Thaksin Kicks Off U.S. Trip With Cheers And Jeers

webfact

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP is about Thaksin going to the US, and some green polly has a gripe about it.................sheesh, who really gives a Tinkers cuss if Thaksin goes to the States or not??

Apparently some red shirt Thai-American toadies care enough to put their asses in the seats there.

This is why I reckon this visa approval had to be at the Hillary Clinton level and yes it DOES send a message about where the US stands on this internal Thai conflict.

The US Government must want something from the Thai Government.

Sure they do. It's the new Asian shift to provide a counter power to China.

You sure that is not a meeting of his South Korean security detail? I only count about 30 in attendance. According to all the facts on TV shows woman are always included on these security teams.

It does look like an embarrassing venue for someone with such a big ego.

The OP is about Thaksin going to the US, and some green polly has a gripe about it.................sheesh, who really gives a Tinkers cuss if Thaksin goes to the States or not??

Apparently some red shirt Thai-American toadies care enough to put their asses in the seats there.
So what name do you give to the "yellow shirt foes that were on hand to boo him"?

This is why I reckon this visa approval had to be at the Hillary Clinton level and yes it DOES send a message about where the US stands on this internal Thai conflict.

The US Government must want something from the Thai Government.

Yep, and it likely won't be a 5% reduction in tariffs for imported American potato chips.

Sorry I've been away for a few days, Is that Thaksin in America, I mean really? Wow, because I got the impression from a lot of posters that he'd never get a visa for America! Mind you there's bound to be something fishy in it surely, it is Thaksin after all. I bet people are saying the present government have got something to do with it, eh? Anybody tried to arrest him yet?

Just to bring you up to speed, apparently the US government thinks he's a completely innocent man who was stitched up by courts that ruled on him unfairly, in defiance of Thaksin's own party that was in power at the time, and his visa approval has nothing to do with international diplomatic back scratching and personally made phone calls from Thaksin's cousin who happens to be foreign minister. And if you are wondering it has taken until now, a total of six years, to visit a country that was always welcoming to him, it's simply that unlike everyone else who took threats from the past government of arresting him overseas as empty posturing, he took it very seriously and feared for his own incarceration.

• Like 1

Look, regardless of where you stand on Thaksin, the facts of the matter are these: he was democratically elected, ousted in a coup, and then convicted in absentia under a government that was effectively installed by the coup-makers. Under a subsequent election, Thaksin's party was again elected into power. So even if Thaksin is fully guilty of the charges against him, his conviction will necessarily be seen as being politically motivated, at least in part. The US authorities will of course get the same story from the current Thai government, which would only serve to corroborate this perception. So it shouldn't be surprising if a visa were granted (especially as it would have been supported by the Thai authorities).

By way of comparison, China considers the Dalai Lama to be a criminal of even greater dimensions (responsible, in their eyes, for terrorism and treason). However, that does not prevent the US and other countries from allowing him to visit because they understand that these accusations are politically motivated. Of course, I am NOT saying that the Dalai Lama and Thaksin are on the 'same level' in any respect, only that the US will understandably be more flexible in granting visas to 'criminals' when the criminal charges are seen to have a political dimension. [And, yes, I expect the Thaksin-haters to ignore this and flame me nonetheless.... asbestos suit on...]

Se the link below, notice the date.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/apr/04/thailand1

You sure that is not a meeting of his South Korean security detail? I only count about 30 in attendance. According to all the facts on TV shows woman are always included on these security teams.

A walk-up, nondescript, $6.95 luncheon special, Thai restaurant.

I bet is was an 'All you can swallow' verbal buffet too.

The US is out of order in granting this visa. Take out all the corruption allegations ( convictions ) etc, they have granted a visa to the man that oversaw the extrajudicial execution of 2500 people during the drug clampdown.

You can't even say it was the execution of drug suspects, as it was only last week several police were convicted of murdering a young boy at that time, under the guise of this clampdown.

TS should be arrested for that policy alone, the US has disgraced itself by issuing this visa to a man with a diabolical human rights record.

Although I agree with you here, he's not been convicted of these human rights violations? Right? If not, what can the US do??? Thailand has to convict him first, and we know that will never happen.

Putin visits the US and look at Russia's human rights issues. Not to mention so many other nations. Sad, isn't it?

It's a selective enforcement policy on the part of the US...........at the very least they shouldn't be giving tacit approval to this man's actions by allowing him an unnecsessary tourist visa. It's this type of hypocrisy that irritates the rest of the World. " Don't do as we do, do as we say".

@geriatrickid.......coffee1.gif I mean seriously, coffee1.gif

So what name do you give to the "yellow shirt foes that were on hand to boo him"?

Yellow-shirt Thai-American Toadies ?

Sorry I've been away for a few days, Is that Thaksin in America, I mean really? Wow, because I got the impression from a lot of posters that he'd never get a visa for America! Mind you there's bound to be something fishy in it surely, it is Thaksin after all. I bet people are saying the present government have got something to do with it, eh? Anybody tried to arrest him yet?

Just to bring you up to speed, apparently the US government thinks he's a completely innocent man who was stitched up by courts that ruled on him unfairly, in defiance of Thaksin's own party that was in power at the time, and his visa approval has nothing to do with international diplomatic back scratching and personally made phone calls from Thaksin's cousin who happens to be foreign minister. And if you are wondering it has taken until now, a total of six years, to visit a country that was always welcoming to him, it's simply that unlike everyone else who took threats from the past government of arresting him overseas as empty posturing, he took it very seriously and feared for his own incarceration.

Oh good I do hope that is the case and you're not being sarcastic because you're upset he did get a visa for the USA. People show it in different ways but generally it ends up coming out as some petty bitterness about the size of venues he's gone to and how tacky they are or people blaming the present government for helping him with such a visa. I actually find those kind of people amusing in a small way...............

American Royalists?

the one that says do not make alterations to peoples posts without indicating why?

I don't recall any rule that states that. What number is that one?

I do know of the rule that states don't alter words in a post to change its meaning, which didn't occur.

If you have questions regarding clarification of forum rules, a PM to a moderator would be your best course of action.

They've reminded you and the forum enough times of that already.

American Royalists?

Could very well be. Ever after the English were thrown out Americans started to have this fixation with 'Royalty". Like Bush jr. who was really impressed with Elisabeth Taylor if I remember correctly smile.png

(edit: opened dictionary, impressed with not by)

Edited by rubl

No, they're not toadies.

encapsulated in his post speech photo, missing only the caption,

"How in the world did I ever end up in this dump?"

P-16.jpg

More like "Water? Where's the wine I ordered?"

"Sorry, we can't afford a liquor license."

Oh good I do hope that is the case and you're not being sarcastic because you're upset he did get a visa for the USA. People show it in different ways but generally it ends up coming out as some petty bitterness about the size of venues he's gone to and how tacky they are or people blaming the present government for helping him with such a visa. I actually find those kind of people amusing in a small way...............

Not nearly as amusing as those who vicariously enjoy the antics of a psychopathic crook, I reckon.

• Like 1