I DID understand :D

Your lucky, because driving hwgy 304 the checkpoint in front of the hgwy police station on the way to korat if you tell them mai kow jai they will just write you out a ticket and politely tell you in english to pay inside.

Barry

I got stopped for speeding one time comeing back to BKK. I was prepareing my IDUNNO face and he starts speaking english. BIG surprise. He was real nice told me to slow down we talked about the states, he had been to California, Very nice guy he smiled as he gave me the ticket :o

Is there a listen again section where we can listen to the show if we missed the broadcast?

It's coming any day now. We'll have podcasting and downloads for all archived shows. It's really finally going to happen.

You can tune into tonight's show at 9pm. I interview "Mut" from Bangkok. She'll be a semi regular, recapping stories about Farangs in the Thai language press that don't make it into the Thailand English dailies. Tonight she tells me about a German guy who hands over his life savings to a bargirl for sinsot and then she disappears! ...a tragedy but compelling.