Uk Visitor's Visa Success

Hi folks

Good news - took the GF to the UK Embassy today and her Visitor's Visa has been approved.

She was very nervous about it, having heard a few horror stories about how Thai ladies are treated in there, but the interview was almost a non-event. Only three or four easy questions and it was all over in about two minutes.

Maybe we were lucky or maybe having the paperwork in A1 order helped - who knows. It's a bit of a lottery but there is never any harm in being well prepared - and she was.

Anyway, many thanks to those on this forum who offered advice and the benefit of their experience. We'll think of you when we're sheltering from the driving sleet in Blighty!

Cheers

DM :o and GF :D

Can I ask what sort of evidence you where able to provide that she would return home at the end of the visa?

London - currently very grey and wet!

Iain

Hi Iain

It's totally impossible to give an absolute guarantee of return of course so you just have to do the best that you can.

In my GF's case it wasn't too bad because she owns property in Thailand so we provided a copy of the Tabien Baan for that. She also has a motorcycle so we gave them a copy of the registration book for that. She has money in a Thai bank so they got a copy of her bank book. We got the Banglamung Amphur to provide an address certification that showed that she lives in my house - OK, this no guarantee that she will want to come back to it but, taken along with other evidence of a reasonably long relationship, it may have helped.

In the Sponsor letter I stressed that she was a good Buddhist lady, very respectful of her religion (we had some photos of her doing her thing in a wat) and with a strong love of Thailand and all things Thai (and I could have just made it all up but it is true). We also demonstrated, via photographs (42 of them, showing her and me with various family members in a variety of places - all the photos were date stamped) that she has a large family, including two sons (and we provided a birth registration document and a school I/D card for one of them - had no docs. at all for the other as he doesn't live with us). I said that, in my opinion (for what it's worth) there was no chance that she would not return because she is so thoroughly Thai and would never abandon her family.

None of this is what I would call hard evidence but it's probably easier if the sponsor and lady live in Thailand full time, as in our case, rather than the sponsor just coming to LoS on holiday and sending money. In our case, once we had demonstrated that we had a strong relationship, the 'reasons to return' more or less followed automatically.

I finished off the sponsor letter by asking nicely if the ECO would please approve the visa - no harm in being polite. I also appended a list of all the documentation that we had provided - and there was a lot of it.

I hope that UK won't be too bad, weatherwise, by the time we get there - it won't be for a few weeks yet. Just need to find some affordable air fares!

If you are trying for a visa I can only advise that you accumulate as much evidence as you can (the UK Embassy web site gives guidance on what you are likely to need) and then make sure that the application form, the sponsor letter and the evidence are all in accord. The ECO will pick up on any inconsistencies, be sure of it.

Cheers and good luck

DM