Rowdy Students Severely Beat High School Teacher: Samut Prakan

webfact

Students today. ummm. I remember when I was at school and got into a fight with another guy (just providing some entertainment for students during lunch) we were marched up to the Principals Office where we both got two of best on the palms with the strap. When we walked out of the office we were cult figures school yard heros before our fellow students and the school yard was ours for the afternoon. (incidently we became lifetime friends after that) We never ran home to tell the parents because we knew we would get six of best from mum or dad. What happened in school yard always stayed in the school yard.

If I had any kids, I always said that when they started school, I would tell their headmaster and teachers they could punish them if they were naughty, but if they ever beat them with a belt or cane they would answer to me. What I really mean is if they were male they would end up with a very sore face.

While clearly students shouldn't be beating up teachers for any reason the old saying "violence begets violence" comes to mind... what the hell is any teacher doing slapping children in the head?

And how about the old saying 'He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes'. (Proverbs 13:24)

Unfortunately parents reluctance to discipline has led to today's 'spoilt brat' society where a child thinks they can do anything if denied what they want. @Chooka talks about civilised societies but from world news I fail to see any of these. Today the news is full of rioting and looting everywhere and when caught on camera the majority appear to be youngsters.

I've lived in Thailand 10 years and I've never seen even one parent (sic) that discipline a kid for any reason. I live in a village full of teens and many need an old fashioned a$$ whippin. All they ever say is "he/she won't listen." This goes for any kid no matter what age, from babies to teens. I've always believed that a Thai kid raise him/her self. Parents refuse to be parents. Parents go off, many to another country and the kid is left to fend for him/her self with who ever will take them. Really sad. The end result is they grow up and be heatherns.

Can't be living in the same part as Thailand as me, I think it's being unfair to generalise that all Thai teens are rowdy and undisciplined. Something I never witnessed before until I came here was a teen throw themself (prostrate) at their parents' feet when being told off for wrong doing. Some of them do lead a rough life and unfortunately stray into bad behaviour and as I said do need some form of discipline. The gist of my other posts were the comments made that a slap administered for discipline purpose should be classified as assault - these people are obviously part of the ambulance chaser culture 'he hit me so I'm going to sue'. Unfortunatly in this case the little sh*ts brought a gang to pulverize the teacher.

No teacher has the right to slap a student. I thought corpral punishment was banned in civilised societies 40 yrs ago. However having said that the teacher didn't deserve to be set upon by a group of thugs. The best course of action for the students would have been to report it thier parents and then the students and parents take it up with the school principal. The teacher would face disciplinary action and possible criminal charges and very possibly dismissed by the education department.

Getting a gang of people to beat on an individual is a display of complete cowardice by all. It appears that the brother did not have the guts to go and speak to the teacher alone, (probably not his place to anyway) All they have achieved is transfering the aggressor into the victim.

Tell that to screw up Singapore schools that still use caning as a discipline measure!

Students today. ummm. I remember when I was at school and got into a fight with another guy (just providing some entertainment for students during lunch) we were marched up to the Principals Office where we both got two of best on the palms with the strap. When we walked out of the office we were cult figures school yard heros before our fellow students and the school yard was ours for the afternoon. (incidently we became lifetime friends after that) We never ran home to tell the parents because we knew we would get six of best from mum or dad. What happened in school yard always stayed in the school yard.

If I had any kids, I always said that when they started school, I would tell their headmaster and teachers they could punish them if they were naughty, but if they ever beat them with a belt or cane they would answer to me. What I really mean is if they were male they would end up with a very sore face.

A perfect example to support farangled argument that "violence begets violence"

Well since corporal punishment has been banned in many western countries now for many years, where are these kids learning their violent tendencies??

Part of my schooling (many years ago) was in NSW Australia, where canings were common. And part of my schooling was in Canada, where caning was considered a babaric pratice of a less enlightened age. I will say that my Australian school environment was much more violent than my Canadian one ... frequent bloody playground fights, assaults on teachers, etc. The other bizarre thing was that among the guys, it was a badge of honour to get a caning (especially a 'sixer'), and most of us felt proud to go through one occasionally ... if you passed a year without a caning, something was wrong with you and you were marginalised. As a result, you sometimes manufactured a situation to get a 'light' caning. Based on my unscientifiic experience--and yes, I know there are a lot of variables at play--I don't believe that corporal punishment in schools necessarily leads to better behaved students.

Yes, if anyone uses or threatens violence against me or my family, I would always and have, used violence on them, and no, I do not have a criminal record. In Thailand though, I would be a lot more careful for obvious reasons.

why does fight here always ended up like this? does the 14 and 15 year old kid really need to get his brother or whatever? the dude is in his 40s. does the thugs here even feel shame about that

No, they don't, because they are cowards.

Edited by Reasonableman
  • Like 2

Part of my schooling (many years ago) was in NSW Australia, where canings were common. And part of my schooling was in Canada, where caning was considered a babaric pratice of a less enlightened age. I will say that my Australian school environment was much more violent than my Canadian one ... frequent bloody playground fights, assaults on teachers, etc. The other bizarre thing was that among the guys, it was a badge of honour to get a caning (especially a 'sixer'), and most of us felt proud to go through one occasionally ... if you passed a year without a caning, something was wrong with you and you were marginalised. As a result, you sometimes manufactured a situation to get a 'light' caning. Based on my unscientifiic experience--and yes, I know there are a lot of variables at play--I don't believe that corporal punishment in schools necessarily leads to better behaved students.

If we put the arguments aside for a moment, I would ask who has got an answer to the problem because I sincerely don't believe the present system is working. Every day on the news there seems to be a report of students killing other students or members of the public, if it's not that it's this new trend of mobbing stores and looting everything in sight or rioting and taunting police and mugging passers-by. In many places firemen are afraid to tend fires because they are stoned by gangs of youths that probably started the fire in the first place. Respect and discipline has gone down the tubes somewhere.

why does fight here always ended up like this? does the 14 and 15 year old kid really need to get his brother or whatever? the dude is in his 40s. does the thugs here even feel shame about that

No, they don't, because they are cowards.

Yep to attack the teacher in a group and inflict the injuries they did is nothing more than the ultimate display of cowardice. I am sure they all patted each other on the back whilst commending each other on thier displays of heroism as they left. A huge adrenaline rush for this bold fearless band of noble warriors who with total disregard for thier own personal safety went forth to battle the beast, AKA the lone middle aged school teacher. Little did they know that a 40 kg female beast was lurking in the shadows but were they secombed by thier fears? No they battled on against the beasts to triumph against the odds.

The thing about this quotation is it is entirely out of context, if he's quoting Martin Luther King then the full saying is 'Hate begets hate; violence begets violence; toughness begets a greater toughness. We must meet the forces of hate with the power of love' and if going back further to the scriptures then the advice was to 'Turn the other cheek' none of which applies to these thugs.

No teacher has the right to slap a student. I thought corpral punishment was banned in civilised societies 40 yrs ago. However having said that the teacher didn't deserve to be set upon by a group of thugs. The best course of action for the students would have been to report it thier parents and then the students and parents take it up with the school principal. The teacher would face disciplinary action and possible criminal charges and very possibly dismissed by the education department.

Getting a gang of people to beat on an individual is a display of complete cowardice by all. It appears that the brother did not have the guts to go and speak to the teacher alone, (probably not his place to anyway) All they have achieved is transfering the aggressor into the victim.

Dismissed?? Maybe in the first world, coffee1.gif

If one of my children used bad language at school I would expect the teacher to inform me so that as a parent I could punish them accordingly. If I was informed that a teacher, or anyone else for that matter, had taken it upon themselves to assault any member of my family you better believe that I would respond appropriately.

Exactly. As well, just because some of you feel that hitting, slapping, and other forms of abuse are going to actually improve somebody's behaviour, doesn't mean it will. No doubt there are many irresponsible children out there who could use some discipline. As well, they need people they can look up to. If some yobbish headteacher gives his example of discipline by smacking youngsters on the head, how in the world is he to think that they will not learn from his example and do the same back? Possibly if he had been able to calm himself down and speak to them reasonably they would not have reacted in a violent way back to him.

There seem to be a lot of old timers on this board who love the idea of older men spanking, pinching and smacking boys to get them to behave. These same people also seem to revel about the times they were spanked and smacked and pinched as the "good old days". Quite curious!

I see Thai teachers hitting students all the time. The Thai students respond to this treatment. This idea didn't originate from foreigners.

I saw a news report this morning that the Government of Tonga is considering re introducing corporal punishment into it's schools. Apparently there has been an increase in assaults on teachers and rivalry between students of opposing schools that have resulted in injuries to students. Incidents like what is happening in Thailand and the subject of this thread.

Island of Tonga is a tough neighborhood, I almost moved there until I started reading the newspaper on line, beatings, stabbings, gunshot wounds - all on school grounds and in the barrios..........Parents are afraid of their kids as they live in a gang like arena, prisoners of their own environment. The 'Reform Schools' are run by former military, French trained, only perpetuate the problems, teen prostitution is rampant, average age is 13-16 yo...life expectancy in the barrio is about 25yo.........They need a heavy hand in their schools, and a tougher police force.........sad.png

The thing about this quotation is it is entirely out of context, if he's quoting Martin Luther King then the full saying is 'Hate begets hate; violence begets violence; toughness begets a greater toughness. We must meet the forces of hate with the power of love' and if going back further to the scriptures then the advice was to 'Turn the other cheek' none of which applies to these thugs.

Sorry but we all have access to Wikipedia, at least do us the courtesy of quoting them if you're going to copy the information verbatim...

It seems in your intent to try and come across knowledgeable you miss the point entirely... had the teacher simply "turned the other cheek" rather than getting physical this situation wouldn't have escalated out of control. Yet again, this doesn't condone the response he received but it was utterly predictable and a teacher should have known better. What he did, whether or not you prefer to pass it off as a "clip round the ear", is a criminal offence and from a person in authority that's not a great way to set an example for others, especially when you go on to condemn the youth for their criminal tendencies...

Violence begets violence is a common phrase and it's origins are pretty irrelevant to the message, perhaps you'd prefer the more modern equivalent phrase, violence breeds violence... It disturbs me that this is such a hard concept for people to understand but from someone who grew up in a society where drinking and fighting were common place the truth in it is fairly obvious. As soon as I removed myself from a violent environment and stopped being violent to others miraculously people stopped being violent to me.

As far as the issue of youth crime, gangs and violence, personally I don't think it's a new phenomenon but it's a complex topic that requires thought and intelligent discussion which clearly is a remote possibility on this forum where members tend to prefer to simply fuel their own egos or engage in petty bickering and name calling rather than address the actual content of others posts.

If you are still struggling to accept this concept that violence has a habit of provoking violence please be my guest, walk into the nearest bar, wait for someone to swear and then slap them in the face... be sure to let us know how it works out for you! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

No teacher has the right to slap a student. I thought corpral punishment was banned in civilised societies 40 yrs ago.

In America I'd agree with you, but this is Thailand and the culture here is quite different.

I wouldn't equate the banning corporal punishment with being civilised, either. I know of several so-called "civilised" nations that invaded Iraq after lying to the world about weapons of mass destruction, killing hundreds of innocent civilians.

• Like 1

Sorry but we all have access to Wikipedia, at least do us the courtesy of quoting them if you're going to copy the information verbatim...

It seems in your intent to try and come across knowledgeable you miss the point entirely... had the teacher simply "turned the other cheek" rather than getting physical this situation wouldn't have escalated out of control. Yet again, this doesn't condone the response he received but it was utterly predictable and a teacher should have known better. What he did, whether or not you prefer to pass it off as a "clip round the ear", is a criminal offence and from a person in authority that's not a great way to set an example for others, especially when you go on to condemn the youth for their criminal tendencies...

Violence begets violence is a common phrase and it's origins are pretty irrelevant to the message, perhaps you'd prefer the more modern equivalent phrase, violence breeds violence... It disturbs me that this is such a hard concept for people to understand but from someone who grew up in a society where drinking and fighting were common place the truth in it is fairly obvious. As soon as I removed myself from a violent environment and stopped being violent to others miraculously people stopped being violent to me.

As far as the issue of youth crime, gangs and violence, personally I don't think it's a new phenomenon but it's a complex topic that requires thought and intelligent discussion which clearly is a remote possibility on this forum where members tend to prefer to simply fuel their own egos or engage in petty bickering and name calling rather than address the actual content of others posts.

If you are still struggling to accept this concept that violence has a habit of provoking violence please be my guest, walk into the nearest bar, wait for someone to swear and then slap them in the face... be sure to let us know how it works out for you! thumbsup.gif

Well there's no reasoning with you because you obviously don't know what reason is. Judging by your comment in a previous post (If I was informed that a teacher, or anyone else for that matter, had taken it upon themselves to assault any member of my family you better believe that I would respond appropriately.) you would behave the same as the thugs which makes you no better.

Also if I walked into a bar and somebody was swearing and acting like a thug I would simply walk away (turn the other cheek).

Edited by sysardman

If we put the arguments aside for a moment, I would ask who has got an answer to the problem because I sincerely don't believe the present system is working. Every day on the news there seems to be a report of students killing other students or members of the public, if it's not that it's this new trend of mobbing stores and looting everything in sight or rioting and taunting police and mugging passers-by. In many places firemen are afraid to tend fires because they are stoned by gangs of youths that probably started the fire in the first place. Respect and discipline has gone down the tubes somewhere.

The process of using violence is very complex. Where is the turning point ? I guess it's difficult to answer. Until years ago Thai youth in general showed respect for the elder generation. As stated it's surely a very complex issue, but the sum of what they get to see in the widely spread media where they only see the violence, but not the repercussions to domestic violence, violent games and movies, as well as experiences from own situation might fuel the use of violence in any kind of situation.

While clearly students shouldn't be beating up teachers for any reason the old saying "violence begets violence" comes to mind... what the hell is any teacher doing slapping children in the head?

And how about the old saying 'He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes'. (Proverbs 13:24)

Unfortunately parents reluctance to discipline has led to today's 'spoilt brat' society where a child thinks they can do anything if denied what they want. @Chooka talks about civilised societies but from world news I fail to see any of these. Today the news is full of rioting and looting everywhere and when caught on camera the majority appear to be youngsters.

Don't hear about much of this in Singapore though do we?

Ha ha ... good one.

Yes, same thing in my day. No punishment at school could compare to what my Dad would have handed out, if I was in the wrong.

And it was kind of fun to be a "cult hero" for a day or two, but I lived in a small town, and my Dad got wind of it sooner or later. whistling.gif

• Like 1

No teacher has the right to slap a student. I thought corpral punishment was banned in civilised societies 40 yrs ago.

Indeed, and society has been on a downward trend ever since.

Yep I attended a Catholic school until high school and the nuns would give you bloody knuckles if you cursed them. I think it should be reimplemented everywhere. If my kid ever does that he won't sit down for a week. On the other hand, my kid will not be crawling into any teachers office or kneeling in front of a teacher, or sitting on the floor, or wasting 30 minutes of every school day listening to some Thai adult babble at the students.

Yes, same thing in my day. No punishment at school could compare to what my Dad would have handed out, if I was in the wrong.

And it was kind of fun to be a "cult hero" for a day or two, but I lived in a small town, and my Dad got wind of it sooner or later. whistling.gif

5555 They don't have principles in Thailand, they have directors, and the directors main duty is to spend his/her time trying to get tea money from the agencies placing English teachers and babbling at the students for 30 minutes in the morning.

Well there's no reasoning with you because you obviously don't know what reason is. Judging by your comment in a previous post (If I was informed that a teacher, or anyone else for that matter, had taken it upon themselves to assault any member of my family you better believe that I would respond appropriately.) you would behave the same as the thugs which makes you no better.

Also if I walked into a bar and somebody was swearing and acting like a thug I would simply walk away (turn the other cheek).

Yes, obviously?! You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, you consistently fail to respond to any ideas or views put forward and, yet again, you respond with utter speculation and nonsense. You have no idea what I would do but if you had the slightest ability to comprehend anything that I have written on this topic it would be fairly clear that violence isn't a proposition I support. It's you that have been arguing that it's an acceptable form of response to a verbal slur but when put back to yourself you, of course, would "turn the other cheek"!!!

I believe that it is no coincidence that those who feel that violence should be an integral part of education and discipline are somewhat lacking in their own mental capacity to debate ideas and tackle the subject in an intelligent manner. To educate and discipline without violence takes considerable thought and a consistent approach... much easier to simply beat it out of them eh?! Funny that this approach is seen as prehistoric when talking about dog training these days but some still see it as necessary for the training of people!!! It really does say a great deal about you and your narrow minded outlook on life...

It's also amusing that we have this total clash of "realities" being put forward by the pro capital punishment side, some claiming that violence in schools is already widespread, head slappings by teachers being the norm, while others claim that a lack of such teacher/ student violence is what has caused all of society's ills!!! Amazing stuff!

Yes, obviously?! You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, you consistently fail to respond to any ideas or views put forward and, yet again, you respond with utter speculation and nonsense. You have no idea what I would do but if you had the slightest ability to comprehend anything that I have written on this topic it would be fairly clear that violence isn't a proposition I support. It's you that have been arguing that it's an acceptable form of response to a verbal slur but when put back to yourself you, of course, would "turn the other cheek"!!!

I believe that it is no coincidence that those who feel that violence should be an integral part of education and discipline are somewhat lacking in their own mental capacity to debate ideas and tackle the subject in an intelligent manner. To educate and discipline without violence takes considerable thought and a consistent approach... much easier to simply beat it out of them eh?! Funny that this approach is seen as prehistoric when talking about dog training these days but some still see it as necessary for the training of people!!! It really does say a great deal about you and your narrow minded outlook on life...

It's also amusing that we have this total clash of "realities" being put forward by the pro capital punishment side, some claiming that violence in schools is already widespread, head slappings by teachers being the norm, while others claim that a lack of such teacher/ student violence is what has caused all of society's ills!!! Amazing stuff!

Good Morning Ferangled - to start with I thought we were debating and I thought it was you that scorned slurs and name calling and yet you repeatedly try to insult me and others. Also you seem to say that because we do not accept your viewpoint (I say we because I have had a lot of support for my views) that somehow we 'are lacking in their own mental capacity'. Maybe it's just you fail to make a convincing argument.

As your statement about responding appropriately did not specify an action but certainly carried a theatening undertone it was easy to draw that conclusion. So what would your action be???

If you had read all the previous comments then you would see that people with first hand experience, having lived through a few generations, can testify to decline in moral values and respect for authority evident in today's youth.

Edited by sysardman

Good Morning Ferangled - to start with I thought we were debating and I thought it was you that scorned slurs and name calling and yet you repeatedly try to insult me and others. Also you seem to say that because we do not accept your viewpoint (I say we because I have had a lot of support for my views) that somehow we 'are lacking in their own mental capacity'. Maybe it's just you fail to make a convincing argument.

As your statement about responding appropriately did not specify an action but certainly carried a theatening undertone it was easy to draw that conclusion. So what would your action be???

If you had read all the previous comments then you would see that people with first hand experience, having lived through a few generations, can testify to decline in moral values and respect for authority evident in today's youth.

Sorry but identifying that you show a diminutive mental capacity by not being able to respond to views expressed and instead speculate, act childishly and call people names is not what I would call either a slur or name calling. You may have noticed that opinion is clearly divided on this but if you feel the need to count your "likes" as some sort of sign that your opinion is somehow more valid than others, please feel free; It adds such weight to my impression of you as a well balanced adult able to express his views rationally... honestly! thumbsup.gif

Sorry but identifying that you show a diminutive mental capacity by not being able to respond to views expressed and instead speculate, act childishly and call people names is not what I would call either a slur or name calling. You may have noticed that opinion is clearly divided on this but if you feel the need to count your "likes" as some sort of sign that your opinion is somehow more valid than others, please feel free; It adds such weight to my impression of you as a well balanced adult able to express his views rationally... honestly! thumbsup.gif

Name calling and sarcasm is certainly validating your mental capacity.