Smokers To Face Harsher Punishment For Smoking In Public: Thailand

webfact

Smokers to face harsher punishment for smoking in public

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Smokers who light up their cigarettes at a public place will be facing a harsher punishment and the minimum age of cigarette buyers will rise to 20 if ongoing efforts to push for a tougher antismoking law sail through.

"They will be fined Bt5,000 instead of Bt2,000," Deputy Public Health Minister Surawit Khonsomboon said Thursday about the new draft law.

According to him, the draft law will also raise the minimum age of cigarette buyers from 18 to 20 years old. It will ban cigarette vending machines, Internetbased cigarette sale, and the sale of packageless cigarettes as well.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-16

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be a stupid question, but what defines "public space"? is that anywhere outside of privately owned land?

I don't think they have worded this right. There is currently a 2,000 baht fine for smoking in places that you already cannot such as parks. It appears they simply want to raise this to 5,000 and not mention of adding to the places you already cannot smoke.

I think they mean anywhere that displays a no smoking sign such as parks etc. The down side thought is that the waste of space feckless coppers will now extort 5k instead of 2k from Farangs all the time now. Wonder if this came from Chalerm? He was a copper I believe and is most likely the top of the graft pyramid for the cops now?

Pattaya - Is smoking in closed / air-conditioned bars allowed or not? Where I go, I see "No Smoking" signs up, but usually within minutes some idiot shows up and starts smoking and blowing me the smoke in the face. Really pisses me off. Most of these guys are so disrespectful towards non-smokers. JL.sick.gif

There continues to be laws added but when the law was first passed there were exceptions for entertainment areas and I believe it is not just air conditioned places but they had to be enclosed (four walls). I think the laws have gotten stricter but not sure what they are now but chances are if you see a non-smoking sign then it is illegal there.

Edit: Just found this http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news08/152-SmokinginThailand.shtml .. a quick glance seems to indicate they are allowed to have smoking areas even in enclosed places.

Edited by Nisa

Might be a stupid question, but what defines "public space"? is that anywhere outside of privately owned land?

Just to give you an idea.. In Belgium public spaces include all buildings (or places for that matter) with public access as there are : governmental buildings (even at a municipality level), libraries, railway stations, airports, police stations as well as all public transport...

Asking questions can not be considered stupid, only the answers one may get could be stupid. wink.png

Edited by stefb1964

It will be where ever the plod choose to enforce it.

Certainly seems the most likely outcome. Couple of plod will come into my friends bar/restaurant which has signs all over the place. They will stay for a coffe and a couple of smokes before heading off.

If there is really transparency and honour in collecting fines from people smoking in public places rather than just skimming for crooked boys in brown, no one would mind. Thai's are not targeted, only farang, I have yet to see a Thai nailed for this. Really stupid law if it gets thru. I would hazard a guess the BiB have never been held to book for any fine taken from a smoker. Love to be proven wrong.

• Like 1

If there is really transparency and honour in collecting fines from people smoking in public places rather than just skimming for crooked boys in brown, no one would mind. Thai's are not targeted, only farang, I have yet to see a Thai nailed for this. Really stupid law if it gets thru. I would hazard a guess the BiB have never been held to book for any fine taken from a smoker. Love to be proven wrong.

If falong no smoke where no spose smoke - falong no need worry wai.gif

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1