Possible To Get White Plates Faster

robblok

I am getting a new car tomorrow but i hear a lot about long waiting times for white plates. I am paying the car (no finance). Is there a way to get the plates faster then ?

Im not in the mood of opening myself up for problem from the BIB

If you are saying "white plates" do you mean actually the plates,or the registration itself?I've mention that,since there is an obvious problem with actual production of the plates,but normally you can get your blue book and the windshield sticker much quicker,if you are paying the car in full.

Now,I've heard that you can actually do it yourself,just get your proof of payment and all the documents from the dealer...if he will let you.Obviously,they would like to hold on to your money as long as possible for some reasons whistling.gif ,so normally you would wait for quite a while...I may be wrong,so get a second opinion....but it's worth to try smile.png

Normally takes 30 days but recently they changed manufacturer of the plates and also with the 100,000 baht rebate it led to more plates than ever.

Last batch were bad with white peeling away and wouldn't last a year.

You can tell the new batch from smaller and better spaced numbers compared to the old.

Estimate is now 60 to 90 days for the white plates.

But if i understand correctly your car will be registered and taxes will be paid, but you just don't have the white plates

I mean that you do have a blue book and a tax stikker.

That is my understanding as well...

But if i understand correctly your car will be registered and taxes will be paid, but you just don't have the white plates

If you have those you will be fine.

Might get pulled over more but once you produce those you will be waved on.

Police are aware of the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the blue book (tabien rot) and the insurance sticker, as of today.

Problem is the dealer took my red plates way and my husband gave the brown book that went with them back as well.

I am not happy as now I have NO PLATES.

Is this legal?

Are the cops going to pull me over a lot?

I have seen lots of cars with no plates in Krabi, but I have to drive back to Bangkok next week with the baby, can I drive in Bangkok with no plates? I don't recall seeing cars with no plates in Bangkok.

If you have those you will be fine.

Might get pulled over more but once you produce those you will be waved on.

Police are aware of the problem.

I bought my car in April got it in may and still waiting for the plates now.wifey was told December.

The dealer just asked for me to turn in my Red plates and I was just told it should be October before I receive the White plates.....(so it will probably be December!) cheesy.gifcheesy.gifsad.png

Problem is the dealer took my red plates way and my husband gave the brown book that went with them back as well.

Is this legal?

I have seen lots of cars with no plates in Krabi, but I have to drive back to Bangkok next week with the baby, can I drive in Bangkok with no plates? I don't recall seeing cars with no plates in Bangkok.

When the dealer asked for me to return my Red plates and brown book, he gave me a road tax sticker (photo copied) and paperwork listing my proposed new license plate number. He stated that the white plates are due in October - Yeah, right! I really don't like riding around the country with no plates and a luck would have it, I returned the brown book but he 'forgot' to remove the Red plates from my car!! clap2.gif So I have 'new plate paper work (in my glove box) and nice respectable Red plates (hopefully) until the White plates come in! thumbsup.gif

I just got my new Ranger today and...since I'm in CM and not planning any long trips,I didn't care about the red plates...but wait,my little daughter saw a new car and ask where are the red plates?...I've said it is not important and...she asked,daddy,are you sure it is a new car?...you must have red plates,how the neighbors will know it's a new car?...555555...laugh.png

• Like 1

I see the new plates now have smaller letters and numbers and they've moved the letters more towards the centre so now the majority of the plates look on the piss instead of the minoritysad.png

Hey Kartman, I'm from the other side of the pond and I don't understand your expression, "the majority of the plates look on the piss instead of the minority". blink.pnghuh.png

Can you enlighten me? wai.gif

Normally takes 30 days but recently they changed manufacturer of the plates and also with the 100,000 baht rebate it led to more plates than ever.

Last batch were bad with white peeling away and wouldn't last a year.

You can tell the new batch from smaller and better spaced numbers compared to the old.

Estimate is now 60 to 90 days for the white plates.

How does this 100,000 rebate work?

The short answer is that the govt. will give first-time Thai car buyers of autos, priced not more than 1,000,000 baht, a 1000,000 rebate.

Edited by thailoht

The short answer is that the govt. will give first-time Thai car buyers of autos, priced not more than 1,000,000 baht, a 1000,000 rebate.

Wow, that would be even more attractive than it already is. Maybe remove 1 zero?

Wow, that would be even more attractive than it already is. Maybe remove 1 zero?

Ooops!

I intended to write that the rebate amount is supposed to be 100,000 baht.

I bought a new car on 6th April. Received my sticker and blue book in June. Still waiting for number plates. No red plates issued. I see a lot of cars without number plates.

But if i understand correctly your car will be registered and taxes will be paid, but you just don't have the white plates -

I mean, do you have a blue book and a tax sticker?

I bought a new car on 6th April. Received my sticker and blue book in June. Still waiting for number plates. No red plates issued. I see a lot of cars without number plates.ing

The dealer tried to issue me a 'plate-less' car when I first went to collect it but I was having none of it. He ended up giving me a set of Red plates before I would take possession of the car. Since then, I have been looking out for 'plate-less' cars but have only sighted two cars so far.

Is the 'sticker' that the dealer gave to you the actual decal that sticks to the windshield or is it a paper based facsimile?

Also, how far from the top or bottom or bottom of the windshield is the proper location to attach the Road Tax sticker on a new car?

Edited by thailoht

Is this legal?

My (Thai) brother-in-law was stopped by police in Chumphon, whist driving from Bangkok to Phuket. He'd lost the front (red) number plate driving through a flooded section of road. Result: 2,000 Bht fine received in the post!

I have found that in Thailand they are not self sticking. We bought a plastic cover that is sticky and used this to fixed to the windscreen. I placed it down low on passenger side We bought this from the little store in our small village. It appears this is what the locals do. I hope this helps.

But if i understand correctly your car will be registered and taxes will be paid, but you just don't have the white plates -

I mean, do you have a blue book and a tax sticker?

I bought a new car on 6th April. Received my sticker and blue book in June. Still waiting for number plates. No red plates issued. I see a lot of cars without number plates.ing

The dealer tried to issue me a 'plate-less' car when I first went to collect it but I was having none of it. He ended up giving me a set of Red plates before I would take possession of the car. Since then, I have been looking out for 'plate-less' cars but have only sighted two cars so far.

Is the 'sticker' that the dealer gave to you the actual decal that sticks to the windshield or is it a paper based facsimile?

Also, how far from the top or bottom or bottom of the windshield is the proper location to attach the Road Tax sticker on a new car?

TIT stick wherever you want!!

If it is a Nissan expect to wait 6 months!!

Yes, Nissan Phuket holds on to all money as long as they can, months and months, even if you pay all in cash. However, I think that is only Nissan Phuket. I once bought a car there in August, received the white plates in February.

Edited by stevenl

How do they know the thai person does not already own other vehicles? how do the give you the rebate, cash?

How do they know the thai person does not already own other vehicles? how do the give you the rebate, cash?

They check the registers.

After 1 year the rebate will be given to a bank account.

They check the registers.

After 1 year the rebate will be given to a bank account.

Ok, thanks for the info.