Mitt Romney Chooses Paul Ryan As Election Running Mate

george

Voter fraud is almost nonexistent in the United States. On the other hand, politically motivated voter suppression is widespread.

Forget it, JT. Even traditional allies of the Democrats around the world don't see what is wrong with having to show an ID when voting. It's just common sense. I've had countless of them think I was joking when I told them that the Dems oppose the idea of showing IDs.

If they knew the history of American politics, racist POLL TAXES and the like, the way Bush stole two elections, they wouldn't think it was a joke at all.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voter fraud is almost nonexistent in the United States. On the other hand, politically motivated voter suppression is widespread.

Forget it, JT. Even traditional allies of the Democrats around the world don't see what is wrong with having to show an ID when voting. It's just common sense. I've had countless of them think I was joking when I told them that the Dems oppose the idea of showing IDs.

If they knew the history of American politics, racist POLL TAXES and the like, the way Bush stole two elections, they wouldn't think it was a joke at all.

Yeah, right. You've a wild imagination but if that helps convince you that anybody can go vote using someone else's name (living, dead, felon or pet), go right ahead.

Back to the topic of VPs,...there is a lot of talk about VP candidate Ryan vs VP Biden. It is already conventional wisdom that Ryan will destroy Biden in a debate because he is young, intellectual and sharp, while Biden is fighting senility and rambles aimlessly too often. But Biden should do very well on foreign policy despite being borderline nuts. How will Ryan stack up against Biden on that subject? I expect the debate mod to focus his questions more on Foreign Policy and less on Economics. It's the only way to give "Crazy Joe" a fighting chance. Of course, Ryan's strategy could be to let Biden use his time because everyone knows, the longer Joe speaks, the nuttier things he says. He is his own worst enemy.

• Like 1

Yeah, right. You've a wild imagination but if that helps convince you that anybody can go vote using someone else's name (living, dead, felon or pet), go right ahead.

Back to the topic of VPs,...there is a lot of talk about VP candidate Ryan vs VP Biden. It is already conventional wisdom that Ryan will destroy Biden in a debate because he is young, intellectual and sharp, while Biden is fighting senility and rambles aimlessly too often. But Biden should do very well on foreign policy despite being borderline nuts. How will Ryan stack up against Biden on that subject? I expect the debate mod to focus his questions more on Foreign Policy and less on Economics. It's the only way to give "Crazy Joe" a fighting chance. Of course, Ryan's strategy could be to let Biden use his time because everyone knows, the longer Joe speaks, the nuttier things he says. He is his own worst enemy.

Hmm, Do you need an ID to register to vote? wink.png

Yes, Ryan should prove a more formidable opponent than Gov. Palin did in 2008, as he appears able to string together more than one coherent sentence. wink.png

The question is will people be comfortable with his readiness to potentially assume the POTUS. Rarely has the VP candidate swung an election, barring 1960 perhaps.

Edited by lomatopo

Rarely has the VP candidate swung an election, barring 1960 perhaps.

What I am hoping for is that the Ryan selection will steer the debate to more serious issues our county faces - the economy, jobs, national debt, medicare - and away from the distraction issues Obama has been hiding behind - gay marriage, more free contraception, racial scare tactics, amnesty for illegal immigrants (all giving something to special interest groups then scaring them into believing if he loses in November, it will all be taken away). That is just a despicable way for a sitting POTUS to campaign when he should be campaigning on his 3+ years of accomplishments.

Edited by koheesti

Obviously they are trying to cram something down American's throats that they don't believe they would buy if they knew the truth.

If citizens vote Romney/Ryan they would not be cramming anything down their thoats. It would just mean that they reject robbing Medicare of 700 billion for a plan that is very unpopular and WAS crammed down down the electorates throats with backroom deals and special favors that bought votes.

You do realize the Ryan plan keeps the Obamacare Medicare adjustment?clap2.gif

In recent history, only TEN cases of voter fraud have been found in the United States.

On the other hand one in ten eligible American citizens lack photo ID (driver's licenses usually) and one in four BLACK Americans lack this. This is a blatantly racist attack on poor minority voters who tend to vote democratic. If Romney wins using this racist tactic, he will have won illegitimately by suppressing poor and minority voters.

Obviously they are trying to cram something down American's throats that they don't believe they would buy if they knew the truth.

If citizens vote Romney/Ryan they would not be cramming anything down their thoats. It would just mean that they reject robbing Medicare of 700 billion for a plan that is very unpopular and WAS crammed down down the electorates throats with backroom deals and special favors that bought votes.

Yes, it is ironic that JT would use the phrase "cram something down American's throats" when that is EXACTLY how Obamacare was passed - in the middle of the night, over the Christmas weekend, by bribing Dem Senators with special back-room exemption/cash bribery deals for their states.

So you are for cramming when you like it but against cramming when you don't? Is that it? Again if the Ryan plan is so stellar, advertise the facts about and include ALL ages. Of course they won't because they are sleazy cowards who know what they are selling and know the truth would never sell. Budget cuts for everyone except the rich and the military, who they intend to give MORE to. Yes this is class warfare and the rich have won. Time to fight back. Edited by Jingthing

In recent history, only TEN cases of voter fraud have been found in the United States.

On the other hand one in ten eligible American citizens lack photo ID (driver's licenses usually) and one in four BLACK Americans lack this. This is a blatantly racist attack on poor minority voters who tend to vote democratic. If Romney wins using this racist tactic, he will have won illegitimately by suppressing poor and minority voters.

There are a lot of examples out there that you willfully ignore because, well, you know the fraud favors your party, the Democrats.

The number of people without proper ID in Pennsylvania is also not nearly as large as voter-ID critics claim. State officials testified that it was under 1 percent. That’s in line with court findings in recent ID cases and an American University analysis of three states, which found that fewer than one-half of 1 percent of people lacked ID. Critics claim that the state of Pennsylvania found that 758,000 registered voters lacked a Department of Motor Vehicles ID, but those numbers do not tell the whole story. Over l67,000 were inactive voters who hadn’t seen a polling place in at least five years. Many others may have other forms of acceptable identification ranging from passports to military IDs to government-employee IDs to cards issued by nursing homes or assisted-living facilities.

Yes this is class warfare and the rich have won. Time to fight back.

I'd rather the rich win than the poor. A poor person has never hired anyone.

That's classic. Most of the money of rich people like Romney now goes OFFSHORE and you bloody well know it.

The number of people without proper ID in Pennsylvania is also not nearly as large as voter-ID critics claim. State officials testified that it was under 1 percent. That’s in line with court findings in recent ID cases and an American University analysis of three states, which found that fewer than one-half of 1 percent of people lacked ID. Critics claim that the state of Pennsylvania found that 758,000 registered voters lacked a Department of Motor Vehicles ID, but those numbers do not tell the whole story. Over l67,000 were inactive voters who hadn’t seen a polling place in at least five years. Many others may have other forms of acceptable identification ranging from passports to military IDs to government-employee IDs to cards issued by nursing homes or assisted-living facilities.

the state's response to the DOJ's inquiry. Note well this section:

There have been no investigations or prosecutions of in-person voter fraud in Pennsylvania
; and the parties do not have direct personal knowledge of any such investigations or prosecutions in other states,” the statement reads.

According to the agreement, the state “will not offer any evidence in this action that in-person voter fraud has in fact occurred in Pennsylvania and elsewhere,” nor will it “offer argument or evidence that in-person voter fraud is likely to occur in November 2012 in the absence of the Photo ID law.”

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aclupa.org%2Fdownloads%2FApplewhiteStipulation.pdf

You do realize the Ryan plan keeps the Obamacare Medicare adjustment?

By repealing all of Obamacare’s spending, the Republican budget does not spend the money Obamacare took out of Medicare. Those funds are used to extend the Medicare trust fund.

The budget document spells it out in its spending tables and also explains it in its narrative section, noting on page 54 that:

This budget ends the raid on the Medicare trust fund that began with passage of the new health care law last year. It ensures that any potential savings in current law would go to shore up Medicare, not to pay for new entitlements. In addition to repealing the health care law’s new rationing board and its unfunded long-term care entitlement, this budget stabilizes plan choices for current seniors.

There are a lot of examples out there that you willfully ignore because, well, you know the fraud favors your party, the Democrats.

Not too mention that one reason that voter fraud in not more widespread is because one has to prove who they are in order to vote. If the democrats get their way, everyone will know that fraud is easy to get away with - which is just what they want.

Yes this is class warfare and the rich have won. Time to fight back.

I'd rather the rich win than the poor. A poor person has never hired anyone.

That's classic. Most of the money of rich people like Romney now goes OFFSHORE and you bloody well know it.

Do have a link to the stats that back that statement up or should we just assume it's yet another groundless and untrue statement (re: lie).

the state's response to the DOJ's inquiry. Note well this section:

There have been no investigations or prosecutions of in-person voter fraud in Pennsylvania
; and the parties do not have direct personal knowledge of any such investigations or prosecutions in other states,” the statement reads.

According to the agreement, the state “will not offer any evidence in this action that in-person voter fraud has in fact occurred in Pennsylvania and elsewhere,” nor will it “offer argument or evidence that in-person voter fraud is likely to occur in November 2012 in the absence of the Photo ID law.”

https://docs.google....Stipulation.pdf

It's true, Voter ID laws WILL help Romney win - because it limits the amount of fraud the Democrats can commit. dam_n!

• Like 1

So it is safe to say that you are against banning the sale and ownership of fully automatic AK-47s in the USA because there haven't been any cases of people using them against other citizens (if so, certainly under 10)? Or, is that an exception to your "It has happened very few times so therefore there is no need to protect against it" logic?

What I am hoping for is that the Ryan selection will steer the debate to more serious issues our county faces - the economy, jobs, national debt, medicare - and away from the distraction issues Obama has been hiding behind - gay marriage, more free contraception, racial scare tactics, amnesty for illegal immigrants (all giving something to special interest groups then scaring them into believing if he loses in November, it will all be taken away). That is just a despicable way for a sitting POTUS to campaign when he should be campaigning on his 3+ years of accomplishments.

Ryan has been addressing these very issues.

I've got no problems with requiring IDs, as long as you put in place a program to issue acceptable IDs to every registered voter, BEFORE an election.

Pretty much everything in your post is incorrect, but I will not bother answering every accusation. However, I will address the silliest one. Asking for IDs to vote is nothing new and the Supreme Court has ruled that it is only sensible. It is the democrats who are trying to change the law at the last minute.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I've got no problems with requiring IDs, as long as you put in place a program to issue acceptable IDs to every registered voter, BEFORE an election.

Pretty much everything in your post is incorrect, but I will not bother answering every accusation. However, I will address the silliest one. Asking for IDs to vote is nothing new and the Supreme Court has ruled that it is only sensible. It is the democrats who are trying to change the law at the last minute.

I have no issues with you inability to address anything in my post. That seems to be your strength.

Can you provide any links, re: the silliest one? One state, Indiana, is hardly a majority?

Thanks.

Edited by lomatopo

Ryan's budget INCLUDED the Obama adjustments to Medicare funding.

Now Ryan has changed his tune because he was picked as VP wannabe.

So what can we conclude? Another political whore.

The Republican platform will be based on the Romney budget, not the Ryan budget.

Which budget is Obama running on? Is it the one for 2012 that was defeated in the Senate by a vote of 97-0, the budget for 2013 that was defeated in the Senate by a vote of 99-0 or has he come up with a new one by now?

Paul Ryan has a bit of a problem on his hands now doesn't he?

His office requested money from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), or stimulus package, for his congressional district, and then he repeatedly denied having done so. ermm.gif

He has a history of requesting federal funds for his district. Nothing wrong with that, but he has been carrying on as if the representatives that do that are somehow bad people and only Democrats. 128 House Republicans voted against the stimulus only to request funds from it, including Eric Cantor, John Boehner and Michele Bachmann. It seems to me that these stalwarts of the tea party were inconsistent and hypocrites.