Local Radio In Phuket

jayleshark

I have been on the island for 5 years and worked for 3 out of the 4 English speaking radio stations. All have positives and negatives and I am sure this post will get some interesting feedback.

However I am reaching out to ask the people of Thai Visa what they like about the local radio and what they dislike. I also would like to know what type of music people would like and if there is anything that all the radio stations should be doing. When do you listen, do you advertise and if the answer is no why not?

Please do not use this topic as a local radio bashing, but try to tell us all what you would like to have.

I am just doing some market research and any then any of the radio stations can read the topic and hopefully take some of the ideas on board.

We all live on a small island and its great to have the different choices of radio and so that's a positive.

I am only interested in making the quality of the radio better so any feedback would be great. And yes I know most people will say better reception so no need to add that one as we all know that. ;-)

Thanks so much

Peace and Love

Jay Leshark

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truly miss old Jazz (Miles, etc etc). Hardly ever hear Pink Floyd on the radio. The replays on the songs now at 91.5 is ridiculous.

I also miss stories of songs and how they came about. How the songwriters created them. Band stories, etc etc.

About 7 years ago, on 90.5, they had an lovely old Thai lady that explained Thai music and their musicians (Late afternoon on Sundays). Great intro to their style.

Anyways, just babbling...

Good luck.

• Like 1

I will try to be as positive and suggestive as possible. This will be hard.

I have listened to them all. At all times of day.

On a scale of 1-10. 1 being the best. I would rate the DJs at a 9 and the music at a 6. The college DJs at any U is better than anything here. I actually feel embarrassed at times for the DJs.

I hear 1 song an hour, that I like, on a good day.

How to improve: I think classic rock is going to be most popular. Most expats are going to be 45 plus and desire that music. Go to the most popular European and US radio web sites. Look at the most popular 500 songs for the past few years and incorperate those in your library. Nothing wrong with playing some new stuff, just keep Justin B. out of it.

• Like 1

First, I would guess that the average age of targeted listeners, i.e. Phuket-based expats is somewhat older than a typical demographic, also predominantly male, so modern dance music and girlie pop is probably not what most listeners want to hear, myself included. That's why my station of choice is 89.5 as 91.5 tries to be too hip in its music choice and 90.5 is the exact opposite. Classic rock with a bit of soul, Motown etc thrown in for good measure.

But even on 89.5, where there's an almost unlimited catalogue of music they could play, I still hear the same songs too often. Why?

DJs need to be professional and natural. Again, with a couple of exceptions, 89.5 wins. Wooden DJs and those that struggle with English just don't cut it and can be simply annoying. I simply couldn't bear to listen to the Thai girl on 90.5's breakfast show a while back.

Keep the local news current. There is nothing worse than hearing the previous day's stories in the news. No excuse for 89.5 on this one!

Annoying ads are a turn-off. I literally used to switch the radio off when the Laguna Wedding Chapel ad featured on 91.5. And I know I wasn't alone in hating this ad.

A couple of weekly speciality shows would be good. Blues, soul, jazz, reggae, world music etc. Good for outside peak times.

There are of course necessary evils: promotions, sponsorships, commercials, plugs and we all have to accept these and it's not that bad generally.

All in all, we should consider ourselves lucky to have a choice of English language stations in Phuket.

Edited by madmitch
  • Like 1

I always favour a mainstream mix of classic and modern popular music, leaving out the marginal stuff that only appeals to specific demographics (such as punk and its variations and rap). Younger folk don't mind the classic stuff either, but they and many of us older folk also don't mind modern stuff that is mainstream/commercial. Mix it up and maintain a large playlist.

My old mobile phone gets FM stations. But I haven't really ever listened. Why bother when I have two iPods and more music on hard drives than I could listen to in years? Is there a station with local news in English?

It would be nice if you did not have to hear an hour of BBC news on the hour. I like 89.5, but you

have to be parked in their driveway to keep a signal

Yes, the signal of 89.5 is not good, keeps dropping, and for every minute of real radio content they have two minutes promoting themselves! They should rename the station 'Radio Narcissus'! 91.5 Phuket Radio and 90.5 Blue Wave are both a lot stronger, so I tend to switch back and forth between them while driving. There's another English language station too, but I don't know much about it.

Is there some sort of regulatory body that limits how much power you can put out? It's pretty frustrating driving a few km's and then getting a bad signal before it drops altogether. I got so tired of it I just play my own mixes from stored media when driving.

Is there some sort of regulatory body that limits how much power you can put out? It's pretty frustrating driving a few km's and then getting a bad signal before it drops altogether. I got so tired of it I just play my own mixes from stored media when driving.

With some of the Thai stations, it's hard to know if it's music, or just a bad signal.

I know Jay said he did not want to hear about signal strength but to clarify on this my understanding is the likes of 89.5 & 91.5 are limited by regulation in the size of transmitter they can use. I usually have good reception in my travels (I only listen in the car) except for Nai Harn. I don't normally traverse through other dead spots in Kata/Karon but have had 91.5 all the way to Thaimuang in the past.

In the mornings I do the school run & enjoy the banter between Sam & Natasha on 89.5. Most of the time their music is pretty much to my taste. I went off 91.5 when they started to feature too much garage music which was introduced by Mark Wilkinson & like Mitch I immediately switched to another station when that terrible Laguna ad came on. I also agree with Mitch about the demographic here on Phuket & so classic rock should be more the norm rather than the exception. I occasionally listen to 90.5 but don't think much of their DJs. Apart from the 2 mentioned above I like DJ Doris & always get a chuckle when Jay does his "hostess with the mostest" self promotion. The show on 91.5 where a local personality would play his 10 favourite songs was quite good especially when they had a chance to tell some of their own history & experiences.

I listen to Blue wave 90.5. Pretty much best radio station I have experienced in my life. Good music, not too much self promotion (which is really annoying).

There is some downsides as well. News section is a bit so so as some of the thai readers should be doing something else than read news in English.

Also the safety driving campaign is pretty annoying after long time and should be changed.

Then question: How do you rate an DJ? By the music they play, by the amount of talk, quality of talk?

For me the less talk, the better.

Truly miss old Jazz (Miles, etc etc). Hardly ever hear Pink Floyd on the radio. The replays on the songs now at 91.5 is ridiculous.

I also miss stories of songs and how they came about. How the songwriters created them. Band stories, etc etc.

About 7 years ago, on 90.5, they had an lovely old Thai lady that explained Thai music and their musicians (Late afternoon on Sundays). Great intro to their style.

Anyways, just babbling...

Good luck.

Agreed

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect App

Wow thank you all for some of the feedback. Of course its always fun to read the comments from sad and negative people who like to moan about everything and more often than not use a nickname rather then being a man and at least owning up to comments, they also seem to know everything about everything and of course are experts in everything. I have to say thou that this is only directed at one poster/

So that off my back thank you everyone else for the feedback and please do keep it coming as of course we want to all no matter what radio station continue improving the radio on our Island.

I will be taking a lot of what has been said here to the people that make decisions and I hope the other radio stations also do the same.

Please always remember that over 40 year old expats are not the only target market for all media and anyone who is in marketing on Phuket should be looking at the younger crowd that is now really up and coming, with some young professional Thais and young expats all starting to push Phuket forward.

TPeace and love to you all and keep the posts coming.

Wow thank you all for some of the feedback. Of course its always fun to read the comments from sad and negative people who like to moan about everything and more often than not use a nickname rather then being a man and at least owning up to comments, they also seem to know everything about everything and of course are experts in everything. I have to say thou that this is only directed at one poster/

Now <deleted> is that one all about? Why to destroy a good thread with such an rant?

Now <deleted> is that one all about? Why to destroy a good thread with such an rant?

A surprising response from a 'public' figure. Does does not help his fan club much. I remind members about forum rule 1) To respect fellow members.

• Like 1

+1

• Like 1

and more often than not use a nickname rather then being a man and at least owning up to comments

This old chestnut.......again.

Using a nickname is nothing to do with not "being a man", nor is it cowardly.

There are a lot of weirdos out in cyber-land and if you give them your real name it just lets them get one, or two steps closer to actual, real-life stalking. You want to be tracked down and put your loved ones at risk?

IMO giving a real name is just running an unnecessary risk.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1

Was a big fan of 91.5 in the old days. Still listen to the early morning BBC news between 6 - 8 AM. Stopped listening when the UK house music started a few years ago. Only listen in the car when going to the airport, since I can get the signal nearly all the way up.

For local driving, I now listen to 89.5. Music more to my taste. Not the same adverts every 15 minutes.

I am into 60's classic rock for the most part. Actually heard a Neil Young song on 89.5 last week. Would like more Led Zep, The Who, Sabbath, etc...

• Like 1

Oh dear, I seem to have upset some of the members and in no way was I trying to do that, I just wanted good feed back on how to improve the local radio for everyone's benefit rather than just being negative. For those who have done this thank you so much I really do appreciate it.

For those who dislike what I said then so be it,

I don't mind as everyone has an opinion and that's what makes us all interesting and keep them coming, but all I ask is that you give constructive feedback

1) To respect fellow members.

oh look we are a hot topic now. Thats awesome. So back to the radio, anyone like these ideas?

Mowtown show

Swing and jazz show

Dance and house music show

The album show, (play a whole album from one band)

Chilled out Show

The top 40

Rock show

Disco show

World music show

Classical Show

Music form the movies show

Please feel free to like or dislike the ideas.

Peace and love to everyone...