Public Health Ministry Bans Alcohol Sale On August 2 And 3

webfact

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you worried to be dry for 2 days ? Lol

Yes, actually I am. What does it matter to you? After 4 months with a broken leg and just being given clearance to walk without assistance and 5 days off from work, I'd like to enjoy my time off. This is a cause for celebration. Let's add to that ... My girlfriend has just gotten her visa approval to visit the US in October to meet my family. Also, one of my best friends is moving to Bangkok. Yeah, it does kind of bother me, as I am not Buddhist.

Well you not being a Buddhist doesn't have much to do with anything. You decided to live in a Buddhist country. Congrats on your GF getting a US visa. How did she qualify? Was it a tourist or fiancé visa? Just curious as I hadn't heard of many Thai women who seemed to qualify for a tourist visa as they have to prove they will not stay in the US.

I dont like to remind any one but Thailand is not a Bhuddist country. It has freedom of religion and the state and relegion are separated. It just happens to have 90% of its population that follow Bhuddism, and by the way Bhuddism is a philosophy not a religion.

No more like 95% of the population is Buddhist. But at least I know how to spell Buddhism. And your last point could be debated...

Just pulled the toyota in to refuel here.Should run on the hot air that is emanating from this thread.rolleyes.gif

I hope you filled it with grogohol 95 - nothing less for a Toyotathumbsup.gif

Be nice and keep your B5.

Doesn't work 'B5ohol' does it ?- spoils the jokesad.png

By the way I'm making jokes (poor ones I confess) because this thread is very stupid, if those moaners cannot find someone selling booze 'illegally' over these next 2 days then they should join the BiB.

Edited by sysardman

I dont like to remind any one but Thailand is not a Bhuddist country. It has freedom of religion and the state and relegion are separated. It just happens to have 90% of its population that follow Bhuddism, and by the way Bhuddism is a philosophy not a religion.

No more like 95% of the population is Buddhist. But at least I know how to spell Buddhism. And your last point could be debated...

Buddhism is not a religion because there is no belief in a Divine Being. However, it is organised like a religion, with temples and monks etc., so could be said to be a religion in that sense. The spirit houses and other supernatural things many Thais believe in are nothing to do with Buddhism, but a hangover from older animistic beliefs, somehow incorporated into Thai Buddhism...

Just pulled the toyota in to refuel here.Should run on the hot air that is emanating from this thread.rolleyes.gif

I hope you filled it with grogohol 95 - nothing less for a Toyotathumbsup.gif

Be nice and keep your B5.

Doesn't work 'B5ohol' does it ?- spoils the jokesad.png

By the way I'm making jokes (poor ones I confess) because this thread is very stupid, if those moaners cannot find someone selling booze 'illegally' over these next 2 days then they should join the BiB.

Agree with you and should have left it running on grogahol 95 and by the way,the toyota is already 3/4 full.

Will Cowboy and Nana Plaza be closed Friday I wonder?

Dave the Rave says quote:

Bar Closures! Most of the go-go bars and beer bars, will be CLOSED on August 2nd and 3rd. This is due to two of the biggest Buddhist Holidays on the Thai calendar. Therefore, the Thai authorities are enforcing bar closures in Nana Plaza and also in Soi Cowboy. It is highly likely that most of the go-go bars and beer bars in Pattaya will also be CLOSED. The exception to the rule applies to pubs, hotels and restaurants, who technically can open by law. In fact, Nana Liquid Disco inside Nana Hotel will be OPEN on Thursday and Friday.

Patpong Is Open! The good news is that Patpong is OPEN this Thursday and Friday. Ole Patpong never seems to shut for anything, not even being right in the middle of the Red-Yellow Battles. Remember that madness!?

I don't drink anyway, it's a tax on stupid people.

I think you are confusing the consumption of alcoholic beverages with the National Lottery. You haven't been at the meths again, have you? biggrin.png

Didn't JC turn water into wine? Wouldn't that indicate that that the Big Man upstairs partakes in the occasional tipple?

• Like 1

I'm off to the shops to stock up then......

............Hurry up mate, or you could be at the end of a very long queue of bald men stocking up with a three month supply!

What has having a follicular deficiency got to do with partaking of a couple, or more, of chilled ones? If you possess some great physiological insight as yet unknown to the medical profession perhaps you should share it with the rest of the World. A three month's supply varies with the consumption of individuals. Are you saying that a three months supply for yourself will suffice to keep those with a greater predilection for falling down juice content for only two days? What of those sporting flowing (permed?) locks? Will they go 'dry' for a whole 48 hours? tongue.png

It is very unfortunate, but my mooban is on a permanent shakedown from the pricks in black. We all have to pay 300 baht a month for protection. I have no idea why, but it's not collected in a nice fashion.

If I have ever read something on here that is deserving of a thread all of its own, it is what you have said here. Genuinely, please share, sounds juicy.

On walking the hounds this morning, I asked the other half if she knew from the land lady what it was all about. At that point we were walking past a house; two houses joined together, and she told me that the bloke standing there who I see a few times a day is a copper. He's never in uniform mind, only wears a polo shirt with a badge on although all of the cars in his drive and his parents across the road have the gold "I'm a copper so back off" star badge on them. When I say cars, they change a lot. Right now there is a red plated BMW 7 series; looks brand new; a Merc CL class, also looking very new, some sporty number under wraps, a Beetle coupe and his Fortuna that he actually drives. God knows what he's up to with those motors but they change every couple of weeks or so and never seem to be driven. Anyway, he's running the racket and by his house is a little red box where the two dozy cops drive past on there unlicensed and no reg plates motorbike and sign twice a day. A bit further up the moobahn is a sitting out place where a bunch of the pricks congregate and generally loiter as well. In a decent country this might make me feel safe. However, I feel terrified every time I need to walk past them.

They have an old guy, not his dad, but a neighbour along the road from them so perhaps an Uncle who cycles around once a month and stands there asking me for 300 baht. You You Pay 300 baht. This is on top of the few hundred a month paid for the security guards etc. First time I said I paid for guards already and no pay twice. he said "this for police. you pay. Protect you." But I refused. Next day when I was out the other half called me to say one of the tweedle waste of oxygen dum cops was standing there telling her we need to pay police 300 baht every month to keep the place safe. It's a shake down basically. Of three months, I have only paid once. Second time I said I would go to the police station to pay and they left it alone. Last time they got 300 from the missus.

Thats it in a nutshell. And yes, I just walked past one of them with a bottle of beer in the shop. They started late today; usually they have an eye opener around 11am.

• Like 1

I'm off to the shops to stock up then......

Are you worried to be dry for 2 days ? Lol

Does it worry you that others may like to have a glass of wine with dinner at the end of the working week?

Keep your panties on.

1. It certainly will not kill you NOT to have a glass of wine for 2 days, but if it bothers you all that much it might be time to seek help for alcoholism.

2. Alcohol in restaurants with meals are not prohibited

But a meal of fish balls washed down with a bottle of Chateau Udon Thani might well be fatal.

BTW if you wear panties people may well talk about you a lot to say nothing about upsetting the local katoeys. Isn't being a katoey a Thai reserved occupation? smile.png .

Edited by Bagwan

The other half walked in with 3 bottles of beer earlier. Should I report her, or "hide" the evidence?

Hide the contents, quick before BiB confiscate them.

Possession isn't illegal!!

Now you tell me. Burp. Too late biggrin.png

• Like 1

It is very unfortunate, but my mooban is on a permanent shakedown from the pricks in black. We all have to pay 300 baht a month for protection. I have no idea why, but it's not collected in a nice fashion.

If I have ever read something on here that is deserving of a thread all of its own, it is what you have said here. Genuinely, please share, sounds juicy.

On walking the hounds this morning, I asked the other half if she knew from the land lady what it was all about. At that point we were walking past a house; two houses joined together, and she told me that the bloke standing there who I see a few times a day is a copper. He's never in uniform mind, only wears a polo shirt with a badge on although all of the cars in his drive and his parents across the road have the gold "I'm a copper so back off" star badge on them. When I say cars, they change a lot. Right now there is a red plated BMW 7 series; looks brand new; a Merc CL class, also looking very new, some sporty number under wraps, a Beetle coupe and his Fortuna that he actually drives. God knows what he's up to with those motors but they change every couple of weeks or so and never seem to be driven. Anyway, he's running the racket and by his house is a little red box where the two dozy cops drive past on there unlicensed and no reg plates motorbike and sign twice a day. A bit further up the moobahn is a sitting out place where a bunch of the pricks congregate and generally loiter as well. In a decent country this might make me feel safe. However, I feel terrified every time I need to walk past them.

They have an old guy, not his dad, but a neighbour along the road from them so perhaps an Uncle who cycles around once a month and stands there asking me for 300 baht. You You Pay 300 baht. This is on top of the few hundred a month paid for the security guards etc. First time I said I paid for guards already and no pay twice. he said "this for police. you pay. Protect you." But I refused. Next day when I was out the other half called me to say one of the tweedle waste of oxygen dum cops was standing there telling her we need to pay police 300 baht every month to keep the place safe. It's a shake down basically. Of three months, I have only paid once. Second time I said I would go to the police station to pay and they left it alone. Last time they got 300 from the missus.

Thats it in a nutshell. And yes, I just walked past one of them with a bottle of beer in the shop. They started late today; usually they have an eye opener around 11am.

Thailand in a nutshell. Absolutely no respect for the law from anyone.

I will start to respect their religion, as soon as they start to respect it, themselves!

No lieing, no stealing, no treating other people or animals bad...

Until than: I have to obey the law, but i still think it is wrong and I will voice my opinion!

End of it!

• Like 2

1) Fortunately, I am not Buddhist, no more than believing in other religions which are only fables for human beings in lack of understanding of the world and the sense in their miserable existences. So, I have no reason for not drinking alcohol for this kind of reason.

2) If the alcohol is the cause of social problems, which makes the government the 361 other days of the year? They lets people have accidents and commit crimes? If it is the case, it is a shame!

Conclusion: This ban is shameful for not Buddhist and the reasons which are given to justify it are just stupid.

I'd bet there were no bans before, but since this is a long and common holiday, folks got drunk enough to start producing dead bodies and they're trying to limit it somewhat. Less to have with Buddhism then with a long holiday and it's effects.

Loi Kroh Chiang Mai has only one bar open, I did a walk about 9:30 Pm tonight. The Chang bar on the corner of Changklan road, doing a roaring trade out in view of all and sundry. Methinks a VIP is immune. Pisses me off to see all the little guys struggling every day having to close. TIT!

Edited by piewarmer
  • Like 1