Attention: Mexican Food Lovers (Burito House)

daeng1212

I live in Payao, but when I'm in Chiangmai, there are 2 places I rarely fail to eat at - Subway and Burito House. Burito House is on the top floor of Pantip Plaza, and it seems to me that not many people know about it, as there usually aren't very many customers when I'm there. I once ate at a Mexican restaurant on one of the canal roads (I think it was called "Miguel's"), and the food wasn't good at all. The food at Burito House is much, much better. I decided to do this post because I'm kind of afraid that the woman who runs it will have to close it if business doesn't improve (though she hasn't told me that per se). So for anyone in Chiangmai who likes good Mexican food and doesn't know this place, give it a try. And Pantip Plaza is air-conditioned - another plus.

P.S. Some of the dishes are a little bland (but the flavor of the food is excellent), especially after getting used to Thai food, so just add the free salsa and some salt; but watch out for the salt shakers - the salt comes out very fast. (I usually pour some into my hand and then sprinkle it on the food.)

• Like 1

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love Mexican food and will check it out. If you don't know about Salsa Kitchen across from the Shell gas station near Central Mall on Huay Gaew Road, check them out too. They do a very consistent job on an interesting variation on Mexican food and it is one of those restaurants I would miss if you ever closed down. Worth checking out next time you are in the big city.

• Like 1

I havn't tried that place yet but I've read some good thing about this place, I absolutely feel the same

I decided to do this post because I'm kind of afraid that the woman who runs it will have to close it if business doesn't improve

If I could also throw my 2 cents in for Mexican Food, Kat House On Chiayapoom Soi 1, North East corner of the mote about 100 meters in. If you see the old brick Chedi it is right across the street (north side of street) Soi 1 runs one way toward the mote so you have to come in a different way. The owner used to be somewhere else and moved there recently. Its a tiny place but the owner Jackie is a super nice lady and she makes her tortillas from scratch every morning. She also bakes her own bread every day and offers sandwiches as well. Limited menu, casadias, burritos and such, most Items are 85 Baht and comes with salad. Food is fresh and good and Jackie is a great host. Tell her what you want and she will adjust her menu if she can.

So after you have tried the place in Pantip you can check out Kat House . . . and in American slang "cat house" means something else entirely, but I don't think the owner knows this and I'm not going to tell her . . . .

• Like 1

I am going to have to check Pantip out for Quesadios (or something like that) I love the burrito and the wife likes Quesadios. Never thought to check there generally she wants to go to Miguel's. The last time she wanted to go there I remembered Dukes had them and suggested we try there. She preferred Dukes. Now maybe I can get her to try out the one in Pantip Plaza. They make the best Burritos. Never even considered looking for Quesadio. For Nachos I prefer Miguel's.

• Like 1

If I could also throw my 2 cents in for Mexican Food, Kat House On Chiayapoom Soi 1, North East corner of the mote about 100 meters in. If you see the old brick Chedi it is right across the street (north side of street) Soi 1 runs one way toward the mote so you have to come in a different way. The owner used to be somewhere else and moved there recently. Its a tiny place but the owner Jackie is a super nice lady and she makes her tortillas from scratch every morning. She also bakes her own bread every day and offers sandwiches as well. Limited menu, casadias, burritos and such, most Items are 85 Baht and comes with salad. Food is fresh and good and Jackie is a great host. Tell her what you want and she will adjust her menu if she can.

So after you have tried the place in Pantip you can check out Kat House . . . and in American slang "cat house" means something else entirely, but I don't think the owner knows this and I'm not going to tell her . . . .

Is this the place? http://cathouse-cm.com/

Is this the place? http://cathouse-cm.com/

Yes that is it. The map is completely wrong as that is her old location. For some reason I thought she spelled Cat with a "K" and I didn't know she had a website. As I said they have quite a few Mexican dishes now, and the "Lao style" chicken sandwich on fresh baked bread is awesome!

tortillas from scratch? sounds good, i'll try it when i get back.

tortillas from scratch? sounds good, i'll try it when i get back.

Corn or flour big difference

If you like the Mexican food at Miguels, El Diablos, or Salsa Kitchen, you will be extremely disappointed at the Panthip Plaza place.

And then for Miguels, the downtown location is kind of sucky in that it's cramped, no airconditioning and no service to speak of. (Need to queue up and order, like a cheapo fastfood place). Their 89 Plaza location is *MUCH* better in that sense, in that you get treated like an actual person visiting a restaurant.

• Like 2

IMO Miguel's is by far the best Mexican restaurant in town and one of the best in Thailand (although it would be just mediocre in California). Some of the other places have some fairly tasty dishes, but they always seems like an imitation of Mexican dishes to me.

• Like 2

And then for Miguels, the downtown location is kind of sucky in that it's cramped, no airconditioning and no service to speak of. (Need to queue up and order, like a cheapo fastfood place).

They no longer have the order at the counter system. Now you order from the table. Actually I kind of preferred it the old way.

• Like 1

Every time I've been in Panthip Plaza, there has never been a soul in that place. Not being a fan of restaurant's that are continuously empty, I always give it a miss, wondering how fresh anything can be?

As I was waiting for a machine to be built in Pantip about a week ago, I decided to check this place out. I too noticed it was always empty and now I understand why.

Being Mexican myself, I found the food to be just so-so at best. No where near as good as Miguels. And the prices were very high in comparison to the portions.

I'm not sure how this place has managed to stay open this long. But with the combination of bad location and low quality overpriced food, I'm not sure how they could possibly stay open much longer.

Miguels continues to be the best Mexican food option in town.

-Mestizo

I stopped by the Pantip place a few weeks ago and remember it as ok. It was a different concept than Miguel's but a decent change. As Mestizo said, the portions were very small for the price. I hope she can stay open but Miguel's is just a better meal and deal.

I like Miguel's but it strikes me as more west coast style Mexican (I'm from LA) and it would be great to get some good TexMex. Is there any place here that does that?

IMO Miguel's is by far the best Mexican restaurant in town and one of the best in Thailand (although it would be just mediocre in California). Some of the other places have some fairly tasty dishes, but they always seems like an imitation of Mexican dishes to me.

I think you have got to the center of the controversy. I know for my self depending on what I want I will go to three different Mexican restaurants. And because I do not like a certain item on there menu I will not condemn the whole place. If I have tried many of the items I might condemn the whole place but there is very few places I have done that to.

A good example is Dukes. There are more than one item I do not care for but to me it is still my favorite Gringo restaurant. There are enough Items on the menu that I really enjoy. If I was to judge them on there Ribs I would not go back. That is not saying they are bad I just don't care for them. When My boy get's here the first place he want's to go is the Dukes on the river and get there ribs.

Every time I've been in Panthip Plaza, there has never been a soul in that place. Not being a fan of restaurant's that are continuously empty, I always give it a miss, wondering how fresh anything can be?

As I was waiting for a machine to be built in Pantip about a week ago, I decided to check this place out. I too noticed it was always empty and now I understand why.

Being Mexican myself, I found the food to be just so-so at best. No where near as good as Miguels. And the prices were very high in comparison to the portions.

I'm not sure how this place has managed to stay open this long. But with the combination of bad location and low quality overpriced food, I'm not sure how they could possibly stay open much longer.

-Mestizo

What if you wanted real mexican food or Tex Mex as compared to West Coast Mexican.

I am not knocking Miguel's I go there for the best Nachos in town. But I am under no illusion that they are Mexican. Just based on some Mexican food.

-Mestizo

I stopped by the Pantip place a few weeks ago and remember it as ok. It was a different concept than Miguel's but a decent change. As Mestizo said, the portions were very small for the price. I hope she can stay open but Miguel's is just a better meal and deal.

She's been there since before I came here more than 5 years ago now. Hard to know how she stays open with so few customers. She worked at Taco Bell when she lived in America. That is where she got her experience in 'Mexican cooking'. She's friendly and I wish her well.

Miguels at 89 Plaza has decent atmosphere and good service, but the Mexican dishes are pretty unremarkable. The flour tortillas are particularly disappointing and need work. Burrito House is very mediocre and would be unlikely to survive in a more competitive market, like Southern California. Of the places I've sampled, I've found El Diablo to be the most flavorful and satisfying. The only problem is that parking can be a bit hard to come by, since it's right off the moat.

Has anyone tried Mexican night at the Duke's? On the whole, I've been very satisfied with their food and service, so I have hope that their Mexican night would be equally good. I keep meaning to go there, but it doesn't fit my schedule since it only happens once a week. I'd definitely be interested in hearing the thoughts of those who've tried it.

Also, I noticed the other day that there's a new Mexican joint just off the north side of the moat. Can't recall the name, but I believe the sign was white with brown lettering and listed some of the food they make. Seems like it only opened up a short while ago. Has anyone tried it?

If you like the Mexican food at Miguels, El Diablos, or Salsa Kitchen, you will be extremely disappointed at the Panthip Plaza place.

mm... Miguel's has always been great for me. pricing seems fair and portions okay..food tastes no different than what i buy in Las Vegas from the real mexicans... but OP seems to like subway as well, which is some of the most bland subs you could get when comparing them to other places in the States... so i guess no accounting for taste..

mm... Miguel's has always been great for me. pricing seems fair and portions okay..food tastes no different than what i buy in Las Vegas from the real mexicans... but OP seems to like subway as well, which is some of the most bland subs you could get when comparing them to other places in the States... so i guess no accounting for taste..

So, why is it the biggest franchise in the world? http://www.franchisedirect.com/blog/subway-is-the-worlds-biggest-franchise/

So, why is it the biggest franchise in the world? http://www.franchise...gest-franchise/

you think being huge and popular is synonymous with being delicious?

to humor you, part of the reason is because they are "healthy" / low calorie...and have spent millions on advertising that fact...excellent advertising and a great business model, along with some great price promotions is all you need. your food doesn't need to be at the top of the tasty category to be successful...

So, why is it the biggest franchise in the world? http://www.franchise...gest-franchise/

you think being huge and popular is synonymous with being delicious?

to humor you, part of the reason is because they are "healthy" / low calorie...and have spent millions on advertising that fact...excellent advertising and a great business model, along with some great price promotions is all you need. your food doesn't need to be at the top of the tasty category to be successful...

No need to humour me.

It must have something going for it.

I guess there's more than a few that would disagree with your assessment.

i just gave several reasons why they're doing so well.... it has everything to do with marketing...if you're looking for a low calorie option, yea subway is at the top of the list...it's not a BAD sub....but wouldn't come close to the top of the tastiest...unfortunately, not a lot of "chain" sub restaurants, so you'd have to compare it to a small time business who make real sub/grinder/hogies...

Why is Mickey D's the biggest burger joint? Certainly not for the quality of their burgers.