Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Can Someone Suggest Somewhere In Issan With A Good Mix Of Culture/Nightlife

wellred

For my upcoming trip I want a nice mix of sightseeing and nightlife. I'm starting off with a few days in Bangkok and then heading up north to Chiang Mai for a week as I love Chiang Mai. After that I have a few weeks in the south where I plan to spend the bulk of my time in Phuket with a few days in Phi Phi.

After that I have 2 weeks and wanted to try somewhere different. I was thinking of Pattaya but the more I think about it I will be coming of the back of 2 weeks or so in Patong so fancy something different.

I'd like to try somewhere in the north east but have no idea where to go so I'm hoping someone here can throw some advise my way. Ideal place is somewhere I can spend the day doing a few sight seeing things such as seeing temples, waterfalls, nature, museums whatever.... but id like that place to have some options for nightlife. By that I don't mean go go's or girlie bars (if they exist fine) but more bars where a lucky farang might meet some local ladies or a disco. Can anyone suggest anywhere in Issan that meets this criteria? I'm going to be there for maybe 4/5 nights and the back to Bangkok.

I've been to Ubon once with ex gf although I didn't spend any time in the city, it was straight to the sticks. I've been doing some hunting around online and it seems Korat and Udon have some sort of night life for farang... what do you think? Or maybe Khon Kaen?

All opinions welcome thanks.

Edited by wellred

All of the big 4 towns (they are not cities in a Western sense) in Isaan will seem a little tame on nightlife after BKK/Pats/Phuket (by the big 4 I mean Korat, KK, Udon and Ubon). Maybe consider Hua Hin?

But if you want to see the real Thailand then welcome to Isaan. Korat is relatively close to antiquity and Ubon has nice temples (most big towns do, but I find Ubon's particularly varied) and a national park of interest. Udon and KK have dinosaur national parks. For nightlife, best to be there over the Thurs to Sun period, rather than early week. Most falangs whove travelled Isaan seem to reckon on Udon having the most falang bar concentration, though I've never tried it. Ubon and Udon are both within easy (cheap bus) reach of Laos, which could make an interesting (2 day minimum recommended) side trip (visa buyable at border for $35 ish).

If you want world-class culture after a candle-burning 3 weeks then how about going to Siem Reap/Angkor Wat in Cambodia for a few days. Fly from BKK if you want expensive/quick and bus if you want slow/cheap (from south eastern Isaan - Surin, Sisaket or Ubon).

Thanks.. I've been looking more and narrowed it down to either KK or Udon. From the TAT site alone it seems KK has more to do during the daytime. Is there anything I have missed from Udon Thani I should be aware of in terms of daytime excursions/sight seeing ect? At the mo I'm leaning on KK.

Phu Wiang National Park

Phrathat Kham Kaen

Phra Mahathat Kaen Nakhon

Wat Pa Saeng Aru

Ban Khok Sa-nga King Cobras Village

Non Mueang

For Udon Thani the only things I could find were:

Orchid Farm (yawwwn)

Udon Thani Provincial Museum

Ban Chiang

Wat Ban Na Kha Thevi

I'll get flamed by the farang who live in the surrounding area, but I once booked to stay in Udon Thani for a week, checked out within 48 hours. Unless you are going there for usual bar beer scene, very little to do.

I'll get flamed by the farang who live in the surrounding area, but I once booked to stay in Udon Thani for a week, checked out within 48 hours. Unless you are going there for usual bar beer scene, very little to do.

That's the general feeling I have got from looking around online. Wall to wall girls.... but I actually want to see a bit of culture so I think KK should have enough to keep me occupied for 4/5 days.

My only worry about going to Issan is eating. I am a vegetarian and in most other places in Thailand I've never had a problem - kin jay krup and I'm sorted. The last time I was in Issan I was at the GF's house in the village and the mom cooked some vege dishes for me esspecially but otherwise everyone seemed to be eating lots of fish and some dish with bugs jumping out of the plate.

As you have to travel through or past Korat in order to get to any of the places you mentioned then why don't you stop off for one day and visit the wonderful zoo and dinosaur museum here, well worth the effort for no extra travel.

HL

As you have to travel through or past Korat in order to get to any of the places you mentioned then why don't you stop off for one day and visit the wonderful zoo and dinosaur museum here, well worth the effort for no extra travel.

HL

In Korat? That's a possibility which I may consider. Truth be told I was thinking of flying direct from Bangkok but I may consider a road trip too thanks.

If you are going by road (driving that is, not by bus), do a detour through Khao Yai national park on the way to Korat. Well worth the effort (wild elephants, gibbons, untouched forest).

http://wikitravel.org/en/Khao_Yai_National_Park

Just north of Korat on the road towards KK is the town of Phimai, where the Khmer temple of Prasat Phi Mai is, worth a visit if you are passing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phimai_historical_park

That's the general feeling I have got from looking around online. Wall to wall girls.... but I actually want to see a bit of culture so I think KK should have enough to keep me occupied for 4/5 days.

My only worry about going to Issan is eating. I am a vegetarian and in most other places in Thailand I've never had a problem - kin jay krup and I'm sorted. The last time I was in Issan I was at the GF's house in the village and the mom cooked some vege dishes for me esspecially but otherwise everyone seemed to be eating lots of fish and some dish with bugs jumping out of the plate.

Those weren't bugs, usually little baby prawns still alive....I'd go for KK,.....wai.gif

Will you have your own transportation? or be relying on buses?

As a lot of the tourist attractions in Isaan are quite spread out. Often maybe an hour or two from the major centres. For example, you could visit the dinosaur village in Kalasin province, the Jaydee chai mong khun temple/pagoda in RoiEt, Khmer Ruins in southern Isaan, the snake village in Khon Kaen province, the emerald triangle in Ubon, or the place in Nong Khai province with tonnes of Buddha Statutes etc. But most of these are quite far from the city, so you'd need your own transport or be willing to fork out for a rather expensive taxi.

Deciding where to stay, would then depend on which sites you were thinking about visiting, and what your transport situation was. Since you might want somewhere which is simply central to all of them, or you might even want to stay 2 nights in one place, then 2 in another.

Bars wise, I think that you could have an awesome time in the bars of any city, and have a decent chance of meeting a nice "normal" Thai girl in the process. As most of the smaller cities I've stayed in, have some good nightclubs/music halls, and of course the big cities do as well. For just a 4-5 night stay, it'd be unlikely that you'd completely exhaust all of your options in the smaller towns (As each nightclub/music hall should provide at least 2 maybe 3 nights entertainment)

Unfortunately I don't have my own transport. But I've changed my mind on Kk and have decided to spend 2/3 days in Nong Khai and then 2/3 days in Udon Thani.

Are there any girls bars in Udon thani that might keep a 30 year old guy company for a few days?

Unfortunately I don't have my own transport. But I've changed my mind on Kk and have decided to spend 2/3 days in Nong Khai and then 2/3 days in Udon Thani.

Are there any girls bars in Udon thani that might keep a 30 year old guy company for a few days?

Yes, go to Soi Nutty bar with your wallet

Why not try surin lots of expat farang places if you want some advice or a chat loads of clubs discos nightclubs all within walking distance of town (try tantawan deeng nightclub for meeting girls you can't fail in there) lots of Khmer culture dance and stuff only 50 odd km from Cambodian border worth a few days

Keep to Nong Khai, great little town. If you are serious about sightseeing here are some of the best things in the area that a lot of people have never heard of.

Wat Phu Tok - 7 stages of staircases built AROUND a mountain in the middle of vast open plain. Very cool spot very popular with Thais but very few Farang head here. Those that do though love it.

Chet Si Waterfalls - nearby to Phu Tok, name says it all, 7 colors waterfalls. About a half hour walk up the side of the river to the main waterfall and you will see why again very popular with Thais but not many tourists.

Phu Phr Bat Historical Park- closer to Udon but well within reach from Nong Khai. Amazing 8 km of hiking trails through a park (on the unesco world heritage listings wait list) originally believed to have been carved out by glaciers. left behind these unique rock structures that have been in the past used for ceremonial purposes.

Wat Sri Mon Khon - or sacred cave temple. Near Sangkhom one of only a few true "underground" cave temple in Thailand. You will venture up to 500 meters underground through an actual operating temple. However if you over 150kg you may need to ask before going in if youwill make it all the way through. Some parts get a little "tight"

Wat Hin Maak peng - fantastic forest temple outside of Sangkhom and Sri Chiang Mai. Fantastic history and remarkable forest grounds make this a must see.

Wat Pra Taat Bang Phuan - similar in construction and style to Wat Taat Phanom this temple has been destroyed and rebuilt many times but the history and the hosting of a Budha relic make it a must see as well.

SalaKeowKu - sculpture park - is worth coming for this one attraction in itself.

Thang Thip/Thang Thong - waterfalls near Sangkhom again...excellent for a Saturday day out playing in the water, eating some good food and drinking whiskey.

Bars in Nong Khai - if quiet with sometimes live music is your thing - Gaia Bar at Mut Mee is a must for a Farang Night out. Nok's, Nong's, Brendans, On's. are all within Farang Alley and there are plenty of local and international visitors to keep you company. Riverside Country Bar and Barnana at the Thai - Laos hotel are for live music (country style _ riverside) and Top 40dance music (barnanas) and will certainly keep you entertained all night long. There are plenty more but these are very popular with the tourist trade.

• Like 1

Why not try surin lots of expat farang places if you want some advice or a chat loads of clubs discos nightclubs all within walking distance of town (try tantawan deeng nightclub for meeting girls you can't fail in there) lots of Khmer culture dance and stuff only 50 odd km from Cambodian border worth a few days

Friendly locals who all want a Husband/House/ Honda Jazz/ 150cc scooter/iphone5 all within the first 5 minutes. Also have no idea of the price of P2P in other part of LOS.

Keep to Nong Khai, great little town. If you are serious about sightseeing here are some of the best things in the area that a lot of people have never heard of.

Wat Phu Tok - 7 stages of staircases built AROUND a mountain in the middle of vast open plain. Very cool spot very popular with Thais but very few Farang head here. Those that do though love it.

Chet Si Waterfalls - nearby to Phu Tok, name says it all, 7 colors waterfalls. About a half hour walk up the side of the river to the main waterfall and you will see why again very popular with Thais but not many tourists.

Phu Phr Bat Historical Park- closer to Udon but well within reach from Nong Khai. Amazing 8 km of hiking trails through a park (on the unesco world heritage listings wait list) originally believed to have been carved out by glaciers. left behind these unique rock structures that have been in the past used for ceremonial purposes.

Wat Sri Mon Khon - or sacred cave temple. Near Sangkhom one of only a few true "underground" cave temple in Thailand. You will venture up to 500 meters underground through an actual operating temple. However if you over 150kg you may need to ask before going in if youwill make it all the way through. Some parts get a little "tight"

Wat Hin Maak peng - fantastic forest temple outside of Sangkhom and Sri Chiang Mai. Fantastic history and remarkable forest grounds make this a must see.

Wat Pra Taat Bang Phuan - similar in construction and style to Wat Taat Phanom this temple has been destroyed and rebuilt many times but the history and the hosting of a Budha relic make it a must see as well.

SalaKeowKu - sculpture park - is worth coming for this one attraction in itself.

Thang Thip/Thang Thong - waterfalls near Sangkhom again...excellent for a Saturday day out playing in the water, eating some good food and drinking whiskey.

Bars in Nong Khai - if quiet with sometimes live music is your thing - Gaia Bar at Mut Mee is a must for a Farang Night out. Nok's, Nong's, Brendans, On's. are all within Farang Alley and there are plenty of local and international visitors to keep you company. Riverside Country Bar and Barnana at the Thai - Laos hotel are for live music (country style _ riverside) and Top 40dance music (barnanas) and will certainly keep you entertained all night long. There are plenty more but these are very popular with the tourist trade.

This is fantastic thank you! I'll try fit as much of this as possible for 3 days.

Friendly locals who all want a Husband/House/ Honda Jazz/ 150cc scooter/iphone5 all within the first 5 minutes. Also have no idea of the price of P2P in other part of LOS.

For Udon have a look at

http://www.udontalk.com/

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/

They cover the tourist sites, bars/restaurants, shopping etc.

It is a 1 hour bus ride to Nong Khai and on to Vientianne and 1 1/2 hours to Khon Khaen so if you get bored with one it is no big deal to move on.

Udon has the best night life of the 3 covering farang drinking holes, night clubs, beer bars, girly bars, go-go, and a good choice of restaurants covering most styles of food. The night clubs are only good Friday and Saturday and do not kick off until 22.00 at the earliest.

I enjoy Nong Khai with the restaurants and bars overlooking the river but I find 2 days is enough. KK IMO was correctly describe by another poster as Sleepy Hollow.