Where Can I Find A Broom In Bangkok? A Real Broom, Please!

Will2011

Hello,

I am looking for a broom to sweep dust on the floor (see picture in the link below). I'd like a real adult size broom as I'm 6 f tall, but not the old tiny "witch" halloween broom. Just a "normal" broom we can find anywhere else. I went to several stores such as Tops, Robinson, Ikea and siam Paragon, but I didn't find what I was looking for.

Do you know where I can buy this kind of broom?

http://www.skymaidservice.com/images/mago-broom-magis.jpg

Thank you in advance :)

• Like 1

HomeWorks or Boonthavorn in the area that sells Scotch Brite cleaning supplies, they have one that is pretty sturdy but they handle a little short.

Another place that might be worth looking is TrueValue, but compared to what's available at your local hardware store or shops they are pretty expensive.

http://www.truevalue.co.th/product.php?id=180&start=0&page=1

try witch's tavern,soi 55 sukhumvit

I don't post a lot on this forum, but it seems that everything I create a new topic, you just post unhelpful and quite stupid answers. No offense but it's always out of topic.

At least, if your posts were funny, it would be ok. But it's not even funny and becomes quite pathetic...

Any helpful comment?

• Like 1

HomeWorks or Boonthavorn in the area that sells Scotch Brite cleaning supplies, they have one that is pretty sturdy but they handle a little short.

Another place that might be worth looking is TrueValue, but compared to what's available at your local hardware store or shops they are pretty expensive.

http://www.truevalue...start=0&page=1

Thank you, Arkom. I'll give a try at True Value perhaps. I was thinking about going to K village as I remembered a shop selling U.S. accessories, but didn't know it was called True Value. Maybe they sell more items for outdoor purposes whereas I'm looking for an indoor broom.I'll try homework as well :)

Can I just ask what you don't like about the Thai style witch brooms? I mean I'm 5' 11" too and sure you gotta bend over a little but unless you are sweeping an arena it's not that bad. Most people don't know but when you buy one you should cut it down a little with some scissors. Also if you really are annoyed by the length you can buy a short piece of PVC and shove the broom handle in there to give it some length. 1/2" PVC works well.

Just saying that TIT and sometimes the little things that annoy you and will never be able to change you can actually suffice to make life easier here.

• Like 1

They're readily available in Thailand. A bit surprised you haven't come across one - I guess just bad shopping luck. You should be able to pick one up at any mega store - Big C, Tesco Lotus, Carrefour (if there are any around that haven't rebranded as Big C yet).

By the way, the Thai ones actually do work a lot better. Maybe the first 3 brooms I bought in Thailand were the kind you posted. The last time I bought one my maid told me she needed to buy one of the cheap dumpy looking "witch" brooms because the kind of broom I had was worthless. I thought that was a bit odd and happened to mention it to one other Thai who seconded that the straw "witch" ones are much better. Have gotten straw ones since then and in my experience, they really do outperform the "Western" kind. But feel free to pick up a non-witch at any of the stores above.

Can I just ask what you don't like about the Thai style witch brooms? I mean I'm 5' 11" too and sure you gotta bend over a little but unless you are sweeping an arena it's not that bad. Most people don't know but when you buy one you should cut it down a little with some scissors. Also if you really are annoyed by the length you can buy a short piece of PVC and shove the broom handle in there to give it some length. 1/2" PVC works well.

Just saying that TIT and sometimes the little things that annoy you and will never be able to change you can actually suffice to make life easier here.

I found traditional brooms good tools to sweep up leaves and other things outdoor. However, when it comes to thin dust on in-door surfaces, I always have to finish it up with the smaller broom. Having said that it's quite energy and time consuming, I think nothing beats "western" brooms to fight asthma...

They're readily available in Thailand. A bit surprised you haven't come across one - I guess just bad shopping luck. You should be able to pick one up at any mega store - Big C, Tesco Lotus, Carrefour (if there are any around that haven't rebranded as Big C yet). By the way, the Thai ones actually do work a lot better. Maybe the first 3 brooms I bought in Thailand were the kind you posted. The last time I bought one my maid told me she needed to buy one of the cheap dumpy looking "witch" brooms because the kind of broom I had was worthless. I thought that was a bit odd and happened to mention it to one other Thai who seconded that the straw "witch" ones are much better. Have gotten straw ones since then and in my experience, they really do outperform the "Western" kind. But feel free to pick up a non-witch at any of the stores above.
Let me ask my maid.... and I will be back to you asap cool.png

Thanks guys, I'll check 'em out. Would be quite an adventure though, I live DT and those stores appear to be quite far ;)

I don't post a lot on this forum, but it seems that everything I create a new topic, you just post unhelpful and quite stupid answers. No offense but it's always out of topic.

At least, if your posts were funny, it would be ok. But it's not even funny and becomes quite pathetic...

Any helpful comment?

no sense of humour? if you look at their ad.you will2011 see the type of broom ,better still get a wifecheesy.gif

Any helpful comment?

no sense of humour? if you look at their ad.you will2011 see the type of broom ,better still get a wifecheesy.gif

Unfortunately (or fortunately), I'm not retired. My partner also works all day, is educated and would think what you are saying is funny... for half a sec. Why should I delegate an easy task, when I could do it by myself?

Having said that, having sense of humor doesn't prevent anyone from coming up with helpful and knowledgeable answers.

Having said that, having sense of humor doesn't prevent anyone from coming up with helpful and knowledgeable answers.

Don't worry! Welcome to the forum. smile.png

I hope you're not put off by some of these comments.

• Like 1

While on the subject of brooms, has anyone ever seen "push-brooms" for sale in Thailand?

DSP045.jpg

There's times when this style of broom is preferable for the job at hand.

One thing I've noticed is that Thai (traditional) brooms tend to be too short for me. That makes me hunch over when I use it, which makes my back ache after a short time of sweeping.

I was a door to door salesman of brooms, confession. Brooms like this are near useless and hard work to use properly. Why you see them all over the western world is a mystery to me.The 'witches broom' is much more effective and that's what I have been using for the last 40 years before I bought a leaf blower. Maybe you need a training course? ฿800.- an hour plus beer..

I was a door to door salesman of brooms, confession. Brooms like this are near useless and hard work to use properly. Why you see them all over the western world is a mystery to me.The 'witches broom' is much more effective and that's what I have been using for the last 40 years

Confession of a Broom Salesman -- where else, if not here!

Maybe The Last Broomsquire could make a supporting case for besom brooms.

post-155923-0-11764600-1344241144_thumb.

post-155923-0-64777800-1344241151_thumb.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

While on the subject of brooms, has anyone ever seen "push-brooms" for sale in Thailand?

DSP045.jpg

There's times when this style of broom is preferable for the job at hand.

One thing I've noticed is that Thai (traditional) brooms tend to be too short for me. That makes me hunch over when I use it, which makes my back ache after a short time of sweeping.

Now those for sure are available all over the place, Big-C, Lotus, HomePro etc. USELESS compared to straw witch brooms.

I found traditional brooms good tools to sweep up leaves and other things outdoor. However, when it comes to thin dust on in-door surfaces, I always have to finish it up with the smaller broom. Having said that it's quite energy and time consuming, I think nothing beats "western" brooms to fight asthma...

So buy 2 brooms. The straw witch brooms have no comparison to the "back home brooms" when it comes to sweeping outside areas like driveways, patios etc and a good cut-down traditional Thai broom is amazing for indoor use.

PS: If you have Asthma, I don't think a back home broom would be any less comforting then a witch broom lmao.

Any helpful comment?

Unfortunately (or fortunately), I'm not retired. My partner also works all day, is educated and would think what you are saying is funny... for half a sec. Why should I delegate an easy task, when I could do it by myself?

sorry if you cant have a little bit of humour on the topic,just trying to add a little bit of what you call uneducated fun rather than the doom and gloom we have most days,you should post more often will if when you retire like me you will have plenty of time,so good broom hunting i have to take my beloved for his walk.

Anybody know why Thais don't use vacuum cleaners, the problem I see with all these brooms and the like is that they are just moving the dust around from one place to another. I'm often amazed at the amount of dust that collects on our fans and in my computer cooler.

Assuming you're living in a condo, there should be some sort of cleaning ladies who cleans outside of your room. Give them a few Baht to clean your room. Failing that, get a part time maid. smile.png

Sorry Semper, good idea, but the OP explained that he doesn't appreciate a "servant culture" lifestyle. whistling.gif

Edited by Morakot

Anybody know why Thais don't use vacuum cleaners, the problem I see with all these brooms and the like is that they are just moving the dust around from one place to another. I'm often amazed at the amount of dust that collects on our fans and in my computer cooler.

It is probably the price factor.

Assuming you're living in a condo, there should be some sort of cleaning ladies who cleans outside of your room. Give them a few Baht to clean your room. Failing that, get a part time maid. smile.png

Sorry Semper, good idea, but the OP explained that he doesn't appreciate a "servant culture" lifestyle. whistling.gif

Indeed! But Thank you for the maid tip anyway (even if I ve considered it, but should I mentioned it as it's quite self-intuitive).

Indeed! But Thank you for the maid tip anyway (even if I ve considered it, but should I mentioned it as it's quite self-intuitive).

Well, if it doesn't work out with the maid, a butler could be a suitable alternative. thumbsup.gif

post-155923-0-24478300-1344252550_thumb.