2012 Yamaha Nouvo Sx. Anyone Own One?

schnazzy

I bought my Nouvo SX about 1 1/2 months ago. I strongly prefer Yamaha over Honda or Suzuki for build and looks and I had a 2010 Nouvo which I liked because it was a bigger sized bike with larger wheels, fatter seat and 135cc. Now, the bike is just 125cc which was a little disappointing and the only color that did not have the wire rims (which I detest) in the black one with neon green trim (on the bike and rims). It still is the same size, tires, seat and still rides the same. The only real complaints I have is I am always getting an Er-1 message and my bike has been in the shop twice for it already. The dealer keeps saying it's a loose cable, but after two times in less than two months, it's starting to irritate me and as someone else has already said, the throttle is a bit touchy. Otherwise, it still a nice bike and much better than any Honda or Suzuki I've come across with the only exception of a PCX.

Nomad.....I agree with you entirely re Yamaha's build quality being superior to Honda's or Suziki's.

Recently I've rented two Honda Click 125's with low mileage. I had problems latching the seat on both or these rentals, one which I rented on Koh Larn Island, the other from a German rental shop near me that does a meticulous job maintaining its rentals. I've never had such issues with Yamahas. Also the turn indicator position on the Click 125 I is horrible. Both my Elegance and my gf's Yamaha Filano have excellent turn indicator positions. Now...as to the one rear shock on the Honda Click--it is grotesquely inferior to a twin shock setup on the rear. Now...some have stated that because some much larger bikes employ a monoshock on the rear successfully then the Honda Click's single shock must also be perfectly fine. But anyone who believes this is simply not applying the critical thinking skills he was born with. The single shock on bikes such as the Click, the Fino, Mio, Honda Scoopy, my girlfriend's Filano, etc are on one side only and this can be problematical. They are also no larger or more powerful than a single shock from a pair of shocks used on Honda Waves, Nouvo's, etc. This single shock is one of many cost cutting measures that allow the manufacturer to reap greater profits. I'm not saying that such bikes cannot be fun to drive or that they can't do the job getting the owner around town, but they are very inferior to bikes that are engineered to really deliver the goods. The Nouvos drive very well as is. That being said, go up one tire size with a set of Michelin Pilots and you have one very superior handling machine that is incomparably better than lesser bikes. A Honda PCX is a different kettle of worms than these inferior bikes, I must admit. However, it is much more expensive than a Nouvo, and although it's even better on the highway it will not give its driver that being a part of the machine feel that a Nouvo will.

Edited by jackcorbett
  • Like 1

Nouvo Elegance:

beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAubeatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAubeatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

The new Mio 125i is the way to go, same engine as the SX, but 10k cheaper

SX has

Larger wheels

tubeless tyres on mag wheel version

Bigger underseat storage

Much Better lights

Far cooler dash with tripometer, fuel consumption

Double shocks

Pay the extra 10k and get good value

• Like 2

I bought a used SX a month ago, and I am very happy with it. As others have said, the headlight is the best there is on a 125cc bike, under seat storage is great, good engine,

Also, if anybody wants the English version of the owners manual, PM me if my upload fails.

Manual Nouvo SX.pdf

• Like 1

The Nouvos drive very well as is. That being said, go up one tire size with a set of Michelin Pilots and you have one very superior handling machine that is incomparably better than lesser bikes. A Honda PCX is a different kettle of worms than these inferior bikes, I must admit. However, it is much more expensive than a Nouvo, and although it's even better on the highway it will not give its driver that being a part of the machine feel that a Nouvo will.

Hmmm, are you saying take a new SX and upgrade to these Michein Pilots? I have the stock wheels. What kind of difference in road feel do you get with the upgraded wheels? And more importantly, what does this cost?

If it's more than a few thousand baht I'd probably pass. I don't drive much on highways around CM, with short distances on Canal Rd and rte 11 Superhighway being the only rare exception. Otherwise, puttering around the moat and Huey Kaew most of the time.

Hmmm, are you saying take a new SX and upgrade to these Michein Pilots? I have the stock wheels. What kind of difference in road feel do you get with the upgraded wheels? And more importantly, what does this cost?

If it's more than a few thousand baht I'd probably pass. I don't drive much on highways around CM, with short distances on Canal Rd and rte 11 Superhighway being the only rare exception. Otherwise, puttering around the moat and Huey Kaew most of the time.

My original wheels had wire rims. Then I upgraded to mag wheels which I got from my Yamaha dealer and new tubeless tires. However, there were some stability issues with the new tires and that's when I decided to upgrade to the Michelin Pilots one size larger. That being said, my friend Ross is about to order new mag wheels for his Elegance (it has 34,000 kilometers on it) and he's going to get IRC tires in the original size, 70/80 on the front and 80/90 on the rear. Mine are 80/90 front and 90/90 on the rear. The price he just got was 8000 baht for the new mag wheels plus the IRC tires. He got a bid from Maxxis on Sukamvit Road for 2400 baht for the Michelin Pilots in the larger size like mine, but he neglected to get a bid there on the mag wheels as well. The 8000 baht bid came from the Honda dealership in Naklua. Both of us really like this dealership and have a lot of confidence in the Thai man who I believe is the manager. If it were me, one way or the other I'd insist on getting the larger Michelin tires even if I had to drive down to Maxxis, pick up the tires and have Honda order the rims, and put the new tires on while they were replacing the rims. But that's me. I want the best. After all it's only my life that's riding on the tires.

I look at it this way. 8000 baht is around $260.00. Over the course of two years that's only $130 a year. If one is upgrading only the tires that's 2400 baht which is $80.00 or $40.00 a year. People won't hesitate about spending a lot more than that for a new stereo for his car, but when their lives are on the line, many people will pass on the improved tire setup while forgetting that it's just the rubber on two wheels that attach them to the pavement. This is chump change.

• Like 1

There are several Michelin Pilot motorcycle tires. Which model are you recommending?

1. Michelin Pilot Power 3 - front

2. Michelin Pilot Power Pure SC - front

3. Michelin Pilot Road 2 - front

4. Michelin Pilot Power 2CT - front

5. Michelin Pilot Power - front

6. Michelin Pilot Road 3 - front

7. Michelin Pilot Activ - front

There are several Michelin Pilot motorcycle tires. Which model are you recommending?

1. Michelin Pilot Power 3 - front

2. Michelin Pilot Power Pure SC - front

3. Michelin Pilot Road 2 - front

4. Michelin Pilot Power 2CT - front

5. Michelin Pilot Power - front

6. Michelin Pilot Road 3 - front

7. Michelin Pilot Activ - front

Here you go. hondacg125.awardspace.com/michelin_pilot_sporty.htm

When I ordered new mag wheels and a set of tubeless tires for my Elegance to replace my stock wire rims and tires, I saw the wheels and tires I liked on display at the dealership I had purchased my Elegance. The tires looked good to me so I asked for them to go along with the mag wheels I was getting. But.....that keyword in the review above, "twitchiness" is an appropriate description for the new tires so off they went after only 2000 to 3000 kilometers. They simply felt twitchy at times when I'd hit certain imperfections in the road. So I got the Michelin Pilot Sporty tires at Maxxis on Sukamvit and went up a tire size. To tell you the truth, I would have gladly paid 6000 baht for those two tires so I figured they were a steal at a price point slightly above 2000 baht for both tires. I figure my life is worth a lot. Also I want to experience the maximum enjoyment out of my bike I can so I want everything working at maximum capacity.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I have had it now for about a year and 3 months (give or take). Works like a champ. Starts everytime. Good gas mileage. I now have a wopping 3,800km on it (yeah only 3,800). I have had to put air in the tires 3 times. About once every 4 months. They aren't flat or anything, just a little squishy. I usually only ride by myself but that is more than enough weight on this bike. ;)

Anyway, great bike, good storage, handles well.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Jack.

I rode an Elegance bought new for 14,000 km all over Thailand.

Upgraded to larger Pilot Sporty.

Now upgraded to nice 2nd hand, low milage SX.

Better bike, as per Jack's comments.

To me the scariest thing about riding here (Thai drivers aside) is poor traction in wet conditions.

Michelin's new Pilot Street is designed as a high milage rain tire.

Great reviews online.

I've changed to those on my Raider after a harrowing +400km trip in wet conditions with cheap tires.

~TBH 2100 for 80/90 & 70/90 x 17" set.

We'll see....

Edited by papa al

• 1 month later...

good evening everybody,

today i went to the yamaha dealer shop in Pattaya. on the sukumvit in the other side of tesco lotus.

They only have 2 nuovo sx whithout alloy wheel in store.

They told me the price was 52.900 + tax ecc... and for the alloy wheel version was 54.900 + tax ecc but i have to wait 1 week for them to have it in store.

i than ask a quotation for this one.

https://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/Product/Product.aspx?ProductID=121

whick is the nuovo Sx in a limited edition.

They actually told me the price was 57.500 + 1350 of tax ecc... + 2300 2 years insurance but not for thief + 200 bath (don't know for what)

so the final price is 61.350 but if i want i can buy the insurance somewhere else. So just the bike without insurance will be 59.050 bath

do you think is it a fair price?

apart from the color there are any difference beetwen the nuovo sx and the nuovo sx Gp edition?

thank you very much

Edited by marino28

good evening everybody,

today i went to the yamaha dealer shop in Pattaya. on the sukumvit in the other side of tesco lotus.

They only have 2 nuovo sx whithout alloy wheel in store.

They told me the price was 52.900 + tax ecc... and for the alloy wheel version was 54.900 + tax ecc but i have to wait 1 week for them to have it in store.

i than ask a quotation for this one.

whick is the nuovo Sx in a limited edition.

They actually told me the price was 57.500 + 1350 of tax ecc... + 2300 2 years insurance but not for thief + 200 bath (don't know for what)

so the final price is 61.350 but if i want i can buy the insurance somewhere else. So just the bike without insurance will be 59.050 bath

do you think is it a fair price?

apart from the color there are any difference beetwen the nuovo sx and the nuovo sx Gp edition?

thank you very much

Considering the regular edition with wire wheels is 52900 and I paid at this same dealership 53,000 baht for the non fuel injection, not water cooled 115 c.c MX Nouvo 8 years ago at this same dealership and at that time it was a bit below prices charged by say Mityon, what do you think? As for the special edition blue and white colored SX being slightly higher, but with mag wheels, that one's on you. Is it worth another 2,000 baht or so for the blue paint? Might be. I'd say go with the color you like and be done with it. This is an excellent dealer and it's very hard to beat a Nouvo SX at any price.

From today i am a owner of the Yamaha nuovo Sx Gp Edition

I went to Myon in the jection of pattaya thai, is quite a big store. I went there with my thai girlfriend.

They actually don't have the Gp edition in store, but they have it in another one, so i wait almost 1 hour to have it in front of me.

I actually pay:

57.000 for the nuovo Gp Edition

2500 for 2 year thief insurance

and another 1200 bath for tax, governmant insurance 1 year and the plate.

so the final price was 60.700 and they also give me two helmets and 2 jacket.
Now the bike is already in front of my house.

I am actually very happy, and i think the Nuovo as a great handling.

I think in the future maybe i will change the tyre with better one but not yet. Maybe i wait 1 month or 2.

Regarging the mirrors, there are better one aftermarket that i can buy?

thank you so much. The forum was really helpfull.

• 4 weeks later...

after less than 1 month that i own this scooter, i decide to buy a Forza 300. The Nuovo sx is actually a very good scooter but i want something bigger.

Now the problem is:

i have to sell my nuovo Sx Gp edition with 750 km and less than a month of life. Tomorrow i am going to Myton to see how much they can give me.

But is like a news bike, I don't wont to loose to much. What you think is the better solution.

If anybody want to buy the bike i can sell it for 50.000 bath but not less.. Already have insurance and also 2 year theft insurance.

What you suggest

• Like 1

The best thing has got to be the fuel economy, and the live economy display, which really kinda makes you drive it more economically. On a smooth clear run into Pattaya and back it is possible to get 47/48 klm'sl, on a tank though 43/44 is the best you can reasonably get, without riding it like a granny. The one feature it is really missing is this engine cut off feature, this becomes obvious when you have an average FE of 47 sit at a set of traffic lights for a few mins, pull away and this instantly drops back to 46.

Apart from that it drives nice is very smooth, the headlight is great.

I've had mine about 5 months now (bought in Chiang Mai on Huey Kaew for 60k) and up to nearly 2500km. I'd say I pretty much agree with the fuel economy comment here, and ever since I bought it, remembered this post and was expecting to get 43/44 most of the time, but was surprised when I turned in less. 38 or 39 seems to be the average for me, despite driving moderately and not accelerating like a little racer-boy.

What I have learned is the economy depends half on how you drive and half on where you drive. I live on the outskirts of meuang district, which means there are traffic lights everywhere, and I haven't yet developed the wise habit of cutting off the engine at certain intersections I know will be long waits.

But also, I sometimes go through a whole tank where I don't have any stretch of road where I am driving at a speed of about 60km with no lights. If that's the kind of driving I usually did, I'd probably be above 45km/l regularly. But being fare from lonely roads, isn't very likely.

Other observations . . . I love the high beam like everybody else, but even after 5 months, I don't like the throttle's touchiness. Getting used to it took some time and I still find it annoying. I like the underseat storage and it has a pretty comfortable seat. I don't mind that the engine displacement dropped to 125cc. I don't notice any power drop from the 135cc Elegance. It's not really a motorcycle. It's a scooter. All I want to do is scoot.

Really like it, glad I bought it.

after less than 1 month that i own this scooter, i decide to buy a Forza 300. The Nuovo sx is actually a very good scooter but i want something bigger.

Now the problem is:

i have to sell my nuovo Sx Gp edition with 750 km and less than a month of life. Tomorrow i am going to Myton to see how much they can give me.

But is like a news bike, I don't wont to loose to much. What you think is the better solution.

If anybody want to buy the bike i can sell it for 50.000 bath but not less.. Already have insurance and also 2 year theft insurance.

What you suggest

I'm guessing Mityon will offer~40K.

Let us know.

ThaiVisa classified, BahtSold, and Craigslist /Thailand have free ads.

I bought a perfect 2nd hand SX with 1,750 km. (New 58,000baht + tax, etc, & 15,000 upgrades=73,000 invested by original owner) for B45K. He ate 28,ooo depreciation.

Depreciation is brutal on these bikes.

Now the problem is:

What you suggest

Let us know how much the dealer offers you, somebody will offer you more

so today i went to myton pattaya.

For the Forza 300 they want 162.000

they can take back my bike for 40.000 bath maybe 42.000 if i buy the Forza but not more.

i think 20.000 bath loss in less than a month is a bit to high...

if anybody is interested in buy the bike, please contact me.

• 2 months later...

Another proud owner of the SX GP Edition bought yesterday. I think it looks great in those colours, especially compared to the standard models. I think Yamaha must have bought a job lot of purple paint they are trying to get rid of.

I am also impressed how stable Yamaha prices are. I bought a Nouvo in 2008 (with wired wheels) for 54,000, another Nouvo in 2011 (with mag wheels) for 55,000 and now this one for 56,500. So virtually no inflation in 6 years.

I was tempted by the new PCX but couldn't bring myself to pay 81,000 for an identical bike. Honda just take the piss.

Another proud owner of the SX GP Edition bought yesterday. I think it looks great in those colours, especially compared to the standard models. I think Yamaha must have bought a job lot of purple paint they are trying to get rid of.

I am also impressed how stable Yamaha prices are. I bought a Nouvo in 2008 (with wired wheels) for 54,000, another Nouvo in 2011 (with mag wheels) for 55,000 and now this one for 56,500. So virtually no inflation in 6 years.

I was tempted by the new PCX but couldn't bring myself to pay 81,000 for an identical bike. Honda just take the piss.

I've now had my SX for 7 months and am very happy with it. At about 60k or so, it's worth every baht. But I don't see that Honda is "taking the piss" with their pricing of the PCX and I don't consider it identical to the Nouvo. The PCX is a much better, higher level bike, and I think the 81k is a fair price for it. But for my intended usage, I didn't see much added benefit at the time for my own intended use here in Chiang Mai. In hindsight, I partially disagree with the assessment I made back then. I don't usually travel long distances or spend more than 20 minutes at a time on my SX, but when I do, I find myself wishing I had a PCX. Mostly because the seat is so much better. But I think the added power and wider tires and smoother ride also help make the 20k premium a fair price.

For now, I'll stick with my SX, but in a year or two, depending on where I choose to have an apartment by that time and how close it is to the city, and how my driving habits may have changed, I will consider moving up to the PCX if I don't get a car for the longer distances.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Anybody have a sense of the used/resale value of these bikes? I'm thinking about selling my SX. Mag wheel version (bought for 59.5k iirc) . . . Aged 11.5 months, 5,700 km, great condition, no accidents.

Any idea what this would reasonably be worth if I sold it now?

Anybody have a sense of the used/resale value of these bikes? I'm thinking about selling my SX. Mag wheel version (bought for 59.5k iirc) . . . Aged 11.5 months, 5,700 km, great condition, no accidents.

35-40,000 Baht imo

• Like 1

35-40,000 Baht imo

Thanks for your answer. Given that I paid about 60k and the bike seems to be selling for 61k now, I was hoping 45,000 baht was a reasonable expectation for just 5700km, but if you're right, that's too much to wish for. I'd be taking a big depreciation hit, over 33% in less than one year. Maybe people don't want to buy used unless they can save at least 20k.Thanks for answering.

• Like 1