Making Hot Drinks In Los

OJAS

Is it safe to drink coffees, etc made with tap water which has been boiled as per advice given by water companies in the UK whenever their treatment works go on the blink? Or should hot drinks only be made from boiled bottled/purified water?

Doubtless this has already been asked on TV many times, but a quick search has not turned up any relevant threads.

Is it safe to drink coffees, etc made with tap water which has been boiled as per advice given by water companies in the UK whenever their treatment works go on the blink? Or should hot drinks only be made from boiled bottled/purified water?

Doubtless this has already been asked on TV many times, but a quick search has not turned up any relevant threads.

If you have access to one of those water dispensing machines that charges 1bt per litre.

Then use that water for cooking and making hot drinks it's filtered through reverse osmosis

which makes it safe to drink and free from any sediment particles.

Also keeps your kettle clean.

If it's boiled you'll probably be safe from infections, and I used to do this, but then I started to notice the amount of sediment and crap collecting in my kettle.

I got a lot of sediment and crap in my kettle when I lived in the UK. But that was because I lived in a hard water area. Round here (in Rayong Province) the water is soft.

Any drink benefits from using good water to begin with, you might want to look into water filters. Boil for 20 minutes? I don't think anyone does that

When my local treatment works in the UK went on the blink several years ago, Thames Water advised all those affected merely to bring water intended for drinking purposes to the boil, not boil it for a whole 20 minutes.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies. Think I'll err on the side of caution and only use filtered water in the kettle I intend buying at Tesco Lotus tomorrow.

Edited by OJAS

If it's boiled you'll probably be safe from infections, and I used to do this, but then I started to notice the amount of sediment and crap collecting in my kettle.

I got a lot of sediment and crap in my kettle when I lived in the UK. But that was because I lived in a hard water area. Round here (in Rayong Province) the water is soft.

Any drink benefits from using good water to begin with, you might want to look into water filters. Boil for 20 minutes? I don't think anyone does that

When my local treatment works in the UK went on the blink several years ago, Thames Water advised all those affected merely to bring water intended for drinking purposes to the boil, not boil it for a whole 20 minutes.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies. Think I'll err on the side of caution and only use filtered water in the kettle I intend buying at Tesco Lotus tomorrow.

get yourself the big 6 litre bottle and when empty refill for 6 baht in one of the machines on the street

Even just short of a full boil will take care of bacteria and most parasites, the only thing that is going to survive that is spores and parasite eggs, not usually found in tap water here.

What boiling will not help is any chemical contamination. Whether or not that is a concern depends on your water source.

And some tap water is chlorinated (again, depends on water source) which may or may not bother you taste wise.

For what it's worth, my tap water is from an artesian well and I use it for making tea and cooking, have been for 15+ years.

Out here in rural Thailand we use the government water fo most things and rainwater from the storage tanks for drinking and making tea, coffee etc.

The rainwater is collected a couple of time a year in the wet season and stored in 2 x 3,000 litre storage tanks.

The odd time or two I have used the governmentwater for tea and coffee but I use a kettle which actually boils the water rather the the hot pot style which heat bu t doesn' necessarily boli the water.

I have been doing that for over 8 years now.

If you have access to one of those water dispensing machines that charges 1bt per litre.

Then use that water for cooking and making hot drinks it's filtered through reverse osmosis

which makes it safe to drink and free from any sediment particles.

Also keeps your kettle clean.

Only 1/2 bht per litre in most places.

I am rather doubtful about public water filters. Do you guys think that their filters are cleaned / changed as per specs? A friend of mine bought a ฿50 000 filter and he washed the filters every day (a bit obsessive maybe), replacing the filters was expensive but he did do it. The only guys that will test your water are the agricultural departments of universities I believe, fairly expensive and of course only relating to the particular day just before Somchai sprayed gunk all over your roof. I also wonder if, like tourist deaths, water pollution results are not likely to be doctored before being made public.

Anyway I got food poisoning the one time I drank iced water at a street food stall, otherwise I have been ok drinking water collected off the roof, respecting common sense of course,