Heat Rash, Chlor Itch ? How To Solve Before I Go Crazy

Nakonamath

Hey,

2-3 months ago i started to get red rash on my neck, shoulders and arms, we just got a inflateable pool, and i gave the water too much chlorine. after about 1 month i have begun to have had red rashes more or less daily.

i have been to the doctor he said it is heat rash, and he give me some expensive lotion..... didnt help.

sometimes i need to take cold shower 3-4 times in the night because i simply cant sleep because of this.

my skin will look like this

Heat%2BRash.jpg

However, it seems when i am in BigC or the office with the Aircon on, everythings go away. so this "shit" is triggered by Heat.

I read from google, others with this problem, that i need to moist my skin, it is due to trapped sweat in the skin,

The chlorine dry out the skn so that have negative effect, and our water in the house, i have noticed a weak oder of chlorine too, (chonburi )

Does anyone have a Cure, or solution for this, i am pretty sure im not the only one with this shit

Jack

hey mate, when you finish your shower and dry off, put some CORN FLOUR on the area, also groin and under arms if need be, next day you will be fine, this is tried and tested remedy in Aust as my Grand Dad was using it for saddle rash (prickly heat) in the early 1900s, I have put many people here and in TH onto it and everyone has had relief, let us know how you go........

bob

Edited by namoi

hey mate, when you finish your shower and dry off, put some CORN FLOUR on the area, also groin and under arms if need be, next day you will be fine, this is tried and tested remedy in Aust as my Grand Dad was using it for saddle rash (prickly heat) in the early 1900s, I have put many people here and in TH onto it and everyone has had relief, let us know how you go........

bob

Hi Bob, if that works, i guess baby powder would too, thanks

It is definitely 'Hives'. It is an overresponse of your body's immune system that can go on for months or years. I bet you get scratch-like marks on your forehead or stomach, and maybe mounds.

Anyway, research it more in the online Merck dictionary.

Your welcome.

It is definitely 'Hives'. It is an overresponse of your body's immune system that can go on for months or years. I bet you get scratch-like marks on your forehead or stomach, and maybe mounds.

Anyway, research it more in the online Merck dictionary.

Your welcome.

Yes but as i just read, hives commonly only attach soft skin, i have this in my "leather" neck shoulders and arms, and if i take cold shower or go to the aircon room, its gone in 5 min or so.

But if it is hives, then there is a real chance it go away :-)

Jack

Ohh i hope not chronic, i have had it for 2 months, i lived here for 3 years, never had anything like this before.

i might think it got triggered when we had too much chlorine in our small pool.

I have read about chronic urticaria, now, and i will try find the tablets they suggest as treatment,

Thank you for this suggestion it is very helpfull

Jack

From the picture it looks to me like a typical heat rash. I would not advise antihistamines, heat rash is not an allergic process. it is inflammation due to the sweat glands being blocked. The key is to keep the area dry and cool. Minimize exposure to heat, bath frequently and wear loose cotton clothing. Corn starch or talcum powder may also help by absorbing sweatr.

When it flares up, applying hydrocortisone or other topical steroid will help bring relief. Calamine lotion also sometimes helps.

Medical care is indicated if the glands become infected as sometimes happens. That would be indicated by increased swelling, persistant redness, and formation of pustules.

From the picture it looks to me like a typical heat rash. I would not advise antihistamines, heat rash is not an allergic process. it is inflammation due to the sweat glands being blocked. The key is to keep the area dry and cool. Minimize exposure to heat, bath frequently and wear loose cotton clothing. Corn starch or talcum powder may also help by absorbing sweatr.

When it flares up, applying hydrocortisone or other topical steroid will help bring relief. Calamine lotion also sometimes helps.

Medical care is indicated if the glands become infected as sometimes happens. That would be indicated by increased swelling, persistant redness, and formation of pustules.

well this is what i have read sofar too, but different persons have different ideas of what this is.

i will try the different options over the next days.

today i tried some inflammation skin care, which made the itch stop 100% for some hours, will i started working outside then i was going crazy !!!!

jack

Yes, the steroid ointments will bring quick relief to the inflammation but once you are outside in heat and humidity -- and especially of exerting yourself -- the problem recurs and in fact at that point the cream applied may aggravate matters because any type of cream or lotion clogs the pores.

once the inflammation is gone and you feel better, wash off the cream completely and thoroughly dry the area and apply corn starch or talc powder.

come inside into a/c at frequent intervals when working outside and each time you do, wash off the area, ice it a bit, dry thoroughly, and reapply powder when you again go out.

I don't know what sort of outdoor work you are doing but if you can manage to have a fabn on you while you do it, it may help. I do this when gardening.

Yes, the steroid ointments will bring quick relief to the inflammation but once you are outside in heat and humidity -- and especially of exerting yourself -- the problem recurs and in fact at that point the cream applied may aggravate matters because any type of cream or lotion clogs the pores.

once the inflammation is gone and you feel better, wash off the cream completely and thoroughly dry the area and apply corn starch or talc powder.

come inside into a/c at frequent intervals when working outside and each time you do, wash off the area, ice it a bit, dry thoroughly, and reapply powder when you again go out.

I don't know what sort of outdoor work you are doing but if you can manage to have a fabn on you while you do it, it may help. I do this when gardening.

Allright understood good information !

Can you help me with this part. i have had this for 3 months now, before i never have had any problem with heat, i can sweat no problem i dont mind, i can be hot an burned, but why 3 months ago, this happened ?

can it have been a reaction to me beeing in the pool with too high Chlorine amount, that affected my skin ?,

jack

It is hives

The heat rash is part of the symptoms. The contact with chlorine initiated the response.

If you start responding with hayfever medicine as soon as the attacks break out you'll be ok.

Do not go close to chlorine for at least 6 months... So no swimming in pools.

bob

corn flower and baby powder are not the same on heat rash, baby powder will hold a certain amount of moisture where as corn flower does not cling to your body and the pores, but what ever you do i hope it works, i have not had the problem for many years, as soon as i feel a bit of it i go under the hand basin and get my trusty corn flour and put it on, when i am over there i get a packet of it and and keep in with me....... it is a very old bush remedy here in Aus

bob

corn flower and baby powder are not the same on heat rash, baby powder will hold a certain amount of moisture where as corn flower does not cling to your body and the pores, but what ever you do i hope it works, i have not had the problem for many years, as soon as i feel a bit of it i go under the hand basin and get my trusty corn flour and put it on, when i am over there i get a packet of it and and keep in with me....... it is a very old bush remedy here in Aus

Ok i better listen to the experts !! so......corn flour, is it the same used for cakes ?, i worry i will get baked corn flour cakes on my back if i go outside heheh

It is sold in supermarkets in yellow packaging and reads "corn flour" although it is in fact corn starch.

The same stuff used to thicken sauces.

Actual corn flour is an altogether different thing and hard to source in Thailand. But they mislabel the locally made corn starch as "corn flour' a fact that has disappointed many a would-be tortilla maker....

• Like 1

Irritation from the chlorine may have sensitized your skin and made you more prone to this...but also, it is the rainy season now and humidity thus at its highest.

It is of course hard to tell from a picture but from what I see, to me it does not look like hives, just heat rash.

If you are able to take a break from outside work for a while, that would give your skin a chance to recoup. Stay in a/c, use steroid cream as necessary, and let it clear up completely X several days at least before exposing yourself to prolonged heat and humidity again. That is really the best option, if it is feasible for you..

I have used this for a similar condition: Nizoral shampoo which contains ketoconazole. This will treat a lot of skin complaints caused by fungus or yeasts. Simply apply to the affected area, leave for a couple minutes and then rinse off.

Not sure if your condition can be heped by this but it is cheap and may be worth a try.