Yingluck Seen As Weak, Lacking Leadership

webfact

PM seen as weak, lacking leadership

Pratch Rujivanarom

The Nation

Your say: What do you think about Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra after her first year in office?

Nisakorn Eksamut, 23, English teacher

I think Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is a good-looking woman. She knows how to dress and is very beautiful in formal attire. But I think she is too weak to be prime minister. She always has someone tell her how to do things and how to react. However, I think she has tried her best as the first female PM of the country.

A-lian Tangsakoonpaisarn, 64, retiree

I don't appreciate PM Yingluck Shinawatra because I think she is too weak to be prime minister. The only reason she became PM is because her brother put her in this position to help bring him back to Thailand.

Chonlada Pongpattananukul, 22, flight attendant

I'm really glad that Thailand finally has a female prime minister. It shows that Thailand has more equality between men and women. Although she has made some foolish mistakes, I hope she will improve and do the best she can for the country.

Tipsukon Thongtan, 35, information technology manager

Nearly one year in the position, and there is not much that can be seen as an accomplishment by this PM. There were many problems that challenged her administration, but she just failed again and again. In order to continue and try to survive for another three years, the PM needs to show more strength in both politics and the handling of the economy to gain more confidence from people.

Chakrit Mongkhonthanatakoon, 21, undergraduate student

I think PM Yingluck Shinawatra has behaved herself as the leader of Thai government but she still lacks leadership. She doesn't have her own mind. She also doesn't seem all that interested in solving the people's problems.

Suphat Sangruji, 22, graduate student

In my point of view, PM Yingluck Shinawatra possesses the look of a business executive. At first, it may have been difficult for her to adjust herself to politics since she did not start her career in the political field. Regarding her efficiency in administration, it is quite acceptable. There are many projects going on, but I have no idea whether they will succeed when launched or not.

Bangkok Poll on Yingluck govt's anniversary

PM Yingluck (scores out of 10)

performance: 5.31

devotion: 3.10

decisiveness: 4.75

overall public satisfaction: 4.84

most satisfactory area of performance: foreign affairs (5.32)

least satisfactory area of performance: management and law enforcement (4.47)

Most favoured ministers

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung (22.3%)

Deputy Prime Minister Yongyuth Wichaidith (5.1%)

Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut (3.3%)

29.8% of those sampled said no minister was satisfactory

Most satisfactory work done by government:

counter-narcotics (27.9%)

flood management (15.4%)

Bt300 minimum wage (13.7%)

Satisfaction with political parties (scores out of 10)

Pheu Thai: 5.28

Other coalition parties: 4.37

Democrats: 3.55

Other opposition parties: 3.39

People's demands on the government

Continuity in Yingluck's Cabinet (70.4%)

Cabinet reshuffle (9.8%)

Yingluck's stepping down (5.2%)

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-07

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's with all the 'she's beautiful' comments? I mean in general. Is this really her saving Grace?

I like a good looking woman as much as the next man. Judge her on what she does and what she says.

So far in my humble opinion - she's been useless.

could you answer me this, what do you know that she has done since being in office?

please just you answer this, do you know anything that she has done?

i just want to see if you're speaking out of biased ignorance or do you actually know what you're talking about.

• Like 1

What's with all the 'she's beautiful' comments? I mean in general. Is this really her saving Grace?

I like a good looking woman as much as the next man. Judge her on what she does and what she says.

could you answer me this, what do you know that she has done since being in office?

i just want to see if you're speaking out of biased ignorance or do you actually know what you're talking about.

She hasn't done much, has she? So your questions are rather easy to answer!

And this survey demonstrates that the 'biased ignorance' is all yours!

• Like 1

so you have no idea.

my question was to rkidlad btw... that's why i wrote "please just you answer this"

"Nisakorn Eksamut, 23, English teacher

I think Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is a good-looking woman. She knows how to dress and is very beautiful in formal attire. But I think she is too weak to be prime minister. She always has someone tell her how to do things and how to react. However, I think she has tried her best as the first female PM of the country."

That pretty much sums it up, I would say, both with regards to the characteristics of the prime minister and the abilities of Thai teachers whistling.gif

It's questionable that she even knows where her office is.

If I recall correctly one article providing attendance information implied that 10% of the elected Democrat members had failed to attend a single session, can you attribute reasoning for this rather alarming evaluation?

If I recall correctly one article providing attendance information implied that 10% of the elected Democrat members had failed to attend a single session, can you attribute reasoning for this rather alarming evaluation?

This isn't a competition between who is worst the dems or the PT party. Instead of bickering about which party is winning the race to the bottom, how about an objective appraisal about what these results mean for the development of the country and most importantly the countries ost important asset ...its people.

It is fairly clear that the Thai pubic are quickly losing faith in the ability of any political party to move Thailand forward. And that is the real tragedy here. None of the political parties have the best interests of Thailand at heart,

They rant and rave at each other in some primate display of political machismo in parliament, all the while the infrastructure slowly crumbles, crime rises, opportunities decline, corruption increases, and the social moral fabric deteriorates and the political parties have the audacity to boast and thump their chest at the supposed achievements.

To defend either side is to buy into their abject failures to deliver change and development.

To understand politics one has to possess the ability to accept that while politicians are the elected body, they do not carry the ultimate burden of controlling and running a country, they are elected figureheads and provide a distraction, an illusion that the proletariat have a say in their own future, while the real players get on with business.

• Like 2

This isn't a competition between who is worst the dems or the PT party. Instead of bickering about which party is winning the race to the bottom, how about an objective appraisal about what these results mean for the development of the country and most importantly the countries ost important asset ...its people.

It is fairly clear that the Thai pubic are quickly losing faith in the ability of any political party to move Thailand forward. And that is the real tragedy here. None of the political parties have the best interests of Thailand at heart,

They rant and rave at each other in some primate display of political machismo in parliament, all the while the infrastructure slowly crumbles, crime rises, opportunities decline, corruption increases, and the social moral fabric deteriorates and the political parties have the audacity to boast and thump their chest at the supposed achievements.

To defend either side is to buy into their abject failures to deliver change and development.

Sadly, you're quite right. Thailand is becoming more and more like a 'western' democracy in which people hold high hopes when a new party comes into power and, few years later, can hardly wait to throw them out.

Probably blocked out by the red hordes. ;)

• Like 1

I whole heartedly agree with your summary. The only bloke who appeared qualified for the position which he took in politics in the last 5 years was Korn. He set out a plan, and negotiated the economy through some stormy seas. Unfortunately, no one else seems remotely qualified for the responsibilities which they take.

She hasn't done too badly or too well, but what was one expecting??

• Like 2

My Score:

performance: 1.00

devotion: 0.10

decisiveness: 0.01

overall public satisfaction: -10

most satisfactory area of performance: Travel and Shopping 10.00

least satisfactory area of performance: Answering questions 0.10

so you have no idea.

my question was to rkidlad btw... that's why i wrote "please just you answer this"

As this is a public forum, you should have send him an email!

Maybe you would like to explain what it is I don't understand. Elaborate if you dare................

I think, she doing the best, what she can... she spent money a lot, like the most other woman. But it is right, she looks better than Angela Merkel from Germany. And she is Thaksins Sister...

I feel like living in a soap show...clap2.gif

• Like 1

Not a fair question, nobody knows what she has done.....except leave the country at every opportunity......which come to think of it, is a service to the country.

• Like 2

Correction: TOTALLY USELESS....

• Like 1

These types of surveys can be misleading as one needs to know how the respondents were choosed and how the questions was structured. The first thing to consider is that the poll was conducted in Bangkok which is traditionally a Dem stronghold. If the survey covered the whole country it may look different. Even so the PT party scored a 52,8% approval rate against the Dems 35,5% which is significant and supprising. The fact that the survey showed that the people scored YS low but on the over hand only 5,2% wants her to leave office indicates that most people believe she can improve on her performance and trust her to do so. Only time will tell if she would be seen by history as a swan or a duckling.

+1

Not a fair question, nobody knows what she has done.....except leave the country at every opportunity......which come to think of it, is a service to the country.

I'll tell you what she has done.

She has appointed a spokesman to answer questions on her behalf because she is so bewildered about things she cannot answer anything herself.

She has appointed so many committees to oversee so many problems of her own making that she will ultimately drown her cabinet in meaningless minutes and will be rewarded with countless camels as a result.

She has passed every single project that she doesn't want concluded to Chalerm who, true to form, comes onto the scene with lots of bluster and promises and subsequently disappears without a trace.

She has liberated budget by shifting national debt to the BoT to finance and the allocated budget has somehow managed to disappear with little to no return.

She managed to make all kinds of promises to retain Japanese business and not one of them looks like being fulfilled.

She has squandered a full year of government time failing in almost all election promises whilst her useless cabinet strives to do everything possible for one man.

And she has managed to do everything that she can against reconciliation.

How we all look forward with baited breath to year 2 of this nincompoopery.

Can someone keep this somewhere? Sums up pretty much the whole thing.

• Like 1

My Score:

performance: 1.00

devotion: 0.10

decisiveness: 0.01

overall public satisfaction: -10

most satisfactory area of performance: Travel and Shopping 10.00

least satisfactory area of performance: Answering questions 0.10

yes but that aren't things that are important for a PM.

Important is the right family and 500 Baht per vote.