National Park Entrance Fees Take A Price Hike Of 150%

Maejo Man

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same in Australia. It would be total discrimination, and therefore illegal.

National Parks in Australia charge more for foreigners than locals. rolleyes.gif

Kakadu NP..

Adult pass | $25

Northern Territory resident | Free

Since when, was never free for residents when I lived there...or are you talking cultural resident.

Anyway. With a little creativity like car pooling, or personal charisma, or even sneaking around the gate then its fair game.

If foreigners are reduced to such, it's time to move to a country you can afford to live in.

It's not likely you'll be missed.

Another I'm all right jack why don't you go home post - if you're happy to bend over and get shafted up the jacksy with an unfair pricing system then you are also part of the problem. I don't mind paying a bit of money but 500 to 100 is a very uneven playing field when you consider there is very little in these attractions anyway. As one poster said if there was value for money maybe more people would be going to these places. It's a lazy man's solution to just say up the prices when the profits are down instead of trying to attract more visitors. I bet if this problem applied to beer there be a lot more whingers on this forum - Chang 100Bt Thai 500Bt farang.

Anyway. With a little creativity like car pooling, or personal charisma, or even sneaking around the gate then its fair game.

If foreigners are reduced to such, it's time to move to a country you can afford to live in.

Another I'm all right jack why don't you go home post - if you're happy to bend over and get shafted up the jacksy with an unfair pricing system then you are also part of the problem.

I don't mind paying a bit of money but 500 to 100 is a very uneven playing field when you consider there is very little in these attractions anyway. As one poster said if there was value for money maybe more people would be going to these places. It's a lazy man's solution to just say up the prices when the profits are down instead of trying to attract more visitors. I bet if this problem applied to beer there be a lot more whingers on this forum - Chang 100Bt Thai 500Bt farang.

You don't seem very happy here at all.

Another I'm all right jack why don't you go home post - if you're happy to bend over and get shafted up the jacksy with an unfair pricing system then you are also part of the problem.

I don't mind paying a bit of money but 500 to 100 is a very uneven playing field when you consider there is very little in these attractions anyway. As one poster said if there was value for money maybe more people would be going to these places. It's a lazy man's solution to just say up the prices when the profits are down instead of trying to attract more visitors. I bet if this problem applied to beer there be a lot more whingers on this forum - Chang 100Bt Thai 500Bt farang.

I'm very happy here - just won't be going to Doi Inthanon again or any other place that I consider is ripping farang off. Have you been to Doi Inthanon? if so tell me what I missed that is worth that money.

I'm very happy here - just won't be going to Doi Inthanon again or any other place that I consider is ripping farang off. Have you been to Doi Inthanon? if so tell me what I missed that is worth that money.

You don't sound very happy.

I was in Doi Inthanon about 5 months ago while doing a short 5 day bike tour of Northern Thailand.

Beautiful biking road, lovely to get the cool almost Scandanavian-esque mountain air, and be amongst fir trees and cones. :)

I've found that in life we should do what we want to do and not get worked up about the cost... I'm sure the experience was far better than if I rode up to the gates, got all in an angry huff about being 'ripped off' ( rolleyes.gif ) and drove off in an angry protest to the evils of it.

Here's some pics I took from there.

38.JPG

39.JPG

49.JPG

The 40b it cost me with my Thai driving license was well worth it, as would have been 100, 500 or 1000b if that's what it cost as it's what I wanted to do at the time and was something I enjoyed doing. Far better then getting angry and looking at the notes in my wallet while missing out. thumbsup.gif

Nothing. But it's relatively popular with Thai tourists, as the highest peak of the country is there. We all know it's all pretty average. And in the dry season it's all dead, and little water in the waterfalls.

You don't sound very happy.

I was in Doi Inthanon about 5 months ago while doing a short 5 day bike tour of Northern Thailand.

Beautiful biking road, lovely to get the cool almost Scandanavian-esque mountain air, and be amongst fir trees and cones. smile.png

I've found that in life we should do what we want to do and not get worked up about the cost... I'm sure the experience was far better than if I rode up to the gates, got all in an angry huff about being 'ripped off' ( rolleyes.gif ) and drove off in an angry protest to the evils of it.

Here's some pics I took from there.

38.JPG

39.JPG

49.JPG

The 40b it cost me with my Thai driving license was well worth it, as would have been 100, 500 or 1000b if that's what it cost as it's what I wanted to do at the time and was something I enjoyed doing. Far better then getting angry and looking at the notes in my wallet while missing out. thumbsup.gif

Well I think you're drawing conclusions here, I've been there once and it was OK but nothing to write home about and I didn't huff and puff and play the angry farang, I payed my money and took in the sights. What I'm saying is that if prices keep jumping up like that I am unlikely to return because I can find places just as nice and many of them free. Head up the mountains toward Mae Sai and you will will see. My argument is that a business needs both passing trade AND return customers because when the passing trade find other places (Myanmar, Laos etc) the return customers may also have deserted. I personally think they could be shooting themselves in the foot.

If you think I'm some grumpy old fart please see my 'Power of Bamboo' post in the entertainment forum, I'm as happy as a little sandboythumbsup.gif

PS if I could be bothered with the paperwork I could get resident status and pay Thai prices - my concern is for Thailand.

Another I'm all right jack why don't you go home post - if you're happy to bend over and get shafted up the jacksy with an unfair pricing system then you are also part of the problem. I don't mind paying a bit of money but 500 to 100 is a very uneven playing field when you consider there is very little in these attractions anyway. As one poster said if there was value for money maybe more people would be going to these places. It's a lazy man's solution to just say up the prices when the profits are down instead of trying to attract more visitors. I bet if this problem applied to beer there be a lot more whingers on this forum - Chang 100Bt Thai 500Bt farang.

You can't use the argument that "I won't pay dual-pricing because there's nothing to see". That implies dual-pricing is acceptable if there's value to the site. And you can't determine what others find value in.

As to your argument that 5-1 is too big a differential, try going to a national park or tourist site in some of the countries listed above. Costa Rica has about a 20-1 ratio in most national parks. India charges 100-1 at some places. Does anyone know what the rates are for Cambodians vs tourists at Angkor Wat. I know it's US$20/day for tourists. I bet it's more than 5-1. I can't imagine too many Cambodians paying $4.

Yes, there's a lot more value at Angkor Wat than at a Thai waterfall but if dual pricing is acceptable at AngkorWat, then why is it not acceptable in Thailand?

You can't use the argument that "I won't pay dual-pricing because there's nothing to see". That implies dual-pricing is acceptable if there's value to the site. And you can't determine what others find value in.

As to your argument that 5-1 is too big a differential, try going to a national park or tourist site in some of the countries listed above. Costa Rica has about a 20-1 ratio in most national parks. India charges 100-1 at some places. Does anyone know what the rates are for Cambodians vs tourists at Angkor Wat. I know it's US$20/day for tourists. I bet it's more than 5-1. I can't imagine too many Cambodians paying $4.

Yes, there's a lot more value at Angkor Wat than at a Thai waterfall but if dual pricing is acceptable at AngkorWat, then why is it not acceptable in Thailand?

Its more the resident non resident issue. I have no problem with dual pricing based on residency. I live in Thailand so its not ok, im a tourist in Cambodia so its ok.

Produce your Work Permit and always gets a Thai Price. Loaded got lucky on the Drivers License but all good. BS baffles brains.

Surely you are not saying that there is a rule adhered to throughout the land, are you? I guess you missed the posts where people have stated that they were denied the Thai price when showing their work permit.

If you followed this thread you may see that I am against dual pricing but mine is a voice in the wilderness so I'm just saying if I am to pay dual prices I would like some value for money. Like one poster suggested some information places and I forget what other things but they sounded sensible. Anyway I'm not repeating all my arguments so please reread my posts if you need to know my standpoint.

If you followed this thread you may see that I am against dual pricing but mine is a voice in the wilderness so I'm just saying if I am to pay dual prices I would like some value for money.

Value for money is subjective to the individual.

Should they have a questionairre at the gate asking you to tick the boxes of what you consider to be value and then charge you accordingly? :huh::D

I've been there once and it was OK but nothing to write home about and I didn't huff and puff and play the angry farang, I payed my money and took in the sights.

You sound like an angry huffer and puffer here:

just won't be going to Doi Inthanon again or any other place that I consider is ripping farang off.

biggrin.png

"What I'm saying is that if prices keep jumping up like that I am unlikely to return because I can find places just as nice and many of them free. "

So what's the problem?

"Head up the mountains toward Mae Sai and you will will see. "

I have, and do. smile.png

"My argument is that a business needs both passing trade AND return customers because when the passing trade find other places (Myanmar, Laos etc) the return customers may also have deserted. I personally think they could be shooting themselves in the foot."

Sounds like another farang telling Thailand how to run it's businesses... I'm betting that Thailand's tourism industry and income isn't going to suffer as much as one baht off this.

"PS if I could be bothered with the paperwork I could get resident status and pay Thai prices "

There's very little paperwork involved in getting the identification required. Very, very little in fact.

"my concern is for Thailand."

Please, give me a break. You're worked up over them 'ripping off' farangs and it leaves a sour taste in your mouth as you feel victimized.

Edited by siampreggers

I've been there once and it was OK but nothing to write home about and I didn't huff and puff and play the angry farang, I payed my money and took in the sights.

You sound like an angry huffer and puffer here:

just won't be going to Doi Inthanon again or any other place that I consider is ripping farang off.

biggrin.png

"What I'm saying is that if prices keep jumping up like that I am unlikely to return because I can find places just as nice and many of them free. "

So what's the problem?

"Head up the mountains toward Mae Sai and you will will see. "

I have, and do. smile.png

"My argument is that a business needs both passing trade AND return customers because when the passing trade find other places (Myanmar, Laos etc) the return customers may also have deserted. I personally think they could be shooting themselves in the foot."

Sounds like another farang telling Thailand how to run it's businesses... I'm betting that Thailand's tourism industry and income isn't going to suffer as much as one baht off this.

"PS if I could be bothered with the paperwork I could get resident status and pay Thai prices "

There's very little paperwork involved in getting the identification required. Very, very little in fact.

"my concern is for Thailand."

Please, give me a break. You're worked up over them 'ripping off' farangs and it leaves a sour taste in your mouth as you feel victimized.

Well it is a forum, we can all have opinionsthumbsup.gif

Nice scenery up the Mae Sai roadthumbsup.gif

Its more the resident non resident issue. I have no problem with dual pricing based on residency. I live in Thailand so its not ok, im a tourist in Cambodia so its ok.

You live here and don't have a Thai driver's licence or Tabien Bahn? huh.png

Some people don't drive, and live in a rental house/room. wink.png

• Like 2

Nothing. But it's relatively popular with Thai tourists, as the highest peak of the country is there. We all know it's all pretty average. And in the dry season it's all dead, and little water in the waterfalls.

The fact the highest spot in Thailand has no proper lookouts as such has and always will baffle me. The only decent lookouts are from the twin Chedis, but they're not at the top anyway. But it is Thailand, and all they really want is a photo with the highest point sign. Waterfalls and scenery are worth the trip though. Never been charged the tourist price either (with Thai driving permit).

• Like 1

You don't need to drive to get a Driver's License. Except around a cone or two during the test. If that's too difficult for you, they allow to do it again and again until you master the skill. wink.png

Edited by siampreggers

I got a 2 thai drivers license, so often i get in for Thai price and that is good.

You don't need to drive to get a Driver's License. Except around a cone or two during the test. If that's too difficult for you, they allow to do it again and again until you master the skill. wink.png

I think if you were trying to make a convincing argument you could have used better photos than 1. a motorbike next to a guard rail. 2. a motorbike next to the highest point sign with power lines and a communication tower in the background 3. a pine cone on a motorbikeclap2.gif

Edited by sysardman

I got a 2 thai drivers license, so often i get in for Thai price and that is good.

Can you lend me one of yoursthumbsup.gif

Oh right.

Sounded a bit different when written as:

I have no problem with dual pricing based on residency. I live in Thailand so its not ok,

I mean that in Thailand its not always based on residency sometimes a Thai drivers license does not help. Then i feel its not ok.

I need both of them (car and bike)

I need both of them (car and bike)

I was joking but quite understandwai.gif

By the way do you get half price for showing bothwhistling.gif

Edited by sysardman

I think if you were trying to make a convincing argument you could have used better photos than 1. a motorbike next to a guard rail. 2. a motorbike next to the highest point sign with power lines and a communication tower in the background 3. a pine cone on a motorbikeclap2.gif

I've tried, but cannot correlate your post to anything in those quotes. :huh:

I've tried, but cannot correlate your post to anything in those quotes. huh.png

Just didn't want to waste more space including your scenic photos of your motorbike again. At least I don't just post a comment with no quotes and 'Viz the discussion' - great comic Viz don't see it for sale here.rolleyes.gif

Edited by sysardman

Just didn't want to waste more space including your scenic photos of your motorbike again.

Oh right. In such a case it's best to just mention them without quoting 3 posts that are completely unrelated to what you're discussing.

There's a forum support sub-forum that you can use to ask questions about how to use an internet forum.

Good luck with it, and continue trying. smile.png

Once you've learned the ins and out of basic forum use you may like to start a thread - 'Alternatives to Thailand's national parks. Never have to pay again!'

I'm sure it would be wildly popular with the 'I eat 25thb Khao Man Gai at the side of a filthy road for lunch everyday and drink Leo in a rat infested mom n' pop shack' crowd. smile.png

Edited by siampreggers