Just Finished 12 Months With Non-Immigrant "O" Visa, Can I Get Another "Straight Away" In Uk?

OK, I was issued a one-year multiple entry non-immigrant "O" visa in the UK last year for family reasons i.e. being close to my Thai son, even though I am divorced from his mother for several years now.

So that went fine, I have been in Thailand for 12 months no problem, spent 4 months with my son when his school is closed. I was hoping for an "extension of stay" for a further year based on helping raise my son (he stays with me 4 months a year plus I pay all school fees, blah blah blah), but the lady at immigration in Chiang Mai advised me this wasn't a valid reason for the extension of stay. I would need to have custody of the child and for reasons we won't get it, that's never going to happen over my live body.

So ..... she suggested I could go back to the UK and just "repeat the same exercise" i.e. get a new one-year multiple entry non-immigrant O visa in the UK.

I was just wondering if anyone had done that, got two multiple-entry visas "back to back" and without issue?

Its not a long-term solution for me, too expensive for a start, but for this coming year, I really want to be in Thailand most of the year so I don't really want to be mucking around with tourist visas etc.

Not the most helpful of answers, but here I go; I am aware that the consulates in UK have been tightening up on multi-entry visas (during the year that you have had yours), best advice for this time is to take as much paperwork and proof of care as you can and hope that the consulate sees that you are 'caring' for your child as much as you can and that a multi-entry visa is the most appropriate. Should you only get a single entry, you can always extend for 60 days at immigration here in Bangkok.

I am sure that someone with a more precise knowledge will come along, but I am pretty sure the gist of my reply is correct :-)

• Like 1

Edit: Believe you will be able to obtain - have not seen any reports of doing a second time being an issue. I read below to mean either birth certificate or legal custody would allow issue of multi entry visa - most places near Thailand only seem to issue single entry.

1) Visiting Thai child living in Thailand

Evidence required

a) Birth Certificate of child showing relationship

b ) Proof of having legal custody of the child

Please note that either a single or multiple entry visa can be granted in these circumstances

What is the enter before date on the visa. I the multi O is still valid you can do a border crossing two days before the enter before date and get a further 90 days making the Multi O last 15 months.

Already done the 15 months :)

Edit: Believe you will be able to obtain - have not seen any reports of doing a second time being an issue. I read below to mean either birth certificate or legal custody would allow issue of multi entry visa - most places near Thailand only seem to issue single entry.

Evidence required

Please note that either a single or multiple entry visa can be granted in these circumstances

I do not have legal custody of the child. If I did, I would have been able to get the 1-year extension of stay today at the immigration office in Chiang Mai no problem and saved myself the cost of a trip back to the UK.

What I do have (and provided last year) was all the other stuff, including original birth certificate, marriage and divorce papers from wife, plus letters from child, and his step-sister outlining all I do for them whilst I am in Thailand, and in the case of the step-daughter, done for her for the last 18 years. So I hope that is enough, I'm happy to "wait and see" though if its only a single-entry, that's not much more use than a tourist visa really ..... ?!?

But anyway, I've made my mind up to go back to the UK and "give it a go" - was just really "curious" if "back-to-back" multiple entry visas were a particular issue anyone had come across when applying from the UK.

I've actually applied to several embassies in the UK for various visas, normally by post. It seems some are "better" than others. If anyone has current info on "good embassies in the UK to apply to", and doesn't want to post on forum, I'd be happy to read in PM :))

Not the most helpful of answers, but here I go; I am aware that the consulates in UK have been tightening up on multi-entry visas (during the year that you have had yours), best advice for this time is to take as much paperwork and proof of care as you can and hope that the consulate sees that you are 'caring' for your child as much as you can and that a multi-entry visa is the most appropriate. Should you only get a single entry, you can always extend for 60 days at immigration here in Bangkok.

I am sure that someone with a more precise knowledge will come along, but I am pretty sure the gist of my reply is correct :-)

When you say "single-entry", that's 90 days is it? And I could get that extended for a further 60 days?

Evidence required

Just got another NON O,based on this a few months back,you DO NOT have to be married.

PST.

When you say "single-entry", that's 90 days is it? And I could get that extended for a further 60 days?

A single entry is 90 days. Yes you could extend it for 60 days at immigration.

You may not have to go all the way back to UK. You should be able to hop thai border and then request visa from a friendly UK [honorary] consulate by mail? Although as bigt has suggested, some of the consulates are a bit stricter about why they will issue a multiple entry visa. Or some consulates will not issue visas to people who mail their passports from overseas address.

yes. Someone else will have to comment on the 60 day extension. As you have figured out, for visas and especially extensions of stay, the reason for staying determines how long of extension you qualify for, and how much requirements (documents) you need to qualify. I am interested in a 60 day extension due to having a thai child.

Edited by 4evermaat

You may not have to go all the way back to UK. You should be able to hop thai border and then request visa from a friendly UK [honorary] consulate by mail? Although as bigt has suggested, some of the consulates are a bit stricter about why they will issue a multiple entry visa. Or some consulates will not issue visas to people who mail their passports from overseas address.

yes. Someone else will have to comment on the 60 day extension. As you have figured out, for visas and especially extensions of stay, the reason for staying determines how long of extension you qualify for, and how much requirements (documents) you need to qualify. I am interested in a 60 day extension due to having a thai child.

Most UK embassys will have the 'evidence required' details on the consulate websites,some are adhered to more than others,i've used 3 different ones with no problems,this time i used a different one,as i was in that area at the time.

A copy of my childs birth certificate was required for my NON O.

PST.

• Like 1