Tesco Lotus Counters Protests Against Phuket Town Project

Lite Beer

Tesco Lotus counters protests against Phuket Town project

Phuket Gazette –

phuket-1-16714DekqlIhOoxfgMOjXvDIfrXmuCj.jpg

Tesco Lotus 'health ambassadors' who took part in the regional aerobics competition held in May at Tesco Thalang, which opened in October last year. Photo: Gazette file

phuket-4-16714gjHNIfCoCvWtNySGgiHUKHYaAh.jpg

The Tesco Lotus corporate statement came days after hundreds gathered to protest the plan for a large shopping mall in Phuket Town. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: Thailand’s leading retailer Tesco Lotus has issued a corporate statement in response to the more than 500 local traders, business owners and residents in Phuket Town who protested on Thursday against its plan to build a large shopping mall on Bangkok Road.

The statement reads: “Tesco Lotus has been operating in Thailand for 18 years, delivering excellent value for our customers and actively contributing to local communities where we operate.

“We have helped customers lower their cost of living through low price products and promotional campaigns, offered business opportunities to over 5,000 suppliers who sell their products in our stores, created over 40,000 full-time jobs nationwide and helped local communities through active staff volunteering of over 2.3 million hours last year.

“We serve a large number of customers each week, including small retailers who can buy our products in bulk to sell at a healthy margin.

“We always ensure that any proposal to open a new store complies with the relevant local and national regulations. For the planned project, we have gathered feedback from the community and conducted an environmental impact assessment which will be shared with the local community.

“We will continue to engage all local stakeholders to ensure that any action we take will best serve the people of Phuket.

Tesco Lotus also used the opportunity to remind Phuket residents about its efforts to reduce the use of plastic bags on the island:

“Tesco Lotus is continuing its campaign to reduce plastic bags in Phuket, to educate customers about the environment and give away cloth bags instead of plastic bags to customers at Tesco Lotus Thalang and Phuket Town stores from August 17 to 19.

“The campaign is part of Tesco Lotus’ commitment to conserving the environment. These include many campaigns in Phuket, such as producing 30,000 cloth bags, supporting environmental training for young people, and a forthcoming beach-cleaning activity by Tesco Lotus staff at Surin Beach on August 23.”

Tesco remains one of Thailand's most successful retailers, announcing in its annual report 2011 a revenue of 140.84 billion baht.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2012/Tesco-Lotus-counters-protests-against-Phuket-Town-project-16714.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-08-21

Small business in The local market haven't got any rights to speak up against the big businesses in Thailand.

Buddha beware,... Don't speak up against the Tesco fraction of Thailand, or you might get shot dead under special stealth circumstances...

Edited by MaxLee
  • Like 1

Small business in The local market haven't got any rights to speak up against the big businesses in Thailand.

Buddha beware,... Don't speak up against the Tesco fraction of Thailand, or you might get shot dead under special stealth circumstances...

..and the fact that it is Chinese-British owned. I prefer to support small businesses owned by Thais and a few by independent expats.
  • Like 1

..and the fact that it is Chinese-British owned. I prefer to support small businesses owned by Thais and a few by independent expats.

Yes, but only if they are competitive. The business model of charging whatever you can get is being challenged by Tesco, Big C, and others who operate with competitive foreign models.

Bottom line, we want your money. It is not about what they do, how many they employ etc. it is about how much profit they make, the bottom line.

If they want to reduce plastic, take it off all products before they leave the store and dispose of it responsibly, the same with cardboard, styrofoam etc. do not leave it up to the Thai consumer to do it, it will end up in your front yard.

It's only a matter of time before Thailand starts to industrialize the agriculture and big chain stores dominate the small business sector ( Mom and Pop) stores. This will lead to more processed foods and chemicals and more bottom line profit margins. We will have more empty calories and Walmart like junk from China and other castoffs. Hopefully Thailand will see through the short term gains and go for the organic and small farmer and manufacturer who still care about their products. For poor Phuket,which is a study of unplanned rampant development and no environmental concerns and just profit to motivate business it won't matter what stores bring in the most trash and pollution, it's there already!

Lived in Thailand 15 years.

Best thing that has happened on Koh Samui was 7-11 opening.

Now you only pay 10% more than the main land.

Where as before it was 50-500% more!

The big stores bring the prices down for the people.

That's why they are successful!

“We have helped customers lower their cost of living through low price products and promotional campaigns"

How refreshing to see the caring, sharing face of an aggressive multi-national company

Hypocrisy at its' best. Look at this “We serve a large number of customers each week, including small retailers who can buy our products in bulk to sell at a healthy margin." What tripe. My wife has a small business and there is a Tesco in town. She never buys in bulk from them. It would most certainly cut into her profits. In fact, she would have to take a 45 minute drive towards a larger downtown area to actually get a decent wholesale price. How can they claim such a thing? There is a great wholesale place in Chiang Mai where small retailers can actually benefit from buying in bulk. I've been there, so it is a fact. Coporate shills with their non-stop exaggerations and false claims.

“We have helped customers lower their cost of living through low price products and promotional campaigns"

How refreshing to see the caring, sharing face of an aggressive multi-national company

Hypocrisy at its' best. Look at this “We serve a large number of customers each week, including small retailers who can buy our products in bulk to sell at a healthy margin." What tripe. My wife has a small business and there is a Tesco in town. She never buys in bulk from them. It would most certainly cut into her profits. In fact, she would have to take a 45 minute drive towards a larger downtown area to actually get a decent wholesale price. How can they claim such a thing? There is a great wholesale place in Chiang Mai where small retailers can actually benefit from buying in bulk. I've been there, so it is a fact. Coporate shills with their non-stop exaggerations and false claims.

I believe you, and that may be the case in Chiang Mai. But in Phuket at least, small retailers do go to big supermarkets to take advantage of the big sales they have on certain products sometimes. As other posters have commented before, some to the point of bringing a big delivery truck, and others taking every single piece of an item that's on sale and stuffing shopping carts with them, leaving shelves empty and getting angry when you try to take one.

I believe you, and that may be the case in Chiang Mai. But in Phuket at least, small retailers do go to big supermarkets to take advantage of the big sales they have on certain products sometimes. As other posters have commented before, some to the point of bringing a big delivery truck, and others taking every single piece of an item that's on sale and stuffing shopping carts with them, leaving shelves empty and getting angry when you try to take one.

I see that every time there is a special offer in the big Tescos. Small retailers get the word and arrive in their pick-ups, fill them up, and make a big profit at their own shop. Nothing wrong with that but it's surprising that Tesco do not place a limit of an individual's purchases. Suppose Tesco want to make money too ...

Tesco, like all big companies will charge as much as they can get away with - but are clever enough to charge a lower price than their competitors for most basic necessities. The draw of lower prices on some items (especially 'special offers'), ensures a large customer base who assume that ALL their prices are lower. This is not the case and some items are more expensive than my favoured 'mom and pop' store!

Additionally, Tesco have a wide range of products - whereas small shops only offer a v small range.

Like others, I hate giving my money to such a large, wealthy company but - its impossible to buy everything you need at a small shop (some of whom charge excessively anyway...).

Tesco, like all big companies will charge as much as they can get away with - but are clever enough to charge a lower price than their competitors for most basic necessities. The draw of lower prices on some items (especially 'special offers'), ensures a large customer base who assume that ALL their prices are lower. This is not the case and some items are more expensive than my favoured 'mom and pop' store!

Additionally, Tesco have a wide range of products - whereas small shops only offer a v small range.

Like others, I hate giving my money to such a large, wealthy company but - its impossible to buy everything you need at a small shop (some of whom charge excessively anyway...).

And not infrequently have a two price policy - one for Thais and one for Foreigners.

I believe that Tesco Lotus, embroiled in a debate with Old Phuket Town shopkepers over a plan for a new supermarket, today gave 200 bags of cleaning equipment valued at 500 baht each to be distributed to registered flood-hit families from Phuket Province's media centre.

I wonder what was donated from the protesting small businesses?

I believe that Tesco Lotus, embroiled in a debate with Old Phuket Town shopkepers over a plan for a new supermarket, today gave 200 bags of cleaning equipment valued at 500 baht each to be distributed to registered flood-hit families from Phuket Province's media centre.

I wonder what was donated from the protesting small businesses?

Have they always made such donations? Hope it's not just a publicity stunt because of the resistance they're facing now. (But yes, publicity stunt or not, they still at least helped some people).

^

If it was a publicity stunt, it was very low key. I believe that Tesco has a fairly well developed history of community support, and of course is a major employer.

Edited by pagallim

I don't know the ins and outs of Tesco's plans nor the strength of the protests, but I have particular objection to the site on the Samkong / Sarn Kong Sub-district being used for redevelopment. I am referring to the basketball court and beautiful wooded area (which hoas now been fenced off in liou of building work. Having lived in the area for 2 months, I have case for many objections

1. Many women gather at the site EVERY SINGLE DAY (when it's not raining!) to exercise. There's a more gentle routine and then a very high-impact aerobics session. They are so enthusiastic and well-practiced and the vibe there (of coming together to maintain health and have fun) is amazing. Many people also use the fitness apparatus there.

2. Many teenagers and young people use the site for basketball, hula-hooping and a range of other sports.

3. The closest natural spaces for these residents are either dangerous to go to, or fenced off (such as the hillsides nearby), or involve traveling up and long, windy and very steep road without pavements up to Rang Hill, where there are no space or facilities to do these things anyway!

I think its RIDICULOUS for TESCO to claim that because they bring about jobs they should have the right to stomp all over the long-standing community assets. If this space was derelict I could understand, but it is used every day! I've even seen kids playing in the pouring rain, and the women are there if it's only drizzling. Jobs are one thing - great the people need jobs - but what about community? what about health? what about maintenance of what makes the area so charming and attractive to live here? Furthermore, the exisiting TESCO is in a short distance. If TESCO has such a thirst for expansion, and so honourably wishes to provide jobs, why not expand on that site? or put another floor on another existing TESCO? There are many!

At the end of the day it's about money. TESCO doesn't care about its workers (providing more jobs) or the earth's resources (limiting plastic bags), or community (providing a valuable service) and there most certainly don't care about health, otherwise we'd see more organics ranges and sourcing from local farmers and fruit-growers. Yes, it's just about maximising profits, even if it means stomping all over real families and real communities. But I challenge to boses at TESCO to come here, see this place, live here for a little while, and THEN say that this is a prime spot for development.... How dare they, it's appalling.

^

It's my understanding that the site in question is where the line of fruit stalls used to be (primarily a tourist bus stop) in the centre of town, and nowhere near where you are describing. If I'm correct, this is just a large derelict but cleared site in what is quite a run down area, and certainly not within any imaginable tourist attraction (i.e. the 'Old Town').

Isn't Sam Kong where the existing (and original) Tesco Lotus is?

can anyone show on a google map where this is? i drove the street yesterday and could not find where they are planning this.

OK, imagine going from Central Festival south on the Bypass Road, turn left at Naka Road (1st set of lights). Continue for a couple of kms, crossing the lights at the Chaofa East Road junction. It's then a couple of hundred metres on the right.

can anyone show on a google map where this is? i drove the street yesterday and could not find where they are planning this.

OK, imagine going from Central Festival south on the Bypass Road, turn left at Naka Road (1st set of lights). Continue for a couple of kms, crossing the lights at the Chaofa East Road junction. It's then a couple of hundred metres on the right.

If true then that it is believed to be haunted land & probably explains the reason it has not been developed. There was some place of ill repute there which burnt down & they found some bodies which were handcuffed to beds. I think this happened more than 20 years ago.