Ecuador President Says No Decision Made On Assange Asylum Request

News_Editor

My knowledge of the Court is limited, but I don't think that they would hear a case concerning Assange. I believe the case would have to be between Ecuador and the UK and would deal with allowing Ecuador to get Assange out of the country unimpeded. I am not positive on this, but I think the Court hears cases between countries (with some exceptions).

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possible motives for the cocky South American's stance?

Talk about holding a grudge but some very good points made.

BRITAIN has withdrawn a threat to enter Ecuador's embassy in London to arrest WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, President Rafael Correa says.

Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa said he believed his country had overcome a diplomatic spat with Britain over its threat to enter the Ecuadoran Embassy in London in order to arrest WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.

"We believe that this unfortunate incident is over," said Correa."It was a mistake for the British Foreign Office to say that they would enter our embassy."

"It's good that the United Kingdom has given up its threat.

"Now we act as if we never received it. We must seek a mutually acceptable solution of the case of Julian Assange through dialogue."

The president added that he was glad the two countries "were returning to the path of dialogue and were looking for a consensual solution without abandoning our principles."

The 34-member Organisation of American States declared "solidarity and support" for Ecuador on Friday, rejecting "any attempt that might put at risk the inviolability of the premises of diplomatic missions".

In an earlier interview with the British newspaper The Sunday Times, Correa said that the sex crime allegations against the WikiLeaks founder were "not a crime in Latin America" and had played no part in Quito's decision to grant Assange asylum.

He also blasted the British government for its "contradictions" in wanting to extradite Assange to Sweden, when it did not extradite former Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet after his 1998 arrest in London on an international arrest warrant issued by Spanish judge Baltasar Garzon, who is now heading Assange's legal team.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/world/rafael-correa-says-wikileaks-founder-julian-assanges-actions-not-a-crime/story-fnddckzi-1226458326645

Edited by necronx99

BRITAIN has withdrawn a threat to enter Ecuador's embassy in London to arrest WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, President Rafael Correa says.

Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa said he believed his country had overcome a diplomatic spat with Britain over its threat to enter the Ecuadoran Embassy in London in order to arrest WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.

"We believe that this unfortunate incident is over," said Correa."It was a mistake for the British Foreign Office to say that they would enter our embassy."

"Now we act as if we never received it. We must seek a mutually acceptable solution of the case of Julian Assange through dialogue."

The president added that he was glad the two countries "were returning to the path of dialogue and were looking for a consensual solution without abandoning our principles."

The 34-member Organisation of American States declared "solidarity and support" for Ecuador on Friday, rejecting "any attempt that might put at risk the inviolability of the premises of diplomatic missions".

In an earlier interview with the British newspaper The Sunday Times, Correa said that the sex crime allegations against the WikiLeaks founder were "not a crime in Latin America" and had played no part in Quito's decision to grant Assange asylum.

He also blasted the British government for its "contradictions" in wanting to extradite Assange to Sweden, when it did not extradite former Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet after his 1998 arrest in London on an international arrest warrant issued by Spanish judge Baltasar Garzon, who is now heading Assange's legal team.

http://www.dailytele...i-1226458326645

So now they are friends with britain again and "Correa said that the sex crime allegations against the WikiLeaks founder were "not a crime in Latin America" and had played no part in Quito's decision to grant Assange asylum." So now why are the reasons they are affording him assylum ?

So now they are friends with britain again and "Correa said that the sex crime allegations against the WikiLeaks founder were "not a crime in Latin America" and had played no part in Quito's decision to grant Assange asylum." So now why are the reasons they are affording him assylum ?

The same reason that he gave in his application and the reason publically given by Ecuador which had nothing to do with the sexual allegations.

Is there a written judgment by Ecuadorian government concerning his asylum claim and the reasoning behind it?

Yes and it been been hashed over and over. The Ecuadorian President and foreign Minister have both made public announcements citing thier reasons and fears for assylum and this would have been put in writing also. It is all on the web for all to see.

The same reason that he gave in his application and the reason publically given by Ecuador which had nothing to do with the sexual allegations.

Ecuador says that Assange is at risk of an unfair trial or the death. The U.S.A. has denied there is any "witchhunt" and stated that Assange was making "wild" claims to deflect attention from his alleged sexual misconduct in Sweden

And reports today is that he will apply to the international court. I can't see how the international court will uphold his request on an assumption? I have had no problem with wikileaks holding governments to account but assange is a egotist who is just trying to avoid facing the aligations against him.

Ecuador says that Assange is at risk of an unfair trial or the death. The U.S.A. has denied there is any "witchhunt" and stated that Assange was making "wild" claims to deflect attention from his alleged sexual misconduct in Sweden

And reports today is that he will apply to the international court. I can't see how the international court will uphold his request on an assumption? I have had no problem with wikileaks holding governments to account but assange is a egotist who is just trying to avoid facing the aligations against him.

But the allegations are pretty lame, as evidenced by the first Swedish prosecutor who refused to act.

And Britain extraditing over an alleged "offence" that would not be a crime in virtually any country but Sweden is also strange.

• Like 1

But the allegations are pretty lame, as evidenced by the first Swedish prosecutor who refused to act.

And Britain extraditing over an alleged "offence" that would not be a crime in virtually any country but Sweden is also strange.

I agree but the British are obliged by the treaty agreament they have to extradite him. All could have been solved way back in January or there abouts if he just faced the allegations instead of starting up this conpiracy.

Again, please stick to the topic. There are countless threads and posts regarding the validity of the charges against him. There is no need to rehash this in this thread. Whether you agree or disagree with the charges, he has been granted Asylum by Ecuador.

The current problem for Assange seems to be getting from the Ecuadorian Embassy to the country of Ecuador.

I agree but the British are obliged by the treaty agreament they have to extradite him. All could have been solved way back in January or there abouts if he just faced the allegations instead of starting up this conpiracy.

The British have violated the treaty agreement for much more serious offenders in the past,so why they could not ignore it for a crime that is not recognized in most country's on this planet?

And what conspiracy are you talking about.

The US has jailed a person under very bad, not to say inhuman, circumstances for the past 2 years under the SUSPICION that he has leaked classified documents.That mean they don't have solid proof of his guilt yet , though he is still in jail and I think he risks the dead sentence.

Do you really believe that the very same country is not interested in the person from who they have irrefutable proof that he published those very same documents on the world wide web?

Edited by JanKlaasen
  • Like 2

The British have violated the treaty agreement for much more serious offenders in the past,so why they could not ignore it for a crime that is not recognized in most country's on this planet?

The US has jailed a person under very bad, not to say inhuman, circumstances for the past 2 years under the SUSPICION that he has leaked classified documents.That mean they don't have solid proof of his guilt yet , though he is still in jail and I think he risks the dead sentence.

Do you really believe that the very same country is not interested in the person from who they have irrefutable proof that he published those very same documents on the world wide web?

I don't beleive that Britain and Sweden are conspiring with the US against him for nothing else than vegence for that matter conspiring with Us for anything involving him. Assange got himself into this mess by walking into the Ecuadorian Embassy now he has to work out how to get out and i think he will be living there for a very long time

I don't beleive that Britain and Sweden are conspiring with the US against him for nothing else than vegence for that matter conspiring with Us for anything involving him. Assange got himself into this mess by walking into the Ecuadorian Embassy now he has to work out how to get out and i think he will be living there for a very long time

Or alternatively, the UK govt will realise that spending so much tax payer money on surrounding an Embassy to ensure one guy is extradited to 'answer questions' - raises more questions than it answers!

The US has jailed a person under very bad, not to say inhuman, circumstances for the past 2 years under the SUSPICION that he has leaked classified documents.

If you mean Manning, that is because he is in the military and violated his oath. He is well and truly screwed, but any soldier that commits a crime has to go through exactly the same thing. Only a complete fool would have done what he did and expected anything other than what he got.

The US has jailed a person under very bad, not to say inhuman, circumstances for the past 2 years under the SUSPICION that he has leaked classified documents.

If you mean Manning, that is because he is in the military and violated his oath. He is well and truly screwed, but any soldier that commits a crime has to go through exactly the same thing. Only a complete fool would have done what he did and expected anything other than what he got.

Maybe he went Crazy what with all the Sneaky underhanded going ,s on. Or he thought this is all Crazy and I better try and Do The Right Thing. Be prepared for Julian to walk out of the Embassy soon.

Be prepared for Julian to walk out of the Embassy soon.

He hasn't left yet? What's the hold up? Wasn't it just last week he demanded Obama to save him?

I guess you didn't wear your reading glasses when you read that.

He didn't demand Obama to save him, instead he demanded to stop the WITCH HUNT against Wikileaks.

I'm sure you understand the meaning of witch hunt, don't you.

Be prepared for Julian to walk out of the Embassy soon.

He hasn't left yet? What's the hold up? Wasn't it just last week he demanded Obama to save him?

I guess you didn't wear your reading glasses when you read that.

He didn't demand Obama to save him, instead he demanded to stop the WITCH HUNT against Wikileaks.

I'm sure you understand the meaning of witch hunt, don't you.

I'm smart enough to read between the lines. "Wikileaks" isn't holed up in the Ecuadoran embassy, creepy Assange is. BTW, I should have put a smile.png after the word "demanded". Assange is not in a position to demand anything.

Edited by koheesti

Assange is not in a position to demand anything, but he is under the protection of the Ecuadorian gov't and they are in a better position to make demands on his and their own behalf.

Ecuador has a long history of dealing with refugees from neighboring countries and has national laws concerning refuge in the country.

The UK is in an awkward position. It has someone who has been granted asylum and attempts to undermine that determination could have wide ranging consequences.

It is not the whole building. It is just a flat in the building.

I read somewhere there are TV monitors covering all of the building except for the Embassy proper.

That's why I think he is trying to tunnel his way out.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

German MP mulls solution to Assange case

"We, as peace and freedom loving people in Germany and around the world are greatly indebted to Mr Assange. He helped to uncover the war crimes in Iraq and in Afghanistan," Dagdelen said.

"We agreed that the key is the attitude of the British and the Swedish government," she said, adding that the Swedish Prosecution Authority has displayed a very contradictory attitude, and has denied Assange the opportunity to make full use of his right to a defence.

Dagdelen said she was worried that extraditing Assange to Sweden would trigger a chain of events that would lead eventually to his extradition to the United States, where he could face long-term imprisonment or even the death penalty.

The MP said she was planning to meet with British and Swedish diplomats in Berlin in order to discuss a solution to the crisis.

clap2.gif

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2012-09/03/content_15727444.htm