72-Year-Old Briton Found Dead In Chon Buri, Police Suspect He Was Killed

webfact

Can't we save the clandestine filming of alleged criminals until after the police and Thai prosecutors have finished with this case ?

I'd flip if anyone started filming me and friends / relations going about our daily business.

I can't imagine that this type of reporting would be allowed in the UK as it would prejudice any court proceedings, so I'm surprised it is allowed here.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out what Drummond has on his website.

It really is a terrible situation with the perpertrator still not being charged despite an overwhelming amount of evidence against her.

Nothing personal Tolley

At this stage anything reported is pure / only speculation and should be left as such..

Let us also remember he does have loved ones back home and they may well be reading this thread and can do without being further upset by the unwarranted, disrespectful comments.... please

marshbags sad.png

I dont think I have posted anything disrespectful whatsoever.

In fact I am sure I am on the same page as those loved ones back home.

Like I posted, nothing personal Tolley, I appreciate your reply and unintentionally making it appear I was getting at you.

I was using your post as an opportunity to get a timely reference meant for those who are / have gone overboard.

I should have offered my thoughts without using your quote for a convenient reference point and apologise for not doing so.

Of course comments are made and i,m not looking for complete censorship, just consideration on the content for the loved ones of the deceased.

The thread is an informative source that could / can effect all of us who stay here, even tourist but we don,t need to be gleening it from speculative media announcements that are then made more harmful when exagerated by personal intepretations.

Especially from the repetative forum cynics of whom most members know from previous threads.

Perhaps before posting, it should be considered how it would personally effect ones self and loved ones upon reading or hearing about media news and speculative information without it giving any thought to how upsetting it must be to add this to the grief and heartache a tragic scenario like this.

To make the speculative rubbish even more hurtful as i,ve already sadi, some then add their own interpretations and this insenitive whatever then makes it even more so.

This is beyond the pale IMHO, especially in these tragic circumstances and the loved ones from the UK not familiar with Thai type media and comment.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

I,m sorry that my previous post could not be erased as I had edited.

I then tried to post the following but unfortunately didn,t notice it had not been successflly posted until the timer kicked in.

Thank you for your understanding and patience everyone.

The new edited version I thought I had submitted was ......

Check out what Drummond has on his website.

It really is a terrible situation with the perpertrator still not being charged despite an overwhelming amount of evidence against her.

Nothing personal Tolley

At this stage anything reported is pure / only speculation and should be left as such..

Let us also remember he does have loved ones back home and they may well be reading this thread and can do without being further upset by the unwarranted, disrespectful comments.... please

marshbags sad.png

I dont think I have posted anything disrespectful whatsoever.

In fact I am sure I am on the same page as those loved ones back home.

Like I posted, nothing personal Tolley, I appreciate your reply and unintentionally making it appear I was getting at you.

I was using your post as an opportunity to get a timely reference meant for those who are / have gone overboard.

I should have offered my thoughts without using your quote for a convenient reference point and apologise for not doing so.

As a general reference may I suggest we all show respect in these sort of circumstances when making the following ....

Of course comments are made and i,m not looking for complete censorship, just consideration on the content for the loved ones of the deceased.

The thread is an informative source that could / can effect all of us who stay here, even tourist but we don,t need to be gleening it from speculative media announcements that are then made more harmful when exagerated by personal intepretations.

Especially from the repetative forum cynics of whom most members know from previous threads who do nothing to help apart from inflame those effected personally..

Perhaps before posting, it should be considered how it would personally effect ones self and loved ones upon reading or hearing about media news and speculative information without it giving any thought to how upsetting it must be to add this to the grief and heartache a tragic scenario like this.

This is beyond the pale IMHO, especially in these tragic circumstances and the loved ones from the UK not familiar with Thai type media and comment.

Until someone is actually charged it can only remain speculative, but I must say the video his loved ones had made with Mr Drummond are very disturbing and I can only hope they, along with their younger sibling get their deserved justice and the ones who are highlighted are fully investigated and anyone found guilty well and truly dealt with.

Perhaps it is about time the Britiish embassy who are supposedly here to look after U.K. expats / citizens who now live here intervene and have independant police authorities from the U.K. carry out a meaningful investigation ( if permission is needed use their authority to get they should get it ) and work with theThai authorities as and when it is needed.

Never mind repetative warnings, do something meaningful that assists the victims and address the actual crimes that are constantly committed against the UK citizens, residents and tourist alike as they are increasing daily by an alarming rate.

May I suggest we all email them with our concerns and demand they take preventative action instead of word worthless warnings of which are totally usless when it comes to looking out for those already here.

I,m not sure if it is allowed but it is important to at least try to get a change in respect to crime and in particular the questionable loss of life that has / is taking place.

The url ref is :-

[email protected]

Please copy and paste it into your own dedicated facility if you cannot use the one they provide

Thank you

marshbags mellow.png

Edited by marshbags

Good luck with getting any meaningful help out of the UK Embassy.

The odds are really stacked against getting any real justice.

Even when they do manage to catch and get a conviction for some of these very serious crimes they somehow miraculously are given bail or let out after a year or two.

• Like 1

Never mind repetative warnings, do something meaningful that assists the victims and address the actual crimes that are constantly committed against the UK citizens, residents and tourist alike as they are increasing daily by an alarming rate.

Really ? The case reported in this thread is a tragic event and I hope that the police get to the bottom of it, but I simply don't believe the statement above is true at all.

[\quote name=londoedan' timestamp='1351465711' post='5792789]

Can't we save the clandestine filming of alleged criminals until after the police and Thai prosecutors have finished with this case ?

I'd flip if anyone started filming me and friends / relations going about our daily business.

I can't imagine that this type of reporting would be allowed in the UK as it would prejudice any court proceedings, so I'm surprised it is allowed here.

[/quote

There is no law of sub-judice in Thailand. This may be because there are no juries and judges 'cannot be influenced'. By the same argument police should not allow the suspects confessing or being pointed at. Circumstances in the UK are quite different than Thailand. But point taken. Where will it end? Possibly not you going about your daily business.

Rubbish, what "preventative action" can a foreign government initiate in Thailand regards crimes against their nationals?

It,s rubbish to sit on our backsides and not even investigate as to why ect. ect.

This doesn,t just apply to the U.K. by the way in case you haven,t noticed...which I,m sure you and everyone else has.

Someone has to start an initiative off whereby the authorities in Thailand who encourage foreigners to come, face up to their responsibilities to ensure we have a reasonable amount of lawfull protection and safety while we are here.

It is complete and utter rubbish to say or even think there is no way of effecting

" preventative action "

While ever non action is allowed to continue the statistics are getting more horrifying and as this is in this instance relating to Thailand and offending nationals, it is they who have a responsibilty to investigate related crimes, arrest and bring the offenders to justice.

The U.K. can easily enlist the help for such an initiative with all the foreign embassies stationed here to add weight to it.

I cannot see how any of them would / could ignore doing so especially as they will all be witnessing first hand what is happening nor anything apparent being done to make it safer for their respective citizens.

Using your logic is tantamount to turning a blind eye and in turn the Thai authorities / government will also continue to seemingly do so.

If as many as possible on Thai Visa email their embassies to highlight their concerns re the continued rise in crime against their fellow nationals, politely requesting if it is possible to investigate ways to cut it down to a minimum, this is better than the present status quo of social negativity.

Ask if there are ways of putting in place initiatives to make it safer here and encourage the relevant powers that are supposedly responsible for law and order, to assist and introduce meaningful ways to make it a safer place via dedicated policing, apprehension and conviction of those responsible, especially serious crime against them and other foreign nationals.

Trying to do something is better than nothing IMHO, it doesnt take much effort to send an email are cost anything so why not send one.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Edited by marshbags

Really ? The case reported in this thread is a tragic event and I hope that the police get to the bottom of it, but I simply don't believe the statement above is true at all.

Crime against all foreign nationals, not only those of the U.K. is increasing at an alarming rate and what is more alarming is the inability / will to apprehend convict and take the offenders off the streets.

I am referring to all crimes including suspicious deaths from non natural and unlawful causes by the way.

marshbags whistling.gif

Edited by marshbags

Rubbish, what "preventative action" can a foreign government initiate in Thailand regards crimes against their nationals?

It,s rubbish to sit on our backsides and not even investigate as to why ect. ect.

This doesn,t just apply to the U.K. by the way in case you haven,t noticed...which I,m sure you and everyone else has.

Someone has to start an initiative off whereby the authorities in Thailand who encourage foreigners to come, face up to their responsibilities to ensure we have a reasonable amount of lawfull protection and safety while we are here.

It is complete and utter rubbish to say or even think there is no way of effecting

" preventative action "

While ever non action is allowed to continue the statistics are getting more horrifying and as this is in this instance relating to Thailand and offending nationals, it is they who have a responsibilty to investigate related crimes, arrest and bring the offenders to justice.

The U.K. can easily enlist the help for such an initiative with all the foreign embassies stationed here to add weight to it.

I cannot see how any of them would / could ignore doing so especially as they will all be witnessing first hand what is happening nor anything apparent being done to make it safer for their respective citizens.

Using your logic is tantamount to turning a blind eye and in turn the Thai authorities / government will also continue to seemingly do so.

If as many as possible on Thai Visa email their embassies to highlight their concerns re the continued rise in crime against their fellow nationals, politely requesting if it is possible to investigate ways to cut it down to a minimum, this is better than the present status quo of social negativity.

Ask if there are ways of putting in place initiatives to make it safer here and encourage the relevant powers that are supposedly responsible for law and order, to assist and introduce meaningful ways to make it a safer place via dedicated policing, apprehension and conviction of those responsible, especially serious crime against them and other foreign nationals.

Trying to do something is better than nothing IMHO, it doesnt take much effort to send an email are cost anything so why not send one.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Embassies are already aware of crimes against their citizens in Thailand. e.g. the UK & Australian representatives have lobbied for higher level of police presence in tourist areas, more active policing for reducing scam crimes in tourist areas etc. It's down to the Thai government & law enforcement authorities to make the necessary funding available to act upon these suggestions. In the meantime their are travel related websites supported by Western governments that talk in a fair amount of detail of crime & safety related issues in Thailand that may impact their citizens.

Embassies are not empowered to interfere in the domestic affairs of their host country. The exception being the support for the occasional regeime changesmile.png

• Like 1

If you're going to come to Thailand with a big wedge of money in your back pocket and hook up with a bar girl (we all know she is,let's cut the BS now!) more than 40 years your junior,in a place like Pattaya or Phuket.A girl with mafia links by the nature of her work,probably a family also,looking for their big payday.

You need to be aware that you're putting your name on a list.At some point,it may be a month,it may be a year,it may be ten years but make no mistake about it,at some point everyone above you on that list will have been crossed off and it will be your turn!

You father a child with her and then it all goes wrong,you'd better be prepared to pack up everything you own within 24 hours,grab the kid if you can and head straight for the border.

Even if it means going to Ubon and paying a guide to take you over the border into Cambodia through the mountains,avoiding landmines,that is what you need to do.Get to the embassy in Cambodia and tell them you escaped because you feared for your life.

The only thing that changes in these stories is the alibis seem to get more and more ridiculous,invisible American boxers et al.He signs his new will,the money's hers now and within three months he'd dead.The police get their cut and the case is closed!

How much longer can this sort of thing go on for,it just defies all belief?

• Like 1

Crime against all foreign nationals, not only those of the U.K. is increasing at an alarming rate and what is more alarming is the inability / will to apprehend convict and take the offenders off the streets.

I am referring to all crimes including suspicious deaths from non natural and unlawful causes by the way.

marshbags whistling.gif

Well I don't agree. I'd be surprised if the level of crime in Thailand is much above the levels of crime in the UK, US etc..

Each individual event has its tragedy and all of the people involved have my sympathy. I do hope the local justice system will track down those reposnible and put them behind bars. But I reckon you're scaremongering when your try and extrapolate these events into "an alarming trend". From my experience of living in Thailand for a few years, that's simply not the case.

If you're going to come to Thailand with a big wedge of money in your back pocket and hook up with a bar girl (we all know she is,let's cut the BS now!) more than 40 years your junior,in a place like Pattaya or Phuket.A girl with mafia links by the nature of her work,probably a family also,looking for their big payday.

You need to be aware that you're putting your name on a list.At some point,it may be a month,it may be a year,it may be ten years but make no mistake about it,at some point everyone above you on that list will have been crossed off and it will be your turn!

You father a child with her and then it all goes wrong,you'd better be prepared to pack up everything you own within 24 hours,grab the kid if you can and head straight for the border.

Even if it means going to Ubon and paying a guide to take you over the border into Cambodia through the mountains,avoiding landmines,that is what you need to do.Get to the embassy in Cambodia and tell them you escaped because you feared for your life.

The only thing that changes in these stories is the alibis seem to get more and more ridiculous,invisible American boxers et al.He signs his new will,the money's hers now and within three months he'd dead.The police get their cut and the case is closed!

Again, scaremongering rubbish, built on a tissue of your own assumptions involving BG's, mafia, trek's across the border to Kampuchea etc..

There are loads of people in Thailand that live with Thai girls that they've met in bars, on websites, down the 7-11 etc and they're happy. The odds are that some of these relationships will go tits-up, but only a tiny fraction will involve the death of a spouse. I think you're read too much on some of the message boards.

So you're saying that if you are relatively well off and have a relationship with a younger sex worker your maximum life expectancy in Thailand is around ten years. Good idea for you, as per Marshbags suggestion, to email the Embassies and let them know of this major security threat so they can take proactive action to protect their citizens.

• Like 1

[Well I don't agree. I'd be surprised if the level of crime in Thailand is much above the levels of crime in the UK, US etc..

Each individual event has its tragedy and all of the people involved have my sympathy. I do hope the local justice system will track down those reposnible and put them behind bars. But I reckon you're scaremongering when your try and extrapolate these events into "an alarming trend". From my experience of living in Thailand for a few years, that's simply not the case.

Your experiences do not compliment mine, full stop.

Youy either think it is helpful to email the embassies and give them a nudge in relation to improving the security of foreign citizens or do not.

It is your choice end of off topic debate.

Getting back to the tragic demise of David and the questionable circumstances surrounding his death are what the debate is about.

Every crime of a serious nature that is committed against foreigner should be investigated and kept active until a satifactory conclusion is reached, no mattter how long it may take.

You and simple1 think I,m scaremongering and exagerating the rise in crime, again my take on what,s happening differs completely and soooooo from my point on this matter.

No further comment will be forthcoming unless it is directly associated with this tragic event and I feel my observations compliment the loved ones left behind.

marshbags whistling.gif

Edited by marshbags

No further comment will be forthcoming unless it is directly associated with this tragic event and I feel my observations compliment the loved ones left behind.

As they say in these parts: 'up to you'

I can certainly live without your hyping of the dangers of living in Thailand.

• Like 1

Not being knowledgeable in serious crimes investigations involving violence , the only practical suggestion that comes to mind would be the establishment of a special investigations unit of the Royal Thai Police (RTP) for serious crimes of violence against foreigners. Their are already specialist units (in collaboration with overseas law enforcement) established for transnational crime committed by foreigners in Thailand for the likes of drug/human trafficking, serious fraud and for apprehension of foreigners wanted for crimes committed in their home countries.

Perhaps the secondment of specialist police from western countries to work alongside the RTP would assist to keep investigations on track. This would of course require funding and the agreement of Thai authorities. As a generalisation it does appear that the RTP are reasonable effective when looking at recent media reports where foreigners have been seriously assaulted or murdered with the assailants fairly quickly identified and arrested.

Edited by simple1

Again, scaremongering rubbish, built on a tissue of your own assumptions involving BG's, mafia, trek's across the border to Kampuchea etc..

There are loads of people in Thailand that live with Thai girls that they've met in bars, on websites, down the 7-11 etc and they're happy. The odds are that some of these relationships will go tits-up, but only a tiny fraction will involve the death of a spouse. I think you're read too much on some of the message boards.

I don't think you or anyone else on Thia Visa has too much to worry about!whistling.gif

Edited by The Smithy

I don't think you or anyone else on Thia Visa has too much to worry about!whistling.gif

Aye - if only we were all as clued-up and well-off as you eh ?