Ehhiad Trip To/From The Uk.

Gladiator

Just for info.

Back from the UK to attend my daughter's wedding.

Managed to get a promotional fare on Ethiad.

Some comments. On-time performance spot-on.

Door-to- door about 24 hours.

Seat good. Lots of leg room and I am a big guy. In-flight entertainment - a personal screen on the seat in front of me and lots media to choose from.

Catering - no problem a choice of two entrays.

Bar service= minimal but it was Ramidan.

Had to wait for one hour for the case to appear at Terminal 4

Would I do it again? Yes. But if I had the dosh would fly Thai Airways non-stop

Working for Etihad I'm glad to hear you had a good trip. On flights to UK (Europe) depending on the time of day we actually offer 3 entrees. If a late night flight you are given a snack in a bag consisting of a bottle of water, bottle of juice, some desserts and a sandwich. This is so that you can go right to sleep and a full breakfast (3 choices) before arrival into Abu Dhabi. Snack service is available also throughout the flight available in the galley. Same set up for Abu Dhabi to Europe with a full meal upon take off and full breakfast upon arrival. During Ramadan between sunset to sunrise (middle east time) we do cover/hide the alcohol but it's available we just can't offer it but can be asked for.

Seating is depending on the aircraft. Our 777-300s is 3 4 3 which is what a lot of the airlines have switched too including Emirates. Qatar still uses the 3 3 3 layout which I agree is much more comfortable but the downside I feel is the transit in Doha which takes forever as no gates and is a bus transfer back and forth.

Airport at Abu Dhabi offers free wi-fi and free showers by the gates in various locations.

Eitihad for me every time, great service , no bloody buses ,thats why i changed from qatar to etihad .Emirates forget them , i flew from manchester to bangkok on cruches , i was taken to business lounge in dubai, wheelchair taken away along with crutches, left there no body came back for me as promised, missed my flight thewy left me in the lounge for 22 hours , when i complained i was told up to you to get to the gate. Eithad for me .

The only problem I have with Ethihad is Abu Dhabi airport and the connecting flight, time is usually quite tight between the arrival of the Bangkok flight and the departing London flight (and visa versa) and negotiating the security funnel in the middle is nightmarish.

Also, I know that Ethihad has my travel preferences recorded as always wanting to be seated next to unruly small children and crying babies but this is simply not the true but I don't know how to change things.

Edited by chiang mai

Working for Etihad I'm glad to hear you had a good trip. On flights to UK (Europe) depending on the time of day we actually offer 3 entrees. If a late night flight you are given a snack in a bag consisting of a bottle of water, bottle of juice, some desserts and a sandwich. This is so that you can go right to sleep and a full breakfast (3 choices) before arrival into Abu Dhabi. Snack service is available also throughout the flight available in the galley. Same set up for Abu Dhabi to Europe with a full meal upon take off and full breakfast upon arrival. During Ramadan between sunset to sunrise (middle east time) we do cover/hide the alcohol but it's available we just can't offer it but can be asked for.

Seating is depending on the aircraft. Our 777-300s is 3 4 3 which is what a lot of the airlines have switched too including Emirates. Qatar still uses the 3 3 3 layout which I agree is much more comfortable but the downside I feel is the transit in Doha which takes forever as no gates and is a bus transfer back and forth.

Airport at Abu Dhabi offers free wi-fi and free showers by the gates in various locations.

Does Etihad still do the hot pudding served separately after the main meal?.... I remember getting a hot apple crumble and it was excellent.. this was in Y.

Etihad flights have become quite expensive normally i pay around 500 quid for Coral Class Lon-bkk using discount search engines, for the past 2 months I cant find anything under 750gbp for Oct Dept!!!!...they are good but not that good

Etihad flights have become quite expensive normally i pay around 500 quid for Coral Class Lon-bkk using discount search engines, for the past 2 months I cant find anything under 750gbp for Oct Dept!!!!...they are good but not that good

Yesterday flights to the UK over Christmas on Etihad was coming up the cheapest at 34,000 inclusive of taxes while Emirates was 48,000, Thai was 53,000, Qatar 48,000. Keep checking regularly as the fares go up and down but Etihad usually comes out the cheapest of the better airliines. Not putting Air India, Sri Lankan, Aeroflot into the equation.

Does Etihad still do the hot pudding served separately after the main meal?.... I remember getting a hot apple crumble and it was excellent.. this was in Y.

Depends the sector flown. We still do serve Hagen Daaz ice cream and sweet snacks during the flight though.

• Like 1

The only problem I have with Ethihad is Abu Dhabi airport and the connecting flight, time is usually quite tight between the arrival of the Bangkok flight and the departing London flight (and visa versa) and negotiating the security funnel in the middle is nightmarish.

Also, I know that Ethihad has my travel preferences recorded as always wanting to be seated next to unruly small children and crying babies but this is simply not the true but I don't know how to change things.

Here's a tip about security. 1. If you are on a connecting flight with bags checked through we will not take off without you, (rarely) as we would have to off load your bags which takes a long while and are aware of security backlog, though 15 to 20 minutes is the worst during peak arrival times. 2. Instead of following the crowd to the right when you come down the stairs to get into the massive queue of 3 or 4 plane loads arriving at the same time go to the left as you come down the stairs which is fast track. Nobody checks and it just puts you into the front of the queue.

Regarding children if you request a seat in front of the cabin this is where the children are seated as we have the cribs to put on the bulkhead. Sit in the 2nd cabin of economy which is less likely to have kids.

• Like 1

In the 777 i usually book an aisle seat in the last rows. Because the plane gets narrow there and the configuration changes to an 2-3-2 layout. But you have to take the aisle seat in the window row, and only the first 2 rows behind the last 2-4-3 row. this gives you space for put out 1 or two legs without disturbing the aisle for cremembers and passing by passengers. If you can not select the seat during booking, try to call your local Etihad office. The german one is always helpful, except its an code share with airberlin :(

Bad airline expanded to quickly. Talking about this airline was banned on a pilot's forum (pprune) because it became too controversial.

Without prejudice, you have to thank Boeing Engineers and Designers that their aircraft stay airborne! Their ethos certainly does not contribute

If you have to fly a Middle Eastern airline then Qatar on the other hand is far better. Each to their own.

Edited by maprao

Bad airline expanded to quickly. Talking about this airline was banned on a pilot's forum (pprune) because it became too controversial.

Without prejudice, you have to thank Boeing Engineers and Designers that their aircraft stay airborne! Their ethos certainly does not contribute

If you have to fly a Middle Eastern airline then Qatar on the other hand is far better. Each to their own.

Given that Etihads fleet contains nearly 5 times more Airbus aircraft than Boeing shurely shome mishtake?

Without prejudice of course..wai.gif

http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/etihad/sa/en/experienceetihad/pages/ourfleet.aspx

Given that Etihads fleet contains nearly 5 times more Airbus aircraft than Boeing shurely shome mishtake?

Without prejudice of course..wai.gif

http://www.etihadair...s/ourfleet.aspx

I apologize to the the Airbus Engineers and Designers for not giving them credit where credit is due.clap2.gif

• Like 1

Depends the sector flown. We still do serve Hagen Daaz ice cream and sweet snacks during the flight though.

Kudos to Etihad for this.

Hate getting halfway through a long flight and being told they have no pretzels or sweets etc available as a snack...even in biz class. Poor service on many airlines over something very simple.

Emirates was the worst for us and it was a brand new A380 Airbus.

Loads of complaints on line about food poisining.

We had a 7 hour break in our flight where my wife was put on a drip given lots of different pils and nearly died from the prawns in our starters.

She was breastfeeding our youngest at the time, total nightmare- NEVER AGAIN.

Trying to complain to them is like banging your head against a wall.

Emirates was the worst for us and it was a brand new A380 Airbus.

Loads of complaints on line about food poisining.

We had a 7 hour break in our flight where my wife was put on a drip given lots of different pils and nearly died from the prawns in our starters.

She was breastfeeding our youngest at the time, total nightmare- NEVER AGAIN.

Trying to complain to them is like banging your head against a wall.

The food in first class was almost as bad. Nice planes but awful service and terrible transfers. I avoid them.

Have flown all three MEA over last 7 years and in my opinion QATAR are the best. Only problem as you say is Doha Airport however

this should be resolved within the next few months with the opening of the new airport in Doha.

I'm flying to Europe with Ethiad on Tuesday. I'm a bit worried over the comments about the food now.

I've flown with Qatar before who I rate very highly and I've used Emirates twice. I would never go anywhere with Emirates again unless there was no possible other option. Rude ignorant staff, both times I flew with them I was delayed, 30 hours last time and bussed from Birmingham Airport to Manchester. No meal provided, no offer of compensation and no refund for the connecting flight I missed here in Thailand. Never again whilst there are other options! I would rather fly with Biman Airways again lol (not recommended either).

I'm flying business class this time which is a first for me and I'm hoping it will be a good experience.

The only downside to Ethiad I have seen so far is that they bombard you with unnecessary promotional emails sometimes more than once a week.

I'm flying to Europe with Ethiad on Tuesday. I'm a bit worried over the comments about the food now.

I've flown with Qatar before who I rate very highly and I've used Emirates twice. I would never go anywhere with Emirates again unless there was no possible other option. Rude ignorant staff, both times I flew with them I was delayed, 30 hours last time and bussed from Birmingham Airport to Manchester. No meal provided, no offer of compensation and no refund for the connecting flight I missed here in Thailand. Never again whilst there are other options! I would rather fly with Biman Airways again lol (not recommended either).

I'm flying business class this time which is a first for me and I'm hoping it will be a good experience.

The only downside to Ethiad I have seen so far is that they bombard you with unnecessary promotional emails sometimes more than once a week.

Don't worry. Even in economy Etihad food is edible....in biz its good. You will enjoy the flight.

My only complaint would be the narrow seating in biz but a very minor quibble that is.

I am not in full agreement with you about Etihad Airways flights to Bangkok via Abu Dhabi being as good as you say. They have become greedy with their pricing policy and have shortened the life of their airmiles which, if you are trying to save for free or cheaper flights, is so so annoying. I am going back to BKK in September from Manchester. As always I give Etihad a try first but they are way too expensive now. You have to try to book during the 'deals' because other times they are just too expensive.

I am going both ways with Qatar this time and there was at least £100 saving on Etihad prices. I have been with Qatar before and just as good if not better than Etihad. I do not think I shall use Emirates again. Tight with their 'beverages' and uncaring stewards I thought. Now its Qatar for me and the 23,000 saved up airmiles with Etihad, well I shall just have to spend it on rubblsh.

and the 23,000 saved up airmiles with Etihad, well I shall just have to spend it on rubblsh.

I agree that these Gulf-based airlines seem to be cheap/generous when getting established, then appear to move the goalposts and raise their prices, once they've stolen enough price-sensitive passengers from the fly-direct airlines.

This must simply be part of their business-model, they can't fly at-a-loss forever, although as paying-customers, we wish that they would !

FWIW I used my expiring-airmiles with Etihad a few years back, to 'buy' a small backpack which was on their list of 'goodies', and was very pleased with the quality of what I eventually received. smile.png

Oh well,

I suppose that we all have to take as we find.

As mentioned I am a big guy... maybe 6ft 1in and I had plenty of room in the seat and legroom. Both on the B777 and the Airbus.

These days, although I do not worry about DVT - I do consider it. Although the overall journey is longer, the opportunity to get off and stretch my legs for an hour, have a cup of coffee provides some relief.

The meal service BKK-AUH was a choice of scrambled eggs breakfast or Pad Thai noodles. AUH-LHR lamb biriyani or pan seared chicken with mashed potatoes and stir fried vegetables. There was a filled-roll sandwich or a danish pastry upon request.

I worked for an international airline for some 30 years and am somewhat distressed as to how Terminal Three - LHR has become so difficult to arrive and depart. Terminal 4 was quite a refreshing comparison. I am not sure as to how stands are allocated but on arrival we were placed at the gate next to Immigration. A few years ago I had the eye scan so I was processed through in minutes. Again as mentioned the baggage delivery time was unsatisfactory but perhaps due to the third party ground handler and not Ethiad. When departing again we were at a gate close to admittance to the Departure lounge.

The flight entertainment system was great with many movies to choose from including many old favourites - 'Rewind'.

The promotional fare that I manged to get was half of the price of TG. No doubt it will be more in High Season.

As a by-the-way I used the Grace Residence Hotel close to Suvanabhumi. I booked though my own company so managed to get a rate of 600 baht but their internet rate is 700 Baht, which includes collection and return to the airport. Comfortable, Aircon and satelite TV.

Gladiator

Thanks for comments back. I do not want to be unfair to Etihad and I hope they become competitive again in the future.

As for LHR London Heathow, whatever Terminal, A to Z. Just avoid the whole place! Much more pleasant flying from Birmingham or Manchester. Worth the trip up-country a tad unless, of course, you are in the South then perhaps not feasible.

Thanks for comments back. I do not want to be unfair to Etihad and I hope they become competitive again in the future.

As for LHR London Heathow, whatever Terminal, A to Z. Just avoid the whole place! Much more pleasant flying from Birmingham or Manchester. Worth the trip up-country a tad unless, of course, you are in the South then perhaps not feasible.

I prefzr to fly to Amsterdam and on from there.

Great airport! :)

• Like 2