Education Visa Longevity - 3 Years Maximum?

Hello Everone!

I have a question and all help is much appreciated in advance, thank you!

How long can one extend an educational visa for thai language courses? Is there a 3 year maximum? I intend to study the thai language very seriously so any immigration language tests on border runs / thai national language exams is no problem.

Thank you all for your inputs!

Best Regards!

It depends on the approval of the school. Some are approved to give courses for 3 years, others for levels up to 5 years.

You do not have to study Thai. The only criteria is that the school and the course are approved. After studying Thai you can study something else.

• Like 1

@ Mario2008: how can people be warned against repeated malpractices of a school, when you are not even allow members of this forum to mention the name of the school? I would have appreciated warning messages against this school on this forum, now I was trapped myself. Thai policies on this have been explained to me before, but I think you are too careful here, when people are just stating facts....

For further info, a Thai Ed-Visa is only given for 3 months, it is then extended by immigration every 90 days when you report. On that visa you can have further extensions for upto 3 yrs, then you need to re-apply for another one and you can do the same process for upto 10 years. This is what I have been told by a school that I am enrolling with here in Thailand, they are a very reputable and known school. I have also read it in a few other places.

Hope that helps.

Actually such a visa can be single entry of 90 days or multi entry valid for a year of 90 day stays. Extension can be up to one year at a time. For non full time study the normal extension is currently 90 days from most immigration offices.

Hi, I am currently on my 4th year ED visa for Studying Thai Language, so I can tell you it is possible. I think it depends on the reputation of the school you are attending and their arrangements with the Immigration Office.

After you get your first ED Visa you have to keep getting it extended every 90 days. But that is really easy and problem free. Then you can use that visa to get up to 3 years. After that you have to apply for a new one which I was told can last up to 10 years.

I would take yourself off to a few of the more well know language schools in your area and speak to the staff to get a clear understanding of the process, then you can decide which school to study at. I am using Pro Language School in Chiang Mai and they have been great for me and I have had no problems with my ED visa, so I can recommend that school, but there are also others such as Wallen and AUA you might also like to check out.

Actually such a visa can be single entry of 90 days or multi entry valid for a year of 90 day stays. Extension can be up to one year at a time. For non full time study the normal extension is currently 90 days from most immigration offices.

I'M just curious if there are any different entry and exit rules between the single entry and multiple entry 'ED' visas. Firstly though, are you able to get a multiple entry, 12 month 'ED' visa if you are only studying part-time throughout the year? With the multiple entry, do you still have to get a re-entry permit when leaving the country and do you get a fresh 90 days when arriving back or not?

I guess I'm wondering if the 'ED' multiple entry has similar entry and exit conditions to the 'O' and 'B' multiple entry visa, which I've used in the past.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Cheers

I'M just curious if there are any different entry and exit rules between the single entry and multiple entry 'ED' visas. Firstly though, are you able to get a multiple entry, 12 month 'ED' visa if you are only studying part-time throughout the year? With the multiple entry, do you still have to get a re-entry permit when leaving the country and do you get a fresh 90 days when arriving back or not?

I guess I'm wondering if the 'ED' multiple entry has similar entry and exit conditions to the 'O' and 'B' multiple entry visa, which I've used in the past.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Still wondering if you able to get a a multiple entry ED visa if only studying part time (at a Thai school) or is that only available for full time students?

it strongly depends on where you apply for the Ed-visa, in Asia that is unlikely and it seems Thai embassies and consulates have been instructed to issue only single ED-visas and have students apply for axtensions of stay when in Thailand. It seems only a few consulates still give multiple ED-visas. You can always try, but it would be wise to show the need for a multiple instead of a single.