Rc Flying In Thailand

rcav8r

Hi - there was a gentleman posted about where in Thailand to fly radio controlled model airplanes. I seem to remember he said he worked on a rig in the Gulf and had seen these "toys" for sale in shops but nobody could tell him where they can be flown. There were many responses to his query said among other things - it's illegal in Thailand; it only occurs on military bases; ask at model airplane shops etc etc etc. I replied that - it is legal; there are MANY flying clubs across Thailand; any one model shop may not know all the flying fields in Thailand; and where did this particular gentleman want to fly ?

Now I can't find that thread again. Can anyone help with it's location please ?

Also, is there a way to have responses to this thread notified to me automatically as is the case on some other bulletin boards ?

Thanks MalcolmL

Hi - there was a gentleman posted about where in Thailand to fly radio controlled model airplanes. I seem to remember he said he worked on a rig in the Gulf and had seen these "toys" for sale in shops but nobody could tell him where they can be flown. There were many responses to his query said among other things - it's illegal in Thailand; it only occurs on military bases; ask at model airplane shops etc etc etc. I replied that - it is legal; there are MANY flying clubs across Thailand; any one model shop may not know all the flying fields in Thailand; and where did this particular gentleman want to fly ?

Now I can't find that thread again. Can anyone help with it's location please ?

Also, is there a way to have responses to this thread notified to me automatically as is the case on some other bulletin boards ?

Thanks MalcolmL

The thread you are looking for is called "Remote Control Toys., Where are they used?" It is in the general posts section. To receive email notification of any topic...click on the options tab which is located at the top right of the first post, and click on "track this topic"

Happy flying :o

The thread you are looking for is called "Remote Control Toys., Where are they used?" It is in the general posts section. To receive email notification of any topic...click on the options tab which is located at the top right of the first post, and click on "track this topic"

Happy flying :o

Hi daddy57 - many thanks for your interest - I've found it now.

I see you're from Buriram ? Do you know where Ban Kok Wat is ? We tried finding it but were not successful. My friend lives north of Buriram by about 50 kms.

Are you an RC flyer yourself ?

And thanks for your advice about using the site correctly.

Best MalcolmL

There is a big club in Kanchanaburi not far from the Kwai Bridge.

There are model shops (i know of) opposite Pantip plaza (petchaburi road) Sukhapiban 1 (off of ram inthra/nawamin) and one somewhere along sukhumvit (this one i think owned by a foreigner).

I've been to one flight field, an old disused runway not far from me (Bangkapi). I'll find the address a little later.

"Hi daddy57 - many thanks for your interest - I've found it now.

I see you're from Buriram ? Do you know where Ban Kok Wat is ? We tried finding it but were not successful. My friend lives north of Buriram by about 50 kms.

Are you an RC flyer yourself ?"

Malcom, there a heap of Wats in and around Buriram. I am not sure of all of their names, but I think Ban Kok Wat is just outside of town, on the Surin road. Incidentally, its very near a remote control flying field :D

Each week-end there are a stack of people (Thai and Farang) flying all sorts of R/C aircraft. Helicopters to scale model cessnas. Its quite a big field and it gets very intresting when theres about 6 or 7 aircraft in the circuit :o

I use to build and fly control line 'planes. As well as powered and bungee launched gliders. At the moment I do not have anything to fly. However, that will change when I move into my new place and build a decent work area (shed)

The weekend flying here in Buriram is very friendly and relaxed. Anyone is more than welcome to have a look, and the flyers certainly do not mind showing and talking about their 'planes. If you are ever in the area, please feel free to drop in and have a look :D

• 2 weeks later...
"Hi daddy57 - many thanks for your interest - I've found it now.

Are you an RC flyer yourself ?"

Malcom, there a heap of Wats in and around Buriram. I am not sure of all of their names, but I think Ban Kok Wat is just outside of town, on the Surin road. Incidentally, its very near a remote control flying field :D

Each week-end there are a stack of people (Thai and Farang) flying all sorts of R/C aircraft. Helicopters to scale model cessnas. Its quite a big field and it gets very intresting when theres about 6 or 7 aircraft in the circuit :o

I use to build and fly control line 'planes. As well as powered and bungee launched gliders. At the moment I do not have anything to fly. However, that will change when I move into my new place and build a decent work area (shed)

The weekend flying here in Buriram is very friendly and relaxed. Anyone is more than welcome to have a look, and the flyers certainly do not mind showing and talking about their 'planes. If you are ever in the area, please feel free to drop in and have a look :D

Hi daddy57 - just seen your post - thanks - we know where the field is now at Ban Kok Wat. Appreciate your interest and hope you get your shed workshop and your planes up and going soon.

MalcolmL

Try 'Bang Poon Flying' on Tivanon Rd. Km 22 (approx). Right hand side coming away from Bangkok. It's located close to the provincial BBK/Nonthaburi border line down a short soi off the main road. There was a small shop there, also a shaded area with what looked like a few RC helicopters on a workbench.

Coming from Pathumthani direction you'll see a black and white sign on the left with their name. Not sure if there's a sign coming from Bkk way though.

I've seen another flying place on a back road between Bang Pa-In and Ayutthaya. From what I remember, it was just a level short strip of dirt with a little thatched straw hut at one end.

• 17 years later...
57 minutes ago, GeDocjerry said:

Do I need to register small RC planes and helicopters in Thailand?

Most no camera, some with camera.

my drones I kind of understand need to do the insurance, and the two agencies.

Drone, plane & helicopter are all UAVs.  Will depend on the discretion of the person confronting your flying.   IF going to fly in a public area, you may want to pop into the local PoPo station and ask them their thoughts, on planes & copters.  Go from there.