I Don'T Want To Be Eaten By Tigers

finy

This is a serious post btw, so please don't make any jokes if you don't mind.

I want to disappear into the wild. Not for long; probably just a week. I just want to be in complete isolation to write some content that's going to go into a book.

Not straight away, but I figure I might as well know now. But I don't want to go camping inside a national park if I'm going to get eaten by tigers, or any other wild animal in Thailand.

Do you know which part of the country the tigers live in?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would be in rare company if you saw a wild tiger in Thailand.

However the mosquitoes will do their best to get their fill.

yes mosquitoes would be my concern. Last time I went into the jungle it was like a stuka attack.....I think after 2 hours everywhere it is itching that bad that you wish a tiger eats you.....

• Like 1

I think you should be more worried about getting robbed, molested or killed when camping in the jungle.

If you by chance should see a Tiger, then you really have got a story for your book.

PS. Bring a camera, people might not believe you. Good luck. smile.png

After reading this persons dilemma I looked on the National Parks website and found this advice for persons wishing to stay in the jungle.

There has been an increase in person/wild animal confrontations. The National Parks Department would like to issue this advice. The main issue we are having is with large pythons and, in some areas, wild tigers. For all travellers in this area we advise the following actions.

Pythons will not normally attack humans as we are too large for them to swallow. Tigers are different so it is important that people take precautions .We advise that if you are staying or walking in the jungle you should wear small bells on your clothing so that a tiger knows there is a human coming and will generally move away. You should also carry pepper spray in case of an encounter.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of python or tiger activity. You should also be able to recognise the difference between python and tiger poo. Python droppings are small and elliptical and contain some small bones and rodent fur......Tiger poo has little bells in it and smell like pepper.

We hope that this is of assistance.

that idea with pepper spray looks good, but:

will the tiger hold still till I figure out how to target it with the pepper spray?

after I spray, might the tiger be angry with me?

or do I use the pepper spray on myself so I am more tasty when the tiger eats me?

After reading this persons dilemma I looked on the National Parks website and found this advice for persons wishing to stay in the jungle.

There has been an increase in person/wild animal confrontations. The National Parks Department would like to issue this advice. The main issue we are having is with large pythons and, in some areas, wild tigers. For all travellers in this area we advise the following actions.

Pythons will not normally attack humans as we are too large for them to swallow. Tigers are different so it is important that people take precautions .We advise that if you are staying or walking in the jungle you should wear small bells on your clothing so that a tiger knows there is a human coming and will generally move away. You should also carry pepper spray in case of an encounter.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of python or tiger activity. You should also be able to recognise the difference between python and tiger poo. Python droppings are small and elliptical and contain some small bones and rodent fur......Tiger poo has little bells in it and smell like pepper.

Ha hahaahahah funny I love it

guess this National Park posts are from the sixties of the last century ! And my second guess is, before you 'll ever have the chance to smell Tiger poo or Phyton poo, and make up my third guess, you will have been eaten alive by the mozzies !

You can find tigers in every parts of Thailand, such as Tub (Thab) Lan national park, Kao Yai national park, Mae Wong national park,... or you can check this site: http://wwf.panda.org...edia/tigermaps/

blink.png REALLY??? in Khao Yai ? Live in the wild, or are they barbiturized like the ones for the shows ? I always thought Tigers were extinct in Thailand . . .WOW .. i gotta change & upgrade my opinion on that. Thanks for the map to the WWF infos !

Edited by crazygreg44

You can find tigers in every parts of Thailand, such as Tub (Thab) Lan national park, Kao Yai national park, Mae Wong national park,... or you can check this site: http://wwf.panda.org...edia/tigermaps/

blink.png REALLY??? in Khao Yai ? Live in the wild, or are they barbiturized like the ones for the shows ? I always thought Tigers were extinct in Thailand . . .WOW .. i gotta change & upgrade my opinion on that. Thanks for the map to the WWF infos !

You can read from lovelaos's attached link, they talked about tigers in Kao Yai, but not many tiger in Thailand, I think approx. 250 tigers and most of them are Bengal tigers,

There are many wildlife sanctuaries in Thailand such as Kuay Ka Kaeng, Kao Kieaw,.. and they are trying increase number of tigers (wildlife breeding).

http://www.world-wildlife-adventures.com/directory/thailand/wildlife-map.asp

Just on a serious note finy, if you are planning to go into the jungle for a week, you had better get local knowledge before you do this. A week doesn't sound like a long time, but it will feel like a lifetime if you are alone and don't plan any interaction with anyone else.

Tigers will be the least of your problems (unless you actually meet one.........sad.png ) and you should be more concerned with the mossies, snakes, scorpions, centipedes, etc as has been mentioned by earlier posters. Learn the poisonous snakes in the area and know what they look like; if you do get bitten, you need to relate this info to whoever is treating you. This isn't intended to put you off the idea, it is just common sense.

Even if you decide to 'get lost in the woods' near to civilization, watch out for the feral dog packs...............thumbsup.gif

Enjoy your adventure!

• Like 1

I live next to the Mae Wong national park literally and the only thing separating us is a rusty broken barbed wire fence.

I have been told by the forest staff that there are tigers in the park but far away from where people go to as for some reason they prefer their own kind rather than humans.

I can't say that I blame them either.

You wont see a tiger. That is not to say they are not there because I have seen one myself. I was going up the trail and he was coming down - we were just 25 meters apart. A soon as he was aware of me he simply turned and disappeared into the forest.

Seeing one is like winning the lottery - about 14,000,000 to 1. Being eaten by one - well the odds are anyone's guess ;+)

You wont see a tiger. That is not to say they are not there because I have seen one myself. I was going up the trail and he was coming down - we were just 25 meters apart. A soon as he was aware of me he simply turned and disappeared into the forest.

Seeing one is like winning the lottery - about 14,000,000 to 1. Being eaten by one - well the odds are anyone's guess ;+)

An interesting point. Does anyone know when the last (wild) tiger attack occurred in Thailand?

I wish that I had been there with you.

I know a lot of monks who frequent a few areas near the Burmese border on tudong, in parks where wild tigers are known to roam, and throughout the years very few managed to get a glimpse of a wild one. Of course, everyone thinks they've heard or seen it at night or something, but very, very few confirmed sightings. And almost always with a safe (but kinda boring) ending.

You'll be fine.

The danger if any will come from snakes and those horrible massive poisonous centipede bast*rds.

Whereas snakes will normally take flight if they know you are in the area, those centipedes have being watching too many Predator movies and they fancy their chances against any human.

I'd just book into a hotel if I was you.........hanging around in Jungles is over-rated.

Edited by theblether

• 2 weeks later...

they are so rare now that it would be like finding a needle in a haystack if you spotted one. They are also more likely to flee from you then try to kill you.

Seriously the big problem would be mosquitoes and leeches. Also ticks can carry nasty diseases if they bite you.

Also how will you take enough clean water with you to stay hydrated? If you have an accident no one will know where you are.