Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Video: A Thai Student Gives Advice On How She Became Fluent In English

webfact

My friend's son won the second prize for this speech competition few years back. Its just like another dictation/ memory test.

Too bad the Thai government isn't focusing on teaching English as a 1st language. And Thai as a mother tongue. All subjects should be taught in English.

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

So it's basically practice and applying oneself then, rather than fruit carving, flower arranging and parroting a well meaning but ultimately hopeless teacher who has never been outside Thailand... Who'd have thought!?

Good on her, and I hope others can follow her example.

• Like 1

sounds like her ability has precious little to do with schooling, but rather the result of resources/attention at home. hardly to be celebrated by thais. shes an exception, hardly a rule. most thai kids never have to speak/listen to a word of english away from school.

and, yes, the speech competition is just a memory/pronunciation exercise. you can tell this speech is also quite rehearsed.

• Like 2

Yes, it was rehearsed rather than spontaneous, but she nevertheless obviously knows what she's saying, has good pronunciation and obviously could converse with any of us given the chance. She already sounds better than most Thai English teachers, probably because her parents speak good (American) English . She'll go far.

Yes, it was rehearsed rather than spontaneous, but she nevertheless obviously knows what she's saying, has good pronunciation and obviously could converse with any of us given the chance. She already sounds better than most Thai English teachers, probably because her parents speak good (American) English . She'll go far.

but so will tata young's kids...

parading this girl around as some apogee of the thai school system is disgusting and so typically thai "false", where face>progress. of course the girl can speak some english. for all we know her parents have her study abroad during school breaks. notice how she says virtually nothing about her teachers/school rolleyes.gif

lets go interview her classmates/teachers and see how they can speak. o, thats right, they cant because the thai school system fails the students in every way possible.

this is reality:

this one is even better. teacher zach can't even speak english himself. cheesy.gif

Edited by samsara
  • Like 2

Wow.. I like her.. she has a lot of charisma and believes in what she is doing. Good for her.

I know teacher Paul is trying, but c'mon. How about a natural English speaker.

Do Brits know how hard it is to understand what Brit's are saying. rolleyes.gif

So far, no one has provided information as to how she came to have such a good accent and general grasp of the language. Is one of her parents English-speaking? Both? did she learn English with her parents only, or in school?

It would be helpful to get the basic facts. Too bad if she is just a one-off.

She is very good indeed and I would say an exception. Good luck to her!

A colleague and myself were often asked to tutor students for speaking practice and stand in as judges. We admitted they were good exercises for speaking and pronunciation but in reality they were merely recitals. Memorising The Three Little Pigs is all well and good but as far as conversational English goes they were worthless because the very same child exhibits a blank face when you ask them where they live, or how old they are. On one occasion the Thai teacher informed us that they did understand what they were saying and that they would be asked questions on their speech. However, we could not ask them just a random question...oh no! the questions had been given to the students beforehand and quite obviously the answers memorised along with the speech. You won't be surprised to learn shortly after our disapproval we were 'let go' smile.png

but so will tata young's kids...

parading this girl around as some apogee of the thai school system is disgusting and so typically thai "false", where face>progress. of course the girl can speak some english. for all we know her parents have her study abroad during school breaks. notice how she says virtually nothing about her teachers/school rolleyes.gif

lets go interview her classmates/teachers and see how they can speak. o, thats right, they cant because the thai school system fails the students in every way possible.

this is reality:

this one is even better. teacher zach can't even speak english himself. cheesy.gif

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

3 little pie eaters and a yank in defense, I feel sorry for Roger, he'll be running around like a blue ar$ed fly!!!!!

So this is turning into a Yank vs. Limey and viceversa. Ridiculous.

On topic. This girl is an EXCEPTION, period. 2 Thai English teachers at my school cannot hold even an elementary conversation (Weather, trees, toilet), so there is no hope for the students.

This girl did the Thai thing, rote, memorized everything. But she is far from fluent.

She is, however, the best student I have seen, at her grade level, in the 8 years I have taught at local schools. She is a winner.

She did mention one secret: speak it at home. But that is an impossibility. Pure luck her parents and sister speak English.

On the srinaiweb link there is a translation of what she's saying but my wife got pissed off while reading it cos after talking about her mum and sister it says she starts talking about seeed bilingual books that you can buy from many stores. Blatent lies and manipulation of children!

LOL.

Well, my son watched (please forgive my transgressions) teletubies while a toddler, then moved up to Fireman Sam, Bob the builder, etc etc... then Little Einsteins. All great cartoons for children. Very good education shows for little ones.

And now, when he plays alone, he will humm some of the classical tunes on Little Einsteins.

Now, at age 6, he kicks my ass at games and argues with me in English.