Baiting Or Killing A Snake...

4evermaat

recently i found a snake in one of our bathrooms. it came from out of the shower drain. at least arms length and the diameter of 1.5 10 baht coins at its thickest point.

the gf has locked the bathroom door until it gets settled. it does explain why the cat would be playing at the drain (sticking its paw down the drain like it is playing with something. when i first saw it, i thought it was just a toy i couldnt imagine how it got there. when i saw it go back down in the drain, i figured it out.

a neighbor has lent me a pitchfork with smaller forks to stab it. i need some kind of bait to convince the snake to come out again....any ideas?

no snake catchers in the area, i have to do this myself.

"The second best time to plant a tree is today" sent from TV android app (Galaxy Cooper).

If the snake went down the drain, why not just put one of those drain covers with the holes? water goes down snake goes back to where he came from. You can secure it in place with a bit of plumbers epoxy.

Ask around, almost everywhere are snake catcher that bring the snakes to a safe place without hurting it.....Maybe less in Isaan, there they may eat it. But still better than just kill it without purpose.

For myself, I would get 2 to 3 gallons of boiling water. After the snake goes back into the drain, pour all of the water in. Hopefully it will hurt so bad, if not killing it that it will not come back.

I have a similiar problem. I have a young krait in my garden and have not as yet been able to kill it and am afraid that it will come up in one of my shower drains. I have now put covers over the drains and am playing a waiting game.

4evermaat,

Have you tried to identify the snake to find out if it is venomous or not?

Do you know if this creature is an endangered species or on the CITES list (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species).

I believe that the penalty in Thailand for killing an animal on the CITES list is up to 4 years imprisonment.

If you are able to post a picture of the snake, someone on Thai Visa should be able to ID the snake and advise you if it is dangerous or not.

The only other way to deal with this matter (that I could suggest) is to call in a snake expert.

As for BillyBobThai, I'm presuming that your post was a weak attempt of trolling in order to get a rise out of someone.

Either that or you were dragged up wrong and with a very poor education.

Either way, it is you who should have boiling water poured on you, dipstick.

There was an American posting very proud, that he kills every snake he can find in his huge garden and around it.

6 month later he posted, that a big rat problem developed and what to do against the rats.....

It isn't difficult to understand, that snakes eat mouse, rats, insects etc etc....If you kill all the snakes you have the other problems.

the grandmother had a peak at it right before it went back into the drain....

lot of animal livers here. all the neighbors universially agreed to a swift execution by the man of the house. gf said bagging it and tossing it out into the bush would be acceptable if it could be done effortlessly.

so a brick on top of the hole will have to do for now. i was thinking maybe i would have to buy a couple of mice or something.

"The second best time to plant a tree is today" sent from TV android app (Galaxy Cooper).

Most won't want to spend the effort but you can build a snake trap, non lethal, that lets you move the snake out.

Picture a box,say 18 inches square or bigger with a hinged lid and a 2'' hole on a bottom corner, a length of 2'' pipe, about 4' feet long stuck in it. In one corner of the box have a little mouse in a cage with a bit of food and water. On the bottom of the box put one of those glue pads that you can buy to catch rats etc. You can spend some time fully coating the pad with glue from another pad.

Set the box against a wall with the pipe running along the wall. When any snake goes in after the mouse /rat etc it will get well stuck on the pad. If you can't do it, find someone who can remove the pad witht the stuck snake to where ever you want and cover it with cooking oil. The oil will slowly soften the glue and allow the snake to leave..

Any traces of glue left on the snake will disappear next time it sheds it's skin.

the grandmother had a peak at it right before it went back into the drain....

lot of animal livers here. all the neighbors universially agreed to a swift execution by the man of the house. gf said bagging it and tossing it out into the bush would be acceptable if it could be done effortlessly.

so a brick on top of the hole will have to do for now. i was thinking maybe i would have to buy a couple of mice or something.

Whereas I have great respect for the CITES list and all other efforts to save wildlife, there are limits. You have a snake in the house (possibly with children in the house as well?). You don't know if it is poisonous or not but you know its location. If you are willing to accept the risk of yourself or a member of your family being bitten by said snake, kudos to you.

Perhaps with thoughts like this, you become the endangered species in this scenario. If you are confronted by a snake, ready to strike, you won't have time for your reference books to see if it is on the endangered list. Get rid of it by any means possible. If you can do it without harming the snake, excellent. But if not.................sad.png

If only we hairless apes knew how dam_n scared snakes are of us, we'd preclude many of these "problems".

what if it doesnt come up the shower drain next time ,what if your sitting on the thrown reading the paper and a poisonous snake swims up and bites you on the sack ?

I personally wouldnt take any chances ,aanimals have rights of course but a possibly poisonous snake in the bathroom of my house only has his " last rites "

If only we hairless apes knew how dam_n scared snakes are of us, we'd preclude many of these "problems".

what if it doesnt come up the shower drain next time ,what if your sitting on the thrown reading the paper and a poisonous snake swims up and bites you on the sack ? You obviously missed my point about them being very secretive and timid of large, "hairless" mammals.

I personally wouldnt take any chances ,aanimals have rights of course but a possibly poisonous snake in the bathroom of my house only has his " last rites "

I hear you and the the op, not sure why not just get a drain with smaller holes, as was suggested. It aint coming up the toilet folks, that is like an urban folklore or old wives tale... or something or other, not sure which one.

In short, there are animals that inhabit this world with us. We should try to do our best to make our loved ones feel protected, safe and comfortable, but also should feel compelled to teach those loved ones a little common sense. Putting a drain cover with smaller holes is a very good solution that would hopefully satisfy all with a little coaxing.

Do you know if this creature is an endangered species or on the CITES list (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species). I believe that the penalty in Thailand for killing an animal on the CITES list is up to 4 years imprisonment.

There are Thai snakes on the endangered species list? Which one(s) ? I only ask since I can't find any.