Road Accident Victims To Get Hospital Treatment Regardless Of Insurance: Thailand

webfact

Road accident victims to get hospital treatment regardless of insurance

WICHIT CHAITRONG

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Victims of car accidents will be treated by hospitals automatically whether they have insurance or not, the Finance Ministry said yesterday.

Finance Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong said the Office of the Insurance Commission (OIC) and insurance firms had launched E-Claim, an emergency payment plan to cover medical bills of the victims of road accidents regardless of their insurance coverage.

The Road Accident Victims Protection Co will settle the medical bills, said Pravej Ongartsittigul, secretary-general of the OIC. Then later the insurance company involved will collect medical expenses from those who violated traffic laws.

The service is a result of collaboration among the OIC, the Insurance Association and the Road Accident Victims Protection Co.

Rangsan Srivorasat, director-general of the Comptroller-General's Department, said the new service would ensure that insurance companies pay claims quickly, which sometimes has not been the case.

In a related development, Pravej said the OIC expected large numbers of households to buy insurance from the state-owned natural-catastrophe fund as many will have to renew their policies as they expire in the next few months. Private firms still demand high premiums from customers who live in high-risk areas, he said.

As a result, the office needs to seek reinsurance from international insurance houses.

The state insurance fund collects premiums of only 0.5 per cent of insured value from households, 1 per cent from small or medium-sized enterprises, and 1.25 per cent from large companies.

Pravej said about 50 per cent of households with private insurance policies would come to the state fund, while 10 per cent of companies might do so.

Currently, the total insured amount is Bt600 billion, of which households represent a small fraction, he said.

Expecting new customers, the OIC will start conducting a roadshow on the disaster-insurance fund and will buy reinsurance from international firms to diversify its risk, he said.

Reinsurers may be cautious, however, as many countries have experienced natural disasters. For example, China has also bought reinsurance from international insurers, which may leave them little room to offer coverage to other government schemes, Pravej said.

However, he said he was confident that the Bt50-billion government fund supporting the scheme would exceed future claims.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-11

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any road accident victim, or just Thai?

If they adopt the same as in Australia and other countries where you pay extra on your registration for 3rd party insurance then it would cover all persons injured or killed including pedestrians and foreigners. If you are unlicenced or your vehicle is unregistered then you will still be treated in the 1st instance but will receive a bill and possible charges.

• Like 1

I've always paid 3rd party insurance on my motorcycle registration in Thailand, it's only a few hundred baht. It's separate from the registration. I can't remember what it covers now. Mind you I could assume that sometimes the law is probably enforced and other times not.

I've always paid 3rd party insurance on my motorcycle registration in Thailand, it's only a few hundred baht. It's separate from the registration. I can't remember what it covers now. Mind you I could assume that sometimes the law is probably enforced and other times not.

TPPI = 3rd Party (NOT you or your passenger) Personal Injury. the reason that it is cheap is that serious injury caused to a 3rd party from a motorcycle is quite rare, and the max payout is quite small.

TPPI = 3rd Party (NOT you or your passenger) Personal Injury. the reason that it is cheap is that serious injury caused to a 3rd party from a motorcycle is quite rare, and the max payout is quite small.

Rubish. Go and check with the provider. In Thailand it is NOT THird party. It covers all people injured related to a licenced vehicle

I had a black out on my scooter and was unconcious taken with an ambulance to the general hospital in Lampang. I had to stay there for 7 days.

I was very satisfied with the treadment there.

Then the bill came about 32.000 bath,but I had to pay notting I just signed the bill. They said you not have to pay because your adress is in our

district, because my adress is in the yellow Tabien Ban. My wife askt them if a get ill I have to pay or not, and they said NO because he lives in our

district. Well this was in Lampang I do not know about other places...............

Thats excellent - and even if one had to pay a bill of 32,000 baht for 7 days in hospital, thats peanuts in comparison to what you would pay even for basic medical care overseas.

Good to know.

Yes, I must get my yellow Tabian Bahn sorted out next too... thanks for the reminder. :)

...whilst the compulsory insurance covers 50.000 THB for medical expenses and your heirs will receive 100.000 THB in case of your death.

It does pay you.. Paid 15k of an op I had done on an accident I had with no other party involved.

I didnt know either, the private hospital told my missus to go report it to the police and bring the paperwork and they did it all. Just took 15k off the top.

Thats excellent - and even if one had to pay a bill of 32,000 baht for 7 days in hospital, thats peanuts in comparison to what you would pay even for basic medical care overseas.

Yes, but "basic medical care" is all you're gonna get, and I do mean basic.

• Like 1

If they adopt the same as in Australia and other countries where you pay extra on your registration for 3rd party insurance then it would cover all persons injured or killed including pedestrians and foreigners. If you are unlicenced or your vehicle is unregistered then you will still be treated in the 1st instance but will receive a bill and possible charges.

As far as I know, in Britain anybody who turns up in a hospital Casualty department needing emergency treatment is treated free of charge regardless of nationality or insurance status. There are presumably other countries which do the same, but one can say for sure that the USA -- "leader of the free world" -- is not one of them.

• Like 1

As far as I know, in Britain anybody who turns up in a hospital Casualty department needing emergency treatment is treated free of charge regardless of nationality or insurance status. There are presumably other countries which do the same, but one can say for sure that the USA -- "leader of the free world" -- is not one of them.

And a lot of Americans think the NHS is no good at least that is what they read in the American press.

What has any of that got to do with Thailand.

Reading through the world history reports on a every day reality in Thailand it would appear they do cover a farong.One suggested they had a limit.

A simple yes they do cover farongs or no they do not cover farongs would have been appreciated.

Here's a thought. Our 12 year old niece was killed 3 months ago in a hit-and-run accident. She was already dead before her body hit the road so severe was the impact to the back of her head caused by the near-side door mirror. Her body still had to be taken to the hospital presumably for a doctor to pronounce her dead. I don't know if this incurred any costs ( but can find out of course ). I wonder how the Road Accidents Victims Protection Co will recover any costs from those who violated the traffic laws in our kind of incident ? Will they set up a fund similar to that which we have in the UK., or will they pass on the medical costs to the family of the victim ? Keow, R.I.P.

Edited by finnomick1

As a farang you are always the cause of the accident, as if you had not come to Thailand, the accident would not have happened. Ergo you will recieve treatment and then the insurrance company will claim the mony from you as per: "Then later the insurance company involved will collect medical expenses from those who violated traffic laws."

Personally I buy the TOP covers as much as possible for all of my vehicles.

Then again I do have quite a few new Vehicles.

Some of considerable value.

When it comes to insuring others if I am in the wrong, I personally feel that it is my responsibility as a good citizen to have high coverage.

I had a black out on my scooter and was unconcious taken with an ambulance to the general hospital in Lampang. I had to stay there for 7 days.

Then the bill came about 32.000 bath,but I had to pay notting I just signed the bill. They said you not have to pay because your adress is in our

district, because my adress is in the yellow Tabien Ban. My wife askt them if a get ill I have to pay or not, and they said NO because he lives in our

district. Well this was in Lampang I do not know about other places...............

Good to know.

Yes, I must get my yellow Tabian Bahn sorted out next too... thanks for the reminder. smile.png

Hmmmm...

All of out Tambien Bans are blue.

What has any of that got to do with Thailand.

Reading through the world history reports on a every day reality in Thailand it would appear they do cover a farong.One suggested they had a limit.

A simple yes they do cover farongs or no they do not cover farongs would have been appreciated.

My coverage covers me and I am a farang.

As a farang you are always the cause of the accident, as if you had not come to Thailand, the accident would not have happened. Ergo you will recieve treatment and then the insurrance company will claim the mony from you as per: "Then later the insurance company involved will collect medical expenses from those who violated traffic laws."

B.S.

The one who was wrong was wrong.

Of course I know all of the cops bosses so there is no way that they could put me in the wrong if I was not.

Quite please. Please don't send alerts about Farang not pay.

Yes, but "basic medical care" is all you're gonna get, and I do mean basic.

What do you want? Physiotherapy with a happy ending? :rolleyes:

It's off topic, but that is not true. Hospitals which receive federal funds, and that includes most hospitals, are required to treat people. They may get billed for it, but they will receive treatment.

B.S.

The one who was wrong was wrong.

Of course I know all of the cops bosses so there is no way that they could put me in the wrong if I was not.

BS yourself, owner, of course, of many new vehicles.

First time I used the term on TV, some people seem to find it an intelligent and use it all the time.

Edited by cooked
  • Like 1

The fact that the insurance companies will be paying out for this sort of thing seems to suggest to my mind that they will be able to exert pressure to ensure that there are less accidents?

I can think of a few road safety campaigns on TV (in Farang-land) and elsewhere that were paid for by insurance companies.