Fish Pond

Hi guys,

I have recently bought a house in Chiang Mai complete with a natural fish pond about 800 sq. metres and 2m deep, at present it is stocked with Pla Nin fish mostly about 6-8 inches long.

My problem is that I don't want these fish (I prefer Koi), so what is the best and easiet way to remove them?

also the pond is a British racing green colour and has been for 6 months now, how is it possible to get it clear so I would be able to see the Koi.

Thank you for your help,.

We had a big fish pond with cat fish in our yard, it was 100 sq meters with a small bit of land 2meter by 2meter in the middle with a small bridge.

We got rid of it all and filled it in and when it rained hard for a few days, it would overflow a few times a year and the fish would jump out, plus having to rescue our fat dog every now and then was a pain in the ass.

When we got rid of the fish, we drained the pond to about 30 cms and got the uni thats on our street to get them and they put them in there pond. They did the draining and collecting for free which was good. To transport them they brought huge tubs/eski and put them in pickup trucks.

hi you would probably need a filter tank system about a quarter of the size of the main pond , and a pump that can circulate the volume of the pond water in about an hour or 2 to keep it clear. But as its a natural pond it might be difficult as carp like to foradge on the muddy bottom,

sounds like a tough task

Sounds like time for a fish fry to me. Get the neighbors to come help with the fish collection and have good old fashion fish fry. Several large bottles of Hong Thong will make this event much happier. Good Luck

Edited by BillyBobThai

Hello,

You sure its 800sqm thats a bloody big pond. You would need a lot of UV lights to get rid of that green water and a lot of pumps and filters.With the fish in there already get a local to come round with there nets they will empty it of fish for you.

My pond is about 20 m by 5m and 3m deep and i have got 4 pumps and filters on it. Pumping about 35,000 litres per hour on a round bases.

Paul

If it really is 800 square meters, that is 800,000 liters. good luck filtering that. you could make some divisions in the pond, keep the majority as a natural pond with lots of aquatic plants, and then have your koi in a section that is filtered. But you don't really want to have gin clear water for koi unless you have shade too. They get sunburned and then start to display skin problems. They do really well in green water by the way, But you will never know they are there.

The bla nin are valuable, I would sell them to someone at a less than market price, providing that they come and get them. I you wait a little longer, and feed them, they will be worth more.

if i were you with the pond being as big as it is. The cheapest way would be to dedicate a minimum of 10 percent to a bog filter. Meaning turn some of the pond in to water flower beds that is pumped into and a water fall back into the pond. You will never have to clean it out, and the plants will thrive. It will take a big pump to shift the amount of water you need to run. But belive me its a lot cheaper that buying filter mating and constantly cleaning out. It will also look natural.

My pond is only small at 11,000 ltr with a 1500 ltr bog filter which keeps it Gin clear all year round and apart from cutting back plants is all the maintainance I need to do.

Hello,

You sure its 800sqm thats a bloody big pond. You would need a lot of UV lights to get rid of that green water and a lot of pumps and filters.With the fish in there already get a local to come round with there nets they will empty it of fish for you.

My pond is about 20 m by 5m and 3m deep and i have got 4 pumps and filters on it. Pumping about 35,000 litres per hour on a round bases.

Paul

No need for uv <deleted>, a bio filter of adequate capacity will keep it green free.