Riding A Ridge Line

Tonto21

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Pony Canyon climb gets us up to a remote ridge with single track all the way back to the Pai road. The climb is beautiful, but it is just the start for a fast and curvy ridge run back to civilization. Pony Canyon is fun to downhill as well, but you miss all the scenery on the way as you have to concentrate on trail. Here are some more photos of the climb. Once we hit the fast single track I put the camera away.

post-498-0-83247200-1354005420_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-59104800-1354005460_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-12045900-1354005499_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-74047700-1354005537_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-09134100-1354005568_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-12057100-1354005606_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-22287800-1354005634_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Great photos T_Dog, but I think you’ll agree they don’t do this trail justice. I have to say ‘pony canyon’ has to be one of the prettiest trails I’ve ridden!

T_Dog and I were talking about ridding this trail again this coming Sunday, if anyone fancy’s a doing this trail with us drop me or T_Dog a PM for details.

Laters.

the pictures look awesome Tdog and Tonto. looks like a fun ride out there. Are hardtails alright on those trails? Gotta pick up on my stamina after leaving cycling for a year so will join you guys someday soon. smile.png

Tigerbeer..... A hardtail would do really well on these trails as they are not overly technical. Only a few knarly spots but 95% is fairly easy mountain biking where you can rachet up the speed to the danger zone. Work out wise it would be a bit easier than riding up to Doi Suthep. I took the wife up on the motorcycle today and there was only one spot that felt uncomfortable. Just miles and miles of nice smooth single track. Get a few Doi Kham rides in and come on up!

Looking forward to it T-dog. Got some additions to the bike, serviced and all ready to go. Giving myself a month of Doi Kham riding.

Hi ‘tigerbeer’

Yes mate, get a wiggle on and get them legs spinning! Ha ha

Just so you know you don’t have to train to hard………Just do a little bit of hill work, strengthen the legs and mind then come on out and ride, we ride a pace everyone can keep with, so no big worries. We do stop and smell the roses now and then as well.

Hope to meet-up with you soon.

Laters

Tonto

• Like 1

Pony Canyon looks nice. Do you have a GPS track?

Cheers, CM-Expat

Hey ‘chiangmaiexpat’

The quick answer is…No, we have only rode this about 3 times now, I haven’t logged anything and I don’t think T_Dod’s got it either.

As for Pony Canyon looking nice….it is, it’s, (for me) the best looking jungle tail we have found so far.

The offer is always open to all to come and ride with us anytime……….

Laters

Tonto

Hi Tonto! working on it. did my doi kham basic trail yesterday early morning introduced by tdog quite a while ago and absolutely loved getting back into it ;) i also found out that it doesn't take long to lose stamina after a long break. but it was much easier to do compared to the very first time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

T_Dog, Tonto, VillageFarang & Crew..

sorry for the prolonged absence from this fine thread. I flew over in late November and the 26 hour flying time flight knocked my legs out from under me bigtime. Just wasted.

I've got a few easy rides under my belt. Getting stronger, gaining traction. Very cool pics of "Pony Canyon." Looks like scenes from some movie set.

Hope everyone is out riding and smiling.........

T_Dog, Tonto, VillageFarang & Crew..

sorry for the prolonged absence from this fine thread. I flew over in late November and the 26 hour flying time flight knocked my legs out from under me bigtime. Just wasted.

I've got a few easy rides under my belt. Getting stronger, gaining traction. Very cool pics of "Pony Canyon." Looks like scenes from some movie set.

Hope everyone is out riding and smiling.........

We rode Pony Canyon just this morning, taking a newbie to mountain biking with us. He did great, only biting the dust once, and he is already talking about upgrading his bike and giving up the pavement. I had a bit of a scare when I saw a loop of bamboo in the trail and saw I was headed right for it. Hit the brakes and almost avoided it but I have a nice welt on my neck from where the jungle snared me. By the way, Tonto found a dehydrated and very weak puppy way out on one of his rides. The thing apparently was barely able to move and Tonto fed it water until he took the 90 minutes to get it home. Now, he has a darling little dog named Lucy. Lucky Lucy for sure. She is so cute he put up a restraining order to keep me away! Come on up and ride with us Burgdawg.

This is a busy time of year but I was out for a ride two days ago (45k). Combined two routes by going counter clockwise on a route that works much better, and is more fun, in the other direction. Won't be adding that to my favorite list. The weather was great but the trails were a bit dusty. Belated Merry Christmas and hope you all have a great New Year.

Here is one of my bike and a view, down in the south.

Nice bike but I don't recognize that model of a front Fox shock. Looks to have some serious travel!

Hi T_Dog,

That's a Fox Evolution fork with 140mm travel which add gravity features to the ride.

It's a fantastic all mountain bike, halfway between an XC and an downhill bike.

Here is one of my bike and a view, down in the south.

Nice bike but I don't recognize that model of a front Fox shock. Looks to have some serious travel!

Hi T_Dog,

That's a Fox Evolution fork with 140mm travel which add gravity features to the ride.

It's a fantastic all mountain bike, halfway between an XC and an downhill bike.

Nice shock and attached bike as well! I remember when the RLC and RLT were all the rage with 100mm of travel and all the adjustments. Fox sure does make a quality product. And Happy New Year all.....

• 4 weeks later...

Another nice ride today up Pony Canyon and then back south to HWY 1095 on ridge top single track. Three riders and no wrecks, but I got back and noticed I had a blown a shock seal. As I am looking at it, the tire goes pop and flats. Good to make those discoveries back at home I guess.

8419833416_b26d1ea30f_z.jpg8418737849_b7bbe46820_z.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Paul.... We've given GPS routes to a few people now but everyone still gets lost. The trails end up changing a lot with the seasons and I got turned around three times on one ride this past week that I have done about 40 times. Send me a PM, bring your GPS, and you can generate your own gpx file when we ride. I have to say that the riding right now is extremely dry and loose. I've been drinking a 100 ounce bladder dry in a two hour ride.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

very cute pics of dogs out on the range.

Sorry I never did make it up to the Northlands this season. Medical issues and then the wall of heat began

about late March. Whoa, very hot!

Scorcher days. Hope the rainy season makes things tolerable.....