California Wow Raises Renewal Fees

hhgz

My initial reaction was one of annoyance and frustration at first (along the same thoughts of Garet), but Tropo has made some good and valid points (though his reaction to anyone who disagrees with him is a bit OTT) such as, how needs for business survival and our gym requirements come before the contract agreements, as lets face it, 100 baht yearly renewal is too good to be true. Tthough understandably this new requirement in principal it is wrong - if your landlord suddenly increased your rent from 10,000 baht a month to 200,000 baht a week or something you will probably be a bit annoyed - if it means having these gyms or NOT having these gyms then I can see why they've done it. As said, I understand why they have done it but people on here and at C Wow must accept many people won't accept this, won't be happy and certainly will have lost trust in them.

What they should have done is offered a different yearly renewal lets say, 2000 baht instead of 100 as I think going from 100 baht a year to about 700 baht a MONTH is a bit of a jump. I know many people who will not pay this, either because, of the principal, they're being cheap skates, they don't want to pay that much, lost trust in them or hardly use the gym anyway.

I'm still bewildered they got away with this Lifetime membership for so long, really bad business management and in a way they are the victims of their own stupidity.

What interests me know is how are they going to implement this -

- Will ALL members this targets be expected to now pay this monthly fee all of a sudden? Surely a majority percentage will refuse.

- WIll it only affect members who come in through the door? Or will it be expected by all members through personal letters?

- If some people pay and the majority don't and they still don't open up the gyms again due to lack of money; will these people lose their money?

The reason I ask they need to set a clear agenda what they're planning, because let's face it, TRUST in their gyms has completely gone now; staff don't trust them and their members don't, so how could they expect members to pay a monthly fee when no-one knows if they have a gym open or not.

For myself, I won't pay....yet. Reason being, I hardly used it, as I have a gym at the condo which is far more convenient; I want to keep my membership open, but I won't pay this extra new fee for a gym I rarely use (once in 3 months) when I also don't know if these other gyms will open again, if they will still refuse to change one of the venues on my membership and I hardly use it atm.

If and when I need to use it on a regular basis, I will pay the extra but, they shouldn't expect all members to suddenly pay it now.

On a side note, I for one, do like Cal Wow in some aspects, the equipment, the cheap lifetime deal (whoops that's gone) and though it doesn't bother me, I do agree, the music IS annoying, it doesn't need to be that loud, surely. I also find their sales staff a joke at times, I was once offered a towel for 3000 baht, I just stared at her opened mouth, speechless, she followed up with "As a valued member you can have it for 2500, special price"; I had to laugh and explained I could go next door to Robinsons and buy one for less than a 100 baht! I'm also annoyed how they refused to change one of my 3 gym venues membership to another venue, unless I buy a new Lifetime Membership. As if I want TWO? Completely rude if you don't accept their deals.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that Cawow is finally out of business, I understand that True Fitness is buying up some of their old locations. That is good news, as it will likely be better run and more well-maintained than before. Of course, I doubt that they would honour Cawow memberships tongue.png

the Siam Paragon and Chiang Mai branches of California are still operating....so not quite out of business yet...

it would be great if True Fitness takes over some of the old California locations...I am a member of True too...could you please provide info on where you heard that?

thanks!!

New Tony fitness BUAKAO: at least the price is bright and I won't fear to have my throat cut in the middle of the night when going there !

It's also a good spot to come back home witha friend after 2 hours exercise :-)

90 Thb is acceptable compared to 220 at Sport world plastic tent gym.

Lifefitness cardio machines really are the newest and best on the market.