How Is Your Weather ?

swissie

Would like to know what this years weather-pattern is in your corner of Thailand. I live close to the Myanmar Border (50 Km N/W of Ratchabury). Since the "Rain-Season" started, nothing but overcast sky, day and night. Since June 15 I counted merely 3 truly sunny days !!

The same in your corner in Thailand ?

Around here, some locals say that this is perfectly normal and wil lkeep on going like this until the end of october. Others claim, that this a very unusual weather-year and the normal weather-pattern should be something like "daily rains of up to 2 hours and then clearing up for the rest of the day." I myself can not go back on any of this weather-thing, since this the first year that I spend time in this corner of Thailand.

So again, how are things this year in your "neck of the woods" ?

Cheers.

Emerald Triangle, good rubber weather, rains most days along the border. Not had the big flooding monsoons so the place is dryer then normal. In land from the mountains, very dry many rice paddies have little or no water.

Think really it's a drought, over most of the district, we are just lucky that the mountains and jungle make their own rain fall patterns. Jim

Emerald Triangle, good rubber weather, rains most days along the border. Not had the big flooding monsoons so the place is dryer then normal. In land from the mountains, very dry many rice paddies have little or no water.

Think really it's a drought, over most of the district, we are just lucky that the mountains and jungle make their own rain fall patterns. Jim

Same here: No big flooding monsoons. Dryer than usual, according to my Thai-Neighbours. But still: Constantly overcast sky and this for weeks now. Must confess, this is starting to take a negative effect as far as my mental state of mind is concerned.

Cheers.

Cenral Buriram.... dryer than usual. Overcast days, with occasional evening thunderstorms. Wet enough for much of the paddy, but some farmers are having drought problems. Not unusual for our area.

I expect heavier rains in September and early October, then a drought until the following April/May.

Very dry in southern SiSaket for the last 2 weeks - the reservoirs have all retreated back to their dry season levels after filling up rapidly in June. Last year it was thunderstorms for several hours every day at this time of year.

If we get a wet season for the next couple of months the farmers will be happy.

Not sure if this fits here or not.

Thai Met has an attachment to the daily regional forecasts on the net, of the averages for 30 years from 1961 to 1990.

Now in this day and age,we get a daily forecast(by guess or someone)but how about an update for the

averages.Not much use for the data to be 22 years out of date.How can we get some action on an update??

This could give an idea on Globa Warming?^%$#@! and certainly rain forecasting for those growing crops.

trend on rain variations and temperatures. Any ideas please

Same here: No big flooding monsoons. Dryer than usual, according to my Thai-Neighbours. But still: Constantly overcast sky and this for weeks now. Must confess, this is starting to take a negative effect as far as my mental state of mind is concerned.

Cheers.

Thanks for all the input. But it's not raelly about the amount of rainfall. (We had minimal rainfall so far). It's about the CONSTANTLY OVERCAST SKY, and this for weeks now. An occasional and rare "clearing-up" lasts less than 2 hours and then it's back to the same old gray in gray.

So the question is really: Also constantly overcast sky in your aerea ?

Cheers.

I live in the province of Buriram in Khoktoom which is 20kms from Nangron. Weather here causing much consternation by the local villagers as for over 2 months now have had very little rain, has been very cloudy/overcast with the odd light showers which is insufficient to penetrate into the topsoil.The rice fields instead of being a luscious green are now turning brown. Al the local water holes in the rice fields, which normally at this time of the year are full, are now dry with farmers draining the water to put into the fields to try and save their rice. The locals believe that if there is not substantial rain soon then the rice crops, volume and quality, will drop significantly and therefore their yearly income. An aside to this, I feel the Thai Visa Weather website is a joke. Everyday the weekly forecast changes. For instance today it will say that this Friday there will be X amount of rain with thunderstorms in our area then look again tomorrow and it will say 'No rain Expected' for the same day!!!. I think weather forcasters are paid a lot of money but end up guessing most of the time. Not very helpful to the farmers.

I live in the province of Buriram in Khoktoom which is 20kms from Nangron. Weather here causing much consternation by the local villagers as for over 2 months now have had very little rain, has been very cloudy/overcast with the odd light showers which is insufficient to penetrate into the topsoil.The rice fields instead of being a luscious green are now turning brown. Al the local water holes in the rice fields, which normally at this time of the year are full, are now dry with farmers draining the water to put into the fields to try and save their rice. The locals believe that if there is not substantial rain soon then the rice crops, volume and quality, will drop significantly and therefore their yearly income. An aside to this, I feel the Thai Visa Weather website is a joke. Everyday the weekly forecast changes. For instance today it will say that this Friday there will be X amount of rain with thunderstorms in our area then look again tomorrow and it will say 'No rain Expected' for the same day!!!. I think weather forcasters are paid a lot of money but end up guessing most of the time. Not very helpful to the farmers.

""over 2 months now have had very little rain, has been very cloudy/overcast with the odd light showers which is insufficient to penetrate into the topsoil""

The above quote reflects the situation in my "neck of the woods" EXACTLY !

Come on folks, now the big "outing": Same in your aerea (cloudy / overcast but with not much rain ?)

My understanding of a NORMAL rainy-season would be: Almost daily heavy rains for a couple of hours, then clearing up.

So far I have spent the rainy seasons always in coastal-aereas where at least there always were some sunny-days in between.

- If this constant overcast weather thing should be the norm upcountry, then it would mean that it was the first and last rainy season that I spent in my neck of the woods.

Cheers.

Hi Swissie. The never-ending grey sky is why my (Swiss) partner flees Switzerland every November. Being Singaporean, I accept it as a November phenomenon in Asia, *shrug* and go on sipping my tea. That's the way it is and it's part of the natural seasonal rhythm in Southeast Asia. Clear gorgeous blue skies is so NOT part of my memories growing up.

Having spent some time in Europe -- and enjoying the clear blue skies which we rarely get in Southeast Asia -- I think that consecutive days of grey skies affect Europeans more. Perhaps I am wrong.....but one of the reasons that expats choose to be in the tropics is "sunny days" etc. To be greeted by constant grey skies is not what is expected.

Hi Swissie. The never-ending grey sky is why my (Swiss) partner flees Switzerland every November. Being Singaporean, I accept it as a November phenomenon in Asia, *shrug* and go on sipping my tea. That's the way it is and it's part of the natural seasonal rhythm in Southeast Asia. Clear gorgeous blue skies is so NOT part of my memories growing up.

Having spent some time in Europe -- and enjoying the clear blue skies which we rarely get in Southeast Asia -- I think that consecutive days of grey skies affect Europeans more. Perhaps I am wrong.....but one of the reasons that expats choose to be in the tropics is "sunny days" etc. To be greeted by constant grey skies is not what is expected.

Thanks jazzed. Your input is the only one that adresses my question. I diden't ask obout local rainfall amounts or drought or flood conditions. All I wanted to know is: Is it a normal weather-pattern during the rainy-season, that skyes are constantly overcast (like in my neck of the woods and this for weeks now) or is this an unusual weather-pattern in the rainy season ?

Still courious. Cheers.

Oh what a surprise the Thai Visa Weather was wrong again. Yesterday it showed that we were to get 0.2mm of rain. what happened it came down so hard for an hour that drivers had to stop as visibility was so bad and roads flooded. Must have had about 25 -30mm in an hour. How can forcasters continually get it so wrong?!!!. Good to see the rain for the rice fields but need a lot more and soon.