What'S The Difference

seadoo

eSATA plugs into the External Serial ATA connector.

USB plugs into the USB connector.

Almost every computer device has a USB connector.

Mainly only desktop/tower PC units have an eSATA connector.

(Often USB hard drives have SATA hard drives inside connected to a SATA/USB interface)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Hmmm ok, I want to connect an external hard drive I have Seagate 3TB which has its own power supply to the back of the True Visions box to record shows can this be done simply plugging into the USB port instead of the Sata ports?

Hmmm ok, I want to connect an external hard drive I have Seagate 3TB which has its own power supply to the back of the True Visions box to record shows can this be done simply plugging into the USB port instead of the Sata ports?

No, I don't think it will work, the handbook for the receiver specifically excludes using the USB connection for video recording probably due to the USB interface being USB1.

Can't hurt to try mind.

I believe that USB 3.0 is just as fast as eSATA, if not faster. (On my PC USB 3.0 transfer rate is >100MB/s)

I don't know any external hard disk which connects to the PC (or the TrueVisions HD Box) through eSATA. What you have to do is to mount an internal hardd disk into a case which then connects via eSATA to the PC (or TrueVisions HD Box).

It is very unfortunate that True with its monopoly can force us to use outdated technology. Any modern device which comes on the market today has or should have a USB 3.0 port. Such an external Hard disk can then be bought for 2,700 THB for 500 GB. Instead True forces us to buy their eSATA device for 4,700 THB.