Scottishly Football

So there's an exciting end to the season ahead for the chasing teams in the Scottishly Third Division; with Rangers out of reach and guaranteed promotion, Queen's Park slip behind Peterhead on Goal Difference after being on the wrong end of a 4-1 thrashing at Shielfield Park in England.

The season will end at the beginning of May with Peterhead at Hampden, and Glasgow Rangers travelling over the border to meet their namesakes South of the Tweed. Can Berwick inflict another thrashing on Glasgow visitors to end the season on a high?

SC

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glasgow Rangers stumble to their second home defeat of the season as almost forty-four thousand cover their eyes in horror;
Rangers 1 - 2 Pe'erheid, who are second in the league.

Meanwhile Queen's Park recover from their 4-1 drubbing to hammer East Stirling 5-1 in a sparse Hampden to maintain their chase for second spot, trailing on goal difference, and Berwick Rangers claim two valuable points away from home to give them a significant three point lead over Montrose for the final play-off spot.

SC

What a climax to the season! I'm sure all our English co-posters will be glued to the wireless, joining an estimated forty-three thousand at Ibrox Park to watch Berwick Rangers. A draw would see the visitors into the play-offs for promotion, while if they lose by a big margin, Elgin, hosting East Stirlingshire could overtake them on goal difference.

At the same time, Pe'erheid will be at Hampden playing for second place, probably in front of a smaller crowd. The excitement is palpable; I'm not sure if either game will be True, though

SC

• 4 weeks later...

And what an anti-climax. Berwick Rangers fall in the first round of the play-offs, and Pe'erheid cannae prevail o'er the might of East

Could this be a harbinger of independence - for we can still rise now, and be the nation again; the Kingdom of FIfe!

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

And it's Cup Final day - I'll be supporting my closest professional team by occasionally checking the latest scores from the virtual terraces of the Etihad Stadium Manchester, where the mighty Widnes will be battling the Red Devils of Salford... Will there be sunshine over Lieth as the Hibernian meet Glasgow Celtic?

• 2 months later...

It's a short off-season, isn't it? The wee lad is away up to hampden for the first round of the Ramsden Cup, while B. Rangers are a goal up against Livingstone at Shielfield Park, while their Glasgow namesakes will be playing at the Almondvale stadium against Albion Rovers tomorrow - Albion Rovers and Glasgow R having swapped places as the new Glasgow team claimed success in their first season in professional football.

And next week, the League Cup starts - surely the highlight of the first round will be the Southern derby - as Annan Athletic travel to Dumfries for their tie against Queen of the South

SC

• 2 weeks later...

Rangers travel North of the border (as usual) to meet their Glasgow namesakes at Ibrox - perhaps more famous for hosting the commonwealth games Sevens next year - in the second round of the Ramsden Cup in a fortnight's time.

The Glasgow team will be glad of home advantage, after stuttering to a 2-1 defeat in the league cup away to fellow League 1 side Forfar

Edited by StreetCowboy

Glasgow Rangers win at Brechin in the early kick-off game, while Berwick are held scoreless at half-time at Clyde. Queen's Park trailing at East Stirling by the odd goal in three, as the Scottish leagues kick off in earnest. Meanhwile, the Pride of Glasgow the Jaggy Thistles are a goal up in Dingwall. Glasgow Celtic, the other premiership side in the city, play in a friendly at Anfield, later on this evening.

Edited by StreetCowboy

• 6 months later...

My apologies for taking my eye off the ball on this one. Rangers are struggling, mid-table, while their Glasgow namesakes are already all but assured of promotion to the Championship, with a 23 point margin over the Pars.

Queen's Park, the only Scottish team to have reached an FA Cup Final, are propping up their professional opposition at the bottom of the Scottish senior leagues.

Hearts have managed to extend the deficit with which they started the season to trail the Jaggy Thistles by 16 points, and barring miracles, will be playing against Newco in the Championship next season. To be honest, walking on water, or water into wine won't be enough for them; I'm not even sure that Lazarus coming back from Diggers to Tynecastle would be sufficient to keep them in the top flight

SC

• 10 months later...

My apologies for the short intermission

An' so ye should apologise - for the shortness ae' it

We're now more than mid-way through the season, and Newco are saying that their game next week against the Tarts (that's the Jam Quiches, for those of you from the New Town) i a 'must-win' game in their battle to be taken seriously. their management has admitted that they have no scouting system but do not bring your boots to Ibrox. You will NOT get a game. Not unless you arrive at least an hour before kick-off, and bring your own strip.

Meanwhile, our English readers may be pleased to hear that Berwick are in the play-offs zone after a convincing win over Clyde, while at the pointy end of Scottishly fitba', Aberdeen FC will be hoping to emulate their rugby league colleagues and hold on to top spot.

SC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, Ah dinnae kenabootyoo, Cowboy, but Ah'm relieved United are through tae the Quarter-Finals ae the Cup

What a surprise, Rangers, going out, though, eh?

Ah thought they wir replayin' on Tuesday

Sorry, I meant Glasgow Rangers. They did the old 1-2 to Raith Rovers at Ibrox. Their most worrying figure, though, should be "Att: 11,422". Ibrox is a great stadium when it's full and buzzing, like for the Commonwealth Games Sevens, but when it's not, it must be a bit like playing football in a church.

Meanwhile, as the Imam says, the English will be replaying against Lowland League side Spartans, who will be hoping to line up a capital derby against Hibernian. I expect they're hoping for an away fixture - I doubt they'll find the travelling intimidating

Yer dedonthair, bytheway, a Number 14, 16, or 21 bus'll do you fine fi' Pilton tae Leith

Meanwhile, back in the Leagues, Hibernian momentarily overtake Glasgow Rangers into 2nd place with a 0-2 win at Ibrox (Att: 29,769 - more pain for the accountants) though the Glasgow side has three games in hand.

Lower down the leagues, Berwick sit just outside the play-off positions in Division Two, while Queens Park are comfortable in third place - can the Hampden side, and former FA Cup winners, make promotion this year? Where will they be playing, if Hampden is to be relaid for the League Cup Final?

Elsewhere, Celtic continue to lead Aberdeen by three points, with a game in hand, after wins over Partick Thisssull! and Ross County respectively.

SC

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's Sunshine on Leith as the Muppetmen claim their first SFA Cup since 1902 in a 3-2 thrilling victory over the Championship's youngest club, Newco, a Glasgow club which no doubt will be hoping one day to establish themselves as one of the famous clubs of Scotland, alongside their Glasgow neighbours, Queen's Park, Partick Thistle, and others.