3 Months Research And Finally Chose My New Car: Pajero Sport!

anon210

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats, but I have to disagree on not taking a Thai with you.

I went to Volvo last month with my Thai wife and brother in law she bought herself a V60 expected 2 months delivery and got 100,000B off the price and 5 years 0% credit. They offered me the same on a S40, but I'm probably going for a Civic instead.

I'll have to ask if she got anything else thrown in. I got told there's 5 years free servicing and parts, but I'm not sure if that didn't get lost in translation.

Congrats, but I have to disagree on not taking a Thai with you.

I went to Volvo last month with my Thai wife and brother in law she bought herself a V60 expected 2 months delivery and got 100,000B off the price and 5 years 0% credit. They offered me the same on a S40, but I'm probably going for a Civic instead.

I'll have to ask if she got anything else thrown in. I got told there's 5 years free servicing and parts, but I'm not sure if that didn't get lost in translation.

It boils down, I guess, to whether your specific Thai has a business fiber or not. Here my friend was just doing the translation, but not really negotiating on my behalf. I had to push over myself each time, without really having an ally on my side, which could make my arguments more offensive. On the whole, using one dealership against the other is really the best choice: upping the ante each time... Until you find one who pulls back. This being said, the one argument where the dealer was right: the cost of parts at Mitsubishi is certainly lower than at Ford (50 % less for an alternator, to take an example).

Regarding the finance and offers, you must distinguish between what comes from headquarters (often insurance and servicing plans or 0 % finance as with Ford), and what your dealer offers (mats, and the like). I guess it also depends on whether there is more or less demand. Some dealers like Isuzu or Nissan were totally unwilling to budge, either on finance cost or freebies (they even wanted to charge me the first class insurance!). It pays doing your homework before visiting the dealers and knowing exactly what is included or not in the HQ offers of the moment.

Does worry me a bit that what ever one is buying that the seller wants to give away lots of stuff.

Always thought that top notch stuff, what ever it is, that people are fighting to get it, and the seller knows it. wink.png

I drove the 5 door Fiesta (Ford on Chaengwattana), as the Op says it feels light when turning into corners and the view out of the rear window is not that good, I looked at the Focus as they have a great looking one in there.

Anyhow MIL bought herself a 4 door fiesta 1.5 Trendy, registered in my wife's name so as to get the 100,000 tax rebate on offer. She haggled a bit and got the skirts for the car and a few other things, at a small cost

When I get the list I will post the bits she got free and the bits she paid a bit more for.

I also liked the Ranger, but noticed that once they put the plastic protection in the back, there is a small difference in height of the tail gate and the sides, not flush in my opinion.

Thanks for that OP and the MPS are according to many the best value Thai SUV.

The MPS was/is also on my short list of cars to buy but in the end desired to order a WT 2.2 Ranger but don't know when we will get it.

We have the time to wait as out City 06 is still doing fine but I agree with you regarding more safety in a bigger vehicle, floods & pot holes so never a sedan for me again here in Thailand.

Sadly there are almost no freebies to be had on a WD Ranger 2.2 2WD but its app. 300 k bath less than a MPS which also was taken into consideration when ordering it and not the least important reason: my wife likes the rough look of a pick-up truck (me too), lol.

I noticed a few bits missing of my original post... I had also gone to Mazda (Suk. 65), and there I posed them clearly as alternate the Ford Focus and asked them to match the offer for a Mazda 3, 1.6 l. No discount there, but a few things like mats, etc, on the whole, not very convincing. However, those were the most ready to offer me a test drive, to bring the car at my office... I gave up on the car after reading of its consumption, and furthermore, I had moved by then my sights on a SUV.

Finally, for those interested, I had an offer from Ford Silom on the ranger XLT 4WD (no discount whatsoever):

1st class insurance (Ford HQ offer, so that was an inexisting "freebie"),

license plate frame

Rubber mat

fuel for 500 THB

Coating color (I guess that is anti-rust treatment or waxing)

Bedliner

Mind you, this offer was made upon calling the dealership and asking them to send me an offer by mail, which seems to testify to the fact that there is margin for pulling the dealers even without being around.

Conversely, when I asked Ford Silom to match or do better for the Ford Escape, they did not want to sell it to me at all... And were trying to orient me instead on the new Focus. biggrin.png

The Ranger was also high on my list, but the unavailability of an automatic version in 4WD and the slowness to get one also drove me off. Living in BKK in addition, a pickup is a bit unhandy and unseemly in urban traffic.

On the whole, the dealers are not very accustomed to people "shopping around" or comparing brands. That throws them off the wrong footing and establishes a position of strength for you in the negotiation.

Let me say once again, there is a famous thread on negotiating that has been very helpful... The one best advice: do not let your emotions take over. Be prepared to walk away from a bad deal, someone else will offer you better... And otherwise you can have the bad deal elsewhere. thumbsup.gif

Let me say once again, there is a famous thread on negotiating that has been very helpful... The one best advice: do not let your emotions take over. Be prepared to walk away from a bad deal, someone else will offer you better... And otherwise you can have the bad deal elsewhere. thumbsup.gif

Kudos to OP for this informative thread! clap2.gif

.....but I agree with you regarding more safety in a bigger vehicle, floods & pot holes so never a sedan for me again here in Thailand.

Exactly!! I second that emotion!! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Congratulations on ordering the car. We also went thru an exhaustive process before buying a PJS, also from Mitsu in Suk 71 where I found them quite helpful and informative and have also been great since delivering the car. They however also offered us the nonsense of driving a car within the dealership but when I refused that they offered me the manager's own car (4WD GT) which I took out for a while.

I had an Escape for about 9 years before the Mitsu and also had the latest model for about 4 months as a loaner. You are right that they are easy to drive around town and a nice size vehicle, but well underpowered with the 2.3 litre. My previous Escape was the 3 litre which was alot nicer but really they were a bit old inside in 2003 when that one was new, and not much has changed in all the models released since then. Having said that it was a good car for the time we had it but the new models really seem to lack any character and I think they have run out of excuses for not seriously updating them.

After we ordered out PJS from Suk 71 my wife stayed in touch with them (salesman named Ed) regularly and then they ended up bumping us well up the waiting list when somebody else cancelled. At that time there was nearlly a 3 month waiting list but we got ours in just over a month.

Good luck with it all. We have been very happy with ours.

I drove the 5 door Fiesta (Ford on Chaengwattana), as the Op says it feels light when turning into corners and the view out of the rear window is not that good, I looked at the Focus as they have a great looking one in there.

Anyhow MIL bought herself a 4 door fiesta 1.5 Trendy, registered in my wife's name so as to get the 100,000 tax rebate on offer. She haggled a bit and got the skirts for the car and a few other things, at a small cost

When I get the list I will post the bits she got free and the bits she paid a bit more for.

I also liked the Ranger, but noticed that once they put the plastic protection in the back, there is a small difference in height of the tail gate and the sides, not flush in my opinion.

What did you pay for the Fiesta - still waiting (4 months later) for the Mazda 2 and now the Fiesta has a rebate qualifying 1.5 might be worth switching...

• Like 1

Update on the process: finance application submitted today... With the guy of SCB coming in at the dealer's shop.

Nothing much to say about it, except that the process went smoothly with all my documentation being available and straightforward (got a work permit, B visa, been here almost one year... so I guess should be quite straightforward).

We further checked with a technician the possibility of connecting a dash cam directly to the fuse box, but apparently this could void Mitsubishi's warranty (they would need to check before confirming). Anyway, the people at Suk. 71 always professional and helpful, despite some language barrier (the finance guy did not speak a word of English or almost). I demanded and obtained an owner manual in English.

The waiting period shot now up to 3 months... Possibly shorter, but I am skeptical, obviously. biggrin.png I guess the dealership did not order anything as yet (probably will await confirmation by finance, credit check etc before going ahead!)

I'll continue updating as it goes.

Good info...

I have a fortuner myself and its an awesome car - you should have test driven one at least, IMO. But I have to agree that the redesign is terrible, instead of improving an already not really great design, they made it worse. Those new rear lights only a mother could love... Mitsu exterior design is much better but I am a bit wary of their interior plastics, have not yet seen one that looked decent... they seem to really love silver painted plastics.... Ugh... Does mitsubishi offer a high end interior option?

Update on the process: finance application submitted today... With the guy of SCB coming in at the dealer's shop.

Nothing much to say about it, except that the process went smoothly with all my documentation being available and straightforward (got a work permit, B visa, been here almost one year... so I guess should be quite straightforward).

We further checked with a technician the possibility of connecting a dash cam directly to the fuse box, but apparently this could void Mitsubishi's warranty (they would need to check before confirming). Anyway, the people at Suk. 71 always professional and helpful, despite some language barrier (the finance guy did not speak a word of English or almost). I demanded and obtained an owner manual in English.

The waiting period shot now up to 3 months... Possibly shorter, but I am skeptical, obviously. biggrin.png I guess the dealership did not order anything as yet (probably will await confirmation by finance, credit check etc before going ahead!)

I'll continue updating as it goes.

thanks for the info, i too will soon be your position. what kind of deposit did you have to put down to order it and what kind of financing terms are you getting - 20% down as example?

Good info...

I have a fortuner myself and its an awesome car - you should have test driven one at least, IMO. But I have to agree that the redesign is terrible, instead of improving an already not really great design, they made it worse. Those new rear lights only a mother could love... Mitsu exterior design is much better but I am a bit wary of their interior plastics, have not yet seen one that looked decent... they seem to really love silver painted plastics.... Ugh... Does mitsubishi offer a high end interior option?

I have considered if I should not go with Toyota for a while... but the premium in price is not justified IMHO.

Regarding "high-end interiors", not sure a Fortuner would satisfy that definition.

However an update.... Thursday got a call from the dealership telling me that a black Mitsubishi 2wd was available immediately. I asked for a new quote... It seems dealerships are reluctant to sell 4wd models...

re. the issue of deposits and minimum dp... The dp is generally of 25 pc with Ford going down to 20 on the Escape. My conditions were of 1.99 % interest over 2 yrs. The dealerships like longer finance periods... ;)

Deposit required was of 5 k.

Some dealerships will try to impose higher dp... Tell them X or Y gives you 25 %... And they will calm down. Otherwise, just walk out of there, others will give you a better deal.

edit: my situation is a bit different as I an here on a b visa and have a work permit. So I can claim treatment on par with a Thai, I guess. Once you get a good offer... push on with other dealers based on this offer.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by freemindxs

However an update.... Thursday got a call from the dealership telling me that a black Mitsubishi 2wd was available immediately. I asked for a new quote... It seems dealerships are reluctant to sell 4wd models...

I missed that in the original post but were you waiting on the 4WD model? Definitely try the 2WD as I tried both and found the 2WD a noticebly better drive, and you also avoid the annoyance of the transfer case shifter trying to vibrate it's way through your thigh.

I missed that in the original post but were you waiting on the 4WD model? Definitely try the 2WD as I tried both and found the 2WD a noticebly better drive, and you also avoid the annoyance of the transfer case shifter trying to vibrate it's way through your thigh.

That's correct, I did not precise in my original post that I was waiting on the 4WD... As I was planning on doing some offroading.

Furthermore my test drive was in the 4WD, and it was good (maybe too much of a novice driver, but was not otherwise worried with the 4WD lever).

But considering that the 2WD is available directly... Well, might just as well get it.They pulled out the back video unit though.

Here is the latest offer:

1.insurance first class ( 1 year)

2.license plate frame

3.film

4.carpet

5.rubber floor

6.side visor

7.coating

8.rust proof

9.trunk tray

10.back camera

11.TV.(not free ) 6,000 baht

12. Chromium handles

That's correct, I did not precise in my original post that I was waiting on the 4WD... As I was planning on doing some offroading.

Furthermore my test drive was in the 4WD, and it was good (maybe too much of a novice driver, but was not otherwise worried with the 4WD lever).

But considering that the 2WD is available directly... Well, might just as well get it.They pulled out the back video unit though.

Here is the latest offer:

1.insurance first class ( 1 year)

2.license plate frame

3.film

4.carpet

5.rubber floor

6.side visor

7.coating

8.rust proof

9.trunk tray

10.back camera

11.TV.(not free ) 6,000 baht

12. Chromium handles

Coating rust proof, back camera ok, the other stuff not really that big of deal, unless a license plate frame with the dealer name on it is the deal clincher for you ;)

Bangkok Post puts Trailblazer > Tuna > PJS

http://www.bangkokpo...-size-suv-party

And says PJS must catch up with the times!! erm

I may be wrong there, talking from an European perspective... but I still do not trust GM for long-term reliability. And it still is priced higher that the PJS.

Toyota... well just about 100 k + above the PJS. :)

I share the feeling about the motor noise of the PJS, but after all I am getting a sort of truck, not a sedan.:lol:

Got finally to see the future baby... Actually the future "Elephant" as a member of my family calls it. Delivery for Saturday, theoretically. Did not have to go back to sign papers for finance as I am approved for a higher amount.

I will be putting 40 % film on the windshield and 60 % on the sides. Lamina pop series from what I could see.

The car comes from a buyer who hesitated between black and grey.. and rejected black in the end. .. or so they say .>_>

A few resources on inspection at delivery... I think there was a question somewhere on what should be checked... So these links are very useful in what should be checked when getting the car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/6027-new-car-predelivery-inspection-list-part-i-ii-iii-iv-kishor-kulkarni.html

And

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/68581-article-pre-delivery-inspection-pdi-check-list.html

And

http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/kpfleger/autosafety/cache/misc/MotleyFoolDeliveryChecklist.html

And

http://www.mynrma.com.au/images/Motoring-PDF/NRMA-new-car-test-drive-check-list.pdf

post-156158-134502800753_thumb.jpg

post-156158-134502803934_thumb.jpg

Edited by freemindxs

Got finally to see the future baby... Actually the future "Elephant" as a member of my family calls it. Delivery for Saturday, theoretically. Did not have to go back to sign papers for finance as I am approved for a higher amount.

I will be putting 40 % film on the windshield and 60 % on the sides. Lamina pop series from what I could see.

The car comes from a buyer who hesitated between black and grey.. and rejected black in the end. .. or so they say .>_>

A few resources on inspection at delivery... I think there was a question somewhere on what should be checked... So these links are very useful in what should be checked when getting the car.

http://www.team-bhp....r-kulkarni.html

And

http://www.team-bhp....check-list.html

And

http://www.ksl.stanf...yChecklist.html

And

http://www.mynrma.co...-check-list.pdf

Elephant A I used to have a Vigo 4x4 4 door pick up when I changed it to a Fortuner the first thing my wife said when she sat in it was a very nice car but a bit small. Well Sumall was the word she used. Edited by fredob43

Bangkok Post puts Trailblazer > Tuna > PJS

http://www.bangkokpo...-size-suv-party

And says PJS must catch up with the times!! erm

That was a very good head-to-head-to-head comparison of the 3 top selling SUV models!

I may be wrong there, talking from an European perspective... but I still do not trust GM for long-term reliability. And it still is priced higher that the PJS.

Toyota... well just about 100 k + above the PJS. smile.png

I share the feeling about the motor noise of the PJS, but after all I am getting a sort of truck, not a sedan.laugh.png

The new GM is like a born-again corporation! They emphsize 'quality' (and 'doing it right') throughout their production lines.

http://www.team-bhp....r-kulkarni.html

And

http://www.team-bhp....check-list.html

And

http://www.ksl.stanf...yChecklist.html

And

http://www.mynrma.co...-check-list.pdf

Congratulations on your new car!!

I personally think you lucked out to have gotten the black-color model, the same color as Unique2's and mine - it will always look good and shiny if you keep it waxed and washed! The dark-grey color PJS looks good, too, IMHO.

Many thanks for the congratulations...thumbsup.gif Actually, I specifically demanded black. It so happened that a 2WD happened to be available... One week after ordering a 4WD.tongue.png

Would not have accepted another color.wink.png It always looks classy and can go anywhere with glamour, if I may say so.

Many thanks for the congratulations...thumbsup.gif Actually, I specifically demanded black. It so happened that a 2WD happened to be available... One week after ordering a 4WD.tongue.png

Would not have accepted another color.wink.png It always looks classy and can go anywhere with glamour, if I may say so.

It can ?

Glamour is Pink. laugh.png