Mitt Romney Chooses Paul Ryan As Election Running Mate

george

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

President Clinton also had some very nice things to say about Paul Ryan that were captured on video. wink.png

President Clinton also had some very nice things to say about Paul Ryan that were captured on video. wink.png

Oddly enough, Newt Gingrich had this to say about Mr. Ryan's proposals aback in May;

“I am against Obamacare imposing radical change, and I would be against a conservative imposing radical change.I don’t think right-wing social engineering is any more desirable than left-wing social engineering,”

Oooopsie.

Glenn Beck and Ryan Love -in.

Paul Ryan to Glenn Beck:

“What I’ve been trying to do is indict the entire vision of progressivism because I see progressivism as the source, the intellectual source for the big government problems that are plaguing us today. And so to me it’s really important to flush progressives out into the field of open debate—so people can actually see what this ideology means and where it’s going to lead us and how it attacks the American idea.”

“I love you!” gushed Beck.

Beck referred to progressivism as “a cancer.”

“Exactly,” replied Ryan. “Look, I come from—I’m calling you from Janesville, Wisconsin where I’m born and raised, where we raise our family. (It’s) 35 miles from Madison. I grew up hearing about this stuff. This stuff came from these German intellectuals to Madison‑University of Wisconsin and sort of out there from the beginning of the last century. So this is something we are familiar with where I come from. It never sat right with me. And as I grew up, I learned more about the founders and reading the Austrians and others that this is really a cancer because it basically takes the notion that our rights come from God and nature and turns it on its head and says, no, no, no, no, no, they come from government"

http://www.thenation...-progressivism#

Yes Ryan "progessives" want "progession" , But To use a famous quote you and your like will have us "marching back wards through time to when bigots burned books and religious ideology ruled" But Hey all our "rights come from God" so we just rely on those who hijacked religion to protect us.

Edited by KKvampire

Yes the ideal of these radical right wingers like Ryan is NO government. The ideal of the democratic party liberal base is GOOD government, as big as it needs to be. Of course, there can't be no government and government can't always be good and it does get bloated, but that is the core of the values clash.

Yes Ryan "progessives" want "progession" , But To use a famous quote you and your like will have us "marching back wards through time to when bigots burned books and religious ideology ruled" But Hey all our "rights come from God" so we just rely on those who hijacked religion to protect us.

You make me think of this recent quote from Romney...

"Mr. President, take your campaign of division and anger and hate back to Chicago,"..."This is an election in which we should be talking about the path ahead, but you don't hear any answers coming from President Obama’s re-election campaign. That’s because he's intellectually exhausted, out of ideas, and out of energy. And so his campaign has resorted to diversions and distractions, to demagoguing and defaming others. This is an old game in politics; what’s different this year is that the president is taking things to a new low."

• Like 1

I was trying to post the Erskine Bowles endorsement of Ryan before Obama got it taken down.

It's out on Yahoo's news site and many other places. Obama's hatchet-men are not going to be able to hide it or make it dissappear.

It is very crushing to Obama's smear-team to have the former Clinton White House chief of staff and also the Democratic co-chair of President Obama's National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform give such high praise to Paul Ryan as a person and also such praise for Ryan's budget plan.

http://news.yahoo.co...-003642883.html

Bowles isn't backpedaling, good for him...

Erskine Bowles is not backing away from his previous praise of Rep. Paul Ryan now that the Wisconsin congressman is on the Republican presidential ticket.

“I like him,” Bowles, the former chief of staff to President Bill Clinton and co-chairperson of the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform, told The Daily Caller in a phone interview.

“I think he’s smart. I think he’s intellectually curious. I think he is honest, straightforward and sincere. And I think he does have a serious budget out there — it doesn’t mean I agree with it by any stretch of the imagination. But I’m not going to act like I don’t like him or that I don’t have some real respect for him.”

Read more:
Edited by koheesti

Yes the ideal of these radical right wingers like Ryan is NO government. The ideal of the democratic party liberal base is GOOD government, as big as it needs to be. Of course, there can't be no government and government can't always be good and it does get bloated, but that is the core of the values clash.

and government can't always be good and it does get bloated,

" Government always finds a need for whatever money it gets. "

Ronald Reagan

Liking him personally isn't the same thing as agreeing with his radical policies. Duh!

I didn't expect to see you around here again. Anyway, Bowles also said this if you could bring yourself to watch the video above...

"And the budget that he [Ryan] came forward with is just like Paul Ryan. It is a sensible, straightforward, honest, serious budget and it cut the budget deficit just like we did, by $4 trillion. … The president as you remember, came out with a budget and I don’t think anybody took that budget very seriously. The Senate voted against it 97 to nothing.""

• Like 1

You make me think of this recent quote from Romney...

"Mr. President, take your campaign of division and anger and hate back to Chicago,"..."This is an election in which we should be talking about the path ahead, but you don't hear any answers coming from President Obama’s re-election campaign. That’s because he's intellectually exhausted, out of ideas, and out of energy. And so his campaign has resorted to diversions and distractions, to demagoguing and defaming others. This is an old game in politics; what’s different this year is that the president is taking things to a new low."

A regressive politician who wants to bring his ideology and his interpretation of his religion to the very top of government , Dangerous

Edited by KKvampire

The Obama campaign and all his thousands of surrogates have been making the claim that Ryan's budget "will destroy Medicare as we know it".

My question is...What's wrong with that?

Medicare "as we know it" is near bankruptcy and is yet another failing government program. Ryan's plan won't affect anybody 55 years old or older so no benefits will be cut and, if the program is refurbished and put on a sound fiscal footing, it just might accidentally turn into something productive for future generations.

Medicare "as we know it" is a failure. Let's change it now before it is too late.

PS: One thing we could do to help save Medicare virtually overnight is to send all the illegal immigrants back to their home countries and get them removed from the emergency rooms and hospitals. Anybody see an up-side to this suggestion?

Edited by chuckd
  • Like 1

PS: One thing we could do to help save Medicare virtually overnight is to send all the illegal immigrants back to their home countries and get them removed from the emergency rooms and hospitals. Anybody see an up-side to this suggestion?

Surely that would disenfranchise a lot of voters? rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

The Obama administration has done nothing to warrant a second term. If Ryan and Romney can force Americans to pay attention to the need for real change, instead of the unaffordable snake oil President Barack Obama has been selling, they will win handily and take back the Senate for Republicans.

Oddly enough, my second biggest fear after Obama winning in November is that the Republicans will win the White House and super majorities in both houses of Congress. One party control is not a good thing whatever the party.

To be FRANK, Paul Ryan may in fact not be the WURST qualified candidate to follow in Mitt's footsteps. He once piloted a giant wiener in his formative years.

You're going to be hearing a lot about Wisconsin Representative Paul Ryan when he's picked as Mitt Romney's Vice Presidential candidate later this morning. Here's something they may not tell you: he used to drive the Wienermobile and sell meat products for Oscar Mayer in the upper-Midwest.

At some point we'll have to get into a discussion of Janesville, where's he's from, and the now-defunct GM plant that's there. We'll have to talk about his views on diesel, CAFE standards, the bailout, and all that nonsense.

But, so far as we can tell, the most important fact you need to know about the man who could be one heartbeat away from the presidency is that he used to deliver hot dogs. In a truck. Shaped like a giant hot dog.

http://jalopnik.com/...he-wienermobile

xlarge.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

The Obama campaign and all his thousands of surrogates have been making the claim that Ryan's budget "will destroy Medicare as we know it".

My question is...What's wrong with that?

Medicare "as we know it" is near bankruptcy and is yet another failing government program. Ryan's plan won't affect anybody 55 years old or older so no benefits will be cut and, if the program is refurbished and put on a sound fiscal footing, it just might accidentally turn into something productive for future generations.

Medicare "as we know it" is a failure. Let's change it now before it is too late.

The downsiside is that the US economy would be hurt badly. Food would rot in farmers fields and all those menial lowpaying jobs would go unfilled. That is the unfortunate reality. With food prices set to increase significantly due to the persistent drought, if the agriculture sector was forced to pay fair wages for a large part of its workforce, the costs would be passed on to the American consumers who would be up in arms about the increases.

Yeah, I get your point.

Ryan was working making his own money while Obama was hiding in the mountains of Hawaii smoking marijuana with the Choom Gang.

Ryan spent most of his working life in politics. His money comes in large part from his inheritance. I don't have a problem with that. He was fortunate, but don't make it out as if Mr. Ryan started out from simple beginnings and built his fortune. He did not.

• Like 1

Paul Ryan has declared a brutal war on the poor for the benefit of the already rich. Are American voters so self destructive as to elect someone like that? Well, they have before.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/katrina-vanden-heuvel-paul-ryan-cruel-not-courageous/2012/08/14/a2dbd388-e56b-11e1-936a-b801f1abab19_story.html

Therein lies the rub. Ryan’s budget isn’t courageous — it’s just cruel. Three-fifths of the cuts he wants would hit those with low incomes, while those who have the most would continue getting more. It’s no wonder the former altar boy has had his knuckles rapped by a group of nuns for peddling a budget that “rejects church teaching about solidarity, inequality, the choice for the poor, and the common good.”

In short, beneath that Ken doll head of hair, behind the carefully cultivated image of a brave pseudo-policy wonk, lies a cruel ideologue. And it’s Ryan’s GOP now.

Another opinion piece from a writer in the tank for Obama and willing to lie about Romney's positions just like most of the democrat party. Why even bother posting such nonsensical, biased nonsense? rolleyes.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

He did a lot of menial jobs in his youth and worked his way through college. He was not some spoiled rich kid.

Let's be realistic. I too worked when I was in university. While many of my friends traveled the world during the summer or took spring break vacations in sunny places, I was working. Many of them came from families of modest means and were carrying student loans. Some would also work part time jobs during the shool year to pay for school and their travels. They had to work.

I was fortunate to have a father that paid my tuition and gave me an allowance. It wasn't a luxurious life, but I didn't have the stress of debt like them and I didn't have financial worries. When I wanted to come home at christmas, my travel expenses were paid.

My friends had more fun doing what young people should do, while I slowly built up my bank account. Some of them carried their student debt for a decade while they took on additional debt paying for a car or a home. I didn't have debt and still do not have debt. I don't know how people can live with debt. Mr. Ryan doesn't carry debt and I suspect he is alot like me in his dislike of debt.

I had to work because my father made me. It was work or take on the expenses of school. However, the fact is that I had it alot easier than 90% of the students in the USA. Mr. Ryan's student days are more like mine, except he had it easier than 99% of the students in the USA because he had a big fat trust fund. He worked at jobs he selected and could leave anytime. Most students have to settle for what they can get. I don't think Mr. Ryan led a playboy lifestyle, but his family circumstances were such they he had no money worries.

It is alot easier to be a slash and cut republican when you don't have to worry about feeding the kids or paying the rent due at the end of the month.

It is also a lot easier to see what realistically needs to be done to save Medicare, Social Security and get the country out of debt. The problem is those on the left that are railing against a sensible solution and making up complete lies about it because it does not benefit them personally or because it will cost them votes.

Your Ryan man who you claim to be sensible actually isn't sensible at all. Here is a look at the numbers. He may claim to offer a realistic solution but he does nothing of the kind.

Also keep in mind this Ayn Rand-ish cruel Ryan's budget GUTS Medicaid, and when you add up their let the poor just die plan to repeal Obamacare, means over 40 million new uninsured Americans.

Where is the concern for the poor and the sick? The republicans are earning their reputation as the party at active war on the poor.

The point is that the Ryan budget simply doesn't work. "Everything else," from the Justice Department to the EPA, isn't going to just shut down. The numbers don't add up.

As the old saying goes: garbage in, garbage out. The Ryan budget dictates that revenues won’t go above 19 percent of GDP, while an aging population will require additional spending in Medicare and Social Security. The document simply does not comport with reality.

The more folks learn about the Romney/Ryan budget, the more folks will realize that it is about as reliable as the fiscal plan of the last person to preach this gospel: George W. Bush.

http://www.slate.com..._security_.html Edited by Jingthing

All this talk from the Ryan supporters of the need to cut spending. Some tea party supporters want to reduce the PBS (the public broadcaster)budget and eliminate assistance altogether. Mr. Ryan favours such cuts. Know what? It's not the first time the demand to slash budgets has come up. It's been going for decades. Every time the US budget includes proposals to close expensive unnecessary military bases, congressional delegations intervene and block them. Instead, they'll focus on the smallest part of the budget expenditures, Discretionary spending or they'll try and change the subject to "welfare bums".

So why my reference to PBS and budget cuts? Well, there is a video I want you to watch. Back in the Nixon era, Mr. Nixon wanted to cut the PBS budget. He thought they were too liberal. Many of the arguments one hears in support of the Ryan proposals are eerily similiar.

And then along came Fred Rogers. Now, those of you that don't know Mr. Rogers, Presidential Medal of freedon holdermhe became a beloved icon of TV land. He was, an ordained minister, and a moral conservative. And yet, instead of preaching hatred, he was all love and caring, a man that wanted to make America a better place and a man that had an unwavering ability to accept and love everyone, even those he disagreed with. HIs old fashioned virtues and decency earned him the adoration and support of people many of you would label leftiists and loose liberals.

Watch and learn something about social responsibility and see the decency of a real conservative, values that the Ryan contingent just doesn't seem to possess.