Graphite And Teflon Chain Lubes Anyone?

KRS1

Interesting experiment. I am dreaming of clean chains too. I guess every biker does.

Maybe teflon chain oil is OK in dry conditions but i guess it will wash out in rain quickly. Maybe better dry up the chain with an old t-shirt after rain and apply fresh oil. I guess it will start rusting soon if you don't. The oil that collects the most dirt is usually the oil that doesn't get washed out in rain. Sad but true. But i am no expert in motorbike chains. More in bicycles.

And maybe you should check if the chain is getting hotter than normal under load or high speed. Don't know. Just my 2 cents smile.png

Edited by wantan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the reality in all this is that commercially available motorcycle chain lube when applied correctly as per user instructions, will adhere mostly for a high chain speed, high load pressure application.

Teflon MTB chain lubes are designed for low chain speed, low load pressure applications. Even with cold adhesion applications there won't be a huge chance of fling off to any extent, providing chain speed @ load isn't increased dramatically.

Sent from my iPhone 3 using ThaiVisa app

I use gear oil on my bikes now. It's super cheap and highly effective but it flings a bit so you need to wipe off the mess now and then - no big deal, they're not show bikes in my case.

All the expensive stuff I was using before just left the chain dry and rusty looking if the bikes were parked for a couple of weeks (mine are unfortunately). The OEM's recommend gear oil and I can see why, it just works really well.

• Like 1

This teflon stuff i think is designed for motorcycles since it says oring (MT bike chains have orings ?) safe and has a picture of a motorcycle on it. But who knows, it could just be for marketing purposes.

Technically teflon should repel water and moisture so should ward off rust, im 15 minutes away from the pacific ocean right now so the air is relatively salty.

I'll check chain temperature today, i know the chain lube i was using before kept the chain surprisingly cool to the touch, after about 7 miles it wasnt even close to being hot.

This is the stuff i was using before, ok stuff but only lasted for 500 miles and stinks like insecticide plus it's a dirt magnet.

lube.jpg

Edited by KRS1

just took a little spin about 5 miles, couldnt really get on it, only drove about 45 mph but the chain wasn't hot, i could hold it easily. Compared to a totally dry chain, its much cooler.

the chain itself doesnt feel greasy, feels more like a piece of unglazed pottery, as far as dirt so far...looks just like the day i put the teflon on, no additional dirt on it.

I'll keep an eye on any additional chain stretch, this is on a sv 650 with medium, hard acceleration with alot of clutching in city traffic and lots of lane splitting so it's getting more stress than regular driving.

Edited by KRS1

370 miles so far, the chain still feels the same the first day i put the teflon lube on. It may have gotten very slightly dirtier, i cant really tell but it's much cleaner than petro lube though.

Surprisingly fuel mileage has dropped, i usually get 140 miles with regular lube when the fuel light starts blinking, now i am getting 130 miles when the light comes on. (verified with 2 tanks of gas)...

Im struggling to see the benefit vs regular lube, atleast dirt isnt clinging on.

Edited by KRS1

Experimentation could be a good thing!

I remember when my youngest brother claimed he could ride the old man's Bessa Bantam across the main irrigation channel. Evil Keivel was big at the time. Anyway, we all gathered around brothers sister and the neighbours kids. With a pile of dirt made into a ramp young Shane went boring up and over only to have the back wheel clip the other side, slapping the front wheel down so hard young Shanny lost the plot and went flying! I don't think he rode much after that. It only loosened a few teeth and gave him a few loverly bruises for a few days.

Experimentation, great when it leads to success. Not so great when it all goes pear shaped!

Oh, what happened to the old Bantam? Well we pushed it back up to the shed and fixed it ourselves. The were half a dozen others there in various states so we had a supply of parts on hand. Lucky, ay!

• 2 weeks later...

ok got back from a 200 mile trip yesterday. Went to the store this morning and the chain was clicking, clacking and making every noise you can possibly imagine. The chain had the same black gunk/dirt that wouldve been on it with regular chain lube, but much drier, spots of rust starting to form also.

When that teflon/wax breaks down it leaves dust or something on it and just dries everything out and ends up a lot worse than a dry chain. I'm not going to use this stuff again, the noise from the chain was probably the worse i have ever heard in my life.

So i wiped the chain clean with wd-40, went for a ride to burn off the wd-40 and applied regular chain lube (liquid wrench) Bike feels a lot smoother with good old regular lube compared to that teflon crap. Total miles on teflon coated chain was 880 miles, teflon lube was applied twice. Second application was at 380 miles.

Seen some magnetic graphite spray today, anyone want me to try it ? lol

Edited by KRS1

ok got back from a 200 mile trip yesterday. Went to the store this morning and the chain was clicking, clacking and making every noise you can possibly imagine. The chain had the same black gunk/dirt that wouldve been on it with regular chain lube, but much drier, spots of rust starting to form also.

When that teflon/wax breaks down it leaves dust or something on it and just dries everything out and ends up a lot worse than a dry chain. I'm not going to use this stuff again, the noise from the chain was probably the worse i have ever heard in my life.

So i wiped the chain clean with wd-40, went for a ride to burn off the wd-40 and applied regular chain lube (liquid wrench) Bike feels a lot smoother with good old regular lube compared to that teflon crap. Total miles on teflon coated chain was 880 miles, teflon lube was applied twice. Second application was at 380 miles.

Sounds not good. Have you done some riding in the rain? Or always dry weather conditions? I guess this teflon stuff has to be applied much more often. Maybe every 300km in dry conditions and after every ride in the rain? Don't know. But Dupont itself recommends to use it very often if i remember right.

Seen some magnetic graphite spray today, anyone want me to try it ? lol

I am sure you will do it, can you resist?

thumbsup.gif

Edited by wantan

Always rode in dry weather, except for 15 minutes in light drizzle. What it does to the chain when it dries up is worrisome. I've never had a chain pop, click, clack and thunk this loud before.

Lubed it up and all the sounds disapeared. Chain was kinked pretty badly. It was almost like it baked the chain or something.

KRS1 - can I ask where you buy "liquid wrench", my chain lube just ran out and was maybe going to try it - located in Pattaya

After my adventures with hinky motorcycle chains (Goat Mountain trip) I bought some Motul in the Kawasaki dealership. Works really well if a bit expensive.

KRS1 - can I ask where you buy "liquid wrench", my chain lube just ran out and was maybe going to try it - located in Pattaya

sorry man, im still in the US right now and its everywhere over here.

Maybe look into those little cans of veloil chain lube, im pretty sure Chiang Rai saddle bags mails them out, although they are higher priced than usual.

8oz Mercury outboard grease is about 250 baht.

Good stuff.

post-63954-0-08152600-1346167079_thumb.j

I'm with you on this one I have been using Mercury Outboard grease for some time now . It works awesome & lubricates well. It is as messy as any other chain lube but very cheap in comparison to chin lubes. My other choice is chain Foam in the U.S. but costs more is just as messy & you go through a lot of it in a year opposed to a 8 oz. bottle of Merc grease.

On anoter not I have always heard that either WD-40 or Liquid wrench is really more of a solvent & not a lube. I personally only would use either as a way to clean the chain & not as a lube. The ingrediants are the same as a solvent & not the same as gear oil outboard grease or motor oil.

Edited by Beardog

Liquid wrench has many types of products.

The Liquid Wrench product I am using is specifically for use on chains.

I cant seem to find chain lube from any manufacturer that can exceed 500 miles.

8oz Mercury outboard grease is about 250 baht.

Good stuff.

post-63954-0-08152600-1346167079_thumb.j

I'm with you on this one I have been using Mercury Outboard grease for some time now . It works awesome & lubricates well. It is as messy as any other chain lube but very cheap in comparison to chin lubes. My other choice is chain Foam in the U.S. but costs more is just as messy & you go through a lot of it in a year opposed to a 8 oz. bottle of Merc grease.

On anoter not I have always heard that either WD-40 or Liquid wrench is really more of a solvent & not a lube. I personally only would use either as a way to clean the chain & not as a lube. The ingrediants are the same as a solvent & not the same as gear oil outboard grease or motor oil.

If your running "O" ring chain I would avoid any sort of penetrating oil. For the first 3/4 of an "O" ring chains life the grease that's trapped behind the "O" ring will do it's job....as long as you don't wash it out. The last 1/4 of it's life maybe, maybe not! Wash you chain on the sprockets with a kerosene soaked rag so you can see if the rings are cracking and/or falling away.

Agree with BSJ. As an o-ring chain is internally-lubed, I believe any owner-applied lube is only needed to prevent surface rust and maybe to prevent seizing the pin-to-plate rivets. So WD-40 should be fine, and it doesnt attract dirt like sticky chain lube does.

Edited by bbradsby

• 4 months later...

I like these chain lube discussions. And discussions about motor oil. Everyone is right and wrong and maybe not wink.png

Oh, forgot to mention it. I use "Sonax KettenSpray" that i got from Carrefour a year ago. Good stuff.

I was just looking at that stuff today at a small auto products shop, pretty cheap too. It says something in German about O-rings on

the can, most likely that it is good vs not good for o-rings. I should have taken a photo of it and asked my European friends, but I

thought I would just go back and buy it later. They had a cheap Sonax Chain Cleaner there too, I think both of them would have been

around 300 baht total!

The absolute best chain lube I have found is SX Chain wax O ring safe Locks out sand & dirt & does not sling all over the chaingaurd tire & sprokets(very little splatters) I picked a can up in the states .in Nov. I wish I would have picked up 3 or 4. Each application lasts about a month. I like that it works well & does not stay built up needing to remove later. Amazing stuff. Super popular in America now. And if you live near the coast it keeps out sand great.

It actually works as great lube in general - but I don't want to waste it on other projects. So KSR1 if you are in the states coming up try a can of this stuff it works awesome!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Usually 5 baht half the time, the other half of the time free.

Couldnt do this back in the US though, and would have to resort back to buying some type of lube.

I think i'll make one of those chain oilers, cant be to hard, just a bottle a hose and a valve...just have to find a valve that isnt too big and ugly.

Maybe use vacuum instead, like when you stick a straw in a bottle and pull it out with your finger on top and there will be liquid inside, release your finger and the liquid comes out.

Sounds like a project !

Anyone have an idea for a small valve?

Edited by KRS1