Any Way To Buy An Asus Google Nexus In Th ?

SunSeek01

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It now looks like the N7.2 might be launched at an event scheduled for July 24. Some leaked detail indicate that the 3G version of the new N7.2 may support standard GSM voice calling.

There may also be an N10 refresh.

It also looks like Android 4.3 ,may roll out the same day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Any way to get the new Nexus 7 in Thailand?

It's really expensive now... 350 USD + taxes!! The only interesting model is the one with mobile connectivity, I don't see the point of a wifi-only tablet (in-home usage only)!!!

That would convert to something like 11000 bath + 7% taxes so let say that we "should" be able to find it for about 12000 baht.

But will it be really available for 12000 baht? I'm saying that because the previous one of last year which costed 300 USD was priced at 12000 bath in BigC...............................

So my guess is that it will be more like 15000 baht -_-

Now the real question is WHEN will it be available here?? I want it today, what can I do? What are my options?

As much as I love Thailand, it's still such a horrible feeling to be in a country that don't have access to the latest devices :( :( :( :'(

...we should blame ASUS because if it would be Samsung, then the tablet would be available here immediately like for the Nexus 10 available in their own shops.

It might be a few months before Asus localizes the new N7 for Thailand, if they decide to do that at all.

They might not localize the 3G version given that additional regulatory approvals that model requires.

Many people buy via the Play Store (using a VPN) and then use a re-shipper like shipitto, or hand-carry it back.

3G versions often get sold through service provider partners in the U.S. or via the Play Store. I've never seen a 3G version of the (old) N7 in a retail outlet like Staples.

You can check the on-line stores at Best Buy, Staples, Walmart, Amazon. I think WiFi/16 GB version ($229.99) are shipping as of yesterday (July 30). Some brick.mortar/stores sold out immediately as there were many $30 off promos.

The WiFI/32 GB version is $269.99. I think the U.S. 3G/LTE version will be $349.99, not sure on frequencies, functionality (GSM calling) yet.

Prices are a bit higher than the N7.

post-9615-0-58617300-1375232837_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

It might be a few months before Asus localizes the new N7 for Thailand, if they decide to do that at all.

They might not localize the 3G version given that additional regulatory approvals that model requires.

Many people buy via the Play Store (using a VPN) and then use a re-shipper like shipitto, or hand-carry it back.

3G versions often get sold through service provider partners in the U.S. or via the Play Store. I've never seen a 3G version of the (old) N7 in a retail outlet like Staples.

You can check the on-line stores at Best Buy, Staples, Walmart, Amazon. I think WiFi/16 GB version ($229.99) are shipping as of yesterday (July 30). Some brick.mortar/stores sold out immediately as there were many $30 off promos.

The WiFI/32 GB version is $269.99. I think the U.S. 3G/LTE version will be $349.99, not sure on frequencies, functionality (GSM calling) yet.

Prices are a bit higher than the N7.

I would use the VPN + shipitto options when the 3G/LTE version comes out but I'm not sure if the frequency will work in Thailand...

By the way the previous Nexus 7 3G was and is presently still available in Thailand, and whenever I was able to see it in shops (BigC) it was the only model offered (no wifi-only model available).

• 4 months later...
Shipito cleverly has some addresses in states without sales tax too, so you'd get it for $399.

I'm not sure how "clever" that approach is, at least from the customer/buyer's perspective.

Yes, Shipito has a main California address, with nearly 10% CA state sales tax, and then companion addresses in Nevada and Oregon. But Nevada has a slightly lesser sales tax for Shipito's address and Oregon has none.

But, Shipito's available postage rates -- for the exact same size/weight package and shipping method -- are higher, sometimes significantly so, for the Oregon and Nevada receiving addresses compared with their California locations. And the company says that upfront in terms of its disclosures.

So it kind of depends, for a low weight, high-value item, Oregon might make economical sense. But for low $ value items, the sales tax savings probably is going to be offset by the higher shipping rates out of Oregon and Nevada.

I guess I should repeat here, since I mentioned it in another related thread:

As of last month, Shipito's most economical methods for sending packages to Thailand -- including mobile phones and tablets -- which is their Airmail Economy and Airmail Priority methods -- both CEASED accepting any packages containing lithium batteries.

As a result, generally speaking, the remaining method that's probably the least expensive after ruling out Airmail is their USPS Global Priority method, which accepts packages containing lithium batteries, but also is usually around twice as expensive for shipping postage as was their Airmail options.

Dunno if the ban on lithium batteries by Shipito's Airmail provider is a temporary or likely ongoing one. But the ban is in effect now. Thus the price for sending such toys from the U.S. via Shipito just went up substantially.

And, in my experience, the forced choice of USPS over Airmail also increases the likelihood that higher priced electronics items also will get snared by ThaiPost and/or Customs for the 7% VAT tax, which almost never happens with Shipito Airmail packages.

As one example, perhaps because I just bought a factory refurb 2012 model 32 GB Google Nexus 7 wifi tablet for my wife for Christmas from NewEgg online in the U.S.

Paid $115 total (+-3700b) including no sales tax and free domestic U.S. shipping. And then was able to have it shipped here for free (as part of my regular monthly mail forwarding envelope) and with no Thai duty or tax. The tablet arrived in excellent/new condition with only the retail box missing (replaced by a generic brown box instead).

Try to match that deal for the same authentic, not knockoff, product in Thailand.

Certainly for 3G models, it's harder to find good deals in the U.S. that offset the potential shipping/tax and warranty issues, because the 3G distribution channels in the U.S. tend to be controlled by the big telcoms. But for wifi models, there are lots of excellent deals to be had because the supply market is so much broader and the retailing competition pretty fierce, unlike Thailand.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Why order from the US, they cost 12.900 here, for 3G version Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Agreed. If you want the 3G version, and live in Thailand much better to buy here, if only for warranty assurance. By the time you land it here you might end up paying the same.

In the U.S., the N7/32 GB/3G variant is $349 (~ 11,500) before any state sales tax, shipping within the U.S. (Google charges $13.99), shipping to Thailand, then any potential VAT/Excise/ad valorem.

(Looking at the U.S. Play Store I only see a 32GB variant of the int'l unlocked LTE model as available.)

Paid $115 total (+-3700b) including no sales tax and free domestic U.S. Shipping

Try to match that deal for the same authentic, not knockoff, product in Thailand.

Certainly for 3G models, it's harder to find good deals in the U.S. that offset the potential shipping/tax and warranty issues, because the 3G distribution channels in the U.S. tend to be controlled by the big telcoms. But for wifi models, there are lots of excellent deals to be had because the supply market is so much broader and the retailing competition pretty fierce, unlike Thailand.

$115 for wifi version is an amazing deal.

I thought Nexus 7 wifi 16Gb version is $229 at Google Play Store.

You mentioned knockoffs in Thailand, what do the made in China fakes have to do with anything?

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

1. Re-furbished.

2. N7 version 1, so the old, original model with the OK screen.

$115 is about the average, second-hand price here in the U.S. now. Agree it's a good deal as long as you don't have a problem and have to return it to NewEgg, and if you are looking to save some money on gifts.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230893

Edited by lomatopo

1. Re-furbished.

2. N7 version 1, so the old, original model with the OK screen

No no no,

There must be some misunderstanding here.

Why would anybody buy the 2012 N7, when the 2013 Nexus 7, the best tablet on market right now, is only $229 in Play Store, or 12.999 in Thailand?

Why on earth buy the last years model?

Because I paid half the price of the next year's model? And the first year's Nexus 7 model I did buy was widely regarded as one of the best tablets made.

I don't think that changes a year later, especially for a simple tech user such as my wife.

There's always going to be a newer year's model of everything. But for me, people who always buy the latest, just released versions are simply burning their money, not to mention often falling victim to new model/undiscovered glitches and problems. Like battery drain problems, cracking glass phone bodies, flash storage that gets bogged down, etc etc.

On the other hand, a year out, you will know pretty much everything you need to know about a particular piece of equipment and its real-world performance, and can make a well-informed buying decision. Not to mention saving a lot of money in the process.

The 32 GB wifi 2013 model of the Nexus 7 is priced at $269 new in the Google Play store now. I paid $115 for last year's 32 GB wifi model, admittedly with somewhat lower specs and being a factory refurb that's nonetheless in absolute mint/new condition.

Is paying more than double the price for the one year later model really a sensible use of one's money? I certainly don't think so, especially if the year earlier model is widely regarded as a gem piece of hardware.

Ahh..by the way, in this case, because it's a Google Nexus device, as soon as I brought it home and connected to wifi, the tablet did two back-to-back over the air firmware upgrades and now is running the official and latest Kit Kat 4.4.2. Not bad for $115 out the door.

Because I paid half the price of the next year's model? And the first year's Nexus 7 model I did buy was widely regarded as one of the best tablets made.

I don't think that changes a year later...

Yes, for basic use, 2012 N7 is more than enough. It was and still is very nice tablet, and $115 is a bargain.

2013 Nexus 7 is not a small step from last years N7.

The current N7 is just completely different machine.

The 1900 by 1200 displey needs to be seen to believe. There nothing even close to it in Android world.

Sony Ultra 1080 displey at 6.4 inches is not a bad displey at all, but it pales next to new N7

1. Re-furbished.

2. N7 version 1, so the old, original model with the OK screen.

$115 is about the average, second-hand price here in the U.S. now. Agree it's a good deal as long as you don't have a problem and have to return it to NewEgg, and if you are looking to save some money on gifts.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230893

The NewEgg link you posted is for a $140 refurb 32GB model that's also listed as out of stock there. It looks like that's a brown version.

But they do have a comparable refurb, black color, also listed at $140 on special sale thru Jan. 4, plus $5 in shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231233

Amazon has one vendor selling for $130 plus $5.50 for shipping, and all the other refurb vendors are pricing them at $149 to $220.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B009X3UW2G/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished

So I'm not sure your comment about my $115 price (free shipping and no sales tax) as an average price in the U.S. is quite correct.

I said, "$115 is about the average, second-hand price here in the U.S. now. Agree it's a good deal as long as you don't have a problem and have to return it to NewEgg, and if you are looking to save some money on gifts." rolleyes.gif

I'd rather buy a second-hand (used) unit than a refurbed unit, but that's just me.

Already said it's a great deal if you don't have to return it, if you have to return it you can get it back within 30 days, don't need warranty repair (in Thailand), don't mind the older version, want to save money, don't have to pay state sales tax, shipping, can get it sent to you in Thailand for free, can avoid VAT.

There are a lot of places selling refurbed old N7's here in the U.S.

I saw a new 2013 N7/16 GB/WiFi only in Staples yesterday for $214, or $15 off.

Contrary to your comments, I view it as getting a great tablet for a great price, and getting a happy wife into the bargain.

I perfectly well could have bought the 2013 model direct from the Play store and paid more than double the price I paid. But as I said above, I have a pretty consistent habit to never buy the newest, just-released model of anything, and instead to wait at least a year for problems/defects to shake out. And end up saving a lot of money in the process.

The NewEgg Ebay site listing I bought the Nexus 7 2012 through already shows that listed tablet sold out with 700-900+ purchased, so I must not have been alone in thinking it was a good deal. And for me, I'd rather buy refurb thru a known large retailer, than "second hand" from Joe who knows who who's selling a single unit that's been sitting in a box in his garage.

Admittedly, it's always a risk buying technology from the U.S. for use in Thailand where warranty coverage issues come into play. But so far, I guess I've had good fortune. And although I didn't need it, NewEgg this year and in the past has had a policy of extending the return period on their holiday season purchases until sometime well into January, recognizing that a lot of purchases won't be opened or used until Christmas-time. So that's some added protection.

In the past year or so, I've purchased this Nexus 7 tablet, a Samsung Galaxy smartphone and my own Android tablet -- all at great prices and all refurbs -- and not had a single problem with any of them. Including, not having to pay any VAT or duty on arrival here in Thailand.

I have a pretty consistent habit to never buy the newest, just-released model of anything, and instead to wait at least a year for problems/defects to shake out. And end up saving a lot of money in the process.

And for me, I'd rather buy refurb thru a known large retailer, than "second hand" from Joe who knows who who's selling a single unit that's been sitting in a box in his garage.

Of course evetybody has their preferences.

But there never have been problems or glitches with the first N7.

There is no need to wait, there never have been glitches or problems with any Android flagship device.

Life cycle of Android mobile device is always 1 year. So if you wait 1 year, the only advantage is cheaper price of last years model.

Nothing wrong with buying 2nd hand device. Joe does not keep his last years N7 in a box of, in the garage. He uses it, and the moment next generation device hits the stores, Joe buys it, and he sells his old device.

Many people dont mind paying $100 more, so they can have a cutting edge phone or tablet.

There is no need to wait, there never have been glitches or problems with any Android flagship device.

I'm not sure history or the facts even remotely bear out those statements. There have been lots of complaints and lots of issues with various of the Nexus devices over time, including the latest ones.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/12/28/bug-watch-many-nexus-devices-still-suffer-from-assorted-bluetooth-issues/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/google-nexus-7-problems/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/google-nexus-7-problems/2/

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/android-4-kikat-update-nexus4-nexus7-nexus10-527126

http://gizmodo.com/nexus-7-touch-problems-persist-despite-googles-fix-1238958581

http://www.geek.com/mobile/how-to-deal-with-nexus-7-defects-1504113/

And the list could go on.... but I think the above info is illustrative of my point.

I'm not sure history or the facts even remotely bear out those statements. There have been lots of complaints and lots of issues with various of the Nexus devices over time, including the latest ones.

These are minor, insignificant issues. Waiting one year, and then buying last years model is more economical, but it is not more reliable than current model.

You just bought the last years N7 yourself! A refurbished one, to save money.

I read some of the links you posted.

I owned 2013 N7, and I did not experience a single issue, that were listed. I broke my N7 screen, because I forgot to take it out of my back pocket, before I sat down.

There are no serious issues with current Nexus 7, other than it is more fragile than 2012 N7

Is is universally considered best 7 inch tablet. All tech review sites say so. Please dont ggl in order to find some blog, that disagrees with all serious tech sites.

There is absolutely nothing wrong buying a previous generation device, in order to save money.

New, current version is always gonna be more expensive. If you have no need for cutting edge tablet, just dont buy it.

But to say last years model is somehow more reliable, than current model, is just not true.

If you had a choise, you are offered 2012 and 2013 N7, both cost $115. Would you still prefer the 2012 model?

Edited by valgehiir

I didn't say anything about last years model vs the 2013 model in terms of inherent reliability. I did say waiting a year, with any model, give you a chance to see what happens with actual users of a new device, either for better or worse. And that's certainly true, and allows a more well-informed buying decision.

I can't count the number of times a new device (Nexus and others) gets great reviews from all the tech press. But then once it's out in users hands, all kinds of issues start to arise -- things that only get discovered by real users over time and wear and use of the devices, not by tech reviewers who maybe test the unit for a week or two and then write their assessments.

I did post info on, and have on my own followed those various issues, the variety of problems that have affected A LOT of Nexus devices...and have caused headaches for a lot of Nexus owners.

Does that mean they're not among the best tablets... No... they are. But that's hardly the same as saying they've had no issues. In fact, they've all had plenty, as the various news reports I posted document. And I wouldn't call all the problems listed in those reports as minor and insignificant.

Just because your tablet has been trouble-free doesn't mean everyone else has had the same experience. If they had, the user forums wouldn't be full of reports of issues like screens coming loose, wifi problems, bluetooth problems, performance degradation due to OS issues, etc etc etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have the price in Thailand for the latest Nexus 7.

I am in Singapore right now and had a look/play in Funan shopping complex: 32gb wi-fi only : 425 S$ ~ 11.000 baht

32gb with 4G 525 S$ ~ 13700 baht.

Man the screen is nice and it seems to have a very fast processor and even good sound too, tempted to buy one but would like to hear the current price in Thailand first.

Anybody have the price in Thailand for the latest Nexus 7.

I am in Singapore right now and had a look/play in Funan shopping complex: 32gb wi-fi only : 425 S$ ~ 11.000 baht

32gb with 4G 525 S$ ~ 13700 baht.

Man the screen is nice and it seems to have a very fast processor and even good sound too, tempted to buy one but would like to hear the current price in Thailand first.

3G version 12.900 baht, 16Gb wifi only 9000 baht

Best 7 inch tablet, nothing even close to it.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought last year's N7 a couple of months ago, and really love it. I dl'd Kingston Office, a full featured Office Suite, and then bought a cheap bluetooth keyboard. It works well. Can't abide typing with my thumbs, having to constantly go back and correct typos. Set up like this, the little 7" tablet serves as a real computer. Next trip to USA I'm leaving the laptop home. While there I'm going to buy the latest model. Looks like a worthwhile upgrade. I love this thing.