Ousting Thaksin

Jai Dee

I'm curious to see if any cash from the sales of Shin will ever make it to Thailand :o
To buy votes in the next election? I should hope not!

-----------------

Maestro

No, clearly DL needs money in Thailand, to pay his oustanding-bill from the tax-man (see previous threads). Let alone the bill which he & his family will be due to pay, once Shin Corp's sale goes through, anyone know how many more billions that will be? :D

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pass on this thought for consideration - as outlined to me by a longtime farang resident in LOS. He doesn't claim to have an inside track on knowing everything that's going on, but I think it's an interesting perspective................

If you take it as a given that there is no effective opposition to Thaksin (i.e. "effective" in the sense of having any real prospect of defeating him in the foreseeable future), it actually suits Thaksin to have Sondhi making the noise and fuss that he does. Why? Because it enables Thaksin to claim internally and externally that Thailand is a real functioning democracy and not a one-man show; the more noise Sondhi makes, the better is Thaksin able to maintain the claim and stance. "Dictator? Me? Would a dictator allow such a vocal opposition? This is democracy at work."

This isn't to suggest that Sondhi is part of the game - only that it's possibly quite a shrewd political calculation on Thaksin's part that: a] Sondhi has little chance of beating him and therefore b] Sondhi harmlessly and conveniently fills a political vacuum - leaving insufficient room for a more viable opposition to build.

And it gives Thaksin a fallback position. If the Sondhi opposition "noise" changes from merely very vocal to something more violent (whether accidentally or deliberately) - how easy for Thaksin to then justify being obliged to take forceful measures to "restore order".

Not a conspiracy theory. Not even Machiavellian. Just Practical Politics 101......... and meanwhile Thaksin goes on winning.

I pass on this thought for consideration - as outlined to me by a longtime farang resident in LOS. He doesn't claim to have an inside track on knowing everything that's going on, but I think it's an interesting perspective................

If you take it as a given that there is no effective opposition to Thaksin (i.e. "effective" in the sense of having any real prospect of defeating him in the foreseeable future), it actually suits Thaksin to have Sondhi making the noise and fuss that he does. Why? Because it enables Thaksin to claim internally and externally that Thailand is a real functioning democracy and not a one-man show; the more noise Sondhi makes, the better is Thaksin able to maintain the claim and stance. "Dictator? Me? Would a dictator allow such a vocal opposition? This is democracy at work."

This isn't to suggest that Sondhi is part of the game - only that it's possibly quite a shrewd political calculation on Thaksin's part that: a] Sondhi has little chance of beating him and therefore b] Sondhi harmlessly and conveniently fills a political vacuum - leaving insufficient room for a more viable opposition to build.

And it gives Thaksin a fallback position. If the Sondhi opposition "noise" changes from merely very vocal to something more violent (whether accidentally or deliberately) - how easy for Thaksin to then justify being obliged to take forceful measures to "restore order".

Not a conspiracy theory. Not even Machiavellian. Just Practical Politics 101......... and meanwhile Thaksin goes on winning.

Absolutely.....Sondhi is a bag of hot air...going nowhere....doing nothing....I think that in the eyes of most Thais Sondhi makes Thaksin look good....they see Sondhi making trouble and not accomplishing anything or even having any credible ideas....this does not impress most Thai people.

hi guys...

i doubt very much that Thaksin bought all of his votes....

i also dont know of any other reliable leader in thailand at this moment in time... sure Thaksin has got rich.. or should i say richer whilst he has been in power, but lets not forget the man is in his prime and would had got richer anyway... thailand needs a leader... a capitalist leader, nothing is ever perfect but in my own humble opinion he is by far the best thailand has available right now.

and this other guy sontee should be prosecuted for inciting violence. there is a democratic procedure he can follow in thailand.

i can understand why a lot of expats dont like Thaksin... and those are mostly the types the Thai government ... or any government for that matter dont want on their soil....

so perhaps its time to go home or show some loyalty to the country you are a guest in.... and if you must interfere in thai politics make sure you support only the democratic avenue.

amarka :D

I'm curious to see if any cash from the sales of Shin will ever make it to Thailand :o
To buy votes in the next election? I should hope not!

-----------------

Maestro

hi guys...

i also dont know of any other reliable leader in thailand at this moment in time... sure Thaksin has got rich.. or should i say richer whilst he has been in power, but lets not forget the man is in his prime and would had got richer anyway...

I doubt he would have gone very far had he used the same tactics in most democratic countries of Europe or in North America. He'd be a convict or ex-convict by now...

hi doubt very much that Thaksin bought all of his votes....
I doubt he would have gone very far had he used the same tactics in most democratic countries of Europe or in North America. He'd be a convict or ex-convict by now...

When I read about the money being spent on an election in the USA and other countries, I wonder...

I am making no apologies for Thaksin! (Don’t fancy him that much)

------------------

Maestro

Edited by maestro

hi penzman,

..... are you really able to make that judgment?

i mean this guy is very very rich..... he cant be a complete failure..... are you a business man of at least millionaire status to be able to understand what’s required?

its easy to criticize and pour scorn on a rich mans success....

amarka :o

hi guys...

i also dont know of any other reliable leader in thailand at this moment in time... sure Thaksin has got rich.. or should i say richer whilst he has been in power, but lets not forget the man is in his prime and would had got richer anyway...

hi guys...

Absolutely correct. I have heard from reliable sources that he received at least a hundred votes from his extended family for free.

i also dont know of any other reliable leader in thailand at this moment in time... sure Thaksin has got rich.. or should i say richer whilst he has been in power, but lets not forget the man is in his prime and would had got richer anyway... thailand needs a leader... a capitalist leader, nothing is ever perfect but in my own humble opinion he is by far the best thailand has available right now.

I didn't think Thaksin got richer, only his 20-something kids. They were the ones that got the windfall from governmental policies that benefited their, not his, business.

and this other guy sontee should be prosecuted for inciting violence. there is a democratic procedure he can follow in thailand.

I thought constitutionally-guranteed public protests and petitioning WERE democratic procedures.

i can understand why a lot of expats dont like Thaksin... and those are mostly the types the Thai government ... or any government for that matter dont want on their soil....

You're probably right about that. Can't have individuals from abroad encouraging accountability and questioning the corrupt policies of a host country. Other countries' leaders in the past didn't like them either, such as Marcos, Amin, and Noreiga. Better to have the docile, unknowing, and uncaring types.

so perhaps its time to go home or show some loyalty to the country you are a guest in.... and if you must interfere in thai politics make sure you support only the democratic avenue.

I think the best way to show loyalty to this country is precisely by getting involved in it, not running away. Thailand is a wonderful country that deserves better that what it has currently. I fully and solely support the democratic avenue to effect change. I don't recall anyone advocating un-democratic principals.

amarka

hi guys...

Absolutely correct. I have heard from reliable sources that he received at least a hundred votes from his extended family for free.

I didn't think Thaksin got richer, only his 20-something kids. They were the ones that got the windfall from governmental policies that benefited their, not his, business.

I thought constitutionally-guranteed public protests and petitioning WERE democratic procedures.

You're probably right about that. Can't have individuals from abroad encouraging accountability and questioning the corrupt policies of a host country. Other countries' leaders in the past didn't like them either, such as Marcos, Amin, and Noreiga. Better to have the docile, unknowing, and uncaring types.

I think the best way to show loyalty to this country is precisely by getting involved in it, not running away. Thailand is a wonderful country that deserves better that what it has currently. I fully and solely support the democratic avenue to effect change. I don't recall anyone advocating un-democratic principals.

amarka

Well said Sriracha John

hi penzman,

..... are you really able to make that judgment?

i mean this guy is very very rich..... he cant be a complete failure..... are you a business man of at least millionaire status to be able to understand what’s required?

its easy to criticize and pour scorn on a rich mans success....

hi guys...

You don't need to be a millionaire to know and understand that a man who got rich, and then richer after being elected PM, by constantly bending the rules is not a "successful" businessman in my book, that makes him a lousy crook. Being very very rich as you mentioned only makes him very very crooked.

Media mogul vows ‘it will be my first and last action. I will give my life to the struggle. It will dwarf October 14, 1973’. Media mogul Sondhi Limthongkul yesterday said he was willing to sacrifice his life to lead a “people’s power” uprising to oust Thaksin on February 4 at Sanam Luang.

He eventually found out that his action would go nowhere... So a bit of theatrical grandiloquence, to prepare the end of his show.

thailand needs a leader... a capitalist leader, nothing is ever perfect but in my own humble opinion he is by far the best thailand has available right now.

Since I don't agree Sondhi wants to be the next PM, this is misplaced

Is that a threat, or merely an insult ? Who are you to judge ?

Blind loyalty would be no loyalty at all. I don't accept your view that having an opinion equates with interfering in Thai politics. Democracy encourages diversity of view and freedom of expression.

It is an old trick, to falsely claim that someone with another point-of-view is planning something outrageous, and then berate them for it. Spin-doctors are a curse of democracy in many countries other than Thailand.

Edited by Ricardo

ANTI-GOVT CAMPAIGN: Thirayuth: Sondhi a threat to democracy

Says drive to ‘return mandate to King’ would disrupt country’s political development. Noted social critic Thirayuth Boonmi yesterday warned against the campaign by media tycoon Sondhi Limthongkul to oust Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, saying it would disrupt the nation’s long process of democratic development. Thirayuth, a Thammasat University lecturer, was commenting on Sondhi’s so-called campaign to “return the mandate to His Majesty the King”, interpreted by observers as a move to try to remove Thaksin from office.

Sondhi announced on Friday he would lead a rally at Sanam Luang on February 4, which he hoped would be the biggest in Thailand’s history, to submit a petition to His Majesty the King stating that the Thai people wanted to return to him the mandate to govern.

“I disagree with the return of the mandate because our society has developed over a long period and the development of democracy is more than 70 per cent complete. So, the appointment or removal of a leader should be based on the democratic system,” Thirayuth said.

He warned Sondhi’s campaign would be a bother to His Majesty.

Commenting on the planned rally, Army commander-in-chief General Sondhi Boonyarataklin said yesterday he did not believe the February 4 demonstration would turn violent.

“Personally, I don’t believe the rally will escalate into violence, as we all care for the country and share the same centre of respect,” the Army chief said, apparently referring to His Majesty.

“We need to love one another and be united for the sake of the Thai people,” he said.

It would be the responsibility of police to keep law and order during the rally and the military would step in only if the police could not handle the situation, the Army chief said.

Meanwhile, Chat Thai Party deputy leader Nikorn Jamnong said he hoped the rally would be free of violence.

“I believe there is always a way to reach a compromise. Each side should take one step back to try to resolve the problem,” Nikorn said.

Political reform could only be reached through constitutional amendments, he said. For this reason, the Chat Thai Party would propose an amendment that would allow the public to initiate their own charter amendments, he said.

“The opposition has reached an agreement that 250,000 people should be allowed to propose an amendment to the Constitution,” Nikorn said.

The proposed amendment to Article 313 to permit the people to initiate charter change would be submitted to the House as soon as Parliament reconvenes in March, he said.

Democrat Party spokesman Ong-art Klampaiboon said the party could not prevent its members from joining the February 4 rally as long as they did not commit any wrongdoing.

But he denied the Democrats would take part in organising the rally, as alleged by the Thai Rak Thai Party.

Government Spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee yesterday warned Sondhi against marching from Sanam Luang to the Royal Plaza as he had announced.

Doing so could be illegal as it would disrupt traffic and affect many people, Surapong said.

Sondhi should send representatives to submit a petition to Privy Council chairman Prem Tinsulanonda instead of marching all the demonstrators from Sanam Luang to the Royal Plaza, he said.

Source: The Nation - January 23, 2006

20,000 POLICEMEN IN FULL SWING TO HANDLE GATHERING OF SONTHI SUPPORTERS ON FEBRUARY 4TH

The Metropolitan Police is preparing 20,000 policemen to regulate the upcoming gathering of people expected to attend the Thailand Weekly show on February 4th.

Thailand Weekly show host Sonthi Limthongkul (สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล) had promised a demonstration on Friday February 4th, during which he would lead the demonstrators to the home of the privy council chairman through whom he would present a petition to His Majesty the King, calling for the ouster of the prime minister.

Metropolitan Police Commander Wiroet Chanthararansee (วิโรจน์ จันทรรังษี) said that in preparations for the mass gathering at Sanam Luang on that date, 20,000 policemen will be deployed to prevent any incidents. In the meantime Army Chief Sonthi Bunyaratkalin (สนธิ บุญรัตกลิน) has stated that security provision would be the responsibility of the police. Only when the police was not able to handle the matter would the task fall on soldiers. However personally he does not believe the demonstration on February 4th would escalate into violence.

Source: Thaisnews.com ประจำวันจันทร์ที่ 23 มกราคม 2549

20,000 POLICEMEN IN FULL SWING TO HANDLE GATHERING OF SONTHI SUPPORTERS ON FEBRUARY 4TH

Army Chief Sonthi Bunyaratkalin (สนธิ บุญรัตกลิน) has stated that security provision would be the responsibility of the police. Only when the police was not able to handle the matter would the task fall on soldiers. However personally he does not believe the demonstration on February 4th would escalate into violence.

So, the Army is prepared "just in case" 20,000 policemen can't handle the situation?....

Hmm... that doesn't sound good. :o

As for escalating into violence, it seems like the Anti-Sonthi supporters are the ones that need to be controlled and watched:

post-9005-1137994346_thumb.jpg

One of more than 2,000 agitators was caught by police after he allegedly threw firecrackers at audience members during the ‘Thailand this Week’ talk show.

At 7.30pm, three simultaneous and loud explosions went off outside the hall as Sondhi called on the crowd to chant anti-Thaksin slogans. Sondhi called for calm, and minutes later, a middle-aged man was arrested by police. The suspect reportedly lit large firecrackers and threw them near the area before trying to flee.
Edited by sriracha john

Let's not forget that Sondi is the media genius that played the IMF, Anti-Foreigner, National Pride card to get Thaskin elected. He is dangerous and I think that even a snake like Thaksin saw this early and didn't want to be associated with him in any way.

The guy need to be put down. He may have a few valid points against our "beloved" PM but two wrongs doesn't make one right.

The last thing we need here is a coup with street violence.

Bad for business.

DPM CHITCHAI BELIEVES THAT VIOLENCE WILL NOT OCCUR DURING MR. SONTHI'S PROTEST

Deputy Prime Minister and Justice Minister, Pol. Gen. CHITCHAI WANNASATHIT (ชิดชัย วรรณสถิตย์), believed that violence will not take place during the gathering of people who support media tycoon SONTHI LIMTHONGKUL (สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล). He deemed that Thai people do not want to set trouble in their country. They will gather on February 4th at SANAM LUANG (สนามหลวง).

As for Mr. SONTHI’s gathering supporters, Pol. Gen. CHITCHAI viewed that such action can be made due to democratic regime. However, the action should be abided by the laws. Meanwhile, he expressed his believed that the people will not cause any difficulty to the kingdom. Nevertheless, he has warned officials to carefully consider the situation because the third person might instigate the conflicts between officials and Mr. SONTHI’s supporters.

He also referred to the people’s raid the Government House on January 13th that he has reiterated to the authorities to implement any action in accordance with the testimonies and evidences.

Source: Thaisnews.com ประจำวันจันทร์ที่ 23 มกราคม 2549

Hello John,

some interesting points...

my comments follow yours...

hi guys...

would you not vote for your brother/father ?

so when you die... will you just leave your money in the bank.. or let your kids have it ?

i said.... and this other guy sontee should be prosecuted for inciting violence

are you now comparing Thaksin to Marcos? Amin and the likes.. come on be serious..!

no one sadi you should run away. just use some logic. can you provide a better alternative to Thaksin? you may not advocate violence.. but this guy sontee seems to. so if you care for Thailand like you indicate you do, then you should only encourage the diplomatic avenue. i am actually of the opinion the thais dont need us ex pats to get involved.

amarka :D

amarka

Sondhi should send representatives to submit a petition to Privy Council chairman Prem Tinsulanonda instead of marching all the demonstrators from Sanam Luang to the Royal Plaza, he said.
I don’t know the distance between the two locations, but I am inclined to agree.

At any rate, whatever happens I shan’t be inconvenienced by the traffic jam.

--------------

Maestro

Hello John,

Hi

some interesting points...

Thank you

my comments follow yours...

I appreciate that. Mine follow yours. :o

amarka

hi guys...

so when you die... will you just leave your money in the bank.. or let your kids have it ?

His kids already have the money, right? He divested all his stock assests in 1994 when he entered politics, so there is no need to leave it to them.

i said.... and this other guy sontee should be prosecuted for inciting violence

When did he incite violence? What did he say?

are you now comparing Thaksin to Marcos? Amin and the likes.. come on be serious..!

Marcos declared martial law in the Philippines. Thaksin has declared martial law in Thailand. Amin attacked his detractors, Thaksin has attacked his detractors. Similar, yes?

no one sadi you should run away. just use some logic. can you provide a better alternative to Thaksin? you may not advocate violence.. but this guy sontee seems to. so if you care for Thailand like you indicate you do, then you should only encourage the diplomatic avenue. i am actually of the opinion the thais dont need us ex pats to get involved.

Sonthi "seems" to advocate violence? Where? When?

I DO encourage democratic means.

amarka

Edited by sriracha john

PM: THE RALLY ON FEB 4 WILL NOT ESCALATE INTO A BIG PROBLEM IF THE RULE OF LAW IS OBSERVED.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra expressed his belief that the gathering at Sanamluang (สนามหลวง) on February 4th will not escalate into a big problem, if everyone follows the rule of law.

Prime Minister Thaksin commented on the rally planned by media tycoon Sonthi Limthongkul (สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล) and supporters that the gathering will coincide with the event at Sanamluang where the Sothorn (โสธร) Buddha image is taken from Chachoensao (ฉะเชิงเทรา) Province for the people to pay respect. However, he said that there should not be a problem. He said that the people must follow the rule of law, while the police will be on their normal duty. He stressed that the situation there will not escalate if the law is observed.

As for fears that there will be rallies on January 26 when the government plans a briefing for foreign ambassadors on mega-projects, Prime Minister Thaksin said that there should not be problems, as most parties understand that Thailand is a democratic country.

However, he said that some individuals do not respect the rules and want public attention.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 January 2006

PM: THE RALLY ON FEB 4 WILL NOT ESCALATE INTO A BIG PROBLEM IF THE RULE OF LAW IS OBSERVED.

However, he said that some individuals do not respect the rules and want public attention.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 January 2006

...just remember to tell your TRT supporters and paid trouble makers not to rally where Sondhi's people happen to be and there won't be any problems. :o

I'm afraid Amarka is right - there's no one better suited than Taksin to be the PM. There aren't any honest, capable people left ready to serve the country with integrity - they just don't filter through the system where only greedy ass-kissers and opportunists survive. Some people do, of course, progress on merit, but not very far - the greedy ones always beat them to the top.

Abhisit won't survive a year in the office - they'll eat him alive after they warm up appetites on Apirak as a snack first.

Chuan personally had a good image but not enough supporters to fill the cabinet posts.

Prem, Anand - they are too old to return to active politics.

50 OFFICIALS ARE KEEPING ROUND-THE-CLOCK WATCH AT BKK CITY HALL TO PREVENT SABOTAGE

As many as 50 officials and firefighters have been deployed around Bangkok City Hall for 24-hours security provision, in order to prevent any sabotage of important documents that may contain details of the corruption in the 16 construction projects under the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration.

An additional 50 officials are now situated within and around the Bangkok City Hall while a firetruck is now stationed within the premise. The initiative arose from fears of sabotage on documents related to the construction projects. So far no incidents have occured.

This morning, Police General Prathin Santipraphob (ประทิน สันติประภพ), who is heading the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's investigative committee, called in a further 3 officials from the BMA for an additional interrogation on the 16 projects.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันอังคารที่ 24 มกราคม 2549

Amarka and Plus, the two most sensible posts i've read all year.

I've rarely seen a government as active as this one in trying to make Thailand better. Not all of their policies are sound (in fact many are not fully thought through), but most of them are consistent with a desire to move the country forward. To me, any government that tries this hard deserves credit.

People on this board find every excuse to ridicule and put them down and accuse them of corruption. People don't see that this government has played a good hand in economic management, paying down the IMF loans 2 years ahead of schedule, which led to sovereign rating upgrades, allowing the finance sector to free up liquidity to reinvest, proactively clamping down on consumer credit growth, promoting growth of FDIs in key industries such as Autos and electronics, actively managing the property growth cycle, sustaining GDP growth despite the many hard hits last year, record employment rates presently, raising minimum wage levels, making inroads with China, championing regional trade and Asean growth, corporatisation of large and inefficient state agencies, finally getting the airport built, expanding urban infrastructure while managing public debt to below 2% of GDP, etc etc.

Most people here are just parroting what they hear and read in the media, and the Thai media is one of the most childish and unprofessional i have ever come across. They talk about corruption and oppression and abuse of power because scandal sells papers, not because they really have the public interests at heart.

Thaksin may be filthy rich, he may be politically shrewd, he may be autocratic, a few of his cronies may even be on the take, but i personally do not believe him to be an evil person. I'm sure that he didn't acquire his wealth by being a thug, in his business environment, he would have had to please many more people for each toe he stepped on in order to get to where he did. The truth is the Thai people want a strong leader, i would even say that due to their very forgiving/tolerant culture, they need a strong leader. But the Thai people value their freedom even more, and the threat of losing it is what the media is preying on.

The media has cooked up such a fervour of distrust and hatred that i see people ridiculing him for innocent things such as encouraging children to read. And whats wrong with announcing that you want everything to be a hub? A statement of intent is a powerful message even if it does nothing more than motivate people into thinking that they can be bigger and better than before. All i seem to hear from the mob here is cynicism and negativity. I'm glad there are still a few lonely voices here who are able to see things with reason and objectivity.