Govt Bracing For Censure Debate Challenges: Thailand

webfact

Govt bracing for censure debate challenges

Piyanart Srivalo

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- With the new parliamentary session starting yesterday, the government is bracing for headaches not only over the constitutional amendment bill and the proposed reconciliation law, but also a possible opposition grilling in an expected censure debate.

Among the major issues likely to be raised by opposition MPs during the censure debate is the corruption problem involving Cabinet. This is going to be a big problem for the administration led by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who is not known for her debating skills. Yingluck has often avoided parliamentary debate and assigned her Cabinet members to respond to opposition queries intended for her.

The "big boss", ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who is believed to be pulling the strings behind the ruling Pheu Thai Party, has reportedly been worried for the government about the possible opposition onslaught. He does not want his sister Yingluck to become the main target in the censure debate.

This could be a reason why the next Cabinet reshuffle, expected to take place shortly after former executives from Thaksin's disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party completed their five-year political ban on May 30, has been postponed.

Thaksin wants the Cabinet members involved to remain in their seats and answer to the opposition allegations during the censure debate, according to some sources familiar with this matter. If they are removed in the Cabinet shake-up, their replacements will not be liable to answer the opposition's allegations for them. It will be the prime minister, as the government head, to take the duty of answering to the allegations against her Cabinet.

The task would be too difficult for Yingluck and she would end up being grilled completely by Democrat Party MPs who are known for their political expertise and legal knowledge.

The prime minister has learned about irregularities relating to some government projects. The big ones involve the government's rice price-pledging project, the compensation for victims of last year's floods, and the budgets allocated to local administrative organisations all over the country.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, who oversees the Royal Thai Police, has been assigned by the PM to head an anti-graft committee recently set up by the government.

The Chalerm panel, set up shortly before the new parliamentary session and the expected censure debate, could be intended to create an impression that the government is serious about tackling corruption. This could be a way out for the government during the opposition grilling, at a time when corruption has become a big problem in the administration.

The "hottest" of the irregularities involves a government plan to sell more than 10 million tons of rice from its price-pledging scheme. It has been reported that certain businesses close to Pheu Thai and businesspeople acting as the ruling party's political canvassers are making profits from the rice sale.

Chalerm said the Comptroller General's Department informed him about many cases of questionable budget spending.

"This kind of work has made me uneasy. Any action will affect many friends but I can't avoid it because the prime minister has assigned me to do the job by Cabinet resolution," he said.

He added that as the panel's chairman, he is working with many relevant state agencies, including the Department of Special Investigation, Ministry of Justice, Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission, as well as the Royal Thai Police.

Chalerm called a meeting of his panel last Friday, which agreed to dispatch 11 police teams to areas where irregularities have been reported. It was also agreed to provide post box, hotline, and websites to receive complaints about irregularities, with focus on the rice price-pledging project, the flood compensation, and the local administration budgets.

Some 2,000 policemen will be dispatched to all the 917 locations where the government buys rice from farmers under the price-pledging programme. The policemen's work is to watch for "any dishonest process" and to help farmers get fair prices, according to Chalerm.

Chalerm's team will also look into the complaints of unfair compensation paid to flood victims, a project funded with a budget of Bt120 billion, and complaints of irregularities involving many local administrative organisations.

"The prime minister told me that any politician involved in irregularities will face legal action, without exception," Chalerm said.

The government appears unlikely to stop at the three major corruption issues. The Cabinet on July 24 resolved that a centre to scrutinise irregularities must be formed in every government ministry.

It is interesting to wait and see whether tackling corruption - which is the government's second "national agenda", after tackling the drugs problem - will see any satisfactory progress. Let's hope that this is not just a ploy to tackle the government's own problems in the upcoming censure debate.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-02

Thaksin wants the Cabinet members involved to remain in their seats and answer to the opposition allegations during the censure debate, according to some sources familiar with this matter. If they are removed in the Cabinet shake-up, their replacements will not be liable to answer the opposition's allegations for them. It will be the prime minister, as the government head, to take the duty of answering to the allegations against her Cabinet

A very interesting point and one of the most plausible reasons for the delay of the heavily touted return of the Banned 111 to the Cabinet. The last thing Thaksin would want is for his sister to be babbling in Parliament about the shortcomings within a ministry of someone that was replaced.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, who oversees the Royal Thai Police, has been assigned by the PM to head an anti-graft committee

:D .... Chalerm is made head cheese in charge of yet another ridiculous posting, given his history.

Meanwhile, corruption runs rampant in programs allocated Hundreds of Billions of Baht. :(

• Like 1

Some 2,000 policemen will be dispatched to all the 917 locations where the government buys rice from farmers under the price-pledging programme. The policemen's work is to watch for "any dishonest process" and to help farmers get fair prices, according to Chalerm.

Tea-money collecting.

Tea-money collecting.

If pt / yingluck are so concerned about this, why try band-aids, just fix it so corruption is much more difficult and amend the appropriate laws to impose very big penalties.

says a lot when the said deputy pm is assigned to this matter.

• Like 1

This government is transparent after all.

The PM is presiding over such a huge number of corrupt schemes that she is about to be taken to task over it in parliament.

So we now see the cabinet scurrying around trying to put band aids on it. Funny how they know where to look. Funnier still that they are Chalerm's friends. I'm sure he will be looking to hand out the true justice of a true democracy.

• Like 1

This government is transparent after all.

I think 'see through' would be a better term to use.

There are some on here that would certainly like to be in a room with YS wearing nothing but clingfilm. You can clearly see their nuts.

Today while looking at other news, I saw this description for the RSS feeds of the BKK Post and Nation,

"Bangkok Post Breaking (“Blatent” Pro-Establishment)"

and

"Nation (“Blatant” Pro-Abhisit & Anti-Yingluck)"

The I get to take in these two juicy morsels, ...

This is going to be a big problem for the administration led by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who is not known for her debating skills.

The task would be too difficult for Yingluck and she would end up being grilled completely by Democrat Party MPs who are known for their political expertise and legal knowledge.

surprise, surprise, surprise...

Today while looking at other news, I saw this description for the RSS feeds of the BKK Post and Nation,

and

This is going to be a big problem for the administration led by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who is not known for her debating skills.

God forbid that Thailand would ever need her to defend itself against aggression of any nature like a true statesman......

• Like 2

and

Correct. Let's not make it juicy. Let's wait and see how she handles being grilled. I think it is about time the public gets to know her stand on major issues facing this country and their lives.

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

and

Correct. Let's not make it juicy. Let's wait and see how she handles being grilled. I think it is about time the public gets to know her stand on major issues facing this country and their lives.

Bring your Burberrys and wait for the waterworks and pitiful remarks about her gender.

A woman for All Seasons

I think Tom's right for once. I mean "Govt bracing for censure debate challenges". Why? They did nothing (wrong) as far as I know. Hardworking, loyal, etc. They hardly had the time to do anything (wrong) as well.

BTW when is the session with a proud and smiling PM Yingluck listing all achievements by her handpicked cabinet and government this very first year with a female PM making the difference?

• Like 1

I think Tom's right for once. I mean "Govt bracing for censure debate challenges". Why? They did nothing (wrong) as far as I know. Hardworking, loyal, etc. They hardly had the time to do anything (wrong) as well.

BTW when is the session with a proud and smiling PM Yingluck listing all achievements by her handpicked cabinet and government this very first year with a female PM making the difference?

"for once" ???

Rubl, be nice.

B)

"for once" ???

Rubl, be nice.cool.png

Sorry Tom, my excuses. Let me rephrase:

"I think Tom's not wrong for once. I mean "Govt bracing for censure debate challenges". Why? They did nothing (wrong) as far as I know. Hardworking, loyal, etc. They hardly had the time to do anything (wrong) as well."

and

"Let's not make it juicy.Let's wait and see how she handles being grilled"

Juicy,grilled Yingluck. Yummy.tongue.png Garlic bread anyone/

"for once" ???

Rubl, be nice.

cool.png

He was rigorously honest and polite all at the same time.

I think he has the makings for a good P. M.

But I think his citizenship would put the kabosh on that.

Leaves us in the hands of a clone.

and

Bring your Burberrys and wait for the waterworks and pitiful remarks about her gender.

A woman for All Seasons

A blueberry in Burberrys.cheesy.gif

and

A woman for All Seasons

What would a comparison with the first female Prime Minister of the United Kingdom show?

"for once" ???

Rubl, be nice.cool.png

Sorry Tom, my excuses. Let me rephrase:

"I think Tom's not wrong for once. I mean "Govt bracing for censure debate challenges". Why? They did nothing (wrong) as far as I know. Hardworking, loyal, etc. They hardly had the time to do anything (wrong) as well."

aww, that's not nice. You can do better... Try "again" ... wink.png