How Much Wd It Cost To Import A Cheap Jag From The Uk?

Thinking to buy a 10 yr old XJ series jaguar, at around 2000 GBP and bring it over, the thought being that big cars are cheap as chips in the UK and a Jaguar of this age is quite reliable and seen as a classic over in Thailand.. obviously not in it to make money as the tax is crazy, but this type of car at this price wd offset that to an extent. And wd be nice to have a half decent car to drive around in Bkk. I have no idea about exporting from UK to thailand altho I know the tax is around 300% and there may be an age related discount. I know I need to own the car for a period of time in the UK before I can do this, tho not sure how long.

So I need to take into account the shipping cost and tax.. what else?

Is the import tax worked out on the price bought in UK or the value as perceived in thailand?

Any tips?

Edited by fish fingers

Thinking to buy a 10 yr old XJ series jaguar, at around 2000 GBP and bring it over, the thought being that big cars are cheap as chips in the UK and a Jaguar of this age is quite reliable and seen as a classic over in Thailand.. obviously not in it to make money as the tax is crazy, but this type of car at this price wd offset that to an extent. And wd be nice to have a half decent car to drive around in Bkk. I have no idea about exporting from UK to thailand altho I know the tax is around 300% and there may be an age related discount. I know I need to own the car for a period of time in the UK before I can do this, tho not sure how long.

Is the import tax worked out on the price bought in UK or the value as perceived in thailand?

Any tips?

Oh God. Not again.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Any tips?

Oh God. Not again.

Correct. Forget about it and do some research on this forum. No can do. You will just be wasting your time (and the time of those reading you too). Oh yes. Your money too.

Ok thanks for your help. I'm guessing around 600,000 thai baht all in.

No idea what a 10-12 yr old X308 series jag is worth in Thailand, guess this is too much to make it worthwhile.

Its not how much. As much as IF it would make it out of the port.

No idea what a 10-12 yr old X308 series jag is worth in Thailand, guess this is too much to make it worthwhile.

Sure, luckily I have a top connection there so no problem with that.

so why did you come here to ask rather than your "top connection"..........

so why did you come here to ask rather than your "top connection"..........

Captain Birdseye ?

• Like 1

coffee1.gif

Please let us know what your top connection has to say...

Some people go to this length of showing off even being anonymous...

Sigh

I'm moving permanently to bkk in a couple of months time. I'm sorry, seems that I shouldn't have come on thaivisa for advice, had no idea that there are so many people posting this question already.. just assumed people wd have some knowledge about this and share it

The customs connection is through my ex girlfriend and he wd help out if there was any trouble. Hope this stops the negative posters as its a genuine query.

Edited by fish fingers

I'm moving permanently to bkk in a couple of months time. I'm sorry, seems that I shouldn't have come on thaivisa for advice, had no idea that there are so many people posting this question already.. just assumed people wd have some knowledge about this and share it

The customs connection is through my ex girlfriend and he wd help out if there was any trouble. Hope this stops the negative posters as its a genuine query.

I suggest you go talk to this "connection" as he/she will be the key to information/greased palms for importing a vehicle and not anyone here on this forum. the supposed fact that you have a contact of such position suggest this thread is merely a wind up.

For what it is worth for some reason though I thought the import tax was not calculated on the actual vehicle purchase receipt but rather the price when sold new.

Edited by Spoonman

There's lots of advice here. The problem is not many people have successfully imported a used car. And those that have tended to end up out of pocket. Its not just the import its also the registration that is a nightmare. All things considered its better to find something here in LOS already. Try looking at taladrod.com.

Some nice alfa romeo 156 ' s.

Also one here on TV in car classifieds for 395.000b I know not a Jag but at least its different :D

Edited by thaicbr

you are (all in) guessing completely wrong!

Good question. huh.png

If l can i will take a pic next time l am near. No not the corpse. laugh.png

Yep cannot take a pic of the corpse without atleast 3 people pointing at it. suggest take along some mates for this purpose.

Don't forget that one of them mustbe giggling behind their other hand

Thanks Spoonman, thats good to know its taxed on the original purchase price of around 2000 gbp, and i think there is a shipping tax too. I would only ask the customs guy if there was any trouble, I might make him aware i was importing it bf hand but wouldn't abuse his position in any way.

ps I wasn't trying to show off that I had a connection there.

Edited by fish fingers

Thanks Spoonman, thats good to know its taxed on the original purchase price of around 2000 gbp, and i think there is a shipping tax too. I would only ask the customs guy if there was any trouble, I might make him aware i was importing it bf hand but wouldn't abuse his position in any way.

ps I wasn't trying to show off that I had a connection there.

Your welcome mate, hope your import goes smoothly.

If you could buy one and ship it here legally and get it registered for $600K then you would be able to buy one that someone else has shipped here for $700 to.$900K pretty easy.

pretty easy Where ?? I have seen the X308 series here, never seen one for sale for under 1.4 + million for the 2002 model.........

Sure you can get the X306 ..........

New here in 2002

X308 cost 6.7 million

X306 cost 4.9 million

You're problem here is twofold.

1. This question gets asked at least once a week. The collective answer is that it will be prohibitively expensive and difficult, or you will lose the car.

2. You have mentioned a connection. I don't think you really understand how this works. For an influential person to step in and intervene in the normal process is possible, but in your case unlikely. To do so he would be depriving others of an opportunity for their normal graft. So there is an opportunity cost that he is now indebted for and would be expected to repay. Why would he assume such a burden or you? If you were in regular business with him he may, or if he was a great personal friend or family member he may also. That your ex gf knows him is not really a strong enough connection and in all likelihood she is just steering business his way where the normal pocket stuffing will occur but all concerned will assure you that he has gotten you a 50% discount and you will end up taking him to dinner after he has fleeced you.

Good luck.

• Like 2