Your Legacy ... What Will You Have Done?

David48

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a teacher here in 1968. When a student would correctly answer a question I would throw them a ping pong ball. At the end of the class the student with the most ping pong balls got a prize. This is why Thais react with such frenzy when anyone throws them a ping pong ball today.

Didn't do them a lot of good at the Olympics though did it !

I don't think they have an event for ping pong ball catching at the Olympics. If they did I know I could put a team together and I know where to look for the members.

A sweet lovely resident of patpong threw a pig pong ball at my head, they are faster then the chinese because I didnt see her hands move, and she amazingly threw it from a sitting position, it also made a popping sound soI thinkit may have broken the sound barrier, they are certainly talented.

so talented in fact they tried to charge me 3000BHT for looking at her.

I told my wife that when I cash in to have me cremated and not to bother with the traditional Thai funeral. No party and no gambling or dancing girls. That wish was immediately met with the frosty answer that it wouldn't be up to me.

I then told her that I would like my ashes in the Gulf of Thailand and to take the urn to my Jomtien condo and flush the ashes down the toilet. That way I know they would make their way to the Gulf. She wasn't amused by that either.

I do take some satisfaction in that I have made her future a little brighter and that she will get along just fine without me.

no party and no dancing girls Gary? most probably you want us to bring our own booze? sick.gif

I often wonder about this myself.

The only contributions I have ever made to the world is help to increase it`s population.

I can’t see what difference it`s going to make or what affects it will have once I kick the bucket. Probably just be laid to memory within a month and life will carry on.

But who knows? Perhaps one day in the far distant future, one of my descendants may discover a cure for Aids or cancer, become Prime Minister of Thailand or invent some revolutionary new device that will help mankind.

The greatest people in the world all had insignificant ancestors, so maybe we all serve a purpose without actually realising it and our legacy is stored away in those who will follow after us for the future.

• Like 1

I am more interested in what I think of others, than what they think of me. coffee1.gif

My question has a completely different tact from your suggestion VF.

When I'm pushing up daisies, I care naught for the feelings and thoughts about me.

What I care to contribute is that something that I have made better in Thailand ... heck, there is an endless list to choose from.

My aspirations are not as lofty as Beetlejuice's above ... but I do wish to depart, leaving the world in a slightly better shape from whence I entered it.

I am more interested in what I think of others, than what they think of me. coffee1.gif

When I'm pushing up daisies, I care naught for the feelings and thoughts about me.

What I care to contribute is that something that I have made better in Thailand ... heck, there is an endless list to choose from.

My aspirations are not as lofty as Beetlejuice's above ... but I do wish to depart, leaving the world in a slightly better shape from whence I entered it.

I understand where you are coming from but I have a somewhat different perspective. What is that ecotourism saying about leaving nothing but footprints and taking away nothing but memories, or something to that effect?

I will leave behind no children, debts, discarded cigaret buts or beer cans, and hopefully no regrets. I am happy to leave others to their own devices as they blaze their own path. I do not hold strong convictions about what others should do or how they should do it.

My chosen path does not include smoking, drinking, gambling, physical or verbal abuse, or cheating on my partner but I never try to impose my lifestyle upon others. Even though I am a writer of sorts, I don’t imagine anyone but my wife will truly understand who I was or care, when I am gone.

Maybe I hope that I didn’t get in anyones way while I was enjoying my brief stay on this planet.

Interesting perspective, sad to see children grouped together with debts,cigarette butts, beer cans and regrets though, to most people they are the reason for living!

I understand where you are coming from but I have a somewhat different perspective. What is that ecotourism saying about leaving nothing but footprints and taking away nothing but memories, or something to that effect?

I will leave behind no children, debts, discarded cigaret buts or beer cans, and hopefully no regrets. I am happy to leave others to their own devices as they blaze their own path. I do not hold strong convictions about what others should do or how they should do it.

My chosen path does not include smoking, drinking, gambling, physical or verbal abuse, or cheating on my partner but I never try to impose my lifestyle upon others. Even though I am a writer of sorts, I don’t imagine anyone but my wife will truly understand who I was or care, when I am gone.

Maybe I hope that I didn’t get in anyones way while I was enjoying my brief stay on this planet.

Interesting perspective, sad to see children grouped together with debts,cigarette butts, beer cans and regrets though, to most people they are the reason for living!

Sorry but that is kind of how I see it. In my opinion, the world is littered with the results of mindless coupling. People give in to their hormones seemingly unable to resist biology. Maybe that is my legacy…I did not contribute to overpopulation.smile.png
  • Like 1

Nuffink. My missus will most likely peg out before me. And for the rest of the world it will be just the same as it is now, who the hell is GarryP.

That`s the same for most of us.

I'm nobody! Who are you?

Are you nobody, too?

Then there's a pair of us -don't tell!

They'd banish us, you know.

How dreary to be somebody! How public, like a frog To tell your name the livelong day To an admiring bog!

many farangs legacy in LOS will be the number of birds they have 'been with'!! along with all the dosh they have spent trying to keep a fine young filly 'occupied'!

Spoken like a true stud.... well done.

I do of course realise this may not be you, but what you have witnessed. scary, isn't it.

Edited by Thaddeus

• 1 year later...

Well, my legacy is on the increase ... I'm building a (shared) carport to house the car I bought 2 months ago.

So, more an increase in the infrastructure, rather then a legacy ... maybe they'll inscribe my name on a brick somewhere.

Well, my legacy is on the increase ... I'm building a (shared) carport to house the car I bought 2 months ago.

So, more an increase in the infrastructure, rather then a legacy ... maybe they'll inscribe my name on a brick somewhere.

But then again, so is the number who will benefit from your legacy, David... wink.png ...

You had better make sure that the pro rata legacy increases, as well as the overall pot..... tongue.png

• Like 1

I Just Want to Leave a Committed Life Behind

I think it’s safe to say that I see the world quite differently that of most people. I’m stubborn as hell or just stubborn enough according to my wife. I have issues with authority. If I lose interest in what you’re talking about, despite all sorts of effort, I’ll zone out. The list goes on and on.

Reflecting back on this last year, I keep thinking about the importance of leaving behind a legacy. Many people talk about this subject. But I think this idea needs to spread beyond the talking of people. Imagine if this was your legacy

He went to school

He got a job

He got promoted

He went to high school

He got a slightly better job

He got married

He had kids

He worked until he was 65

He Died.

It’s sad, but I think far too many people are not going to leave a legacy behind. I think there’s more to life than getting through a list. Think about how you’re going to leave your mark on the world. The world needs that from you and you need that from it. Food for thought.

• Like 1

well apart from leaving a smile on my wifes face when she thinks of me I have managed to create several new varieties of lillawadee(frangipan/plumeria) that are unique to me and I know they will be spread around the world long after I am dead and buried/done and dusted. This allows me to know that for as long as they grow and flower my creations will bring joy to others, what more could we ask for.

attachicon.gifPA010014 (Small).JPG

Any manes for the new varieties?

I like gardening also.

well apart from leaving a smile on my wifes face when she thinks of me I have managed to create several new varieties of lillawadee(frangipan/plumeria) that are unique to me and I know they will be spread around the world long after I am dead and buried/done and dusted. This allows me to know that for as long as they grow and flower my creations will bring joy to others, what more could we ask for.

attachicon.gifPA010014 (Small).JPG

Any manes for the new varieties?

I like gardening also.

the one pictured is Benjarong(it does have 5 colours in it), Golden Noi after my wife, Sahara, Stellar, Renegade, Dragon Eye, Gold Blush, Venous, Galaxy and Celestial plus several yet to have one listed for them and several I grew in Australia before moving here.