I Don'T Want To Be Eaten By Tigers

finy

All in all, going into a tropical jungle is probably the worst place to find peace and calm. It's not for nothing that those survivor man people always seem really distressed in the jungle and not in the mountains or desert. Imagine the humidity and plants, rocks, sharp things everywhere and who knows what critters on the ground. There's a reason Alexander turned around when he found his way to the jungles of Asia.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP trust me, If you want to write material for a book just go online a get a room on an island or rent a seaview room/villa or something. In the woods, you won't have the time to write anything bc u will busy surviving with your limited supplies and the animals. Im not sure if u can write a book but take a camera with you and u might be able to shoot an episode for MAN VS. WILD. just sayin'

'Eaten by a Tiger' ... mmh : ) - well i would suggest that the snakes, leeches, and mozzies are more likely. Is there no way that you would consider taking a guide with you, in your quest for solitude. ? (They don't have to sit on your lap.) What about a jungle lodge (Borneo was my choice) - they are very quiet and if you want to venture out at least you have 'some kind of something' to scream for as you run for your life. : ). Question really is .. are you willing to brave it. I personally couldn't - even after narrowing the odds down on an area - but then again i'm afraid of the dark on my own LOL. Wish you the very best with everything. Would be really interested to hear what you decide, book etc. ?? Tell me more.

Also check out - any shops that deal with this kind of thing ... i believe an electric warning wire is relatively inexpensive, to buy time. They will have loads of good ideas ... that might give you the peace of mind to go for it. What is your planning, so far, on this. ? Very interesting.

Best - Jude.

The border areas with Burma will almost certainly have a tiger or two. You should bear in mind that we are not natural prey for Tigers and that the reason why they are "so rare", is because they have a fear of man. Unless you accidently stumble upon a Mother and Cub or a large Male in heat then you wont know there looking at you.

If by chance your unlucky and you find yourself face to face with a tiger, the most important thing to remember is to hold your ground and stare directly into the Tigers eyes. Slowly open your mouth a bear your teeth. For every step the Tiger takes towards you, you match it and take a step towards the Tiger.

Tigers avoid fights when not hunting prey as they can be injured it would most likely back off.

You will not be able to outrun, outclimb, outswim or oufight a Tiger, so you might as well be brave and die like a man.

Charge !!!!

• Like 1

I've done quite a lot of trekking in the forests here, some times even stayed over night with a few friends in quite hostile places. As long as you are careful and well prepared you will have no problems. Rush in with no thought before hand and no one with experiece with you, then you might have some trouble.

You must stay in jungle? I know there's Tv member who has a sort of resort outside Chang Rai..I just can't remember his name, looked at his webbsite only once. Looked very nice and close to the nature. He's been posting a lot on the board. I maybe wrong but I THINK he has a gorilla as a picture on his posts. I hope this post is within the rules of the forum..If I'm wrong kick me out..

You can find tigers in every parts of Thailand, such as Tub (Thab) Lan national park, Kao Yai national park, Mae Wong national park,... or you can check this site: http://wwf.panda.org...edia/tigermaps/

I live next to the Mae Wong national park literally and the only thing separating us is a rusty broken barbed wire fence.

I have been told by the forest staff that there are tigers in the park but far away from where people go to as for some reason they prefer their own kind rather than humans.

I can't say that I blame them either.

You wont see a tiger. That is not to say they are not there because I have seen one myself. I was going up the trail and he was coming down - we were just 25 meters apart. A soon as he was aware of me he simply turned and disappeared into the forest.

Seeing one is like winning the lottery - about 14,000,000 to 1. Being eaten by one - well the odds are anyone's guess ;+)

An interesting point. Does anyone know when the last (wild) tiger attack occurred in Thailand?

Some news, in January 2012 in Yala province, 1 death and 1 injury.

After reading this persons dilemma I looked on the National Parks website and found this advice for persons wishing to stay in the jungle.

There has been an increase in person/wild animal confrontations. The National Parks Department would like to issue this advice. The main issue we are having is with large pythons and, in some areas, wild tigers. For all travellers in this area we advise the following actions.

Pythons will not normally attack humans as we are too large for them to swallow. Tigers are different so it is important that people take precautions .We advise that if you are staying or walking in the jungle you should wear small bells on your clothing so that a tiger knows there is a human coming and will generally move away. You should also carry pepper spray in case of an encounter.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of python or tiger activity. You should also be able to recognise the difference between python and tiger poo. Python droppings are small and elliptical and contain some small bones and rodent fur......Tiger poo has little bells in it and smell like pepper.

We hope that this is of assistance.

Carry bells? They want to give the tigers a dinner bell? they used to bang pans in Africa to scare away lions until the lions figured out the people carrying the pans were no threat, now the sound of pans banging against each other is just an invitation to a easy meal.

Edited by yourauntbob

• 2 weeks later...

OP - possibly one of the most facile posts I've read. If this is your main concern you are clearly not prepared or informed enough on wildlife issues to go into the Thai wilderness.

I know; I'm really looking forward to his "after" post.

Assuming he doesn't get eaten by a tiger...

SC

• Like 1

The border areas with Burma will almost certainly have a tiger or two. You should bear in mind that we are not natural prey for Tigers and that the reason why they are "so rare", is because they have a fear of man. Unless you accidently stumble upon a Mother and Cub or a large Male in heat then you wont know there looking at you.

If by chance your unlucky and you find yourself face to face with a tiger, the most important thing to remember is to hold your ground and stare directly into the Tigers eyes. Slowly open your mouth a bear your teeth. For every step the Tiger takes towards you, you match it and take a step towards the Tiger.

Tigers avoid fights when not hunting prey as they can be injured it would most likely back off.

You will not be able to outrun, outclimb, outswim or oufight a Tiger, so you might as well be brave and die like a man.

Charge !!!!

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You had me at every step with your wisdom and knowledge about confronting tigers...until your last word "charge" laugh.png

Funniest post of my week..made me do a little she wee...clap2.gif

Edited by sanook2me
  • Like 1

MR OP , where is your sense of adventure ?.

if our forfathers , and the brave missionaries , were faint hearted ,

then thailand would have remained a jungle., and not become a civilised country .

long live the brave white hunter

take care , expect to pay double the entrance fee @ the zoo.

If you're serious about spending a week in the jungles of Thailand, then you really need to realize that tigers are the least of your worries. I'd highly recommend that you refrain from putting yourself in this position unless you have a local guide and the proper equipment! Let this photo of my foot, taken after a 20 minute jungle trek on a relatively well-beaten path in a popular Thai national park, be a warning to you! I was indeed wearing sturdy shoes, and was with locals who I falsely assumed would be aware of such things since they'd been there a few times before (turns out they just drive around on the roads and get out at the super touristy points to take photos!) If you're not completely prepared, you'll be slowly eaten alive by leeches, mosquitos, ants and centipedes.

post-139762-0-25204900-1323974469_thumb.

post-139762-0-19283300-1323974488_thumb.

post-139762-0-58618200-1323974477_thumb.

If you're serious about spending a week in the jungles of Thailand, then you really need to realize that tigers are the least of your worries. I'd highly recommend that you refrain from putting yourself in this position unless you have a local guide and the proper equipment! Let this photo of my foot, taken after a 20 minute jungle trek on a relatively well-beaten path in a popular Thai national park, be a warning to you! I was indeed wearing sturdy shoes, and was with locals who I falsely assumed would be aware of such things since they'd been there a few times before (turns out they just drive around on the roads and get out at the super touristy points to take photos!) If you're not completely prepared, you'll be slowly eaten alive by leeches, mosquitos, ants and centipedes.

I should have taken a photo of the pointed bamboo through my foot. It would be perfect here

You will never see a Tiger that is stalking you. You will be dead before you realise it. You could try wearing a face mask on the back of your head. Tigers like to attack from behind and become confused when they see a face on both sides of your head

No wonder they stay in hiding.

Tiger to self: 'There he is, I'll just sneak around behind him'

pitter patter pitter patter ..

'wait a minute, what the ..... '