Can Anyone Help Me With Setup Of C-Band Psi Dish/Ku Lnb + Truevisions?

angryfarang

I've had the local thai installers here from a few hours and in the end they left saying they will come back next week (yeah right....)

So I've decided to try and sort it out myself. Can anyone give me some advise?

I had a 1.8m C-Band PSI dish installed and fitted this LNB:

http://www.9sats.com/product/product.detail.php?&cat=54&id=773

They couldn't pick up any signal at all on it. I checked they had connected it to the Ku band connector (the very top one) and they have, but no signal.

However, I think I can see the problem already. They have installed it next to my current truevision dish. My truevision dish is pointing at one angle and the new 1.8m dish is pointing at a completely different angle. I asked them if they should both point the same way as they're connecting to the same satellite and he told me they shouldn't because the ku band is off-set. Hmmm......

Please help.

A few thoughts that may help

Ku band dishes are usually offset, so will point differently from the C-band dish for the vertical angle (elevation)

but the horizontal angle (azimuth) should be the same.

Are you getting any C-band signal?

That will be a check that the dish is correctly aligned.

Is the cable being selected correctly by the receiver for Ku band

http://www.uksatellitehelp.co.uk/2007/08/01/the-perfect-satellite-dish-alignment-a-how-to-guide/

Astral. Thanks for the reply!

They installed the dish with both the horizontal and vertical positioning different. I have used dishpointer.com to get the horizontal angle right. I guess I will need to play around with the vertical angle.

The only way I have of tuning this is by plugging the cable directly in to my truevisions HD decoder and praying for a signal. The cable goes from my decoder to the top coax socket of the LNB which is for the Ku Band.

However, one problem I have is that I don't know how the LNB should fit the mounting bracket. I guess there are two different configurations to consider:

1.) What angle it should be rotated to.

2.) How deep the LNB sits within the bracket (i.e. how close it is to the dish surface)

I will take a look at the link you posted. Thank you.

angryfarang,

Just a few suggestions;

On dishpointer.com you were given the azimuth, elevation, and skew angle for your location.

Standing in front of your dish, facing it, hand on the LNB, adjusting the skew angle is minus, when the LNB is turned clockwise from vertical. And, conversely, positive when turning counterclockwise.

What is vertical for the LNB? Well, my experience, with your type of LNB, is there is an arrow on the LNB casing. That arrow probably represents vertical. And, rotating clockwise/counterclockwise will give you the skew required. Suggestion; make some marks on the casing with a lead pencil, to start.

That said, my experience also, adjusting the skew on this type of LNB takes more time. Because, the arrow mark on the casing may not represent vertical. (It seems, some manufacturers may preset marks for certain satellites, in certain areas.) So, skew tweaking will require more time.

Focal length adjustment can be made after you get a signal. Tweak up/down in about one centimeter increments.

Also, check the dish configuration on your receiver. ku LNB setting should be 11,300.

Welcome to satellite tv.

Cheers