Lawrence of Arabia

Blazing Saddles

thus from the sublime to the ridiculous, but both excellent

Lawrence ae Arabia

Ice-cold in Alex

It's like bein' back at Tannadice, so itis

I like Blazing Saddles.

SC

bloody hell Ice Cold in Alex....saw that when I was kid...love to find a copy sometime. My original DVDs of Laurence is buggered ..looks like ants ate or peed on it?

Anyone remember Elephant Walk or Dam Busters, Wild Bunch?.. now them is oldies.

Have a copy of Where Eagles Dare great movies.....

I disagree about Deep Cover with Fishburne. The movie is excellent up until Felix Barbosa gets killed in the police pursuit...After that, the movie just fizzles out and comes to a complete halt.

It is strange but when i first saw the movie there was quite a spray given to the CIA and the government's policy with regard to Colombia and the drug trade, A particular president was named but when i bought the DVD this segment somehow had dissappeared. It somehow summed up the whole hipocracy with both the international and domestic drug industry and the complicity of governments ..

I

Wake in Fright, Metropolis, Rear Window, Cinema Paridisio, Sophie's Choice, The Green Line, Pulp Fiction, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Alien (Original), To Kill a Mockingbird, Apocalypse Now, Samson & Delilah (2009) directed by Warwick Thornton.

I know we are enthralled with how technology has moved on but for me some old black and white stuff is really excellent. African Queen, Ice Cold in Alex, the list goes on. thumbsup.gif

Have to agree - very few movies can match the build up of suspense in "The 39 Steps" despite all manner of tech wizardry...

Hitchcock was a great director. he knew how to maintain suspense and seemed also to adapt books well to the screen. Some personal faves of mine he directed are;

Dial M for Murder

The Birds (Daphne Du Maurier novel)

To Catch a Thief (David Dodge novel)

North by Northwest

Strangers on a Train (Patricia Highsmith novel, author who also did Ripley)

Vertigo (based on a French novel I believe)

I think "Vertigo" recently displaced "Citizen Kane" as the "best film" by consensus.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/read-new-all-time-top-10s-from-martin-scorsese-woody-allen-francis-ford-coppola-quentin-tarantino-more-20120803

Slap-dash ten plus one:

The Wages of Fear

The River

The Seven Samurai

Pather Panchali

A Canterbury Tale

Duay Klao

Kung <deleted> Hustle

Hero

Le Samourai

City of God

Scarface