Sin Tax Increases Applauded: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree alcohol and smoking are bad, but people should be allowed to do so. But then they have to pay for their own sickness and stuff resulting from it. So in a way if the extra tax is for healthcare of smokers its ok.

How about people consuming sugar, salt,tea and coffee, medication, msg, fat, fast food? And how about those who think ketchup is a vegetable?

Hard to say.. but smoking is definately a killer and costs a lot. But my view is if you abuse your body why would others have to pay for it. I am all for freedom.. drugs ect but the person using them should pick up the bill.. healthcare ect. Same like eating too much and overweight ect, high risk sports. Problem is that its a sliding scale and im not sure where it would end.

These are my idea's but they are not real practical, but for smoking its easy to tax, alcohol too. Its known they are both killers and do loads of damage.. why not let the people who use it pay for it instead of also the non users or the ones who use it only a little.

• Like 1

I agree alcohol and smoking are bad, but people should be allowed to do so. But then they have to pay for their own sickness and stuff resulting from it. So in a way if the extra tax is for healthcare of smokers its ok.

How about people consuming sugar, salt,tea and coffee, medication, msg, fat, fast food? And how about those who think ketchup is a vegetable?

Hard to say.. but smoking is definately a killer and costs a lot. But my view is if you abuse your body why would others have to pay for it. I am all for freedom.. drugs ect but the person using them should pick up the bill.. healthcare ect. Same like eating too much and overweight ect, high risk sports. Problem is that its a sliding scale and im not sure where it would end.

These are my idea's but they are not real practical, but for smoking its easy to tax, alcohol too. Its known they are both killers and do loads of damage.. why not let the people who use it pay for it instead of also the non users or the ones who use it only a little.

Where it ends? There were already discussions of forbidding some particular fat food. So step by step the rights will be cut. I prefer to pay the costs for idiots, than having a nanny state that checks what I eat and drink.

• Like 2

Where it ends? There were already discussions of forbidding some particular fat food. So step by step the rights will be cut. I prefer to pay the costs for idiots, than having a nanny state that checks what I eat and drink.

I might agree there because i don't like to be told what to do. Just does not feel right that the costs of these addictions have to be paid for by others. As a farang its different you cant use their healthcare anyway. But if you drink and drive do you think the insurance should pay out or that the driver has invalidated his insurance.

Just all hard cases nothing is black and white and nothing is simple. But if the tax hike is used for healthcare i don't really see the problem. I do see it as a problem once they start to ban stuff.

It is shocking to treat the poor like this.

These people have few pleasures in life. No cinemas, no bowling that they can visit or afford.

Satellite TV is unaffordable

It's a disgrace when all other household costs are rising too and the vast majority have no increase in income to offset it.

Shame on you PTP

Yes, of course, the approx 20 million people close to or on the subsistence level , are crying out for satellite TV and bowling lanes above all else..................

The government makes a perfectly sensible fiscal and social health decision and for you it is a disgrace and a shame on them.

The constant linkage is predictable and boring.

Have you ever lived in a Thai village and watched the youth turn to glue and drugs out of boredom? Lack of work?

I think not

villages??? A lot of them in Bangkok and we lost 2 people for use of narcotics....

If the sin tax works why not just tax YaaBaah?

People see what it does to families and they want rid of it.

Drinking Gin n Tonic with a lemon or lime twist is a SIN...Holy Mother of Mary...I better do all my Hail Marys to get ahead. All you good

Catholics need to start doing your HAIL MARYS.

Ah, What the Hell, coz their ain't going to be any Gin n Tonics with a lemon or lime twist. In Heaven. coffee1.gifgiggle.gifermm.gifsad.png

Oh yes as I recall, one of the 5 basic precepts of Buddhism is No Alcohol!

It looks like everyone is doomed!!!! coffee1.giftongue.pngbiggrin.pngsmile.pnggiggle.gifsad.png

These people have few pleasures in life. No cinemas, no bowling that they can visit or afford.

It's a disgrace when all other household costs are rising too and the vast majority have no increase in income to offset it.

Shame on you PTP

Yes, of course, the approx 20 million people close to or on the subsistence level , are crying out for satellite TV and bowling lanes above all else..................

The government makes a perfectly sensible fiscal and social health decision and for you it is a disgrace and a shame on them.

Have you ever lived in a Thai village and watched the youth turn to glue and drugs out of boredom? Lack of work?

I think not

I do live in a village and my wifes' shop whis closed down is regularly used at night by youths. So far however they do no damage and we don't complain.

At least it is somewhere for them to meet their friends away from their family.

The nearest cinema is 65 km away in Khampaeng Phet, the nearest bowling alley I can think of is Phitsanulok 180 km away. The only transport is a motorbike or a trip to the big village 8km away and then a baht bus from there but I have no idea what time they stop running.

Edited by billd766

I have no idea how much smoking/drinking costs the health service here, or how much tax is raised on these items.

Without this info, its impossible to say whether or not non-users are paying for the costs.

Cigarettes are as addictive as heroin so increasing the price will not have the desired effects.

Make it an illegal class 1 drug and legalize marijuana.

Marijuana has its problems too for some...

FWIW, I think Tasmania is heading in the right direction by banning cigarette sales to those that are not already addicted. Yes, its an infringement of liberty/choice etc., but nicotine offers no benefits at all and we need to come up with ideas to stop kids adopting the habit.

Shame on you PTP

I think not

I do live in a village and my wifes' shop whis closed down is regularly used at night by youths. So far however they do no damage and we don't complain.

At least it is somewhere for them to meet their friends away from their family.

The nearest cinema is 65 km away in Khampaeng Phet, the nearest bowling alley I can think of is Phitsanulok 180 km away. The only transport is a motorbike or a trip to the big village 8km away and then a baht bus from there but I have no idea what time they stop running.

So jobs for the youths? Farming work when it's available, factories?

If you are on a low income,smoke and drink, I'd say someone is missing out on something, a little common sense dictate that unless you can afford this stuff don't use it, they're now bleating in OZ that alcohol is worse than cigarettes, which it is , I've never seen a smoker being antisocial , so one can look forward to a nice run to the local with the mates in 2080 for a pint of water and chips. Only trouble is I'll be dead by 2014coffee1.gif .

Logic would suggest that increasing the price of alcohol and cigarettes would stop people on low incomes being able to afford them but I'm not sure that's the case. I don't know about other countries but in the UK one of the reasons for someone on a low income dying earlier than someone on a higher one is that those on low incomes are more likely to smoke. I'm not sure about drinking but that may be the same.

It's one of the things you'll always see in tv interviews with homeless people, they nearly always have a cigarette and quite often alcohol as well. Where I used to work in a mainly low income area of Southampton there was a steady stream of people from the local housing estate smoking and drinking alcohol even at around 9 in the morning. For some reason, despite the high taxes people on low incomes seem to be able to find a way to smoke and drink. As for whether it slows the consumption at all in the long term I really don't know.

Comparing cigarettes and alcohol in the way you and many others have doesn't make sense as the effects and reasons are totally different. Smoking tobacco can damage health in many different ways including causing lung cancer amongst many others. Some, like many in my late wife's family seem to suffer no ill effects at all although one did lose both legs. Apart from any effects from passive smoking, cigarettes only effect others due to the loss of a family member or friend and of course the financial loss as well although this can be devastating as well.

Alcohol is different in that used in moderation it has little effect and can in some ways be beneficial. It's misuse that causes the problems and this can have an effect on people in no way connected to the drinker.

• Like 1

Shame on you PTP

I think Moruya may have been indulging in a bit of sarcasm but it's not always easy to tell.

When governments put up tax on tobacco and alcohol there's always the possibility that they're doing it to get more revenue rather than out of concern for the population's welfare. I'm certainly no fan of this government and I do have my suspicions about their reasons but without any evidence I would say give them the benefit of the doubt. I do wonder how much is taxed and how much is smuggled bearing in mind the corruption here?

They seem to be targeting imports again though which is just protectionism but that's just normal here.

It seems like non-smokers think they are immortal and will never get sick. But we all die of some cause eventually, and it is often something expensive for the health care system. So how do smokers spend more public health money? I would think it would be less, since they die younger and don't have to be treated for arthritis and other old age diseases.

Shame on you PTP

I think Moruya may have been indulging in a bit of sarcasm but it's not always easy to tell.

When governments put up tax on tobacco and alcohol there's always the possibility that they're doing it to get more revenue rather than out of concern for the population's welfare. I'm certainly no fan of this government and I do have my suspicions about their reasons but without any evidence I would say give them the benefit of the doubt. I do wonder how much is taxed and how much is smuggled bearing in mind the corruption here?

They seem to be targeting imports again though which is just protectionism but that's just normal here.

More revenue is often the case in western countries but I don't think it is the reason here. The single-digit billions (I've seen numerous figures bandied about) in revenue will hardly make a dent in the many hundreds of billions that the current mob are borrowing & wasting (on rice).

I suspect that in this case the anti- activists have been listened to & this will shut them up for a while. Personally, as a smoker & drinker, it's not going to make much difference to my pocket but it will hurt the poorer Thais most of all as many have ciggies & booze as their only pleasures.

The additional revenue will be spent on Health and Education, I trust?

Of course! It will be used to make some educated Shinawatras bank accounts more healthy.

And which members of the Shinawatra family would that be? Degrees and doctorates bought for cash don't count. Nor do exam cheats.

The writing is on the wall. 10 years from now or maybe sooner Thailand will be as expensive or more expensive than the west. There will be no point in staying.

I'm a 31 year old expat and I can't see this place being cheap for the rest of my lifetime. I'm sure I'll be forced out eventually by higher costs.

When I'm 40 I'm sure Philippines will be for me. When I'm 60, no doubt Kenya where I can get cheap booze and nubile African girls to comfort me in old age. giggle.gif

I have no idea how much smoking/drinking costs the health service here, or how much tax is raised on these items.

Without this info, its impossible to say whether or not non-users are paying for the costs.

True i also don't have that info will be hard to get it. That is why it is not all black and white. I am all for freedom as long as you pay your own bill. As a farang you pay your own bill for sure.

I might agree there because i don't like to be told what to do. Just does not feel right that the costs of these addictions have to be paid for by others. As a farang its different you cant use their healthcare anyway. But if you drink and drive do you think the insurance should pay out or that the driver has invalidated his insurance.

Just all hard cases nothing is black and white and nothing is simple. But if the tax hike is used for healthcare i don't really see the problem. I do see it as a problem once they start to ban stuff.

I agree but what an insurance pay or not pay is a minor point in compare to the freedom. Every year I hear in Austria that there should be restrictions to some climbing on the mountains or you are only allowed to ski with a proper extra insurance. Ban of some food is already in some countries. Consider that these things only get more never less.

You can add on the selling price the costs with some special taxes. That is the only thing that can be done.

There are also some studies (Europe) that smoking is actually cheaper for the insurances. Because usually the problems begin after retirement age. Than some expensive treatments are necessary and many die. But without people get way older and may also need expensive treatment.

So there are some extra costs but a lot is saved on the pension.

Of course it is cynical but I don't believe in these huge costs.

Of course drinking and driving is another topic.....because you may hit other people.

I always eat french fries with ketchup as vegetables are healthy

Those skinny things and ketchup should be left to kids. BTW tomatoes are a fruit, not a vegetable. I hope that when you eat real chips you have the good taste and savoir faire to know that they should be smothered in malt vinegar, preferable Sarson's.

• Like 1

Cigarettes are as addictive as heroin so increasing the price will not have the desired effects.

Make it an illegal class 1 drug and legalize marijuana.

Criminalise one addictive, carcinogenic substance and legalize another.

Why didn't I think of that?

They could go for prohibition and see how that works out. It cost close to 10.00 dollars a pack for cigarettes in the states and people still smoke.

I have been watching a very interesting docu about the US prohibition. Large profits were made by corrupt politicians in taxation before it occurred and in smuggling/licensing after it occurred....

I cynically believe this is all about incomes and nothing about health.

The additional revenue will be spent on Health and Education, I trust?

should read the bangkokpost quoting about this topic. The government is using 11 billion BAHT from the expected extra 14 billion Baht revenue, to subsidize diesel fuel ! So the revenue actually goes back to the people who need cheap fuel.