Bangkok Suffers Another Road Crater

webfact

Bangkok suffers another road crater

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Not long after a road in north Bangkok collapsed last month, a second incident occurred yesterday in Sukhumvit Soi 31 when work on water mains went wrong, creating a metre-deep crater overnight and causing heavy traffic congestion when an empty school van plunged into the crater yesterday morning.

Deputy Bangkok governor Theerachon Manomaiphiboon blamed this on the contractor hired for the job by the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA), and set city workers to conduct repairs and fill the hole.

He said at an earlier MWA job, workers did not pump out the water flooding the area before filling it, which later widened a hole underground and weakened the foundation, causing the road to collapse.

The Watthana district office is looking to see if jobs done by the contractor in question, as well as other MWA tasks, were being done after prior approval.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-11

This is the result of awarding subcontracting work on a''commission'' basis as opposed to awarding work on a proven responsible completed task scenario.

• Like 2

Sukhumvit Soi 31

Hope Dear Leader is safe. sad.png

Which "Dear Leader"?

Sent from my HTC phone.

The location of this sink-hole is very close to the Prime Minister's house who's term ended when the current prime minister took over.

The way they award contracts in Thailand is very straight forward

Contracts are awarded on two points

1- Regardless of qualification, lowest bidder wins

2- More kickbacks - more chance of contracts

LuckyLew, I completly disagree, price doesn't matter, it is public money, the size of the kick back to the public servants deciding the job is what wins contracts.

Edited by metisdead
: Instead of using different colored fonts, learn to use the Quote function in the tool bar.
  • Like 1

Sukhumvit Soi 31

Hope Dear Leader is safe. sad.png

as 'Dear Leader' (i mean the REAL one) has not been in thailand for a while now, i guess he''l be safe... smile.pngbiggrin.pngcoffee1.gif

Enough!!! For heavens sakes, its about a SINKHOLE.

Stay on topic please. ENOUGH.

• Like 1

A Transportation Hubclap2.gifgiggle.gif

Are these the same bactch of contractors that layed the runways.

Are any of these peope real civil engineers

It has been this way for years, why should we be so suprised????? History never lies, those in charge do......... whistling.gifthumbsup.gif

No problem......next year you will see Vettel ( or or or......... who are the other ones?) disappear in a huge hole during the F1

Maybe F1 should be staged in different areas each year. That way the roads might get fixed properly. It may be me but they seem to be getting worse over the years I've been visiting.